Chapter 28: the hardest thing

One More Try
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Taecyeon: What happen? (he was running with Eunjung in his side)

 

Both of them went to Jinwoon who was absentmindedly and blankly staring over nothing.

 

Seconds later, Boram with Seulong and the rest were running, horrified and worried were written on their faces.

 

Boram: where’s Jiyeon? How is she? (she almost shouted)

 

But another deafening silence to them.

 

Key was the last one to come, with worried all written to his face, he hurriedly reach for Jinwoon.

 

Key: what happen to Jiyeon? (he asks, he was looking intently with Jinwoon)

 

 

But just like earlier, there is no response on him.

 

Key: (pull his collar, madness written on his face) I told you to take care of her right? What is this? (he yelled, frustration written on his face)

 

But Jinwoon remained blank, as if his soul separated on his body.

 

Eunjung: Key, enough! This will never help us!

 

Seulong: (holds his brother’s shoulder stopping him)

 

Key simply walks away, he punch the whole on their side, as he brushed his hands in his hair.

 

Seconds later, a doctor went out of the operating room.

 

Jinwoon hurriedly went to him.

 

 

Jinwoon: h—how’s my wife and o-our baby? (he was stuttering, he was in the verge of crying)

 

On the other hand, Boram and Key notices it, they stared of Jinwoon; Jinwoon, being the toughed one, never cried that easily, but this time, they see him like this.

 

Doctor: we already did a caesarean section and the baby is now safe, she was transferred to the nursery

 

Qri: she? Does it mean it is a girl?

 

Doctor: yes.

 

Eunjung: how about Jiyeon?

 

Doctor: (stay still) the baby is fine, but the patient, she lose a lot of blood, and it seems she badly hit her head, that caused her internal hemorrhage. And I afraid to tell this—she was in state of coma.

 

Eunjung: WHAT?

 

Taecyeon: (automatically held his breath)

 

Jinwoon: (knelled on the floor, tears automatically fell in his eyes as his worlds collapsed)

 

All of them seems down, sadness written on their faces as they held their breaths not believing for what is happening right now.

 

.

.

.

 

Seulong: according to the investigation; it seems that the truck which bumps on Jiyeon’s car lose its control. It seems it hits so hard resulting to Jiyeon’s car flips over, Mr. Shin, Jiyeon’s driver is dead on arrival—we already fixing his burial.

 

Eunjung: (held her hands to ) oh god!

 

It’s been days since the accident, but the impact was still fresh from them all.

 

Jinwoon, on the other hand seems not paying attention for what they were saying, he was just there, sitting, as his mind, body and soul were occupied. All his eyes were fix towards Jiyeon, who seems sleeping in her bed.

 

Boram: (sighed) Jin—you have to eat, you didn’t eating for days,

 

Jinwoon didn’t response as if he didn’t heard his sister at all.

 

Boram and Eunjung exchange meaningful glances to each other.

 

Eunjung: Jin—you have to eat, Jiyeon wouldn’t be happy knowing you starving yourself

 

Jinwoon: I wont leave my wife here—what if she awake? I want to be here when it comes.

 

Eunjung sighed, defeated, it’s been continues cycle to them, every day, ever since that accident, Jinwoon barely eat, he just there looking at Jiyeon for so long. It seems he isolated himself, not talking to anyone.

 

Boram: Jin—

 

Seulong: (taps Boram’s shoulder, he shook his head signaling to let him be alone)

 

On the other hand, Key was standing outside the room, not wanting to see how Jiyeon looks like right now, it kills him, so much. As he was leaning himself in the wall near the door, he let his tears flow freely in his eyes.

 

.

.

.

 

 

Eunjung: it’s been a week but it seems Jiyeon was not doing better (she said upon sitting in the canteen of the hospital)

 

Seulong: let just pray for her recovery (he said sighing)

 

Eunjung: why is this happening? (she said crying)

 

Seulong: (taps her shoulder) let just pray—Eun, Jiyeon was a tough one right, she can make through this. I know.

 

Eunjung: (continue crying)

 

.

 

.

.

 

Boram: you don’t want to go in the nursery Jin? You haven’t visit your daughter. (she said,)

 

It were only Jinwoon and Boram left in the room, since Eunjung and Seulong decided to grab some food to them.

 

Jinwoon just simply shook his head, his eyes locked on his wife as he holding her hand, gently squeezing it.

 

Boram: Jin—you’re daughter needs you too—

 

Jinwoon: so do my wife—(he looks at his sister, tears fell in his eyes) my wife needs me more—(he choked, as if it is the most difficult words to said) I just can’t--- I really just can’t

 

 

Boram: you’re not blaming your own child right? On everything?

 

Jinwoon didn’t response;he looks away.

 

Boram: jin—it’s not your daughter’s fault, it Jiyeon’s wants to protect your child, she loves your child so much.

 

Jinwoon: I know—I don’t blame anyone noona (he said) I’m blaming myself for this, if I just there that time this wouldn’t be happen—

 

Boram: Jin—

 

Jinwoon: it’s all my fault (he said crying)

 

.

.

.

 

 

In the nursery:

 

Taecyeon: (as he carrying his niece in his arms)

 

Hyomin: she looks exactly like Jiyeon a lot.

 

Qri: she really Jiyeon’s mini version.

 

On the other hand, Key was there, looking at the baby, he was staring blankly face seems unreadable.

 

Just like Jinwoon, he barely went home, no he didn’t going home, all he did was to stay in the hospital, but unlike Jinwoon, he never went inside of Jiyeon’s room, all he did was to stay outside of Jiyeon’s room or here at the nursery room,

 

Taecyeon: Key—(he called) do you want to hold her?

