Chapter 15

The Senatorial Candidate

Baekhyun watched as Kris leaned down to kiss Kyungsoo, the Senator’s fake fiancé, from the corner where he hid. His insides swirled the moment their lips touched. He may not be in love with Senator Wu but he was possessive and technically, Kris was rightfully his. Aside from that, there was something about Kyungsoo that made him hate his guts. He saw Kyungsoo as an opportunist, someone taking advantage of the situation, and of course that made him hate the doe-eyed male.

He wasn’t supposed to be at the NMYL ball. But his father couldn’t make it so he was sent to represent the President. It was his role after all—forever the representative when the President either refused or deemed the event as unnecessarily in need of his presence. However, Baekhyun knew better. He was sent with an underlying motive. His father knew that Kyungsoo would be there and it was some sort of a secret message from the President: to keep an eye on his fiancé. And Baekhyun understood it as clearly as the fresh water that flowed in a stream.

“For someone pretending to be engaged, they act like they are real, don’t you think?” A voice interrupted Baekhyun’s thoughts from further enumerating the things that he hated about Kyungsoo.

“What are you doing here?” Baekhyun asked the moment he recognized the intruder.

“I think you forgot that I am Senator Wu’s bodyguard so where he goes, I’ll be there,” Chanyeol replied matter-of-factly which irritated Baekhyun.

“Isn’t Tao supposed to be the one with him?” Baekhyun barked, obviously annoyed at Chanyeol’s condescending answer.

“He went to Yixing’s to be with the baby. I’m here to fill his duty.”

Baekhyun groaned because he wasn’t expecting Chanyeol to be there. Of course, he didn’t want Chanyeol to be present when he would go and secure his fiancé from Kyungsoo’s seduction. It would be very uncomfortable for him. He decided to avoid Chanyeol already and having him there wasn’t exactly helping that.

In a surprising turn of events, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun by the wrist and dragged the smaller male away from ballroom. It caught Baekhyun offguard that he wasn’t able to free himself from the giant’s grip. The next thing he knew, he was shoved against a wall inside an empty room, Chanyeol pinning him with his weight.

“Why don’t we show Kris that you can also kiss another guy and return the favor?” Chanyeol whispered against Baekhyun’s lips which made the latter’s breath hitch.

With his voice stuck in his throat, Baekhyun wasn’t given the chance to voice out his protest. Chanyeol’s lips crashed against his and he definitely did not have the strength to stop the giant then. One thing led to another. He was in that cycle again where he would allow Chanyeol to do anything to him and then regret it later. Why wouldn’t he regret it when he had his legs wrapped around the giant and being ed just the way he liked it?

Therefore, after they were both out of their high from having impulsive and Baekhyun’s reason came back to him, the latter fumbled on getting his pants back on and left the unsuspecting Chanyeol behind.

He wanted to avert his eyes somewhere else, to not look at that area on the dance floor where a couple was dancing, but it was as if Kyungsoo lost his self-control. He couldn’t look away. He needed a distraction. And thankfully the distraction came in the form of a gorgeous, sweet smile Congressman who was striding towards him.

“I do not understand why a stunning man like you would be alone sitting here,” Hongbin greeted as he occupied the seat that Kris left. “If I don’t know any better, I would think that you’re purposely hiding yourself.”

Kyungsoo gave Hongbin a shy smile and unconsciously played with the table napkin on his lap. “Where’s your fiancé?” the Congressman continued. The smaller male tried to stop himself from diverting his gaze to where Kris and Baekhyun was but he betrayed himself because Hongbin followed his eyes and turned to witness the couple dancing intimately in the middle of the dance floor. “Why didn’t Kris dance with you instead?” Hongbin asked suspiciously.

“I can’t dance,” Kyungsoo laughed awkwardly. “And he can dance with anyone. He deserves to have fun. I don’t want to be a killjoy.”

Hongbin didn’t look convinced at all but Kyungsoo was glad that the Congressman didn’t probe further. They jumped to a different topic and he was glad that it distracted him from glancing to the dance floor. Their conversation went from how Hongbin entered the world of politics down to Kyungsoo’s life as an orphan. They also talked about Soojin and his Dara Noona. It was such a diversion that Kyungsoo didn’t even realize Kris and Baekhyun were not at the dance floor anymore until he glanced again.

“It’s getting really loud out here. Do you wanna go somewhere else?” Hongbin suggested and Kyungsoo nodded in agreement. He couldn’t see Kris anywhere anyway so he might as well enjoy his time alone.

They went outside, to the garden outside the ballroom. They walked for a while before deciding to settle on one of the benches lined up along the walkway. The conversation that they left inside was picked up to where they left it off. Kyungsoo didn’t realize that they had been outside for about an hour already until Hongbin pointed it out. He was having such a light-hearted discussion with the Congressman that time seemed to not matter.

Hongbin got up on his feet first and stretched his legs before he held out a hand to Kyungsoo to invite the latter to stand up as well. The Congressman suggested that they go back inside because Kris could be looking for him already. In all honesty, he didn’t think Kris would be looking for him any time soon. He was sure the Senator was having a grand time with Baekhyun and in as much as he wouldn’t like to admit it, his heart ached at that fact.

They were about to walk back to the ballroom when a voice coming from the next walkway they were at halted their movement. Kyungsoo yanked Hongbin back to sit down on the bench so they could hide themselves behind the overgrown bush beside it. They shouldn’t be eavesdropping, but Kyungsoo heard his name being uttered by a familiar voice that he wanted to hear the rest.

“What?” they heard Kris ask to clarify the question.

“I said; did you like kissing Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun reiterated which shot the said man’s curiousity to the sky.

“Should we be listening to this?” Hongbin whispered, uncomfortable that they were listening to other people’s conversation.

Kyungsoo did not respond, focused on hearing Kris’ answer to Baekhyun’s question.

“No, I don’t like kissing him. We have to put on a show, Baek. I have to do it, doesn’t mean I particularly enjoy it.”

Kris’ answer was expected but it didn’t mean it wouldn’t hurt Kyungsoo any less. He could feel his heart wanting to jump outside from too much pain. He wanted to run, to not hear any more, but his body felt too heavy it felt like he weighed a ton.

Hongbin, on the other hand, watched Kyungsoo’s reaction, to see if the smaller male would give him some sort of explanation. What he just heard was confusing the hell out of him that he needed a confirmation that Kris’ answer was true. When he couldn’t get any response from the latter he waited for more information from two they were hiding from.

“That’s good to know, Kris. I just can’t help but think that you’re getting overly at ease kissing Kyungsoo. It worries me because I am still your real fiancé.” Baekhyun muttered.

Congressman Lee resisted the urge to gasp at the information. He looked at Kyungsoo again, determined this time to get a response, either a reassuring smile or a nod to the head, anything really. Instead, the smaller male looked down at his fumbling hands and avoided Hongbin’s accusatory gaze.

“Let’s go back inside,” Kris said. “I still need to find Kyungsoo.”

They could hear footsteps dwindling down and when they no longer could hear any movement, Kyungsoo stood up first and tried to walk back to the ballroom. Hongbin grabbed him by the wrist and forced him to look at the Congressman. He knew Hongbin would have questions after that. He was hoping he could elude it though which was not likely to happen.

“Are you not Kris’ fiancé?” Hongbin inquired, incomprehension evident on his face.

The doe-eyed male sighed. There was really no other way but to just tell the man the truth. “No, I’m not. Please don’t tell anyone.”

“If you’re not his fiancé, then it’s really Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo nodded and hung his head low. He didn’t know exactly how to make his situation a little less complicated that Hongbin would understand.

“How come you’ve announced that you were engaged when you’re really not?”

“It’s really complicated. I don’t want to talk about it.”

Kyungsoo’s reply made Hongbin comprehend that it was indeed really complicated. Because Kyungsoo was already falling for Kris, but the Senator was too oblivious that he was hurting Kyungsoo with their setup. For some reason, Hongbin found himself wanting to help Kyungsoo get out of his fake engagement to Kris, modesty be damned.

Hongbin intertwined his and Kyungsoo’s hands. The latter was surprised by the action but didn’t break away from it. The Congressman’s hand was warm against his it provided him comfort and assurance. He appreciated the gesture by giving Hongbin’s hand a light squeeze and smiled up at him to convince the politician that he was okay.

They walked back into the ballroom. People were still dancing and chatting with each other that Kyungsoo felt suffocated from all the noise. He didn’t want to be there anymore. “Hongbin, if you don’t mind, can you take me home?”

“Sure, no problem,” Hongbin agreed without second thought. “Just wait for me out front while I go get my car.”

“Oh no, I’ll go with you. I need to go to Kris’ car anyway to tell Tao I’m going home.”

When Kyungsoo reached Kris’ car he was thankful it was Chanyeol he saw leaning against it. Tao would have been insistent in taking him home instead. But Chanyeol, he was not the one to make a fuss about things. He simply said an ‘okay’ and ‘I will tell Kris you already went home’ before Kyungsoo strode towards Hongbin’s car.

Kyungsoo hadn’t even gone far from Chanyeol when Kris arrived and called out for him. He turned around to face the Senator to tell him he was going home. The conversation at the garden played in his head the moment he saw the blonde’s face and he couldn’t hide his discomfort, or maybe even resentment, about it.

“Where have you been and where are you going?” Kris asked when he got closer to where Kyungsoo was.

“I’m going home. I’ve asked Hongbin to take me so you don’t have to worry. You can go back to the party.”

“Do you seriously think that people won’t be looking for you when I go back there alone?”

“Baekhyun is there with you anyway, what do you still need me for?” Kyungsoo muttered, unable to contain himself.

“What are you trying to say?”

“What I’m trying to say is that I’m tired and I want to go home. I already played the part you needed me for. Can’t you at least return the favor and let me go?” Kyungsoo responded exhaustedly.

Hongbin’s car pulled over near Kris and Kyungsoo. The Congressman got out of his car and went to stand beside the smaller male. “Are you ready to go?”

When Kyungsoo nodded, Kris wasn’t able to do anything to stop him and just watched as he and Hongbin headed toward the car. The latter slipped an arm around Kyungsoo which made him look up at the Congressman in confusion.

“We’re putting on a show. Is Kris the only one allowed to do that with you?” Hongbin announced playfully in a whisper, which Kyungsoo answered with a laugh.

He didn’t know why he laughed at what Hongbin said. It wasn’t funny at all albeit uttered playfully. If anything, he should have been insulted that Hongbin used something that hurt him to ridicule him instead. But he didn’t mind because maybe he was playing along. Maybe, his laughter was meant to put on a show as well.

………………………………….

Noona’s Notes:

Please hold on. Kyungsoo will have his retribution. That stupid log Kris will get what he deserved so let us all cry and be hurt with Kyungsoo for now. And their engagement will be broken off soon which will torture Kris so much /evil laugh/.

Comment and upvote please. Inspire me to write faster.

Cheerios! Ivee (krisoo_noona)

P.S.

If you follow me on twitter, you know that I made a special announcement about the Untitled fic (that is if you’ve read it too). So make sure to check krisoo_noona .