ONE

Opposites Attract

Chapter One

Peace. Quiet. Alone.

That’s how Sora liked it, so how did she end up here of all places? The clammy bodies pressed together, pungent odor of alcohol, and blasting speakers were already giving Sora a headache. How could anyone find this place enjoyable? She grimaces in distaste as she scans the darkly lit room, searching for a familiar face. The dark stench of smoke nearly chokes her as a group of old men saunter by, not failing to let their eyes eat at Sora’s presence. Uncomfortable. That’s how this setting made her feel. She crosses her arms, tightening the sleeves of her cardigan to cover her better.
“Where is he?” She impatiently mutters, still searching among the shadowy figures in the room. Sora reaches inside her handbag for her cellphone, dialing the number in annoyance. Two rings go off before the call is answered on the other side.
“Where are you?!” Sora shouts into the phone’s speaker trying to overcome the blaring music on the dancefloor. She waits a couple seconds for an answer but she’s not sure if it’s because he’s not talking or if she just can’t hear him over the noise.
“Hello!?” She attempts to talk again but is met with the sound of the call ending. In frustration, she groans. This was ridiculous.

Bzzz

Oh Sehun: Second floor

Oh Sehun: Room E

Sora scoffs, of course they would be in a private room. Her pace picks up the stairs, not wanting to be in here any longer than she must. In fact, she already feels suffocated in this dump. Her eyes land on the white colored E sign on the door. Should she knock? No, she was beyond pissed that she already had to come this far in the first place. Without another thought she barges in, annoyance radiating from her irises.

Immediate regret floods her chest as she is greeted with half women, horrified screams, and looks of amusement. Her cheeks flush a dark pink as she turns her head to the side and clears .
“Oh Sehun?” She calls out, refusing to let her eyes look anywhere other than the wall.
“You should’ve came dressed for the occasion, doll.” A boy coos from the corner of the red leather booth. Sora rolls her eyes, finally giving the crowd a pointed look. They all have amused smirks dancing on their lips, except one. His lips don’t have a tale of a smile, but his eyes sparkle with curiosity, taking Sora off guard. It takes a moment for her to tear her gaze away from the silver-haired boy.
“Where’s Sehun?” Sora demands, impatience dripping through her words.
“Calm down, I’m right here.” Sehun’s voice drawls out. Sora’s gaze follows where the familiar voice comes from, spotting the dark-haired male who is all too comfortably seated underneath a sequin cladded woman. He sends her a not so genuine smile before beckoning her to come over with his two fingers. Sora reluctantly walks over to his side, her glare not ceasing for a single moment.
“Where is it?” She demands with her hands open and expectant.
“I said calm down, didn’t I?” Sehun raises one brow. Sora’s jaw clenches. She swears, if she didn’t have the disadvantage here, she would’ve sent a hard punch into his face by now.
“Oh Sehun, where is it?” Sora asks again, a smile forcefully stretched across her lips.
“Much better.” Sehun gives a satisfied grin before reaching sideways towards a black bag. He pulls out a handful of papers, slightly wrinkled from being incorrectly stuffed inside the folder. Sora sighs with relief after scanning over the document in her hands, making sure it’s the correct one. At least he did his work.
“See you whenever!” Sehun calls out as Sora slams the door behind her wake.

 It was just her luck that she’d get assigned partners with the only student who doesn’t show up to lecture. The cocky idiot had refused to meet up on campus to do their assignment together, he insisted that this was the only place he’d meet her. Sora sighs, just glad to be out of that suffocating building. She glances upwards at the night sky. There were no stars out tonight, or maybe it was just the city’s light pollution hiding nature’s beauty. She stares down the busy street of nightlife, searching for an empty cab that could take her home. She didn’t understand why people enjoyed being out and about at this time of night. It was dark, dangerous, smelly, and to top things off, it was unexpectedly cold for an early autumn night. As if reading her mind, she feels a weight drop on her shoulders. On full defense mode, Sora whips around, ready to fight whichever creep as trying to make a move on her. It only takes a moment before she recognizes the silver mop of hair. She still doesn’t let her guard down though. Her gaze remains wary as she scrutinizes the boy.


“You looked cold.” His voice wasn’t as conceited as she thought it would be, once again taking her off guard. She glances down at the red blazer resting on her shoulders. His shoulders were broad, so the item of clothing draped like an oversized blanket on her frame. She could smell the mixture of alcohol and cologne off the expensive fabric.
“I’m fine.” Sora states as she begins shrugging his blazer off. His hands move faster though as he holds the blazer in place. Shocked by his boldness, she glances upward, meeting his stare.
“You don’t have to act all tough and independent, it’s just me out here.” He chuckles.
“Why are you even out here?” Sora asks, slightly annoyed that one of Sehun’s buddies stalked her on the way out.
“I just wanted to make sure you get a cab safely. It’s not exactly safe for a pretty girl like you to be wandering alone at night here.” His response takes the girl by surprise, she can’t even hide her suspicion at this point. The boy sighs as he rolls his eyes.
“Just because I’m at a nightclub doesn’t mean I’m not a gentleman.” Sora narrows her eyes, trying to read his intentions. The boy smirks before raising his hand, hailing a cab as soon as he does. He reaches beyond Sora to open the backseat, his chin gesturing her to get inside. Sora doesn’t argue as she crouches down into the backseat, she just wanted to go home.
“Wait, your blazer!” Sora exclaims, already wiggling it off her shoulders.
“Keep it, return it to me when we meet again, sweetheart.” His smile could be infectious, the thought without warning runs across Sora’s mind. He closes the door before Sora could refuse. The silver-haired boy sends her a boyish smirk and a two-finger salute before twirling around to go back inside the nightclub.

 

Sora sits in the comfort of her flat. Peace. Quiet. Alone. Now this was how she wanted to spend her Sunday night. She curls into a ball, the fleece blanket wrapped snuggly around her silhouette. Her current favorite TV drama was playing on the screen and she had a sweet vanilla candle lit on the coffee table. It felt great to be home.

Ding!

She reaches for her phone, not taking her eyes off the TV screen just so she doesn’t miss a second more than she has to. Sparing her phone a quick glance, she sees an unfamiliar name and number.

xxx-xxx-xxx: Byun Baekhyun

“Who?” Sora questions aloud.

xxx-xxx-xxx: Remember the name, sweetheart.