 

Key simply shake his head.

 

.

.

.

 

Taecyeon: how’s my sister? (he asks the moment the doctor came inside)

 

Doctor Song: the patient condition, worsen, no any sign of waking up yet, it seems her body didn’t accepting any drugs we’re giving her. I’m afraid this would—

 

Jinwoon: what do you mean? That my wife could not make it? are you ing telling me?! (he yelled)

 

Boram: Jin—calm down a bit.

 

Taecyeon: please continue doc—

 

Doc. Song: we we’re doing all our best Mr. Jung, we understand we’re you coming from, but still—it’s still the patient will if she wanted to wake up or not.

 

Jinwoon: but you’re best was not yet enough!! If so—why she’s not still waking up?

 

Doctor song: Mr. Jung—

 

Jinwoon: you’re best wasn’t enough! And now you telling me? Are you telling me she’s not going to awake? Is that it?

 

Taecyeon: Jinwoon calm down!

 

Boram: Jin—

 

Jinwoon: that’s bull! (he shouted, then walks out)

 

Boram: I’m sorry, for my brother’s behavior (she said sincerely)

 

Doctor Song: it’s fine, I do understand him, no worries at all. (he smiles) I hope she will wake up soon.

 

 

.

.

.

 

Mrs. Jung: what you did was not right son (she said as she seated right next to Jinwoon who was seating outside)

 

Jinwoon: (stared blankly to his mom)

 

Mrs. Jung: I know how you feel, but it doesn’t give you a right to do that thing.

 

Jinwoon: why does everyone keeps telling me that they knew how I exactly feeling? (he bitterly asks) do you have any idea mom? (tears are about to fell) I felt like dying—it felt like I was slowly and slowly dying, just seeing my wife—struggling like that, just thinking of the idea that I would never see her again, by just having this kind of idea that she would never open her eyes again—it’s breaks me. (tears fell in his eyes) I’m a failed husband and father of our child. I failed them both.

 

Mrs. Jung: (holds his  son hand) son you have to be strong, you are his husband, Jiyeon is fighting for her life, and you are now a father, I heard you never visited your own daughter. Why?

 

Jinwoon: I don’t know--  I was—I was so scared. I don’t know what to do now!

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

Taecyeon: don’t you want to see your daughter?

 

Jinwoon: (just stared at him)

 

Taecyeon: it’s been a month Jin—but not even once, you came to see your daughter, even when she discharge, and you never look after her. Don’t you being unfair?

 

 

Jinwoon: (didn’t response he kept quiet)

 

Taecyeon:  I do understand what you feel—but she’s your daughter, your own flesh and blood. She needs you too Jinwoon—

 

Jinwoon: I’m scared—(he said) I’m scared that if I go out here, I will never see my wife again.

 

Taecyeon: Jiyeon will never leave us for sure.

 

Jinwoon: and it’s killing me—I’m not ready yet, I wouldn’t be ready, I don’t want to lose Jiyeon

 

Taecyeon: she wouldn’t, and trust me—Jiyeon would be definitely happy once you held your daughter on your arms.

 

.

.

.

 

Boram: you’re so cute! (she giggles)

 

Boram was carrying her niece in her arms, since the day that baby Lauren have been discharge, she stays in Jung’s mansion, under the care of Jinwoon’s mom and Boram.

 

Mrs. Jung: So cute—

 

Boram: aiiggoo! She’s so adorable.

 

Boram’s eyes widened as she saw Jinwoon, standing in the door, eyes were teary as it is fix towards Lauren, whom he see for the very first time

 

Boram: (eyes become teary as she witness this scene) you want to hold her?

 

Jinwoon nodded, he close the distance between them as he held his daughter for the very first time.

 

Jinwoon: she’s so heavy (he said tears fell in his eyes)

 

Boram: of course (she smiles while crying) I’ mtaking good care of her.

 

Jinwoon kisses his daughter’s cheek, tears fell in his eyes as he felt something warm in his heart touches, for the very first time since Jiyeon is in coma, it is the first time, he smiled genuinely like this.

 

Jinwoon: I am sorry, sweetie, daddy is a big jerk. I’m so sorry.

 

Baby Lauren giggles, she touch his father’s face seems she understand him.

 

Jinwoon smiled more, he hugs her daughter.

 

 

Jinwoon: daddy loves you so much, I am very sorry.

 

 

.

.

.

 

Days becomes months and months become year. It’s been a year since Jiyeon was comatose, it is now their daughter’s first birthday, yet until now, there is no sign of her getting awake.

 

Boram: happy 1st birthday baby Lauren!

 

They all shouted in happiness, confetti’s are around and different colors of balloons.  All of them decided to celebrate Lauren’s birthday in the hospital, of course even Jiyeon was not awake, they wanted her to be a part of her daughter’s very special day.

 

Jinwoon: happy birthday sweetie, (he said kissing his daughter’s cheek)

 

Lauren: Dada! (she said giggling)

 

Jinwoon: Aiigggooo—(he said happily)

 

And for months passed, Jinwoon got all his strength to his daughter to go through, to continue hoping that one day Jiyeon will finally open her eyes

 

Jinwoon: hey love, (he whisper to Jiyeon’s ear) our baby is so cute, you should open your eyes, so you can see her. She really looks like you.

 

Lauren: Momma!

 

Jinwoon: See? We misses you. (he said, a glimpsed of sadness in his voice)

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter