The Reigning Queen

The Elites and Socialites [CANCELED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unto the third... :D

What irked him the most was that he didn't have a suit to wear and was stuck wearing Jonghyun's suit that was too snug for him when it came to the length. It didn't help that the limousine driver had come right on time. Not a second late or a second early. Then was the fact that he completely forgot about his worries when all he would do was text Amber and she would reply with frustrated words. In where all of them mentioned in some way or another that he should stop bugging her or she would block his number. Her empty threats made him laugh and forget enough that after having done his homework he thought he had a free day.

Clearly he was mistaken on hoping he would not meet a certain someone while he was there. In fact she was guiding him around her "humble abode" that was anything but that. Their driveway had about a mile and a half drive before coming into a roundabout. In the center of the roundabout was a fountain that had too many intricate and elaborate designs for him to actually tell if it was cherubs or another copy of Greek sculptures. The home itself stood ground in what he figured was more than 100 acres. It stood tall and grandeurs almost rivaling the beauty of the palace at Versailles. Though its length was much shorter it still had guest homes or rooms enough to hold almost all, if not all, their help.

Kibum still wanted to hang himself at seeing a young lady at the door step. She was dressed in a peach colored lace dress that flowed out. It collared around her neck in lace and wrapped around her arms unto each ring finger that was pulled through. Her hair was loose and wavy with a flower pin on top as she had minimal makeup but a lipstick color that went with her dress. When he got out of the car she giggled, running to him in her ballet flats, holding onto his arm.

His nightmare was met with the realization that this was Krystal Jung. The reigning queen of the school. She was all smiles as she showed him around the house. The grand staircase, their marble floors, the high rise ceilings with crystal chandeliers, it was all very overwhelming for him. He processed as little as possible of what she said. That was until they passed by a marble pillar into what looked like a study room.

Krystal had finally let go of his arm and stopped in front of him. "This is one of our four studies. I'm bringing you to this one because it is the one with all my memories."

Kibum followed behind Krystal as she talked about each picture hanging on the wall. She showed him the ones of her as a small child with her friends. Only one caught his attention. It was in the end of her life journey until recent times. There were six girls in the picture and one of them was Amber. Of course he didn't know it was Amber at first. She looked completely different than now. Her hair was to her shoulders as she wore the school uniform. Only this time it was the females uniform. He couldn't help but smile at the fact that he saw her feminine side. 

"Oh that's me, Sulli, Suzy, my older sister Jessica, and Sulli's older sister Sooyoung."

"What about this girl?"

"That's Amber. She doesn't really matter anymore in my life." It was said smugly and ignorant.

Kibum scuffed under his breath. "Why keep the picture then?"

"I like how I look in that picture. Cutting her out would also ruin it. We should probably go, dinner should be served soon."

Krystal turned around when Kibum took out his phone and took a picture of feminine Amber. Krystal must have heard the click because when he turned around, she and her preppy clothing and beautiful smile were looking at him. He only shrugged at her stare.

"You know, I have a boyfriend."

"Oh no this is so I know who your friends are at school."

"Right, whatever makes you think you're sneaky. It's okay I know I'm beautiful."

Kibum grimaced at Krystal's elated ego as she spun on her heel to lead the way to the dining room. He only smiled when he looked at the picture just planning to tease Amber when he saw her at school tomorrow. If it weren't for the high ego and what happened with Amber, Krystal wouldn't be that bad. She seemed sweet enough with her smile but he was too used to beauty being a show to hide who the person truly was inside. 

So he settled for following the girl with the ego the size of her home. She led him through the hallway and into a well-lit dining room. The walls were an egg shell white with high rise windows lining one side and a grand mirror lining the other. The mirror and whiteness reflected the lights enough that Kibum was amazed at the fancy plate setting. Something told him he would not be eating a traditional Korean meal with the way the table was set up. There were four place settings and he inwardly groaned when Krystal sat him down and she sat beside him with a smile. He returned the smile tentatively and looked fixedly in front of him. It was nerve wrecking the way she studied him. He felt like he had committed a crime and was under inspection with her none stop stares.

"Have you ever thought of going blonde? Blonde would suit you nicely."

Krystal passed a hand through his hair while he controlled himself from shaking her hand off. Instead he politely removed her hand and smiled. "No I never have."

"You should consider it."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Also have you ever had a nickname?"

"I've always gone as Kibum if that's what you’re inquiring."

"Kibum ... Ki would be short for that. I think I'll call you Key. It's unique and different. I like you Key. I think we’ll be great friends. Wait until you find out how my parents became your sponsor."

"Why Krystal it isn't nice to make our guest feel uncomfortable."

The entrance of Mr. and Mrs. Jung was just as he expected it to be. Both showed dignified class in the way they presented themselves. Mr. Jung was in his business attire but held a stance that intimidated Kibum by just watching him come in. The stance alone made him stand up and bow to his sponsors. Mrs. Jung showed humility in how little she showed of her wealth. She wore little to no jewels minus the pearl necklace and diamond earrings Kibum could see behind her short curled hair. She dressed in a long emerald dress that looked far too elegant to be for a dinner. Kibum said nothing to that but her pose spoke of aristocracy, contradicting her attempt at being humble.

In the whole time he had spent with Krystal, he never saw her nervous until now. She stood next to him and slightly bowed her head to her parents while smoothing out her dress. She twirled her loose waves around to create small loops as she touched the flower pin on her head to make sure it was still there. She was nervous and from the look Mrs. Jung gave to the way her daughter was dressed, she did not fully approve. Mr. Jung sat down and motioned for him and Krystal to do the same.

"Krystal darling, did you not see the dress I pulled out for you?"

"I did and it was beautiful but I thought this would have been better." Krystal’s voiced shook as she spoke almost in fear.

"You look like a child. The other dress would have showed your assets more."

"I have Minho, mother."

"Never hurts to keep your options open."

Before he could stop himself, Kibum spoke to her defense. "I find that she looks quite lovely. The outfit encompasses her youth."

"He's right dear. Krystal looks quite charming this evening. The dress you picked out could be saved for another gala in which she will be with Minho."

Silenced followed as the maids and butler came out to serve the first course. Krystal made a small gesture of holding his hand and squeezing it as a word of thanks for what he did. He wasn't even sure why he did it but he almost felt her fear. She had turned from a girl so sure of herself to a deer caught in headlights. It was a pathetic side to have witnessed and made her almost like-able and human to him. Almost being the very important key word.

Throughout the first course Kibum made point of speaking as little as he could. He would only nod here and there to the business conversation Mr. Jung was providing to his wife and daughter. From time to time a question would be asked to Krystal about school and her friends. The most asked question and done multiple times by her mother was asking about Minho one way or another. Kibum had only seen a picture of Choi Minho in the study. It was a picture of him and Krystal sitting by the pool during the summer. They were brightly smiling and he wondered if it was as fairytale as it seemed. From Krystal's nerved answers he knew it wasn't all smooth sailing as presumed by others. She sold it nicely and part of him could hear in her tone how she was trying to convince herself that they were fine.

At some point during the second course and dessert the conversation turned to talk about him. He was asked the usual questions on how he liked school and how he adapted to the changes. He answered as honest as he could. It seemed to please both the Jung's at his answer.

"I had told our daughter to show you around. I guess she must have forgotten. I am glad that someone was able to help."

Mrs. Jung was smiling at him sweetly but sent a disapproving smile towards Krystal. "I couldn't quite locate him mother."

"I'm sure you were quite busy."

It was uncomfortable for him whenever they would speak to each other. Mr. Jung seemed to feel the same when he turned towards him to direct a new question. "By any chance do you happen to know the name of the student that helped you? I feel they deserved our gratitude."

Kibum thought of saying it had been Amber but decided against it. "I never caught their name. They did not speak much if at all."

He hadn't lied. Amber really did not speak much to him when she lent a helping hand. She never really spoke much but he felt comfortable with her. It was the complete opposite of how he felt with Krystal who spoke a lot as if fearing the silence.

"It probably was the Liu's daughter. When she would spend time here, she would always help me out with my designs. She has an eye for fashion. Whatever happened to her darling, I don't see her around much."

The answer to his question was clear now. Krystal kept the picture of Amber for pretense. Her parents didn't know about the fall-out and by word of mouth it was probable that the Jung's and Liu's were acquainted with each other.

"I told you before mother. She is rather busy with her new boyfriend. I barely see her around school."

"Odd, at the gala last week I saw her with her friend Henry. Was her new boyfriend not available? Don’t tell me it's that boy Kris? I never really liked him for her. He was handsome and seemed interested in our Amber but something was off with him."

"Oh it is Kris. I haven't kept much in touch with him either. But we shouldn't focus on that mother. We're getting to know Key here?"

"Key?"

"You're daughter thought it would be nice to bestow a nickname on me."

"Our Krystal has always liked giving the people she likes nicknames. Who was it first that you named, Jinri as Sulli or Jongin as Kai?" Mr. Jung spoke up again to ask Krystal a question to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter