Chapter 5

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 5

 

On my way out of school, I tried my best to contain myself from getting talked about by pretending that I was having the time of my life just by walking. How awkward was I being? I had no clue, but I'm glad no one really looked at me because of what happened yesterday. Just a few more steps and I'll out of the school's property. I could see Ji Min and Jae Kyung standing at the same spot they were at yesterday. This time, they looked like they were bored and tired. I guess I should hurry before anything. Just as I fastened my pace, I felt someone's hand grip onto my arm and pull me back.

"Choi Ga Eul." It was Yoo Seung Ho.

"Seung Ho." He looked serious for a moment. "What's... What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry about not having lunch with you today. I really wanted to talk to you." His grip around my arm tightened.

"It's okay, Seung Ho, you had other things to do." I shook my head at him. "Don't worry about it."

"It's not even that. Are you feeling better today? Yesterday, when I saw you faint..." He closed his eyes briefly before staring into my eyes. "Are you okay?"

Instead of thinking about what how I should reply to him, I was thinking about how he had asked, "Are you okay?" because those were the only words I've been thinking about for the past few hours of my freaking life. I don't know why I was so bothered by it. Why did it even matter if it was him or anyone else? I had no clue to why it was.

"Ga Eul?"

"Oh. Sorry." I pressed my lips together. "I'm fine. Really."

"You have no idea how scared we all were. If Chen didn't call 119, I don't know what would have happened!" Seung Ho rambled as he let go of my arm. "Everyone was talking so loud and didn't know what to do because the teachers weren't out here and-"

"Wait!" I held up a hand to stop him from talking. "What... What did you just say?"

"That the teachers weren't out here?" Seung Ho said confused.

"No... Before that..."

"That everyone was talking loud?"

"What did you say about Chen?" I didn't want to say his name, but I had to.

"Chen was the one who called for the ambulance." Seung Ho said a little too slowly for me to process.

"Che-Chen did?" My eyes suddenly widened.

"Uh yeah..."

"He... He knows my name?" I was kind of saying this more to myself than Seung Ho, but he heard what I had said, making me mentally hit myself.

"Is that a problem?" He asked confused. "Are... Are you okay, Ga Eul?"

"Yeah. Sorry." I shook my head. "I was... I was just thinking about something."

"But you're feeling better now, right?"

I nodded my head and smiled.

"Ah, before I forget!" Seung Ho grabbed my arm again. "Don't forget that I'll come pick you up for the concert around six-thirty."

"Okay." I seriously almost forgot, but I wasn't going to tell him that.

 

 

"So are you going to explain to me why you made me ask you that?" Ji Min pestered me as we made our way back to my house.

Even after I asked Ji Min to ask if I was okay, I never told him why I told him to ask me that question. The way he said it was not the way that person had said it himself. Now that I knew who it was, I didn't have to worry or ask other people to say it. 

"What'd she make you ask?" Jae Kyung asked raising her eyebrow at us.

"Nothing." I shook my head, still trying to process the fact that Chen was the one who asked if I was okay and the fact that he knew my name when I just found out about his yesterday.

"If you don't answer Ji Min, you know he's going to ask you until you answer him." Jae Kyung patted my shoulder. "And you know when that happens, Ji Min and I get into fights and when we get into fights, we-"

"Yah!" I turned around to glare at both Jae Kyung and Ji Min. "If you two dare fight, I'm going to strangle the both of you!"

"Well, if you just tell me why you made me ask you that..." Ji Min was acting like a child.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I... I just wanted to see who was there when I lost conscious."

Jae Kyung scoffed. "Were you making it that big of a deal?"

"Yes." I shook my head and started walking again.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because I wanted to know who it was." I shrugged.

"Did you find out who it was?" Ji Min asked.

"I did."

"Who was it?" He asked as he caught up to me. "And why did you care so much?"

"Because that voice..." I stopped and stared at Ji Min. "Why would you care why I cared?"

"I don't know. You were making a big deal out of it for no reason." He shrugged.

"Maybe the person who said it saved you." Jae Kyung said as she grabbed Ji Min's hands. "And you want to thank him, right?"

"Oh? You wanted to thank me if it was me?" Ji Min chuckled.

"But it wasn't you." Jae Kyung replied. "So who was it, Ga Eul?"

"Chen." I fastened my pace to avoid anymore questions.

 

 

My father was cooking dinner in the kitchen for the four of us while Ji Min, Jae Kyung, and I waited in the living room and watched a drama that was currently airing. Thankfully, they didn't pester me about Chen because I wouldn't answer them and because they knew that I would have probably strangled them if they had asked me one more time. I'm glad they knew better.

"Ga Eul, can you come into the kitchen please?" My father called.

I got up from the couch and walked over to the kitchen and popped my head in. "Yes?"

"Can you please go to the store and buy some soy sauce and onions? I didn't realize we were out." My father pressed his lips together.

"Okay!" I smiled at him before heading up to my room to get my bag. I went to the living room and looked at Ji Min and Jae Kyung, who both seemed a little immersed into the drama. "I'll back, you two!"

"Okay." They both didn't even look at me. Great friends they are.

 

 

I managed to sneak in my skateboard without letting anyone notice it gone. I wanted to stop by the beach after I get the ingredients needed and that's exactly what I did. I got the soy sauce and onions and went straight to the beach. It was around six o'clock and I'm sure my father didn't need the ingredients for another thirty minutes, right? Well, he could wait just a few more minutes while I enjoy a little more free time since the store was kind of far from our place.

