Chapter 2

Gone 너만 없다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His heartbeat raced even faster at her name. “I won’t do it,” he said immediately. “I’m sorry, but I can’t.”

“But you agreed to it,” his mother said.

“I never agreed,” he stated, “I just asked what was her name, so I would know who’s the unfortunate girl marrying me.”

“And why wouldn’t you do it?” his father asked, a little fuming from the sudden disagreement.

“Because I don’t want to,” Minseok repeated, “They have to find someone else for her to marry, because I’m not doing it.” He got up from his chair and bowed to his parents before retreating upstairs to his room.

 

A knock came on his room door. Mrs. Kim opened the door gently and saw her son lying on the bed. “Son,” she said when she sat next to him, “Talk to me.”

“I won’t do it, eomma,” Minseok reasserted, “You can’t change my mind.”

“Why?” she asked, “Is it… Do you like her?”

“No,” he answered. Of all people, why did it have to be her?

“Then why?” she asked again.

“Because,” he answered with a sigh, “Just because.”

She sighed. “If you can’t give us a good reason, then you will marry her. This is for her sake. Don’t you want to get married?’

“No,” he answered curtly, “You know why, eomma.”

Her heart was hit with hurt. “I’ll leave you alone,” she said softly and left the room. He lay on the bed, his mind totally messed up with so many thoughts.

 

His pen continuously tapped the clipboard on the table. Minseok was deep in thought. “Yah, what’s wrong?” Minseok broke from his thoughts. Speaking of the devil, his Chinese friend was staring at him. “You’ve been tapping the board for a while, it’s annoying,” his best friend said.

“What are you so deep in thought about?” His doe-eyed friend sat down next to him. Minseok looked at his best friend who was smiling at him, not knowing anything. “Nothing,” Minseok answered, “I was just tired.”

“Well, smile,” Luhan smacked Minseok’s back, “Coz the kids are not going to like a frowning doctor.”

 

“The meeting is on Friday,” Mr. Kim said at the dinner table that night. “All of us will be having dinner together. So don't hang too late after your piano class.”

“I’m not marrying her,” Minseok argued again. “You can’t make me.”

“I can and I will,” his father assured, “So stop being a brat and open your eyes! She’s a vulnerable girl in this world of corruption!”

“But she will not be any better in my care!” Minseok rebutted.

“She will be, son,” his father tried to calm down. “You just have to try.” The dinner atmosphere had become tense again. Minseok ate his dinner, trying to hold back his tears. His dinner tasted bitter.

 

He showed up at his internship late the next day. His thoughts had kept him up the night before. Looking at his best friend, he knew he was in trouble. The date probably did not start well or end well. Luhan had a disturbed expression on his face. “Yah,” Minseok said. Luhan looked up at his friend with a hurt expression. “Don’t talk to me,” he mumbled.

“Han-ah, I swear I had no idea,” Minseok tried to explain. “Forget it,” his friend interrupted, “There’s nothing we can do. Just- Just take care of her please.”

 

Another night passed with barely any words at the dinner table. Minseok had admitted defeat, not knowing how to run from the situation. The next day, Minseok drove to his escape. Piano lessons always left him refreshed. But the suit hanging by the car window behind the passenger seat dampened his spirit. He arrived at the Park residence and took his piano book with him to the house. He did not expect to walk into another problem.

“Why can’t I continue?!” He could hear Hyerin’s voice. He just stood at the front door, unsure whether to knock.

“Because it’s too dangerous!” her father answered, “They are getting students to perform for them now! There is no way I will let you continue.”

“They wouldn’t call on Gyeonggido

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter