Chapter 30

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 30: Author’s POV

 

The sound of laughter filled everyone’s ear at the beach. It was already eight o’clock at night and many people were starting to leave the area. The boys had brought some wood and burned it in a small pit so they could sit around a bonfire and enjoy each other’s presence for the last few hours that were left for them all. Ga Eul’s heart was happy knowing that she was spending her last few hours of in Seoul with these six. Even though she wasn’t close to Lu Han, Xiu Min, or Lay, their presence still made her happy.

Seung Ho had been watching Ga Eul from time to time; he was worried about her, knowing that her mind was stuck on Chen the whole time. He wanted Chen to be there, but he knew he couldn’t force someone to come if they didn’t want to. It still upset him and inside, he told himself that if he were to ever see Chen, or if he doesn’t show up before Ga Eul leaves, he was going to make sure that he would get a good beating; he wasn’t going to stand and watch Ga Eul be sad before she leaves.

Ji Min and Jae Kyung didn’t seem bothered by their break up anymore. They seemed happier knowing that they were friends and that they could support each other in that way; they still had wished they were together, but they thought about it and liked that they could finally act like their selves again, as if they’ve been trying to be people they weren’t. It still didn’t change the fact that Ji Min was going to miss Jae Kyung when she’s gone; he was going to miss having someone there to nag him about everything.

Lu Han, Xiu Min, and Lay all thought they were going to feel out of place being there since they barely talked to anyone other than Ji Min, who they had danced with, but they felt more than welcome. For the first time, they had a conversation with Yoo Seung Ho, who they all were intimidated by, but were now happy that they could be good friends. Even though they were enjoying their selves with new people, they couldn’t help but wonder how Ga Eul was feeling; they all knew about her and Chen. These three didn’t know what they were going to do.

While everyone was sitting around the fire talking to each other, Ga Eul got up from the sand and walked over to the water. She bent down and watched as the water moved back and forth towards her. She missed Chen. She wished he was there with her, making her laugh over his stupid gazes that she never understood, but he wasn’t. She felt disappointed and confused. She couldn’t understand what was holding him back or why he was acting the way he was. Did she hurt him that bad to the point where he didn’t want to see her? She closed her eyes, trying to let herself breathe. She couldn’t blame him either though. It was her fault for not saying anything until it was too late.

“You know he loves you, right?”

Ga Eul nodded her head.

“I’m sorry he’s not here when it’s practically your last day here.”

“You shouldn’t apologize.”

“You know he cares, right?”

She nodded her head. “Of course.”

“You don’t sound sure about.”

“How can I be when he’s not here to prove it?” She let out a sigh. “I never understood him.”

“Neither did we.”

“Was he like this towards you guys?” She asked looking over to the side. “How did you all manage to cooperate through him when he’s so stubborn?”

“Because I’m older than him.”

“Should that matter?” Ga Eul chuckled.

“Just a little.” He laughed.

“Do you feel out of place having us here with you?”

She shook her head. “I’m more than happy to see you guys.”

“I kind of hate myself now.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because we only started talking now.” The guy shook his head as he stared at Ga Eul. “When you come back –.”

“Who said I was coming back?” Ga Eul raised her eyebrow at him.

“You’re going to come back.” He gave her a stern look.

“And if I don’t?”

“You will.” He said.

“It’s nice to know that even though we barely know each other, you’re keeping things positive between the two of us.”

“That’s because I know that’s what Chen would want for you.”

“Why can’t he be the one to do it then?” She asked feeling her heart hurt. “I find it unfair.”

“Should I feel offended that you said that?” He asked chuckling.

“No, you should feel a little honored.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because…” Ga Eul turned to face him. “You’re more of a man than he’ll ever be.”

“Thank you, Ga Eul.” He chuckled. “I’m glad to know that at least someone actually thinks I am a man.”

“Then are you a girl?”

“I wouldn’t like to be called one.” He laughed again. “How about we go over to the fire pit and enjoy ourselves?”

“I’d like that.” Ga Eul said as she stood up. “Let’s go.”

 

 

Everyone walked back with Ga Eul when they left the beach. When they had gotten to the destination, Ga Eul had invited them in, but they all kept shaking their heads, claiming that they had something to do and that they’d meet her at the airport when they could. Ga Eul didn’t question them, knowing that she can’t keep them with her forever. She bid her goodbyes to them and watched as they all walked off into the distance.

“I’M HOME, APPA!” Ga Eul said as she got into her house. “APPA?!”

