Chapter 14

The Senatorial Candidate

 

“Hongbin?” Kyungsoo was surprised to see Mr. Lee’s nephew at the ramyun shop he worked at. He didn’t expect that he would see the young man in that part of Seoul at all.

 

“Kyungsoo! What a surprise,” Hongbin said in equal surprise. “I didn’t know you work here. Why didn’t I see you before?”

 

“Well, I was on leave for a while but I’m back now,” Kyungsoo waited for Hongbin to settle in his seat before he continued. “So, what can I get you?”

 

“There’s only one thing I come here for and that’s the special ramyun. But now, I think I have another reason to frequent the place.”

 

Kyungsoo slightly blushed at Hongbin’s statement. He gave Mr. Lee’s nephew a shy smile and informed him that he would have his order shortly. Kyungsoo forwarded the order to his ahjumma boss and went to Soojin to check on her. The baby girl was busy playing with her toys including the one Kris returned to them. He played with her for a few minutes before he got the order and delivered it to Hongbin.

 

“Is that your niece?” Hongbin inquired as Kyungsoo placed the special ramyun in front of him.

 

Kyungsoo glanced back to Soojin and nodded. “Yeah, how did you know about her?”

 

“My uncle told me about it. Are you still looking for her father?”

 

“Uh, yeah, she really needs her father especially since she needs medical attention,” Kyungsoo slid in the seat across Hongbin. He proceeded on telling the man about Soojin’s heart condition and Hongbin showed genuine concern.

 

Kyungsoo really did not intend to give Soojin to her father if the man didn’t want to accept her. He just wanted to let Soojin’s father know that he had a daughter and for the father to help Kyungsoo in the baby girl’s medical expenses. In as much as Kyungsoo wanted Soojin to receive love from her biological father, he was a practical man and there was a possibility that the father won’t be able to care for Soojin because the man may already have had a family of his own. So, Kyungsoo settled that if that was the case, they would be just asking for help in Soojin’s medication finances.

 

“There’s a government program that helps children with medical needs. I bet she’s in it knowing that Senator Wu is your fiancé.”

 

“Actually, no, she’s not in any government program. I’ve been making ends meet when it comes to her medication.” Kyungsoo played with his hands to avoid looking at Hongbin in the eyes. He was afraid that the man could see through him.

 

“That’s odd. I was sure that the first thing Kris would have done to help you was to get your niece to one of those government programs,” Hongbin said puzzlingly, cocking his head to the side. “Speaking of Kris, are you going with him to the NMYL ball?”

 

Kyungsoo gave Hongbin a questioning look, no idea as to what the latter was talking about. “I’m not sure. He hasn’t asked me yet?” Kyungsoo replied uncertainly, hoping Hongbin was convinced but he didn’t know what he should say. He and Kris hadn’t talked about what they would do about their fake engagement. And he didn’t want to say anything that would compromise the Senator. As far as he knew, nothing had been announced about them having broken up so technically he was still fake-engaged to the politician.

 

“Oh, maybe he’ll ask you tonight because the ball is tomorrow,” Hongbin concluded and Kyungsoo was glad that the former didn’t suspect anything.

 

Kyungsoo left Hongbin’s table so the man could finish eating. Once it was time for Hongbin to leave, he informed Kyungsoo that he could help him with Soojin to be in a government program that would help her with medical expenses. Kyungsoo thanked Hongbin and the latter said that he would be coming back to the ramyun shop sooner than usual.

 

 

 

There was some truth to what Hongbin said about Kris asking him to the NMYL ball that night. It was partly true because although he was asked to be Kris’ date, the latter was not the one who personally asked him. Instead, he found Suho in the ramyun shop that night explaining to him that since they had not made any announcement yet about the engagement, they needed him to play the supportive fiancé part one more time.

 

Kyungsoo was hesitant to agree. Who wouldn’t be when Kris’ real fiancé was already in town? It would be awkward and all kinds of wrong especially when Baekhyun would also be there. But then again, Suho was sent for a reason. Kris’ chief-of-staff was talented with words and was able to present the reasons why Kyungsoo should go in a less obstinate kind of way.

 

On the night of the NMYL ball, Tao and Yixing went to Kyungsoo’s apartment and Yixing was appalled by Kyungsoo and Soojin’s living condition. He couldn’t believe that Yifan allowed them to go back to a horrendous place. The manager held back his mouthful of insults for the place though, afraid of hurting Kyungsoo’s feelings, and proceeded to dress Kyungsoo up for the ball.

 

“You never fail to surprise me, Yixing,” Kyungsoo commended when he got out of the bathroom after putting on the suit. He hadn’t seen how he looked yet but he knew he looked good by just how he felt wearing the suit. It fitted him in the right places comfortably.

 

“I can’t believe you still doubt my magical hands,” Yixing replied in feigned disbelief.

 

“Wow, you look good,” Tao commented from where he was situated playing with Soojin on his lap.

 

Kyungsoo grinned at the bodyguard in gratitude. Yixing then made a few last minute checking on Kyungsoo before they left. They had to drop Yixing and Soojin to the former’s apartment first before Kyungsoo would meet Senator Wu so they had to leave sooner if he didn’t want to be late.

 

The moment they reached the venue, Kris was already waiting for Kyungsoo. The Senator opened the car door for him and he climbed out of the car. Kris gave him a once over before the Senator closed the door.

 

“You look good,” Kris commented, looking right into Kyungsoo’s eyes to emphasize that he meant the compliment.

 

“Thanks. You look good yourself, Mr. Senator,” Kyungsoo returned with the same amount of sincerity.

 

“I’m really thankful you accepted the invitation,” Kris said as they walked towards the entrance to the venue, placing a hand on the small of Kyungsoo’s back.

 

“Who can really say no to Suho? Good move for sending him do the dirty work,” Kyungsoo jested to steer himself away from the heaviness he was feeling on his back where Kris’ hand was resting.

 

They entered the large ballroom and there were people inside already. It seemed that the ball had started and Kyungsoo thought he must have been late. If he was, Kris didn’t say anything to him. They moved around the place, Kris introducing him to a few people he couldn’t even remember the names. Kyungsoo was thankful though because Kris didn’t leave his side and made sure that he was included, from time to time, in conversations so as not to make him feel left out. He responded in short, polite answers and Kris was quick to rescue him when he had run out of things to say. The Senator was really acting the part of an attentive fiancé.

 

They sat at a table near the dance floor together with Kris’ colleagues in the Senate minority. After dinner was served, a short program was held to give awards to the top ten legislators who had shown exemplary achievements for the past year. Kyungsoo was surprised when Kris’ name was called but then came to realize that the blonde was a Congressman before he became a Senator. Therefore, he must have done something great when he was still a Congressman.

 

Kris gave Kyungsoo a look before he got out of his seat and went to the stage to receive the plaque. He bowed politely to the MC and received the award with both hands. The MC then ushered him to the mic stand, urging the Senator to give a short thank you speech.

 

“Oh wow,” Kris started. “Thank you to the NMYL committee for giving me this award. Having been given the chance to do the things I love is already rewarding in itself. But to be given recognition for being good at doing the things I love is unbelievably amazing! Although I would have preferred it if you’ve given me the award for the most handsome NMYL member,” the audience laughed at the Senator’s joke and Kris paused for a moment to wait for the laughter to die down. The man was really funny and charming, Kyungsoo thought, which was why it wasn’t so hard to like him. “I would also like to thank my lovely fiancé, Kyungsoo,” Kris points a hand to where Kyungsoo was sitting and the latter stilled in his seat in surprise.

 

Kyungsoo felt hot at the sudden attention turned to him. He could feel all the eyes of the audience casted down on him like a spotlight. He could feel the heat rushing to his cheeks and the tip of his ears and he was pretty sure he looked like a brushing bride at that.

 

“Without my fiancé’s love, understanding, and support, I wouldn’t have been able to make it through.” Kris stared meaningfully at the stiffened Kyungsoo who was awkwardly smiling back at him. “Once again, thank you NMYL. I will continue to work hard in the future.” Kris bowed to the MC and the audience before he went down the stage and joined Kyungsoo at their table.

