Chapter 21

The Senatorial Candidate

 

“I really am that easy to you, am I not?” Kyungsoo accused as soon as Kris asked if he was reminded that he was in love with the Senator. “You really think that I would always just let you hurt me like this?” he paused to wait for a response from Kris but it didn’t come. “Well, you know what? This is the last time you are allowed to toy with me like this. I won’t allow you to hurt me any further.”

 

Kris wanted to react, to respond. He wanted to correct Kyungsoo. The latter was wrong, he wasn’t toying with him. He was also confused with himself as to why he was doing the things he did. He wanted to say something, anything, to make the smaller male understand that he didn’t intend for him to feel toyed with but nothing came out of his mouth. He stepped closer to Kyungsoo, to reach out and convey the things he couldn’t say through physical contact. But Kyungsoo backed away from him with that look of someone wounded enough to be scared of the person who caused it. And it crushed Kris’ heart seeing that.

 

“Don’t come near me,” Kyungsoo warned as he moved back, away from Kris’ grasp. He was frightened of what the Senator’s touch might do to him. He was scared that it would hurt a lot more if he allowed Kris to comfort him.

 

Kyungsoo stayed a fair distance away from the Senator, ready to avoid the man if ever he tried to come near him again. He figured he couldn’t stay there longer if he didn’t want Kris to torture him more by attempting to initiate physical contact. His phone buzzed in his pocket in great timing because he prayed for someone to rescue him from that situation. When he looked at his phone to check on who called, it was as if his prayer was answered and more. The person who called couldn’t have been the person he wanted so much to save him.

 

“Hongbin,” Kyungsoo greeted over the phone which made Kris stiffen in attention. “We’re on the side of the road,” his gaze never left Kris as he was speaking to Hongbin, afraid that Kris might try something while his guard was down. “Can you come and pick me up?” he waited for Hongbin’s confirmation before he let him know the complete directions to where he was. “Thanks. I owe you. I’ll make it up to you next time.”

 

The insinuation that Kyungsoo was going to see Hongbin again, possibly without Kris knowing then, didn’t sit so well with the Senator. Next time, next time, he didn’t want Kyungsoo to make it up to Hongbin next time, especially when he was no longer there. The possibilities were endless. If Kyungsoo and Hongbin went out alone, a lot of things could happen. Things that Kris didn’t want to happen. As selfish as it may sound, he didn’t want Kyungsoo to be with someone else. It rendered him restless just thinking about it.

 

“Soo, I—“ Kris opened his mouth to speak, somehow finding his voice after having been silent all throughout Kyungsoo’s monologue that he wanted to rebut so much. But he was cut-off even before he could complete his sentence.

 

“I’m not speaking to you anymore, so don’t waste your time,” Kyungsoo interrupted knowing all too well that Kris was going to say something related to Hongbin.

 

They didn’t say anything after that. Kris was leaning against the side of his car while Kyungsoo was a few feet away from him, sitting on the ground with his knees up to his chest. The Senator’s gaze didn’t leave the small frame curled up a few steps away from him. He was thinking, thinking really hard on what he could say or do to make Kyungsoo not go with Hongbin. His time was limited. Any minute Hongbin could appear and he would lose his chance.

 

But why didn’t he want Kyungsoo with Hongbin? Was he jealous? yeah he was jealous! But why, was he in love with Kyungsoo? Maybe he was, he didn’t know for sure. One thing he was sure about was that his heart clenched every time he imagined Kyungsoo not being with him. He couldn’t think of anyone else to be beside him but Soojin’s Uncle. Kris knew that if Kyungsoo was with him, they could talk for hours and still wouldn’t run out of things to talk about. That if he woke up to Kyungsoo every morning, he didn’t mind that at all.  He’d drink the coffee Kyungsoo always made. And he realized that he actually wouldn’t mind raising Soojin with Kyungsoo. In fact, he could see the little girl in his future, going to play dates, attending parent-teacher meetings, and beating the out of whoever bastard would break his baby girl’s heart. Damn it! He could see them in his future and he didn’t want it any other way.

 

Well , he was in love with Kyungsoo! This time he was sure.

 

Just as Kris was about to make a move to tell Kyungsoo about his feelings, a car pulled over right in front of the latter. The driver was revealed to be Hongbin and Kyungsoo immediately stood up from his place and slid into the passenger seat without so much as a glance, leaving Kris unable to confess and stuck in the moment in the middle of nowhere.

 

What big mess have I created? Kris thought. And he silently tortured himself for not realizing his feelings for Kyungsoo a lot sooner. How in the world would he tell him now when the smaller male didn’t want to speak to him ever again?

 

 

………………………….

Noona’s Notes:

I’m awful. I know. I’m sorry.

krisoo_noona