Chapter 1

Gone 너만 없다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The year is 2016. The nation has reached a turning point, where the future looked like history. Corruption ran through aristocracy while fear ran through the common class. Arranged marriages weren’t made for investments anymore. They were made for protection.

 

Hyerin walked through the gate and towards the house. Entering her home, she heard that weekly routine sound of the piano that rang through the house every Monday and Thursday. Automatically, she left her bag in her room upstairs and went down to the kitchen. Picking ingredients out from the fridge, she began preparing dinner. As the fragrance of the stew wafted through the house, the sound of the piano stopped.

 

“Can I stay for dinner?” Hyerin jumped at the voice, almost dropping the ladle in her hand. “You scared me,” she mumbled before raising her voice, “Can you stop doing that?!”

“What are you making?” he asked and walked over to her. He peered into the pot of boiling stew. “Looks delicious.”

“It is delicious,” she bragged jokingly. “Why are you still here?”

“Ouch,” he feigned hurt, “Well your food smelled good so I decided to look before I go, hoping you’d offer some to me.”
“I’d offer, but your parents have never allowed it, have they?” she stated.

“Touché,” he replied, “One day. One day I will have your food.”

“But that day is not today, Young Master Kim,” she smiled, “You should get going before it gets too dark.”

“Arasso,” he sighed, “I’m going.” “Teacher Park, I’m leaving,” he said in the hall before walking out the front door.

 

“How was school?” Mr. Park asked over the dinner table.

“It was ok. I’m getting used to the new dance choreography,” she said with a smile.

“You know what I’m referring to,” he said without returning the smile.

Her smile fell, knowing exactly what he meant. “Can we not talk about it?” she asked. “No” was the reply.

“Dad, they’re not going to hire dance students, so stop worrying,” she tried to appease him.

“But they will hire traditional dancers,” he stated, “And that is what you will become.”

“But I wouldn’t take their offer,” she argued back, “They can have the rest of the troupe.”

“But you don’t have a choice!” he said with a raised voice. He sighed as the air in the dining hall became solemn. “Can’t you hold off dancing until this dark period is over?”

“But when will that be, Dad?” she asked as tears welled up in her eyes.

“I don’t know,” he answered in defeat, “But I will do whatever I can to make sure that you do not fall into their hands. And you need to do whatever you can too.” He stretched out his hand to hold hers. “You’re all I have left, Rin-ah.” She held on to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter