Epilogue

Betray Me Not

3 Years Later

 

If one was to walk into CEO Kim’s office, the first thing they would notice would be his desk.

 

    It is a nice desk, dark mahogany with sleek edges and curled toes. A Macbook Pro sits in the center of the desk, providing a modern contrast to the classical style of the desk. But the desk’s design is not its most compelling characteristic.

 

    No, it is the rows and rows of pictures that are the most interesting part of CEO Kim’s office.

 

    An image of the HSC hugging each other, clad in rich red graduation gowns, sits next to a large photo of Kai and Hana holding their adorable golden retriever. A small picture of Kyung Mi standing in the middle of Times Square, hand in hand with Sehun, is positioned across from a Wish You were Here! postcard from London, England, signed by Yuri. An autographed poster of Kris, gazing at the camera with deep, dangerous eyes, lies in front of Kai’s computer. A large signature in the corner reads, Dear Kai, you’re a . Love, Kris. (this is usually the picture that causes people the most excitement- after all, Kris Wu is one of the most well-known models in the industry).

 

    Kai stares at his photo collection fondly. These are some of the best memories, the best relationships he has ever had. When the stress is getting too much, or if he makes a mistake, Kai looks at these happy moments.

 

    Someone knocks on the door. “Excuse me, CEO Kim” Yoojin says, striding in. She is carrying a stack of 3-ringed binders. “I believe I have an appointment with you right now.”

 

    “Yes.” Kai gives Yoojin a professional smile. “I wanted to discuss with you your findings on the core group data the company collected. Has your team analyzed it yet?”

 

    “We have,” Yoojin responds, opening up one of the binders. “Here, we used logarithmic formulas to track our consumers, the countries which purchase our products, and the deviation of values from wholesalers across the globe.”

 

    Kai nods, taking the folder. “Nice job. I’m impressed that you knew how to deduce this.”

 

Yoojin’s serious expression disappears, replaced by a knowing grin. “Well, I have a certain calculus teacher to thank for that,” she whispers, and Kai laughs.

 

“Yoojin, I actually need you to do one more thing,” Kai tells her. Yoojin sits up straight, nodding firmly.

 

“Well... okay, so me and Hana’s anniversary is this Saturday, and I have no idea what to do,” Kai bursts, his voice panicked. “I was thinking of taking her to Japan to see the cherry blossoms, but I already did that for our 1st year anniversary. Or maybe to France or something-,”

 

“Whoa, Kai.” Yoojin cuts him off. “You’re treating her like she’s your wife. You two are dating. And second, you know Hana doesn’t like it when you do overly fancy things for her. Do something simple and heart-felt.”

 

“I didn’t see you complaining when Kris used to take you to high-class restaurants and buy you flowers every day,” Kai grumbles. Yoojin throws him a look.

 

“Hey. I thought Kris and I told you this already. Stop referencing the time when we were dating, it’s awkward.” she commands.

 

Kai shrugs. “Why? You two are still great friends.”

 

“Emphasis on friends,” Yoojin points out. “Okay, well, I have to get back to work. I’m going on vacation tomorrow, by the way.”

 

Kai gasps. “What? I’ll be losing my Senior Analyst? No! Don’t leave me, please!” He clutches his heart in mock-despair. Yoojin purses her lips.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’m only going for 3 days, so I’ll be back soon to annoy you.”

 

“Where are you going, anyway?” Kai asks.

 

“I’m going sightseeing!” Yoojin announces, clapping her hands excitedly. “First, I’m visiting Gongryeong Ridge, and then travelling to Bomun Pavilion. It’ll be super fun. I just feel like I needed a break, ya know?”  

 

Kai smiles sympathetically. “Oh yeah, I get you. Well, have fun. Take lots of pictures!” he adds, tilting his head towards his photo gallery.  

 


 

Yoojin tips her head back, drinking in the fresh, crisp air of the Seorak Mountains. As she dries through the harrowing ridges and pathways of the mountain range, she is overwhelmed by the pure beauty of the place.