All the lights in the house were shut off and it seemed to be empty since her father wasn’t there. She the kitchen light and saw a note posted onto the counter. She walked over and picked it up so she could read  it.

“Sorry, honey, I’m going to be out just for a few hours and when I come back, we’ll head straight to the airport, okay? I was going to give you a call, but I thought I’d give you a chance to hang out with your friends. Eat dinner and drink something delicious while you can. I’ll see you in a few. Love Appa.”

Ga Eul put the piece of paper down with a smile. She went into the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water and headed straight to her room since she still had a few more things to pack up before her flight, but when she tried to open the door, it wouldn’t budge open.

“Is my door broken?” Ga Eul tried pushing through her door again, but it still didn’t budge open. “Why won’t it open?”

She sighed, letting her hand run through her hair that was filled with some sand. Ga Eul kicked her door lightly, afraid that if she were to actually kick it too hard, it would leave a dent. She decided she would try to open the door again. On her third attempt, the door opened easily, as if there wasn’t a problem at all. She squinted her eyes in confusion as she slowly opened her door, wondering why it suddenly opened the way it did when she couldn’t even budge it open.

When her door opened a little, a sweet aroma hit her nose, letting her breathe in the sweet scent that was closed up in her room. She’s never smelled this before, but she thought her father must have done something to her room before he had gone out. She let it slide and as soon as the whole door opened, she felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach.

“I thought I told you to throw these pictures away?”

Ga Eul couldn’t even speak upon hearing the person in her room speak to her. She felt as if time had stop just for her.

“Am I too late?”

Tears were streaming down her cheeks before they even made it up to the person’s face.

“Ga Eul…”

“You’re awful, Kim Jong Dae.” Ga Eul said as she felt her knees become weak under her.

“I am, aren’t I?” He pressed his lips together as he made his way towards her.

She couldn’t even breathe anymore. “I-I thought I’d never see you again…”

Chen had been waiting all day for her there since he knew that she’d be at the beach. It took him awhile to think of something kind to make up for Ga Eul and even though he did this, it still wasn’t enough to make her forgive him because he knew that his actions had hurt her. Seeing her in front of him was making him go crazy; he was glad that he took the chance to come see her, but he still felt bad because he knew she had been waiting all day to see him and yet, he was making her wait.

 “I’m sorry.” He wrapped his arm around her small, petite body and hugged her tightly. “I’m so sorry.”

“I hate you.” She sobbed as she cried into his arms. “I hate you so much.”

“I know and I’m sorry that I made you feel like that when you needed me the most.” He patted down her head as he hugged her tighter. “I’m stupid… I’m stupid for treating you like that.”

“You’re the worst.”

He pulled back and looked at her. “Hey, will you stop crying?”

“It’s your fault!” She retorted.

Chen chuckled as he slowly leaned in and pecked her lips. “Will you forgive me now?”

“No, I won’t.” She wiped her tears with the back of her hands. “I hate you.”

“Don’t say things you don’t mean.”

She chuckled. “But I do mean it.”

“Lies.” He scoffed. “You like me.”

“I don’t.” She shook her head. “There’s nothing to like about you.”

“I’m disappointed.” Chen pretended to be sad.

“But I love everything about you.” Ga Eul said as she pulled him down towards her as she kissed him. “Everything.”

“Me too.” Chen said as he kissed her back.

“SO IF YOU GUYS MADE UP, I THINK WE SHOULD START HEADING OUT TO THE AIRPORT NOW BECAUSE THE FLIGHT IS IN TWO HOURS!” A voice shouted through the door.

“Freaking Ji Min.” Ga Eul laughed as she shook her head. “They all knew about this?”

“YEAH!” Another voice echoed through.

“Seung Ho too?”

“WELL, YEAH! NOW WILL THE TWO OF YOU GET OUT ALREADY?” Seung Ho knocked on the door.

“Yeah. Yeah!” Chen yelled back at them as he looked back at Ga Eul. “You’re right, Ga Eul. I am the worst.”

She nodded her head with a playful smile.

“We didn’t even get to spend time together.” He shook his head as he pulled her into a hug again. “Seung Ho might have been right either way – I was going to regret not seeing you.”

“I TOLD YOU!” Seung Ho yelled through the door.

Both Chen and Ga Eul chuckled at this.

“Should we go?”Chen asked as he pulled back from her.

Ga Eul looked at Chen and nodded. “Yeah. Let’s go.”

 

 

Ga Eul’s hand tightened a little more as each minute started passing by before it was time for her to aboard the plane. Everyone was talking to one another, talking about their future, laughing about jokes, and most importantly, making positive comments on Ga Eul’ surgery and how she was going to come back and they’d celebrate her recovery. No one seemed to be down or negative other than Chen, who was fiddling with his fingers, trying to keep himself from breaking down at any minute.

“Ga Eul, I’m disappointed in you.” Her father spoke up through the loud chattering of her friends, who all stopped talking to look over at him.

“Why?” Ga Eul was confused.

“You had all these amazing friends and only brought over Ji Min and Jae Kyung!” He shook his head with laughter.

“Are you saying you didn’t like my company?!” Ji Min pretended to be offended. “I’m hurt!”

“Yah. Yah. Yah.” Jae Kyung nudged Ji Min’s forehead. “No one does.”

“You sure liked it at some point.” He raised an eyebrow at her and this only caused Jae Kyung to hit him on the back of his head. “YAH!”

“If you’d like, we could come over more often when you two get back!” Lay chirped up. “I’m kind of disappointed that I never got to really hang out there…”

“It’s okay, Lay. Next time!” Ga Eul’s father chuckled as an announcement of their boarding finally spoke through the intercom. He looked over at his daughter and saw how tense she was. “Ga Eul?”

Ga Eul took a deep breath and stood up from her seat. She looked at her friends and immediately started to cry. She didn’t even try to hold back her tears knowing that if she did, she would have sobbed like a baby – she rather she’d cry now. She walked over to Ji Min and hugged him tightly, telling him how she was going to probably miss him the most since he was the one who had always nagged her about everything little thing; Ji Min was crying, but he pretended not to by laughing – it only made him cry more. When she went to go hug Jae Kyung, Jae Kyung was bawling already. She was crying so hard to the point where Ga Eul had to hold her up just so they could hug. It was getting harder and harder for her to say her goodbyes.

When she walked over to Lu Han, Xiu Min, and Lay, she hugged them all, telling them that she had wished they talked more and that they had to take care of Chen. They all nodded their head in agreement, knowing that this would make her happy. She made her way to Chen and before she could even hug him, he lowered his head. She tried to lift his head up, but he refused to let her.

“Hey.” Ga Eul’s voice became soft. “Look at me.”

“I can’t.” Chen shook his head.

“Why?” She reached out and grabbed his hand.

“T-this is so hard…” Ga Eul saw a tear drop onto his shoe. “G-Ga Eul… I… I can’t do this…”

Seeing Chen cry made her cry and her heart ache. She didn’t want to leave him either, and if she could, she would have stayed, but she needed to go and there were only a few minutes left before she had to actually leave. Everyone else who was staring felt their hearts breaking a little – they all knew how sad Chen was and seeing that they all couldn’t do anything about it other than cry, they felt hopeless.

“I love you.” Ga Eul whispered and this finally made Chen look up at her. “I love you, Kim Jong Dae.”

Chen hugged her tightly. “You can’t say that when you’re about to leave.”

“But I want to say it… Just in case…” She sniffled.

“I love you too…” Chen said as he leaned in and kissed her forehead. “I really do love you and I’m more than thankful to have met you.”

Ga Eul felt like she couldn’t breathe anymore – she was so sad. “I have to go.”

Chen nodded his head. “You should go.”

When she said he final goodbyes, everyone tried their best to smile, but as they waved to her and she started to get farther and farther, the tears on everyone’s faces fell. Ga Eul wanted to stop walking and run back to them, but she held onto her father’s arms to make sure she wouldn’t do so. She didn’t want to say her goodbyes, but here she was, saying her final goodbyes to everyone who she loved and cared for.

It was the hardest for Chen. He had dropped down to his knees and cried as he covered his face with one hand while the other one was placed onto his chest. He wanted to calm himself down, but it was hard for him. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, think, or even see; he felt broken, as if there was a missing piece of him suddenly. His friends, who all stood behind him, cried even more seeing that Chen was the way he was. They knew he was hurt the most.

 

 


 

*A/N: One more chapter~~~ Shall be posted on Sunday (Chen's BIRTHDAY again), EST. Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR DEAR BELOVED, KIM JONGDAE!
It's freaking illegal for you to be this handsome, Chenchen <3
 

생일을 축하합니다, 첸첸!!
사랑해요

photo 10_zps5e3c00c4.gif

photo 7_zpsd02dea94.gif

photo 11_zps883913e2.gif

photo 9_zps98a71fa4.gif

photo 13_zpsa0c00dba.gif

photo 8_zps641f9b5f.gif

photo 12_zpsa810a791.gif

photo 20_zps867ab6ec.gif

photo 14_zpse8d8fb98.gif