Chapter 5

Betray Me Not

“Hey, it smells good in here,” Sehun says, walking in. He is oblivious to the thick tension in the room. “This is my little sister Hana. Hana, this is-,”

 

“Kim Jongin,” Hana breathes, staggering backwards. Her legs feel horribly weak. “Wha-what are you doing here?”

 

“I should be asking you that,” Kai says in a low voice. Shock and disgust are written all over his face. “Who are you, Professor Oh? And why do you look so...,”

 

Sehun furrows his eyebrows. “Do you two know each other?”

 

“She’s the math professor,” Kai says at the same time as when Hana says, “He’s the rich kid.”

 

Sehun claps his hands over his mouth. “Whoa. Um. Wow. What?”

 

“You...,” Hana clenches her fists. “I’m leaving.” She tries to storm out the door, but not before Sehun catches her arm.

 

“Hey, don’t leave,” Sehun says quickly. “Don’t worry. Maybe... this can be a bonding experience. You two can get your differences sorted out.”

 

Kai is in disbelief. This woman is obviously Professor Oh... yet she looks so different. Her wavy black hair is loose, reaching down to her waist. The stern glare which Professor Oh is never seen without is gone, replaced with warm brown eyes (which are admittedly wary and terrified right now, but still quite enthralling).

 

Carefree expression. A pair of shorts and a tank top. Making a fool of herself playing Just Dance.

 

She looks so young.

 

Which brings Kai to another question.

 

“How old are you?”

 

“I don’t have to tell you anything,” Hana snaps, but Sehun shushes her.

 

“She’s 2 years younger than us," Sehun informs his best friend. "19.”

 

Kai's jaw drops in appallment. “How the hell are you a professor?”

 

Sehun and Hana exchange glances, then Hana says, “I was admitted to MIT as a 12 year old. I obtained my phD in a very short time, because...,”

 

“She’s a genius.” Sehun finishes her sentence. “That’s why my parents paid her the most attention.”

 

Hana throws her brother a contrite glance.

 

Kai is shaking his head, anger beginning to radiate from every pore on his body.

 

“So you mean to tell me,” he says slowly, striding towards her, “that not only have you been screwing over all your students when you're younger than us, but you've been making my best friend’s life miserable since you were born?"

 

“Kai, stop! You’re scaring her!” Sehun steps in between Kai and Hana, but Kai shoves past him.

 

"You're only 19!" Kai shouts. "Who the hell do you think you are to boss your students around? We’re all older than you. You have no authority, Oh Hana.

 

Sehun places a firm hand on Kai's shoulder, his fingers digging into his skin. “I know you two have your problems, but don’t forget: she’s my sister. Don’t treat her like that.” Sehun says in a tight voice.

 

“Oh, really?” Kai snarls. “I thought you’d be the one who supported me the most. You’ve spent 5 years of your life complaining about this , talking about how she ruined your life. Hana is the reason why your parents neglected you, and you said you hated her!”

 

Hana is trembling. Kai’s final sentence causes her eyes to widen.

 

Sehun slowly turns on his heel towards his sister. “Hana-,”

 

She stumbles backwards, in a daze. “I- I have to go,” Hana breathes, stumbling backwards in a daze. Within the next second Hana has fled out the door.

 


 

Kai’s hateful words pound on Hana's mind, causing her head to spin. She wanders through the streets of Seoul with no particular destination.

 

You’ve spent 5 years of your life complaining about this , talking about how she ruined your life. You said you hated her!

 

Hana hastily brushes away the tears trickling down her cheeks. "I'm awful," she murmurs. "Sehun hates me. I've made his life terrible. Because of me, Mom and Dad always looked down on him... but I would've traded places with him in a heartbeat-,"

 

“Hana! Hana!

 

Her ears perk up; however, Hana makes no attempt to locate the source of the sound. It is not until someone grabs her arm when she twists her head around.

 

Sehun is clutching onto her hand, panting heavily.

 

“Hana, I can explain,” he says, but she cuts him off.

 

“You don’t have to explain anything. It’s my fault.” She rubs her eyes. “I’m so sorry, Sehun. I don’t want you to hate me. I’m sorry that I’m such a burden.”

 

Sehun gently leads Hana through the swarm of people bustling through the streets. A few pause to give the pair curious, concerned glances.

 

“It’s not like that,” Sehun finally tells her quietly. “I’ll admit: I did used to hate you. But you’ve started acting cooler lately. Like a little sister.” He gives her a small smile.

 

I hated you because you were never treated like my sibling, Sehun thinks. You were treated like some sort of goddess, and you acted like it too. And everyone worshipped you.

 

    There is a brief silence between the two. Hana can see the familiar silver windows of their apartment complex, towering above the city. Suddenly she realizes something.

 

    “Jongin left, right?” Hana asks her brother nervously. When Sehun coughs uncomfortably the blood drains from Hana’s face. “Sehun! Make him leave! I do not want to see him! Do you realize how horrible he is?”

 

    “Calm down, Hana.” They have reached the elevator. Sehun presses the black 3 on the shiny chrome panel. “Kai is actually a great person. He’s helped me through my hardest times. We’ve been best friends for years. And don’t worry,” he adds hurriedly. “I told Kai he had to apologize to you.”

 

    “And he agreed? Don’t lie.”

 

    “Just give him a chance. Kai’s been a great friend... you two will be best buds in no time.”

 

    Hana stops dead in her tracks. They’re almost to the door of their apartment now. “Sehun, are you listening to yourself? Do you know how much of a catastrophe this is?” Her voice is steadily rising. “Jongin knows my real age now- that’s something he can use against me. And it was only yesterday that he orchestrated that horrible plan with the tests. And did you hear what Jongin said to me not 10 minutes ago?”

 

Sehun cringes. “I know. But please, Hana. Just come in.”

 

After a heavy pause, Hana groans. “You , Oh Sedumb.”