Chapter 18

The Senatorial Candidate

 

It was chaos. When the news about Kris and Baekhyun’s date broke out, the phones in the Senator’s office, as well as his headquarters, had been ringing nonstop the next day. The media and reporters all wanted to get a statement from the Senator that they had all camped out at places where Kris would possibly be. The outside of the building where his headquarters and where he lived was full of reporters that it was a security nightmare. Kris was even greeted by the same swarm of reporters at the Senate House when his fake engagement to Kyungsoo was announced.

 

Suho had suggested that he should tell the truth. It was an opportunity for him to straighten things out and not live in a lie anymore. But he was hesitant because he wanted to talk to Kyungsoo first. He wanted to explain himself, to tell the man that the photo taken was of his date with Baekhyun a long time ago. He didn’t want to be misunderstood that he went on a date with Baekhyun right after kissing Kyungsoo. He wanted to let the smaller male know that first before he said anything in public. Therefore, he avoided every reporter who was set to ask him questions which in turn confused Suho.

 

There wasn’t really a need for him to explain, his setup with Kyungsoo was fake from the start so if he did go to a date with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo shouldn’t even be feeling anything out of it. It could be his principle as a man that was urging him to run to Kyungsoo and tell the man the truth, he didn’t know. But he just had to see Kyungsoo asap.

 

One more thing that was an area of concern was how Kyungsoo was doing amidst the chaos. He was sure that Soojin’s Uncle was bombarded with questions as well. Kyungsoo might have had to endure the same attack from reporters wherever he may be.

 

 

 

“Aren’t you the one who’s engaged to that Senator who was caught going on a date with another man?” One of the ahjummas at a table Kyungsoo was serving in the ramyun shop asked and it made him feel uncomfortable.

 

“Yeah, it is you,” agreed another one.

 

Kyungsoo neither confirmed nor denied what the ahjummas were saying and remained silent. He was about to leave the table but the first ahjumma who recognized him grabbed his hand and prevented him from going away.

 

“Honey, we don’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable or anything. We just wanna say that we’re sorry you had to go through something like that. If that happened to me, I would kill the that stole my man.” Kyungsoo wanted to correct the lady. That Kris wasn’t his man, not at all. But he remained silent and gave the lady an assuring smile. He bowed to the ladies and went on his way. But not before he heard one of them say that she couldn’t believe the President’s son was a fiancé-stealing bastard.

 

To be honest, Kyungsoo didn’t really know what emotion he should entertain about this whole thing. One thing, he was relieved that the truth came out, that finally he could be free. But another part of him was mad at Kris for having been reckless. He was a fake fiancé but the Senator could have at least practiced caution. Kris knew that the media would have a fiesta about the news and it could really affect the politician’s reputation.

 

Truthfully though, he was mad because he was hurt. His defense mechanism from having to feel hurt was to be angry instead. Who wouldn’t be irate anyway? He just kissed the man only to find out hours after that Kris jumped immediately to be on a date with his real fiancé. The Senator was seriously toying with him. And it was just unfair that Kyungsoo was having an internal battle every time he was with Kris. He was fighting so hard not to fall for the Senator more than he already did. But Kris was taking everything lightly as if he could just kiss Kyungsoo anytime he wanted and go back to Baekhyun as if nothing happened.

 

“I’ll talk to Yifan about this,” Yixing told him earlier. Kyungsoo could tell that the manager was conflicted whether to sympathize with him or to feel relieved that they could finally get away for this lie. “I think it’s best if you stay here and not go to work. You know, to avoid reporters.”

 

“I can’t. I already took a day off yesterday. Plus, nobody really knows who I am or where I work so it’s fine,” Kyungsoo answered in a voice devoid of any emotion. Or so he tried. He didn’t want to worry Yixing or give out what he was really feeling inside. It was too inappropriate.

 

Kyungsoo’s thoughts were interrupted when someone called for his attention. He was absently wiping a table that he didn’t notice Hongbin was calling for him until the Congressman tapped his shoulder. “Oh, you’re here. Shall I get you the usual?”

 

“No, I’m not here for that. I’m here for you. Are you okay?” Hongbin’s concerned tone didn’t escape Kyungsoo’s ear.

 

The smaller male gave the Congressman an assuring smile, one he mastered by now because it was his only response to anyone who asked him if he was okay; the ahjummas at the table he served, his boss and Minah when he came in, Yixing that morning, and now Hongbin.

 

“So, what are you planning to do about it?” Hongbin asked as he settled himself on a chair at the nearest table, Kyungsoo did the same across him.

 

“I don’t know. I am waiting for Kris or Suho to tell me what to do.” His answer was the truth. Everything was on the Senator’s terms. He just needed to obey what he was told.

 

“You know, you don’t have to wait for them, Kyungsoo. This is your chance to get out.”

 

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo furrowed his brows in confusion at what Hongbin suggested.

 

“It doesn’t always have to be on Senator Wu’s terms. You can make a stand about this issue yourself. You can release a statement to the press explaining that you and the Senator were never together to begin with and then you don’t have to live according to Kris’ requirements.”

 

“I can’t do that! It will hurt his reputation!”

 

“So you allow him to hurt you instead because you don’t want people to know that their beloved Senator is a user? Kyungsoo, think about it. You don’t deserve to played like this.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t answer because the Congressman had a point.

 

“I know you already have feelings for him,” Hongbin continued which made Kyungsoo look up to him in disbelief that his secret was revealed. “But you cannot let your feelings for him make you allow yourself to be used like this. Do you not want to get out and not be hurt anymore? You’re beating yourself over someone who doesn’t even regard what you would feel.”

 

Kyungsoo kept silent. Hongbin was so spot-on that he didn’t have a rebuttal. He wanted to not feel hurt anymore. He wanted to not be always having his feelings in check, if he was not doing anything that would make it hard for him to let the Senator go. He was tired. The Senator was clearly not going to just magically want to take their engagement into reality. It was time for him to be strong and do what was right.

 

 

 

Annyeonghasseyo. My name is Do Kyungsoo and I’m releasing this statement in light of the recent photo that has been circulating.

 

I want to start by apologizing to everyone who has been affected by this news.

 

Senator Wu Yifan is a good man and a great public servant. His only fault is that he is too kind-hearted to even agree to this foolish man about pretending to be his fiancé. To tell you the truth, I was never in a relationship with the Senator nor was he really engaged to me. I forced the Senator to tell the whole nation that he was engaged to me for self-gain. If there is anyone to be blamed about this whole misunderstanding, it is myself. And I could only apologize for everything.

 

I would also like to especially apologize to Senator Wu and his real fiancé, Byun Baekhyun. I have brought havoc into their relationship that I can’t even begin to imagine if they would consider this apology. I hope that by this statement, I somehow patched whatever strain I have inflicted on them.

 

With this statement, I hope everyone’s questions are answered. I also hope that you continue to put your faith to Senator Wu. There is no greater public servant than Senator Wu and you could trust that he will not throw your confidence in him to waste.

 

Kris crumpled the piece of paper containing Kyungsoo’s press-released statement. Kyungsoo, what are you thinking. He looked around his office and everybody was looking at him, anticipating his reaction. “Where is Kyungsoo right now?” He finally asked.

 

“He’s probably still at the ramyun shop, working,” Yixing answered. From the beginning, he always thought that pretending to be engaged was a bad idea. And now, he was proven right.

 

“Tao, fetch him at his workplace. I want to talk to him,” Kris commanded in suppressed anger. The bodyguard only nodded and went on his way to get Kyungsoo.

 

“Who could be behind this?” Suho raised the question. “I mean, Kyungsoo couldn’t have been the one who released this statement to the press. Someone must be helping him.”

 

The Senator already had an idea as to whoever it was. Congressman Lee Hongbin.

 

 

 

………………………………

Noona’s Notes:

Leave me comments. Upvote the story. These are the things that keep me going with all my stories. Let me know what keeps you reading so I can also find my reason to keep on writing. As mentioned, I am super busy and if I don’t receive feedbacks I will think that nobody’s interested anymore so I might stop writing this altogether.

Keep the krisoo love burning! Just like Yifan who wore fiery red in his IG post. Red, the color of sweltering love.

Love,

krisoo_noona