As I strolled around the beach, I ran into the regular ahjummas and ahjusshis who often walked around at this time to get in their daily exercise. They greeted me as I greeted them back. It was moments like these that I cherished when I was at the beach. The best part was the fact that the sun was starting to set and the weather was cooling down at the right temperature; it wasn't too hot nor was it too cold. Riding my skateboard around this time and weather was perfect and I wish I could live like this every day. It was too bad that if my father and friends found out, they'd kill me.

Talking about being killed, I should get back before it actually happens. I got onto my board and kicked the cement ground to get a better speed, but when I was about to leave the actual beach, my eyes caught a glimpse of someone in the water. I stopped myself from moving and slowly set my bag down onto the sidewalk pathway. I watched as the person in the water seemed to be getting smaller and smaller. They didn't look like they were going to go for a swim from the attire they were wearing. I looked around to see if anyone was nearby and if they were just playing a prank but this looked different. Was this person... Trying to kill themself?

"Yah..." I left my board and the bag of ingredients and I found myself running towards the water. "YAH!"

I could see the person's body disappearing into the water. I didn't care that there was sand getting into my shoes. This person or whoever was in that damn water was trying to kill themself and I couldn't have that happen! I ran with all the strength I could and jumped into the water. I ran through the water and it made me realize how much I sometimes hated water because of how it made me feel when I was in it. I couldn't yell for the person because I was losing strength in swimming to them. When their head disappeared, my heart dropped. I was deep into the water, but I didn't give up. I had to find this person.

I dunk my whole body into the water and tried to find the body. I looked around and didn't see anything so I popped my head back above teh water to get some air before going back down to look for the person. I swam around and just when I thought I really lost them, my body hit their's. Without any hesitation, I grabbed their arm and pulled them back up above the water. The person I was holding onto was already unconscious. I used the rest of my strength and pulled them to shore. I was having a hard time breathing causing me to wonder if it was a heart attack or if I really was actually out of breath.

After I placed the body onto the sand, I quickly gave them CPR, not even worrying who they were. After doing this for about four times, the water finally came out from their mouths and I sighed in relief. They were going to live.

I fell back onto my back and took a few breaths to gain back my strength. You have no idea how tired I was. I just saved someone from killing their selves and I knew they were going to kill me once they found out that they were alive. I turned my head to the side and looked at them only to realize that the person laying beside me was Chen. I quickly sat up and looked over at him, shocked to see that it was him who had tried to kill them self. What... What the hell? Was I seriously seeing right. I had to rub my eyes just to make sure.

Chen suddenly sat up and took a breath of life. He seemed like he was hypervenalating, but he managed to calm himself down and coughed out the rest of the water that was inside of him. He looked at his hands and then ahead of himself. I don't think he knows that he's actually alive. I coughed so he would look at me and he did. When our eyes met, he looked surprised to see I was there. I don't know why, but I felt like crying. I couldn't believe I almost witnessed him commit suicide and the things he must have gone through to feel this way.

"Are you okay?" I felt the tears b my eyes.

"Did... Did you save me?" Chen asked confused.

"Why... Why were you trying to kill yourself?" My hands were now shaking.

"Mind your own business." He scoffed, surprising me by how cold he was being. "You shouldn't have saved me."

"But-"

"Don't." He stood up and turned away from me. "Are you doing this because of what happened yesterday?"

"What are you talking about?" I stood up, only to feel that my knees were weak.

"You don't need to owe me anything." He started to walk off.

"I don't understand what you're talking about." I started to walk after him. "Are you talking about how you called the ambulance when I lost conscious?"

"So you do know?" He turned around and looked at me. "You think I need you to pay me back for something I did?"

I scoffed. "What?"

"I don't need you to pay me back."

"What is wrong with you?" I glared at him angrily.

"You guys are all the same."

"You don't even know me." I clenched my fists together.

"And you don't know me."

"I never said I did!" Why was this Chen acting so cold suddenly? What the hell did I do to make him act like this? I just saved his freaking life and this is how he was going to pay me?

"Let's keep it that way!" He turned back around and walked off.

I had to hold my tongue to say anytning more. I was about to give him an actual heart attack for reacting to me like that.

 

 

When I got home, I placed the bag into the kitchen and went up to my room to change my clothes before my father, Ji Min, or Jae Kyung would have noticed that I was wet. I didn't want to explain to them what had taken me so long because I would have seriously gotten killed.

After I changed, I went down into the dining room and saw that there was only one bowl of rice and a main dish with a few side dishes. I must have taken too long for my father. If I knew things were going to be like this, I wouldn't have gone out, but I kind of had no choice. But that brought me back to if I didn't go out for ingredients, Chen would have not been alive the next day. What the heck was going on? I was going crazy and my mind was getting blurry. I held the wall for support and tried to take deep breaths. I started to shiver.

"Are you okay?" Ji Min asked as he came towards me. "Jae Kyung had to leave because her mom needed her."

I nodded my head to acknowledge him.

"I'm about to head out-" I suddenly fell forward and thankfully, Ji Min caught me. "Ga Eul!"

I felt so weak and I was shivering.

"Why are you so cold? What happened?" Ji Min looked at me. "Why... Why is your hair so wet? Ga Eul!"

 

 


 

**A/N: Who's the worst author ever? ME! OTL. I'm sorry for the lack of updates since freaking finals are coming up and I have to cram everything in. I promise you, after everything's done and summer break starts, which is in two weeks or less, I will update frequently like I did for my other stories! Enjoy the update :D Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah