Chapter 20

The Senatorial Candidate

 

The Senator tossed and turned in his bed that night thinking about what Kyungsoo had revealed. The smaller man was in love with him. That was something unexpected yet somehow bound to happen.

 

What did he expect, really? He got the smaller man into a situation where they needed to acts as lovers, of course there would be feelings involved. But what about him? Did he develop something for Kyungsoo too? He must admit that he had been stirred by Kyungsoo’s confession. Thinking about it, he was happy that the petite male loved him. Did that mean he loved him too?

 

Kris was confused. He didn’t want to let Baekhyun go. He had been in a relationship with the President’s son far too long to simply let it end. But he also didn’t want to pass on the chance of starting something with Kyungsoo especially since he already knew that Soojin’s Uncle had feelings for him. He was torn between two great guys.

 

Baekhyun was confident and always knew what he wanted. Those were what attracted Kris to him. At the same time, Kyungsoo had a certain delicateness to him that Kris couldn’t ignore. Kyungsoo was weak-looking on the outside but far stronger than how people expected him to be. And with that, Kris had this urge to protect him all the more even if the smaller male could handle things on his own. There was just something about Kyungsoo looking so vulnerable yet fervent at the same time that made Kris want to be a shield for him.

 

Kris spent more nights thinking about things. Weighing things out. He was definitely the most selfish man in the world because he couldn’t let either one go. Should he stay with Baekhyun, his status quo? Or should he pursue Kyungsoo?

 

 

 

When it seemed that they wouldn’t be getting any statement at all from the Senator, the media had moved on and stopped stalking him. Kris and Baekhyun agreed over the phone that they wouldn’t talk to any press people about the issue and would meet once it had died down.

 

It had been two weeks and Kris guessed it was time for him to talk to Baekhyun. They met at a restaurant known for its privacy and exclusivity. There, they wouldn’t be disturbed by the paparazzi or anybody else for that matter.

 

Baekhyun arrived to a waiting Kris at their usual table which was located at one of the more private area in the restaurant. They were regulars in the restaurant because it seemed to be the only place they could be sure that their relationship wouldn’t be revealed prematurely. They shouldn’t be worried about it already what with the media finding it out and Kyungsoo’s statement, but it was out of habit that they still met in the establishment.

 

Kris stood to welcome Baekhyun, the latter leaning onto him for a quick kiss before they both settled into the seats across each other.

 

“How have you been?” Kris started.

 

Baekhyun was unable to answer right away as the food that Kris ordered beforehand arrived. The waiter served the dishes right in front of them and Baekhyun smiled because Kris still hadn’t forgotten when he usually ate in that restaurant.

 

“I’m okay,” Baekhyun muttered in reply to Kris’ question earlier. “Having a tough time with the mess that you started but still holding up. How about you?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Kris guiltily apologized. He knew that Baekhyun didn’t deserve to be treated that way. The man had been loyal to him and really patient with him that it was unbelievable for him to still stay in the relationship. When Baekhyun found out about Kyungsoo, Kris half expected that his boyfriend would break up with him but he didn’t, and Kris appreciated Baekhyun’s understanding.

 

Now, their relationship was in another turmoil that he caused. All he could do was apologize a thousand times and hope that Baekhyun was still willing to stay with him.

 

“You don’t have to apologize. No relationship is perfect, Kris. I understand that it was only normal for you to look at someone else while I wasn’t here. And now that our relationship is out, what are you planning to do about it?”

 

What escaped Baekhyun’s mouth had confused Kris. “What do you mean?”

 

“You haven’t said anything about Kyungsoo’s statement yet. Are you going to confirm it or deny it? Will you go on with your pretend-relationship with him or are you going to validate ours?”

 

Baekhyun was right. He hadn’t said anything yet. Would he want to stay in the made-up world he created with Kyungsoo or would he go back to the reality that was Baekhyun?

 

Kris’ attempt to answer Baekhyun was interrupted by two people who came inside the private room. His heart hammered inside his chest when his gaze landed on the familiar small frame. And his face darkened upon recognizing who the petite male was with. Kyungsoo and Hongbin were being ushered by a waiter to a table.

 

When Kris did not continue what he was about to say, Baekhyun got curious as to who had taken his boyfriend’s attention away. He turned towards the door of the private room and was immediately enlightened as to why Kris’ mood suddenly changed. Kyungsoo was interestingly with Congressman Lee Hongbin. That was something Baekhyun he did not expect. How did Kyungsoo meet Hongbin in the first place?

 

Baekhyun directed his attention back to Kris. The latter was still glaring furiously at the other two that his brows met in the middle and his knuckles turned to white as he balled them tightly into fists on the table. Baekhyun quirked an eyebrow. Like, seriously, Kris would react like a jealous lover in front of him? He was the rightful fiancé for goodness sake! And it was such a big insult on his part that Kris did not even effort to mask his feelings.

 

Because Baekhyun was a genius in making things awkward, he stood up from his chair, which distracted Kris from setting the couple at the other table on fire with his glare, and gave Kris a meaningful look before he walked up to Kyungsoo and Hongbin’s table.

 

“Hi!” Baekhyun greeted making the two looked up at him in surprise. “Kris and I saw you walk in and wondered if you care to join us instead.”

 

Kyungsoo, at the mention of the Senator’s name, bit his lip as he struggled to stop a whimper from escaping. He wasn’t ready to be face to face with Kris just yet. Not after he confessed the way he did. And with Baekhyun inviting them to join him and the Senator, guilt started to creep up on Kyungsoo. This was the man the Senator promised to marry, the one who had no idea that the person he was inviting over was the person who had confessed to his fiancé. If only Baekhyun knew, he would think twice about his invitation.

 

Hongbin glanced at Kyungsoo to check the smaller man’s reaction. He was looking for some sort of signal to whether or not decline Baekhyun’s invitation. Kyungsoo was holding himself up quite impressively, Hongbin couldn’t even tell if he was uncomfortable or what that Baekhyun was suddenly at their table.

 

The Congressman was aware of the situation. He knew that Kyungsoo had finally admitted his feelings to the Senator. They had spent an awful lot of time talking about it every time they were together. Kyungsoo was beating himself up for confessing and Hongbin consoling him. The smaller male felt guilty for letting his feelings out because he had caused more trouble than he already did about the statement he released. Hongbin could only tell him that he did the right thing releasing the statement and there was nothing he could about his confession. The best option for Kyungsoo was to avoid the Senator as much as possible.

 

“Come on,” Baekhyun urged when he did not receive a response from the two. “It would be more fun if we have dinner together.”

 

Kyungsoo was perplexed when Baekhyun unexpectedly gripped him by the arm and tugged him out of his seat. He instantly straightened himself to find his footing before he let Baekhyun guide him to a table where Kris was, Hongbin trailing behind. When he reached the Senator’s table, there was a moment when he and Kris looked into each other’s eyes but Kyungsoo looked away first. He couldn’t endure the accusing gaze the Senator was throwing at him.

 

“Look who I found at another table,” Baekhyun said in mock excitement. “It’s your pretend fiancé!”

 

There was a bite to Baekhyun’s words that Kyungsoo noticed. But he didn’t say anything about it and sat on the chair that Baekhyun made him sit on right across Kris. Kyungsoo looked everywhere but in Kris’ direction. He avoided the Senator’s eyes which he could feel was burrowing a hole on him.

 

“Senator Wu,” Hongbin spoke interrupting Kris from further staring Kyungsoo down.

 

Kris turned his gaze away from Kyungsoo and looked up to the person who called his attention. “Congressman Lee,” he acknowledged and the said man settled himself in the seat to his right.

 

“See? It’s more fun eating together,” Baekhyun declared meaningfully before turning his interest towards Kyungsoo. “So, how have you been, Kyungsoo? The last time I saw you was when you were playing house with my fiancé.”

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t stupid not to notice the possessiveness in Baekhyun’s voice. He knew why he was brought there, so Baekhyun could figuratively slap it in his face that he wasn’t the real fiancé, Baekhyun was.

 

“I’m okay,” Kyungsoo shortly replied, plastering on an awkward smile.

 

“How was your trip to Paris, Mr. Byun?” Hongbin was quick to save Kyungsoo. He hurriedly asked the question in order to direct Baekhyun’s attention at him.

 

“You don’t have to be so formal with me, Congressman Lee. You can call me Baekhyun.”

 

“And I will ask you to do the same with me. Please, call me Hongbin.”

 

Baekhyun smiled at the Congressman before he spoke again. “I think what people are saying about you is true, Hongbin.”

 

“And what is it that people say about me?” The Congressman curiously inquired, no idea as to what Baekhyun was talking about.

 

“That you are a handsome little devil,” Baekhyun supplied.

 

“I agree that I am in fact handsome but I don’t know about being a devil,” Hongbin jokingly replied.

 

“And you have a sense of humor too,” Baekhyun chided. “No doubt Kyungsoo here is able to move on easily from pretending to be Kris’ fiancé to be your date.”

 

Kris and Kyungsoo, who were awfully silent on the sidelines, brought their attention to Baekhyun at the same time. Kris was stunned while Kyungsoo was uncomfortable.

 

“You are mistaken,” Hongbin defended. “Kyungsoo only agreed to go on a date with me because I begged him to. He was actually so adamant about rejecting me. But I am just a difficult person to say no to so he ended up going to this date. Isn’t that right, Kyungsoo?” Hongbin reached for Kyungsoo’s hand on the table and encased the small one in his, smiling reassuringly at the smaller male.

 

Kris scoffed at the scene before him. “Is it, now?” Kris provokingly questioned. “Took you a short amount of time to reject someone before jumping into his arms when you just confessed you love me, Kyungsoo.”

 

Baekhyun swung his head swiftly in Kris’ direction. That piece of information was new to him. He didn’t know that Kyungsoo had said that he loved Kris.

 

Kyungsoo held his breath as soon as Kris announced his feelings for the Senator without permission. He couldn’t believe that the politician would embarrass him like that. Hongbin already knew about it but that still didn’t stop him from feeling so small. And with Baekhyun there, it was all the more humiliating because Kris’ fiancé now had more reason to snide at him.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Kyungsoo attempted to save himself.

 

“Oh, you don’t?” Kris snickered. “Well, maybe I should remind you.” The Senator slid out of his seat, walked around Baekhyun, and grabbed Kyungsoo by the arm. He did not give the smaller man time to protest when he yanked him out of his seat that even Hongbin and Baekhyun were glued to their places, unable to squeak a word out.

 

Kyungsoo was stumbling on his feet just to keep up with Kris’ long strides. When they reached the Senator’s car, Tao was stunned to see him. Kris snatched the car keys from Tao and commanded the bodyguard to call Chanyeol to take Baekhyun home. Tao only nodded in response and worriedly looked at Kyungsoo with questioning eyes, wondering what was going on. Kyungsoo could only look up at Tao through the car window, silently asking the bodyguard to save him.

 

Kris drove in silence, eyes focused on the road. Kyungsoo kept on glancing at the Senator, pondering if he should voice out what he wanted to ask the moment the Senator took him away.

 

“Where are you taking me?” Kyungsoo finally found the courage to ask.

 

Kris turned his head ever so slightly at Kyungsoo before answering. “Somewhere,” was his only reply.

 

“You realize I can’t be somewhere far, right? I have a baby to return home to,” Kyungsoo said to remind Kris that Soojin was waiting for him and maybe put some sense into the Senator’s head if ever he was planning on going somewhere far.

 

At the mention of the baby girl, Kris slowed the car down and pulled over. He got out of the car and moved to the side of the road in front of the vehicle. He ran his fingers through his hair because what exactly was he thinking when he took Kyungsoo with him. His fiancé was right there and he didn’t even care.

 

Kyungsoo, who saw how Kris was taking his anger out on his hair, was worried that the Senator might get hit by a passing car. They were on the side of the road and it was too dangerous to be out of the car especially when other vehicles were zooming past them. Even if Kris had the hazard light on, it was still very dangerous.

 

“Kris, get inside the car,” Kyungsoo yelled from the car window. When Kris didn’t listen to him, he got out of the car and walked over to the Senator. “Kris, it’s dangerous out here. Let’s go back inside the car.”

 

Kris looked at him for a moment, probably letting what he just said sink in. The Senator walked over to him after a moment’s hesitation. And just when Kyungsoo thought that the Senator would go around to the driver’s side, Kris was coming onto him instead and cupped his face in both his big hands. The taller trapped his face and he wasn’t able to avoid it when Kris kissed him squarely on the lips. Kyungsoo was so stunned that his mouth slightly opened giving Kris the opportunity to move his mouth against Kyungsoo’s.

 

The smaller man just stood there in astonishment as Kris explored his mouth. The Senator expertly slid his tongue in, swiping at Kyungsoo’s own tongue. That was when Soojin’s Uncle gained his sanity back and pushed Kris away with all his might.

 

Kris was displeased that the kiss was broken. But he smiled condescendingly at Kyungsoo before he spoke, “Are you reminded yet?”

 

………………………..

Noona’s Notes:

I don’t have anything to say for myself. I know I’m horrible for taking so long to update. And just like what I said in my twitter account. You can demand an update from me when I take too long to post another one. Pester, bother, do whatever you can at me over at krisoo_noona