Chapter 5

Gone 너만 없다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night passed and a new day arrived. Butler Song knocked on the young master’s door to wake them up. Minseok shifted at the sound of that routine knock and opened his eyes. His tired eyes shook awake when he saw how close he was to his wife. Instinctively, he jolted back and hit his head on the side table. Hyerin shifted in her sleep and opened her eyes. She moved towards Minseok when her eyes focused on his hand that was rubbing his head. “Are you alright?” she touched his hand.

“I’m fine,” he answered, “I just got shocked by how close we were. It’s my first time waking up to someone in my bed.” Hyerin blushed at his words. She realized it was her first time too.

“We need to get ready for our flight,” Minseok reminded, “I’ll wash up quickly while you… get your stuff.”

 

When Hyerin got out of the bathroom, Minseok wasn’t in the room. Cautiously, she went down the stairs and saw the Kim family already at the table. She rushed to the table and apologized for her tardiness. She sat down and saw Minseok smiling at her. His mouth was stuffed with eggs and toast. “Toast or pancakes?” he asked. “Toast, please,” she answered. Butler Song placed a plate of eggs and toast by in front of the young mistress. She thanked him for his service. This was the first time she had woken up as a young mistress.

“Are you ready for your flight?” Mr. Kim asked as he cut his pancake.

“We’re more or less packed,” Minseok replied for them with barely any excitement in his voice –just responsibility.

Mr. Kim nodded, “Well, enjoy yourselves. Make the most out of your three days.”

 

Hyerin stood behind Minseok as he handled the check-in. She looked up at the screen that flashed the “Business Class” sign. She knew she was in for many firsts with her new life. She had never left the country, not even with her father. Boarding, the couple sank into the business class couches. Everything was new to Hyerin. Minseok chuckled as he watched her put on the seat buckle. She scowled at him and told him to stop mocking her. Hyerin couldn’t help but gasp and exclaim as the plane lifted off the ground. Minseok chuckled and grabbed her hand. “Relax,” he instructed.

After two hours, the plane arrived at Kansai International Airport. “Welcome to Japan,” Minseok said to his wife. He was like an excited boy walking through the airport, eager to go home. Holding her hand, he dragged her around the airport. A chauffeur was waiting for them outside the arrival gate. Minseok smiled at the chauffeur, “Mr. Yoon.”

“This is my wife, Hyerin,” he introduced. Hyerin bowed to the man who bowed to her, “Pleased to meet you, madam.” Hyerin was shocked and Minseok laughed. “Get used to it, second Mrs. Kim,” Minseok teased. She smacked his chest, “Yah. You’re a man so you have no idea how impactful it is for me, a woman.”

“Arasso, let’s go YEOBO,” he teased. Hyerin let it go because they were equally embarrassed at the nickname.

 

As Mr. Yoon drove them to the villa, Minseok took out his phone and typed something. He smiled and handed Hyerin the phone.

Mr. Yoon is our family chauffeur in Japan. I’m sure he will report back to my parents. Please bear with this for the trip, Yeobo.

Hyerin smiled at him. Minseok grinned and said, “Yeobo.” With a finger, she pressed hard on his temple and he cried out softly.

 

In their bedroom, they changed into more comfortable clothes. “Sorry about this,” Minseok said to Hyerin softly. She smiled and shook her head, “It’s ok. I’m getting something out of this remember? Besides, it’s a free trip to Japan for me!”

“Well then, Mrs. Kim,” he stretched out his folded arm, “Let this tour-guide husband of yours show you the beauty of Osaka.” Hyerin hooked her arm to his and let him bring her out of the house, where Mr. Yoon was waiting for them.

 

Mr. Yoon brought them to a teahouse up in the forest. Hyerin watched the Teishu place Wagashi in front of Minseok. Minseok bowed back to the Teishu and waited for the teacups to be warmed. Minseok signaled to Hyerin to try the snack. Hyerin observed the intricate ceremony carefully. She was in her own world learning the ceremony, unaware that Minseok was observing her.

“Was it fun?” Minseok asked as they walked to the car, arms hooked together. She nodded. “I could tell. You were so immersed.” “Well I could say the same about you Mr. Kim,” she rebutted teasingly, “Staring at me like that.” Minseok scoffed in embarrassment.

 

By the time the car had arrived back into the city, the sun had set. That was the effect of winter. The car parked by the road, and Minseok led his wife on a walk with Mr. Yoon in front of them. Hyerin was beyond delighted when she heard that they had arrived at a school of traditional dance. Minseok grinned at his excited wife.

The couple sat in the theatre and watched the performance. A geisha entered the stage in her kimono with a fan in her hand. The musician started to sing, and the geisha opened her fan. “This is called the Four Seasons of Kyoto,” Minseok whispered to Hyerin, “Try to guess the seasons.”

Hyerin, however, was more interested in the Geisha detail. She watched how the geisha moved around in her tightly bound kimono without tripping. An unconscious smile appeared on her face as she watched a Maiko perform her dance. Then the smile slowly disappeared from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter