Chapter 20

Betray Me Not

Yoojin and Kai are sitting on a bench outside. The towering grandfather clock affixed to the turret of the main campus office chimes 5 times. It has been an hour since Yoojin approached Professor Oh about sponsoring her club. Although Professor Oh went home, still grumbling about having to deal with Kai and Kris, Kai did not leave just yet.

 

“We need to talk,” he told Yoojin.

 

And here they are, situated next to each other for the first time in years. Yoojin uncomfortably jiggles her legs. Should she try to break this tense silence or should she wait for Kai to speak?

 

“It’s been a while,” Kai finally says.

 

“Yeah. You’ve grown.”

 

Kai throws her a look. “Obviously. You moved away in high school. I didn’t know we’d end up attending the same university.”

 

“I guess.” Yoojin does not feel like giving Kai anything more than abrupt, clipped sentences. She doesn’t hate him, of course. It is just uncomfortable for her to speak to the man who used to be such a prominent character in her old life.

 

Yoojin just prays that Kai won’t mention him.

 

Kai clears his throat. “So... how’s your mother doing? Did she find another job?”

 

“Yeah. She works in the cafeteria of an elementary school. It’s a vast improvement”

 

There is silence between the two, until Kai asks, “Have you spoken to Suho lately?”

 

Yoojin's prayers have not been answered.

 

Her entire body tenses like a deer caught in the headlights.

 

For a moment, she does not make a single noise, move a single inch. Kai looks at her expectantly.

 

“O-Of course not,” she says, her words sticking in . “I mean, I had to talk to him about forming my club. But apart from that... why would I want to talk to him? And how about you, huh? Do you two still hate each other?”

 

Kai scoffs. “Obviously. And I’ve managed to avoid him. Except we did end up playing in the tennis tournament together.”

 

“Great.” Yoojin stands up. “It’s getting late, and I really don’t want to be here. I’m leaving.”

 


 

“Jongin is ruining my life!” Hana screeches as she storms into her apartment. Sehun drags his eyes away from the TV, raising an eyebrow.

 

“What is he doing now?” he sighs.

 

“He’s joining a student club that I’m sponsoring just to piss me off!” Hana replies agitatedly. “He called senior citizens geezers, Sehun!”

 

Sehun scratches the back of his neck. “But they are geezers- whoa!” He shields himself with his arms as Hana flings a roll of paper towels at his head.

 

“You take that back, Oh Sedumb!” Hana huffs. “They are not geezers! You should respect them more-,”

 

Her angry tirade is cut off by pounding at the door. “I’ll get it,” Hana grumbles. When she opens the door, her scowl deepens even more.

 

“I brought food!” Kai calls as he struts into the Ohs’ apartment. A bulky plastic bag dangles from his left arm. Despite Hana’s rotten mood, her stomach can’t help growling in appreciation at the delicious aroma emanating from the food. Kai hears this and smirks.

 

“You sure are excited to see me, huh,” he chuckles. Hana crosses her arms.

 

“Just shut up and put the food on the table,” she snaps.

 

“What did you get?” Sehun asks.

 

“Oh, nothing much,” Kai says. “Ossetra caviar imported from France. Grilled black sea bass marinated with Japanese herbs. Hors d’oeurves.”

 

Sehun’s jaw drops. “Are you serious?”

 

Kai snickers. “You wish, dip. I got kimbap. Why would I blow my money on you?”

 

“ you, Kai,” Sehun gripes, as his best friend shakes with laughter. “I got really excited for a moment there.”

 


 

Hana, Kai, and Sehun are sprawled out on the couch, watching the Food Network. Hana shovels kimbap into as she watches in awe as a master chef saute a fish in a large frying pan.

 

“I wanna do that, too,” she says.

 

“Uh, I don’t trust you with a frying pan and a fire,” Kai says warily. “You’d probably throw your students in it and cook them.”

 

Hana tightly presses her lips together. “Nuh uh.”

 

“Shut up, you idiots. I’m trying to memorize this recipe,” Sehun says. “And Hana, don’t even deny it. You would kill everyone with those cooking utensils.”

 

Hana responds by punching both the boys in the arm. “Ow!” Sehun and Kai cry out in union, rubbing their limb.

 

“That’s what you get for messing with a child prodigy,” Hana simpers in satisfaction, putting her arms on her hips.

 

“Oh, yeah?” Kai looks over at Sehun. “I think we have to teach Hana to respect her elders.”

 

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Sehun whispers to Kai, a glint in his eye.

 

Kai nods. “Get her.”

 

“Hey, what are you guys talking about-,” Hana says cautiously, but she is cut off by Sehun and Kai launching themselves at her, tickling Hana's sides until she nearly passes out.

 



It is 1 in the morning. The 3 have dozed off, completely forgetting to clean up their empty takeout containers and turn off the TV. Kai is lying on one end of the couch, Sehun on the other end. Hana has occupied the red futon next to the couch. Her long, dark hair spills over her shoulders as her body rises and falls with the steady rhythm of her breaths.

 

Kai is frowning in his sleep. His hands clench and unclench. The same scene runs through his mind over and over again, like a short film constantly replaying itself for all eternity.

 

She’s dead, a cold, cruel voice rings out. The words are like bullets to Kai’s heart. He looks up. His father’s unyielding figure is towering above his as he speaks these words as if it is nothing, as if he is informing Kai of some trite incident.

 

The death of his stepmother is not trite.

 

Yet his father seems to be apathetic.

 

The scene flashes to a large, dimly-lit funeral home. Pews of mourners surround Kai, wiping their eyes and sniffling.

 

She was such a kind woman, he hears someone sob.

 

She was so charitable, another person cries.

 

Kai wants to stand up and scream. These people do not know true pain. They merely knew his stepmother as a benevolent, inspiring figure.

 

But he knew her as the woman who had made him cookies and milk every Friday night, the woman who helped him finish his impossible English homework. The woman who hugged him and whispered, “I love you, Jonginnie.” in his ear every night. The woman who would lift him up in the air and spin him round, round, round until Kai felt dizzy with exhilaration.

 

The woman who defended him from his father’s hurtful words as they lashed out at his skin and left bruises in the form of tear tracks and flushed cheeks.

 

She’s gone. She’s dead.

 

“No,” Kai murmurs aloud. Tears are streaming down his cheeks. “Don’t leave me... Mom...,”

 

Kai feels like he cannot breathe. His chest is tightening, suffocating him. It feels like he is reliving his horrendous dream again and again. Kai begs for his nightmares to end, begs for an end to this pain-

 

“Jongin. Jongin!”

 

Kai eyes flicker open. A blurry figure stands above him. Her hand is on his arm. When she bends over him, her sweet-scented hair tickles his cheek.

 

“Jongin, wake up," the figure whispers.

 

Kai blinks. His vision refocuses.

It’s Hana.


A/N: Ooh, now Kai's past is being revealed a little more :D

Ahh I didn't double update today x( BUT I WILL TOMORROW DON'T WORRY OKAY

I LOVE YOU ALL

XOXOX