Chapter 32

Betray Me Not

"I've applied for jobs at a few dance studios and entertainment companies," Sehun informs Kai and Hana as they are preparing to head to the university one morning.

 

"That's great," Hana smiles. "But make sure you finish university, kay?"

 

"Yo, Hana. Catch." Hana turns around right in time for a flying banana to hit her in the face.

 

"Kai, what the heck?" Hana shrieks, rubbing her nose. "What is wrong with you?"

 

Kai holds up his arms, attempting to keep a straight face as Sehun writhes over on the floor in guffaws. "It was an accident! I swear!"

 

"Do you wanna go? Do you wanna go?" Hana chases Kai all around the kitchen with an unpeeled banana in her hand. "I swear I'll shove this up your-,"

 

"Stop.... chasing me....," Kai guffaws, panting heavily. "I'm running... out of breath...,"

 

Hana raises her arm, like she is going to slam the banana in Kai's face... but then takes a bite out of it instead. "Gotcha," she smirks.

 

Kai groans, shaking his head. "Yeah, yeah. He reaches over and playfully flicks Hana's forehead. "Let's go. We don't want to be late."

 

Hana slowly opens the door of Kai's penthouse, surveying the hallway for any passerby. After a few minutes of hiding behind the door, she darts down the hall and dashes into the elevator.

 

Kai has to wait 15 minutes before getting on the elevator, she thinks. That way people won't suspect we live together-

 

Kai steps in the elevator, his backpack slung over his shoulder.

 

"Jongin! What are you doing here?" Hana gasps. “What happened to waiting after I left so that we wouldn’t be seen leaving together?”

 

Kai fake-pouts. “I don’t want to be late to your class, Professor Oh.”

 

Hana rolls her eyes, laughing. “Shut up, you brownnoser. Don’t think this’ll give you extra points.”

 

“You’re so mean to me,” he whines, poking Hana, and she slaps his hand away.

 

“Don’t be a fool,” she grins.

 

“So guess what?” Kai says as he and Hana pace through the lobby of Kai’s apartment complex. “My design proposal for Korea National Oil Company’s new expansion site went really well. The Board approved my plan on the spot.”

 

“Are you serious?” Hana gasps, clapping her hands together. “Oh my god, congrats! I’m so proud of you!”

 

“I actually ended up using some of the calculus I learned in your class,” Kai chuckles sheepishly. “Compared to the tests you give, it was easy calculating the variables of the new site, and defining a mathematical model of costs.”

 

Hana smiles. “So I’m not a complete failure of a teacher?”

 

Kai tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear, beaming down at Hana’s hopeful face. She looks so adorable. “Of course not. If you were, then I wouldn’t have been able to write a kickass report. And if I didn’t write a kickass report... then I wouldn’t have secured a meeting with the Board of Directors about fulfilling the CEO position.”

 

Hana stops dead in the middle of the lobby. is hanging wide open.

 

    “Are you saying... what I think you’re saying?” she asks incredulously.

 

    Kai slips on his aviator shades, a pleased look on his face.

 

    “If this meeting goes well, then I’ll practically be secured as the CEO of Korea National Oil Company.” He exhales in satisfaction. “My dad’s gonna be so pissed. Oh, I can’t wait to see the look on Suho’s face.”

 

    “What?” Hana tilts her head. “Wait... what does Joonmyeon have to do with this?”

 

    Kai stiffens. She still doesn’t know we’re half-brothers.

 

    “Nothing,” Kai shrugs. “I just don’t like him.”

 

    “Why do I feel like there’s something you’re hiding?” Hana muses, tapping on her chin. “Well, Jongin. When you become CEO, can I get your autograph?”

 

    “I don’t know. I’ll be a pretty important man. But I’ll make an exception if you buy me takeout every day,” Kai teases.

 

    “Wow,” Hana scoffs, flipping her hair. “Thanks a lot. Really feeling the love here.”

 

    “Aww, gimme a hug,” Kai says in a fake-baby voice, and tackles Hana in a giant bear-hug. Hana yelps, violently flailing about.

 

    “Oh my god, Jongin, get off!” she giggles. She repeatedly slaps his arms. “PDA much?”

 

    Kai finally disengages from her. “I’ll see you in class, Hana!” He strides away to the back of the lobby, heading for the garage. Hana, on the other hand, walks to the bus stop outside. A smile plays on her lips. Jongin’s so silly, she thinks affectionately.

 

    If Hana and Kai hadn’t been so absorbed in each other, and were paying attention to their surroundings, they would have seen a familiar brown mop of hair stopping in front of the glass doors of the apartment complex.

 

They would have seen his eyes widen in recognition at Kai and Hana. They would have seen the triumphant, desperate look flare in his eyes.

 

    They would have seen him pull out his cell phone and snap pictures of their embrace.

 

    But Joonmyeon is happy that they didn't.

 

    Otherwise, he would not have his card to success.

 


 

    Joonmyeon is ecstatic.

 

    A feverish look is in his eyes as he strides through the hallways of the campus buildings. Joonmyeon has not gotten any sleep for the past 24 hours. He has been working non-stop to counter Kai’s meeting with the Board of Directors, to come up with better proposals than Kai, to do something to prevent his years of toil, heartbreak, and stress from being lost.

 

    Kai cannot become CEO, Joonmyeon thinks. I am the perfect son. I am the perfect worker. It’s not fair. It’s not fair!

 

He pushes past people in the hallway, disregarding their stares. "Are you okay, Suho?" a guy asks, staring at his face. Joonmyeon pays no attention to him.

 

    Now he has it: his one-way ticket to becoming CEO. Joonmyeon knew that Professor Oh and Kai had some connection.

 

But he never expected that they would be living together.

 

    I’ll email these pictures to Father- no, I’ll email them to the press. They’ll have a field day, and Kai will be forced to flee into hiding. Joonmyeon’s eyes widen. But before I do that... let me get some fun from these pictures.

 


 

    Kai, Professor Oh, and the other members of the HSC are at an after school meeting. Yoojin is running through the schedule of an upcoming volunteer event, while Kris stares at her with heart-shaped pupils.

 

Professor Oh is nodding at Yoojin’s words, while Kai is secretly running through the Powerpoint for his presentation with the Board of Directors. Kyung Mi and Yuri are working on gift bags to give to elderly people.

 

    Suddenly, Kai’s phone buzzes. Yoojin throws his a pointed look before continuing her work. She is about to start explaining the things every member needs to bring when Kai shoots up from his chair.

 

Every member of the HSC stares at Kai. His jaw is hanging wide open, a livid expression blazing in his eyes.

 

Professor Oh strides over to Kai, furrowing her eyebrows.

 

    “What is it, Mr. Kim?” she asks pertly. Kai does not move. Professor Oh leans over, glancing at the screen of his phone. When she spots the picture and caption, she claps her hands over . “Oh my god!” Hana shrieks.

 

    Kris, Yoojin, Kyung Mi, and Yuri have never seen Professor Oh lose her composition; therefore, when they hear her emit that shocked cry, they dash over to Kai’s phone.

 

Hana is so aghast, she does not realize the implications of her students seeing this photo until a few seconds later.

 

Unfortunately, those few seconds are enough for the members of the HSC to grasp the situation.

 


 

    From: Dickmyeon

    To: Kai

 

Well, well. Looks like the cat’s out of the bag. If you don’t want this photo spreading, you’d better beg me.

Attached to the message is a photo of Kai hugging Hana in the lobby of their apartment.

 


    

    There is utter silence. Everyone is frozen in place, completely and utterly stunned.

 

    Finally, Hana squeaks, “I- I can explain.”

 

    “Wait... you two... are living together?” Kyung Mi says, warily eyeing Kai and Hana. “Student-teacher relationships are forbidden.”

 

    “You never told me,” Kris tells Kai, a little angry.

 

    Yoojin is staring at the name of the sender of the text. What the hell is Joonmyeon doing?

 

    “Professor Oh... you’re, like, 10 years older than Kai,” Yuri says uneasily. “I mean- that’s a little-,”

 

    She is cut off by a loud thump! Kai has slammed his hand on the table.

 

“Stop.” he commands. Kai’s body is shaking. “Don’t- don’t think that Hana’s some crazy old creep, or that we’re doing something-,”

 

    “Shh.” Hana rests a hand on Kai’s shoulder. “Jongin. You deal with Joonmyeon. I... I’ll tell them.”

 

    Kai’s eyes widen. “What? No, you can’t! You’re supposed to keep it a secret. What if more people find out-,”

 

    “Jongin.” Hana’s voice is firm. “Go.

 

    After a pause, Kai races out the door in search of Joonmyeon.


A/N: call me bread because i'm on a freaking ROLL
.....that sounded better in my head
 
WELL YEAH SO NOW JOONMYEON HAS PICTURES THAT COULD DESTROY HANA AND KAI FOREVER AND THE HSC KNOWS KAI AND HANA'S SECRET AND JOONMYEON HAS BASICALLY GONE NUTS (what's new though)
 
I might update again later today :DD