promise

A Lady’s First | Editing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 ♡ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 promise

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Hi gege.” Jia grinned as soon as she spotted the doe-eyed man behind the register.

“Hey, mei.” Luhan beamed in return, lifting a hand to wave at her. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought I’d drop by and say hello,” she replied. “Am I not allowed to do that or something?” Her bottom lip proceeded to poke out, showing off a small pout to which the man chortled at.

“You’re such a kid sometimes, Jia. Of course you can drop by whenever you’d like. I was just asking because it’s getting late and even though Seoul is a pretty safe city, it’s still not good for a girl to be wandering around by herself at night. No matter how brave and courageous she may be,” he explained as he shook his head.

“I can manage, ge. Can I have my usual please?” Jia requested as she took out her wallet.

“Strawberry milk with a slice of chocolate cake coming right up.” Luhan announced happily, his eyes transforming into crescent moons.

Next, Jia took a seat at the table she always occupied whenever she visited the cafe and allowed her eyes to scan the interior of the shop. To her surprise, there weren’t too many people this evening. Just herself, a couple who looked like they were in their late twenties, an older man clad in business attire with his laptop opened in front of him and a  phone pressed to his ear and a girl about her own age. However, with the way she dressed and the amount of make-up she had slathered across her face, she could pass for a twenty-one year old.

From what Jia could see, the girl looked pissed off. Her eyebrows were furrowed at the center as she constantly checked her phone. Jia began to wonder why her mood was so sour but once Luhan appeared in front of her with her order in his possession, she broke her gaze and settled her eyes on him instead. “Thanks.” She smiled, handing him the amount due. However, like he usually did, Luhan only took half of what she owed and returned the rest to her. “Ge,” she exhaled dejectedly. She should have expected this.

“I told you I get a discount because I’m an employee here. Since I don’t really come here when I’m off the clock, I don’t get to use it, so why shouldn’t you? It’s totally fine. Don’t worry about it,” he assured. “How long do you plan on staying anyways?”

“Mhm.” Jia uncapped her bottle of milk and placed the straw inside so that it would be easier for her to drink it. “I don’t know. Probably not longer than an hour.”

“That’s good then. I get off in thirty minutes. I’ll bring you home,” Luhan declared.

Jia’s eyes rounded as fell ajar. “No, it’s okay. My house is very far from here. It’ll be too much of a nuisance for you. There’s no need.” She tried to convince him to change his mind but from the way he shook his head whilst the corners of his lips were curled upward told her that his mind was already made and there wasn’t any room for her to negotiate. “Fine,” she resigned, switching to Korean. “But don’t blame me if you get a leg cramp on your way back.”

“I won’t.” He laughed, holding his palm up. It was like he was taking an oath of some sort. 

Then the bells jingled, plundering both of their attentions. Luhan was the first to look over and Jia was quick to mimic his actions. When they were both greeted by a familiar fluff of dark red hair, the male groaned while she, on the other hand, had her eyes widened in fascination. It was Mark! Just as she was about to call to him, Jia’s words suddenly got jammed in the back of as a pretty girl joined the boy’s side, curling her arm intimately around his.

Her head fell against his shoulder and, for a second, Jia was utterly baffled. No she wasn’t jealous. Stunned was more like it. She didn’t know Mark had a girlfriend. Like a real one that wasn’t Eunmi. The two of them fit really well together if she had to be truthful. His handsomeness added with the girl’s undeniable beauty could have anyone on the street thinking that they were models suited for a Calvin Klein couple advertisement.

“I can’t believe this,” the girl Jia had been observing earlier growled spitefully as she shot up to her feet. Jia blinked in bewilderment as she watched the girl stomp up to Mark and his girlfriend. She didn’t know what was going on but she didn’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that trouble was quickly approaching.

“So what I’ve heard about you is true.” The girl gritted her teeth, her eyes shifting from Mark to the other female snuggled against his arm.

“Sorry I came late,” the boy apologized insincerely. “As you can already guess, I had a prior engagement to tend to. Did you have fun, Solbi?” He glanced at the girl hugging his arm and sent her a flirtatious wink.

Solbi giggled and their interaction fueled the third party’s anger even more. “Stop it, Mark. We’re out in public.”

“You think you’re going to chase me a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter