Trust Me, Baby

[SERIES] Trust Me, Baby

 

I rush to the headquarters the second we landed at Salzburg. The flight took about an hour and twenty minutes. 

It seems that the fire has been succesfully extinguished but the police is still on the look-out. As if the situation was not worse at all, things are spiced up after the information that a massive investigation swat team are spotted on the way to the holdings, situated southwest from the burnt warehouses. They had suspected heavy military weapons had been transported from Russia and are to be sold to a group of terrorist who is making a move over the recent dispute of their politics. It was not exactly accurate, but they guessed well nonetheless. Their main motive is to confiscate the weapons, that is if their assumptions are correct, which it is nearly correct but not to their knowledge and another motive is to track down the supplier. 

They had faced a similar situation before and was succesful at putting the infamous multi-millionare Chinese black market dealer, Alexander, behind the bars. My position is at stake because all the contracts and signature of sending those materials were all under my name and commands. Certainly, I wouldn't want to be in the same shoe with that phsychotic bastard. I cannot imagine what would have happened if I did not rush here.

All thanks to Taemin's persuasion.

I mean, not that I'm grateful or anything. It's not like I'm here just because he told me to. And not because I wanted to show him my cool side at handling things. Definitely not because I wanted to see his sparkle of amazement when I show him my villa here. No, not at all.

I'm here to work, yes, work. And work alone.

**********

I feel kinda timid being surrounded with tall, big men as we sprint our way to the main office in this huge building, secluded in a forest where the vast yard is made a landing runway field for plane. Had Minho didn't put his hand around my shoulder and urge me to follow him, I wouldn't feel so secure being in such a zone. Itzel, being a baby herself, sleep had took her over. And how I wished I could be like her, not worrying a single thing except milk and pooping.

We passed by many room, where every people in suits were rushing in doing things and trying to work on the problems haunting their mind, face surprised when they saw Minho and his Father scurry across the corridors to the office. Two assistant are tagging behind Minho, talking non-stop about the current activities and demanding the next order to be put in action. Listening to the diligent instructions Minho made, which seemed to heal the situation little by little, seemed to me that he's very charismatic and... fascinating.

Fine. I admit, he is quite dashing.

"Minho, I have sent my men to cover the traffic." A tanned, beautifully aged woman came to the frog's side.

"You're here Kahi. Great, that should buy time for us." Minho replied. Owh, she must be some sort of an elite member of the group or something. Cool..

A man bowed before Minho corteously and stroll along with us as our steps collide. "Boss, the large arms cannot make it, they are all too heavy and---"

"Nonsense. I want all of them to evacuate properly. Not even a single smoke grenade is to be left behind or disposed."

"Forgive us, Sir. We will do all we can." The man replied. Just then, Minho's hand slide down from my shoulder to my waist, hurddling me closer.

"Listen, you will take refuge here in the headquarters. I will have someone to stay with you in case something bad happens." The frog said with his brows furrowed. It made my heart quickens, feeling somehow insecure all of the sudden. The dread of him abandoning me?

"W-why? Where are you going?" I managed to speak out in a small voice, careful not to let anyone else hear.

"After the conference, I might have to go there as well." 'there' being the warehouses or some place notorious to the police. A wave of bad feelings collapse inside my heart, definitely not to my pleasure. I look down at the floor meeting the sight of legs fast-walking towards the meeting venue. This was a bad bussiness to begin with, he should have known the consenquences. I should have known better.

Minho's hand on my waist tightens and an impossible thought ran across my mind. 

Was he hesitant to let me alone as well?

**********

I ordered everyone to proceed to the conference room as Taemin's and my steps cease before a big wooden door. It was as if big blocks of steel rest over my already heavy heart. What if I could never come back to see Taemin Itzel again? 

The supposed silence of the night hung in the air. The moonlight shone on the floor from the long white windows, casting the shadows of both of us and the lines of its own rectangulars. I look at the boy with the pretty sleeping baby held in his small arms, face dampened along with his spirits. We were far too happy and in my case, I let my guard down. I wasn't supposed to be this ignorant. 

"Hey." I called out, feeling glad that nobody was around. His eyes traveled up until it met mine.

"Everything's gonna be fine right?" Taemin asked, eyes wide and full with concern. I chuckled lightly, intending to break the tension.

"Of course you idiot. There's nothing to worry about. I'm here to work on it." I replied, patting his head unknowingly, feeling the soft strands tangle between my fingers. "Meanwhile, your work is to make sure this baby is fine enough to cry when I come back to mess with her." I added, caressing the fair cheek of the sleeping beauty. The chick stayed quiet and when I felt blunder about it, I looked up from the baby to find him gazing straight onto my orbs.

"Make sure you do. I still need to pay your debt. And.." He blinked before continuing. "Your princess needs you." Taemin announced shallowly, light rosy blush taints his round cheeks. Feeling contented, I smiled and bowed down to kiss Itzel's forehead. Her lips twitched a little and snuggled on Taemin a little more closer. Guess she likes the warmth he radiates. Well, who wouldn't?

I open the big door slowly, unraveling the sight of an anxious boy pacing back and forth. He glanced to our way as soon as he realized our intrusion.

"Taeminie!" A high-pitched voice greeted us.

"Key umma! You're here!" Taemin immediately rush to the arms that clasped him into a bone-crushing hug, minding Itzel in between. Well, at least I don't have to worry so much since that guy is here.

Worry? Why should I do in the first place..

"You frog! Why didn't you tell me Key umma is here?" The chick said, his smile never leaving his lips. "Then, Noona is here too? Where is she?"

"She's working." I pronounced, earning an immediate concerned expression from him. "Don't worry, she's somewhere safe." I added and his shoulders visibly relaxed. 

He then kept talking with his friend, laughing in between and teased Itzel constantly.  I observed them, leaning on the door frame, their happiness somewhat affecting me. I could have stayed here and watch them forever, but I had a work to do. And no matter how I wished I hadn't took that responsibility, it still would not help the situation. No matter how much I wanted this family.

It took all my might to turn around and walk away, hands tucked in pockets.

**********

"Umma, you shouldn't have done that."

"What? I didn't do anything." Key said as he avert his eyes from mine and eventually landed on Itzel. He patted the child, looking as motherly as I wanted to be.

"Don't play dumb. You thought me and the frog couldn't figure out who tricked us? It's so obvious."

"I don't know what you're talking about darling~" Key said as he dismissed the topic with a sway of his hand in the air. "By the way, you haven't tried on the clothes I bought for you!" He exclaimed as he reached for a handful of shopping bags from the floor right next to the couch.

"Wait. That's the things that---Where did it come from?"

"Yeah, the ones we bought on the outing with Dahae-noona. Dunno how it gets here though." Key said as he studied the content and picked on several bright-coloured clothes. Perhaps Minho sent someone to pick on the things in the hotel room back at Paris. I held no interest in it before but scanning once again, I realized that there was a small pink bag I had no recollection of Key or Dahae-noona buying it. As Key was busy digging on the cloth he wanted, chanting 'white, white' in a small voice, I took the bag.

Folded nicely in there, was none other than the pretty yellow baby dress I wanted to buy for Itzel before. My eyes darts in surprise, mouth slowly coming open.

Frozen, I glanced to the gaping wooden door, feeling crestfallen at the empty sight.

He's not there anymore.

**********

4 hours later.

"Well then, Sir Iseul will have to take his leave as he requires rest." Cheondung announced. Father looked at me, grim and worn glossing through each eyes of his, reflecting back on my own's. Even the other men, whether on the conference table or out risking their facade and life near the enemies are all tired with the constant problems everyone had to face.

"Will you manage through this, son?" Father asked with his deep voice. My eyes bore into him, trying to win his trust with my gaze.

"I will Father, I will." I promptly replied, intention clear and honest. He nodded.

"Enough said. I know you can." Was all he said as he walked out the room along with Cheondung who bowed before dissapearing from everyone's sight. I focused back on the situation, trying to figure out the way to make the trace of our illegal inventory looked unsuspicious. It was hard, since not much can do in this part of the country. I had not yet made any alliance with association when in case something like this happened. It didn't occur to me a fire could break and ruin everything. Especially here in Austria. A knock on the door earned every men's attention.

"Boss." Taecyeon revealed himself from the opened door.

"What is it?" I replied, growing annoyed the second I look at his face.

"Someone wants to see you." Almost everyone glanced to him, listening closely. "He said he could help, if you would hear him out."

"He's aware of our situation? Who is he?" I half-stood, expecting a threat or a beacon of hope, someone of a great name. Taecyeon scratched the back of his head, almost reluctant to answer the question.

"Err, Chairman of a cosmetic brand."

**********

I woke up to the dimness of the room, ear registering the soft sound of grandfather clock ticking. Rousing from the laid position on the couch, I stretched a bit and yawned, realizing the time was nearing dawn. It was relatively quiet, compared to last night where everyone was busy doing work. I glanced to the opposite couch, where Key slept on, curling like a cold kitten. My lips tugged into a smile, feeling warm with the blanket he must have provided when I fell asleep before him. I went to his side and gently laid the soft material on him.

"I love you, Key-omma." I whispered shallowly, thankful for his presence. When I turn around, the one-seated couch, which was made as Itzel's bed, came in sight. She was sleeping contentedly, wrapped around two clothing, an empty bottle rolled on her side, stopped by the arm of the couch. I towered over her, her cheek and planted a kiss on her beautiful temple. My angel is safe.

I wonder what happened to Minho? Should I leave the room and embark on a journey in this enormous building in search for the highest-ranked member of the society in here? That's impossible, I suppose, considering the number of guards he placed outside the door. They would follow me even when I wanted to go to the restroom. Persistent and annoying, but reassuring. Guess I'm stuck here until the frog comes and pick me up.

"But, Sir Minho ordered.." A small conversation drifted behind the door. Curious, I slowly walk to it only to stop my steps when it suddenly opened, revealing the sight of two unexpected guests.
"Father! Why are you--" I eyed him and Cheondung with surprise dancing in my eyes. 

"I wanted to see you. How do you find the hospitality? I know it is not much.."

"Oh, not at all. The couch was so comfortable and big, I had a good night rest. Thank you." I replied hastily, keeping my voice low when I remembered about Itzel and Key still sleeping. Father seemed to have taken note of them. He look back at me. 

"Would you accompany me for a walk, Taemin?" He requested. It was another surprise favour he wanted from me. Well, not as surprising as the first one he asked, to marry Minho.

"Um yes, my pleasure." I replied.

"But Sir Taemin, Boss aren't going to like this.." The guard tried to stop me.

"Mind your Manner. This is a request from Sir Iseul, you should know better actions to take." Cheondung scolded him, eyes glinting with cold and strictness. The guard apologetically look down, uncertainty ghosting on his back. Father raised his hand half-heartedly to halt the conversation.
"Don't be so harsh on him Cheondung. He is doing a fine work as a bodyguard and it never hurts to be too careful." Father said calmly. His attendant bowed to his words. 

"You may follow us. But do not make yourself apparent. Surely you don't want to anger Minho when he hears that his lover's comfort is not properly looked upon, hrm?" Father said. I blush to his statement but my tongue just couldn't curl up words that could defect him. He trust me so much, it could almost be life-threatening. The guard quickly agreed.

"Come Taemin." Father offered his elbow. I stood clueless and hesitant. When Cheondung clears his throat, I snap out of my daydream and quietly linked arms with Father, trying hard to look as composed as I could eventhough my stomach was churning.

The guards split into two groups, one to follow us out and another to stay and guard Itzel and Key. I needn't worry much for Itzel necessities since Key is there and even if she runs out of diapers or milk powder, there are lots of volunteers that could go out and purchase them.

Father leaded me out of the stuffy building and the cold morning breeze hit my face and body, smelling almost salty and lite. We walked in silence, Cheondung also made himself less apparent, allowing us great solace and privacy. As we pass  out of the forest, my feet at last step onto the golden, sprinkly sand of a beach I failed to realize of its existance yesterday. Perhaps I was too preoccupied with... well, different kind of things. 

I let my tension go and sighed significantly, suddenly feeling light after loosening the tensed muscle. The sound of the thunderous waves crashing on the beach and the suction of sand in to the ocean, together with the faint sound of birds in the background were a fresh relieve. It was still a bit dark despite the morning, but it felt nice nonetheless with the scenery and all. What I know is that, its not gonna be sunny today.

"Tell me, Taemin." Father spoke, earning my attention. He tucked his walking stick under his arms as to not diry it with the gritty sand. "What do you see in my son?" I blink to his question. I did not know how to answer since, really, there's nothing between me and Minho. But he cared so much it almost hurt myself to tell him the truth.

"He is... admirable when it comes to guiding his men. But, most of the time he is... pardon my words, but he is somewhat annoying." I bit my lower lip, stopping the sentence eventhough I wanted to add so much to the list. A jerk, nosy, persistent, frog, sometimes helpful... sometimes dashing. No, wait. What?

Father let out a low growly laugh. "How in the world did you think I was referring to Minho?" Then it hit me, he had another son!

"Um, I err..." I gulped down to calm myself down. "Silly me hehe.. Compared to Niel, well he is much taller. But Niel is better at handling kids, although Itzel seems to have some sort of attachment to him. And frankly, he is a ert when it comes to stalking, but there is not offence in my words. It's just that Niel is not one to intently pry on people while on the other hand, he was once and twice caught in his action, stalking. Plus, he d---"

"Be collected, child." Father shut me up after ramming out fast words. I mumble a sorry to him, looking down shamefully. 

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that you never really," Father paused, seemingly to think whether to say it out or not. He did anyways. "I doubt that you two never really call each other by names." He finished. My eyes widen at his exclaim. Come to think of it, we never really do!

"You are very keen, Father." I said, tongue still feeling awkward to call him Father. He laughed.
"I will take that as a compliment. I only realize it after meeting you. Minho have mentioned of you before, but without a name. Only when Bae Dahae contacted Cheondung and after hearing the full story, have I come to know of your beautiful name, Taemin." I blush again, feeling jelly and gooey. It felt like a curse, a doom with clock ticking on top of my head counting every second the well-favored lie Father assumes as a deadly truth. But Minho talked about me? Hey, that's a discovery.

"I know. I am well aware that you two are not lovers." Father suddenly stated which halted my steps. He knew? Tell me about it..

He also stops walking and faced me. "He's a son that rarely speak to me, his own Father. We had a frigid relationship." He said, looking almost depressed. His brows starts to furrow and I didn't like it one bit. "We were very awkward to each other. Each company felt distant and confining."

"But Taemin, he talked to me. About you. And not about work." His gaze started to soften and it brought a smile to me. "Eventhough it was only a few words in a mere moment, he sounded so elated I was moved. I can see you empowers him in a positive way. Thank you. I missed him so much." He added, bowing slightly. I hastily bowed back, feeling weird that a man of great presence such as him bowing to me.

"Father," I started. I went to his side, linking our arms together again and continue strolling the beach side. "Tell me of his childhood. Surely he was much more charming." I said with a smile carved on my lips. Father chuckled and if I could say so, he looked eager to tell me about Minho.

I don't like Minho. I hate that frog.

But it's been a long time I felt the warmth of a father's hand.

His little wish in his big heart wouldn't do harm to me if I tried to make it come true, right?

**********

"And you demand a pair of eyes, free of charges from the black market?" I voiced out to the the man sitting opposite of me.

"If you want your record clean and your holdings safe, that is. I can arrange that." He replied serenely, eyes binking seductively. I cross my legs, thinking if it is really in my best interest to heed to his plea.

"Why are you offering such a deal?"

"I think that is out of your bussiness. Now do you want to sign in or not?"

"Sweet , you're so impatient." I snide and smirked, which made him rolled his brown eyes. "Fine. I bet my life on it." I exclaimed, earning a few protest and some who just went 'just do something about it'.

"I see you know how to make a great decision despite being a jerk." The man grinned and sighed. "Finally.." He murmured to himself.

His assistant came and opens up a leather bag, producing a few contract papers to sign. The agreement is sealed with a handshake and swearing of a fair play.

"When can I collect my property?" He questioned.

"Well frankly, I think it would take time. I don't usually find a client that wants a fresh pair of eyes. So pardon if I don't have such... in my inventory." I chuckled almost mockingly.

"Shut it. You won't understand. I'm in a desperate condition. I would not do such filthy bussiness if I did not have to." He grimaced, looking out the window as if remembering something painful. I could only observe, uninterested with his life story.

"If I find a volunteer, or most likely a victim," I paused. He winced with the words, obviously innocent to the harsh world of black market bussiness. "Your address will be the first one I'd send to."

"No, I will collect it. Understand? Only I." He demanded, nervous eyes gazing right onto mine.

"Fine. Sorry if it offended your ." I joked lightly. What a weird dude..

**********

"Sir Iseul." Cheondung rushed to Father's side, whose smile immediately falters and turn around to face his attendant.

"What is it Cheondung?" His brows furrow.

"Sir, I think you are tired enough. You have to rest." Cheondung said worriedly. Father growled in an opposing manner, obviously against the idea. "Besides, I am expecting a downpour considering the gloominess of the sky." Cheondung added. "Please, Sir, the harsh wind are not going to make it easy for you." I look up on the dark canopy, liking the weather. I admit, I do favour this more than a sunny day.

"Yes Father. I think so too. We can continue our conversation when you regain your energy back." I assured him, unlinking our arms and patted his shoulder.

"I will do so then. I am, quite tired." Father finally agreed, nodding. An immediate relief wash over Cheondung's face and he glanced at me, thanking silently. I blushed to the charming man. 

"Thank you Taemin, for your time." Father said, patting my hand in his own. I could only smile sincerely as I wave them goodbye. Step by step, they grow further until they dissapear into the deep darkness of the forest.

I sigh deeply, feeling truly composed being alone at last. Gazing out the vast ocean like this, I thought of how weird my life had turned out to be. How in the hell did I ended up here, among the bad guys, protected within their realm? Not to mention their biggest head is expecting me to marry his son.They are too different from the life I once had.

The life I once had? Which one?

With a slow pace, I began walking again, facing down. Bugged with the phases of my life, I travel upon my memories. I wonder if the people I met, throughout my life, has ever been blessed earnestly. 

I remember my real father, and mother, currently fighting their lives out of comatose. How I wish I could be by their side. But I could only offer prayers to them in this condition.

I remember my old friends I left back at my hometown, promises not yet implemented. Childishness calling for me but I know I have to be strong.

I remember Key, who had to look after me and still look after me without complaining. The only friend I could rely on.

I remember one named Jungmo...

Jjong..

A sting in my eyes made me stop my feet, eyes wavering upwards to try withstand the leaking drops. God, I need to stop this..

A flash in the sky, followed by a foul and temperous thundering sound made myself flinch. Perhaps, I need to retire for the walk as well. Before I made a turn with my feet, something caught my eyes' attention. 

And just couldn't let go off the sight.

**********

"Tell me, why are you keeping your real name a secret?" I said as my men and I walked with the bussiness man through the corridors, leading him out of the building.

"How did you know it wasn't a real name?" He said coldly as if did not anticipate my discovery. I chuckled.

"Well, it just occured to me that Torch doesn't sound suitable to your pretty face." I replied. "What's your name? I've told mine and it's only fair of you to tell me yours as well, hrm?" The man directed his eyes to me, seemingly gauging whether to tell or not. He finally sighs and gives in.

"Call me Kevin."

*********

It was like a dream. No. This is.. A nightmare.

There was a man, lying on a beach chair, here on the place that I totally assumed was alone aside myself. His hands come together at his stomach and a brown fedora covered over his face.

His figure is frighteningly familiar it scared me. I couldn't breathe and my movement ceased. Another small thunderous sound lit up the sky and after a few agonizing seconds, the man stood up. His hand holding on the fedora and put it on his familiar brown hair. My mouth quivered and my whole body trembled lightly.

No. Not true right?

He walked towards me, unrealizing my presence until our shoulders bumped. "Sorry, um, I couldn't see." His serene, mellifluous voice drifted into my ears. I stare into him, finding a blank, empty and lifeless eyes merely gazing forward. 

He walked past by as if nothing happened. As if we were strangers.

I couldn't speak. Couldn't respire. Couldn't cry with eyes wide and fearful. His face, voice and all. My hand grasp the shoulder where he grazed earlier, relishing the contact.

Blind. Jonghyun is blind?
 
 
 
 
A/n: Ah.. sorry for the late update. Caught a real bad cold. ^^''