 

I’m in one of the steepest places in Korea, she thinks to herself. I could fall at any time. My life could literally disappear in a matter of seconds. But it feels amazing. There is something about the risk Yoojin is throwing herself into, the very danger of this place, that exhilarates her.

 

Yoojin is happy that she finally gets to go on this trip. She has had plenty of enjoyable moments through the last 3 years, of course. Her job with Korea National Oil Company, working under Kai, requires hard work, but is quite enjoyable.

 

Yoojin meets up with her old college friends several times a year, despite their vast distances. Although she broke up with Kris, the two still remain close friends (when Yoojin’s not berating him for being a degenerate supermodel).

 

And Yoojin has kept volunteering with the elderly, causing another source of happiness in her life.

 

But she really has needed some alone time for a while now. Yoojin has not had time to reflect on her life and herself; primarily concerning Kris. She cannot deny that Kris was an amazing boyfriend, and the period in which they were dating was quite enjoyable.

 

But sometimes, Yoojin would feel like she was forcing herself. When Kris bought her luxury items and praised her and told her that they would be together forever, Yoojin would smile. When Kris kissed her and told her she was the most beautiful girl in the world, Yoojin would smile.

 

But was I smiling out of love or smiling out of... gratitude? Did I like Kris, or was I thankful towards him for caring for me after... all those things happened?

 

And Yoojin thinks Kris knew, too. That she loved him, but as nothing more than a friend. He knew her better than she knew herself. And that is why they both decided to end their relationship and remain friends. Kris knew that I still worried about-

 

Yoojin hurriedly diverts her thoughts away from that dangerous topic. She has spent years trying to bury him in her mind, bury the love and worry and sadness she possessed for him. She does not want to dredge it all up and end up a mess.

 

Yoojin parks her car next to a rest stop. Several other cars are there as well. She can spot the families beginning the lengthy hike up to Gongryeong Ridge, Nikon cameras hanging around their necks. A few athletes clad in dry fit shirts and running shoes jog up the trail as well.

 

A misty look clouds Yoojin’s eyes as she smiles affectionately at the bustle of people. It seems like she is alone but not alone; surrounded by people but with no one. She enjoys the comfort of a crowd.

 

After an arduous trek, Yoojin finally reaches the high peak of Gongryeong Ridge. Her eyes widen as she takes in the stunning view from the mountain. On a rather treacherous whim, Yoojin plops down at the very edge of the rock. A 400-foot drop yawns below her. If she moves even a little too far, Yoojin could find herself falling to her death.

 

She has the power to control her life in her hands. She likes it.

 

Yoojin sighs, closing her eyes peacefully.

 

“It’s beautiful up here, isn’t it,” a soft voice says next to her. Yoojin freezes. She does not dare open her eyes.

 

“I love being here,” the voice continues. “I come here every day to look at the sky. And, somehow, I feel like I am the only person in the world when I am here alone.”

 

Slowly, Yoojin turns her head. Her eyes are b with tears.

 

Joonmyeon is sitting next to her, a serene expression on his face. Yoojin is shocked by how different he looks. His brown hair is shorter, spiked up at the top. Joonmyeon looks youthful, more childlike; all the heavy bags and dark shadows and angry creases are gone from his face. And his eyes... Yoojin wipes a tear from her face. She has not seen that expression in Joonmyeon’s eyes since she was a child.

 

That expression of happiness and love.

 

“Oh my god,” Yoojin hiccups in a garbled sniffle. “You- what- Joonmyeon-,”

 

Joonmyeon smiles, and in that moment, Yoojin is sure that he is an angel, descended from the heavens above.

 

“Hello, Yoojin.”  

 


 

    “Caramel, get back!” Hana dives for the energetic dog desperately, attempting to restrain it. Unfortunately, she is unsuccessful; Caramel leaps onto Kai the moment he steps through the door. He topples to the ground in surprise. “Oh my god, Jongin, I’m sorry!”

 

    “Oomph,” Kai winces as his dog his neck excitedly. “Whoa, there, girl.”

 

Hana finally manages to pry Caramel off of Kai. “She’s always so happy to see you,” she laughs. “How was your day today, Jongin?”

 

Kai smiles and pecks Hana on the lips. “It was fine. Yoojin’s going on vacation.”

 

“Ooh, really?” Hana takes a seat on the sofa. Kai follows her, sitting down as well. He rests his head on Hana’s shoulder. “Oh, guess what?Today, Professor Dae and I baked a cake for all the members of the faculty?

 

“Good job!” Kai pinches Hana’s cheeks affectionately. “You’re getting better at cooking.”

 

“Professor Dae’s going to teach me how to make black bean noodles tomorrow.When Sehun comes back home, I’ll be able to make him a fancy 4-course meal.”

 

Hana and Kai converse more, speaking about the new division of Korea National Oil Company that is opening, the latest gossip about Kris (“I heard he’s dating a Russian supermodel,” Hana snorts), Yuri’s latest phone call from New York, where she is working as a civil engineer.

 

Eventually, however, they lapse into a comfortable silence. Hana gently Kai’s hair as he lies on her lap, smiling down at him gently. Caramel is snuggled up next to Hana. She occasionally lets out soft whimpers of content.

 

Hana breaks the silence. “So, are you excited for our 3rd anniversary this Saturday?”

 

Kai stiffens in panic. “Uh, y-yeah. Totally. I... have something really special planned out.”  

 

“Same!” Hana grins. “I have a super special gift for you. I can’t wait!”

 

The words “super special gift” make Kai freak out even more. She has a wonderful gift for me, and I have no idea what to do for her! What do I do? He takes a deep breath, struggling to maintain his smooth facade. “That’s great, babe.”

 

Hana looks at her boyfriend in amusement. Jongin has no idea what to do, does he.

 

    “You’re giving me that look again,” Kai says warily, eyeing Hana.

 

    Hana tilts her head innocently. “What look?”

 

    “You know. The look. The ‘I know everything’ look.”

 

    “I am not,” Hana protests, but she is on the verge of cracking up.

 

    Kai groans. “You’re on to me, aren’t you? About our anniversary?”

 

    “Well... maybe.” Hana pats his head. “It’s okay, Jongin. I don’t need anything fancy for our anniversary.”

 

    “No!” Kai protests, quickly sitting up. “Hana, you deserve the world, and if I can’t even give you a decent gift then what kind of a crappy person am I?”

 

    Hana giggles. “Awww, so cute.” She wraps her arms around Kai, resting her head on his chest. Kai relaxes, his muscles losing tension. He tenderly places his arms around Hana’s waist.

 

    “Hana,” Kai hums in her hair.

 

    “There’s one thing I want, Jongin,” Hana whispers in his ear.

 

    “Yeah?”

 

    “Be with me forever.”

 

    Kai pauses. His cheeks are turning a bright shade of red. Why does he always do this around Hana? He draws Hana away from him, so that she can look into his eyes.

 

    “Hana, that would be a present for me,” Kai smiles, tucking a strand of hair behind his girlfriend’s ear. “You don’t even have to ask for that.”

 

    A loving expression paints Hana’s features as she places her arms around Kai’s neck. “I love you, Jongin.”

 

    Before Kai closes the gap between their lips, he murmurs, “I love you too, Hana.”


 

A/N: And that's a wrap! I felt really nostalgic writing this chapter (it's one of the longest chapters I've ever written LOL). Thank you all SO MUCH for supporting this story! And a special shoutout to all the amazing people that commented- I read every one of your comments and felt super happy hehehe :D

 

I'M SORRY TO ALL THE KRISJIN SHIPPERS I INTENDED FOR YOOJIN TO END UP WITH JOONMYEON IN THE END (although they technically didn't end up, I left their ending kind of open)

 

Anyway, Tutor Wars is going to be my main fanfic now! It's Kai and Sehun man 2cute <3 

 

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!! :) FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @nutellarubi HEHE, and my IG is @ruebiie !!!