 

Kris hadn’t been able to fully settle on his seat when the MC spoke, “Now I understand why Senator Wu is so dedicated to his work. With a fiancé like that, who needs any other support system, right?” The audience chuckled in agreement at the MC’s playful banter and someone from the audience shouted “kiss!” which made the rest follow in a chant. “Senator Wu, the tribe has spoken. Give us some love,” the MC continued.

 

Kyungsoo was in disbelief at the legislators’ childishness. He always thought that lawmakers were serious people with no time for childlike requests. But as it turned out, when politicians were placed in an enclosed space, their inner playfulness came out. He looked up worriedly at Kris who was not fazed at all by the teasing. If anything, it was as if the Senator was keen on granting the request.

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes when Kris leaned down to kiss him. It was a simple touch to the lips but it took longer than a peck, enough for Kyungsoo to knowingly taste the Senator’s soft, sweet lips. When they separated, Kyungsoo looked away in embarrassment while Kris’ gaze lingered on him before the Senator gave the audience his triumphant smile. Of course, the ballroom was filled with cheers and hoots from the satisfied audience.

 

“Why did you do that? You didn’t have to thank me because I have done nothing to help you at all,” Kyungsoo whispered after all attention was diverted from them to the MC at the stage.

 

“It would be more suspicious if I didn’t mention you at all, Soo. A man in love with his fiancé is supposed to thank the person who gave him inspiration. If I am to convince people that we are real, that was how to do it.”

 

“But we aren’t real and we’re supposed to slowly let people know that our relationship is not going well so it won’t be too obvious when we break the engagement. It’s going to be hard breaking off the engagement now,” Kyungsoo sighed.

 

Kris’ face turned stoic in an instant and Kyungsoo didn’t know what to make of it. “Do you really resent being my fiancé that much? Do you want to get rid of me as fast as you can?”

 

“No, it’s not like that—“ Kyungsoo was unable to continue because Kris cut him off.

 

“Don’t worry about how to break off the engagement. I’ll come up with something so you can be freed of me as soon as you can.” Kris’ hardened expression had made Kyungsoo to not say anything more. It wasn’t his intention to offend the Senator, he was just concerned that it will be hard for Kris and Baekhyun to be together if the politician was still fake-engaged to him.

 

The program continued on with other legislators receiving the award as well. Everyone who received the award was not saved from the MC’s playful remarks and the audience spirited requests, which made Kyungsoo somehow relieved because at least he and Senator Wu wasn’t an isolated case.

 

The short program did not only give out awards for exemplary legislators but also to trivial ones like ‘Darling of the Crowd’ or ‘Gentleman of the Night’. The latter was awarded to someone Kyungsoo was surprised to see. It turned out, Hongbin was a Congressman and also a member of NMYL that was why the handsome, young politician was given the ‘Gentleman of the Night’ award.

 

When the program ended, the dance floor was opened for anyone who wanted to dance. Kyungsoo who was normally not acquiescent to this kind of event remained seated while Kris conversed with the people from their table. A few minutes into Kris’ conversation with his colleagues and Kyungsoo’s silent isolation, someone interrupted them and tapped on the Senator’s shoulder. Kris turned around to face the person who vied for his attention and smiled upon recognizing who it was.

 

“Senator Wu, may I have this dance?” Baekhyun asked and flashed the most blindingly sweet smile at the Sentor.

 

“Of course,” Kris agreed immediately and slid out of his seat as Baekhyun guided him towards the dance floor.

 

Kyungsoo watched as Kris jumped out of his seat and into Baekhyun’s arms as they danced in the middle of the dance floor. The Senator didn’t even give him so much as a glance, a gesture that would have suggested that Kris acknowledged that he was present before the Senator went to dance with his real fiancé. Nothing, as if he never existed.

 

“I wanted to break up our engagement as soon as possible because of him. So you can be with him and I don’t have to see it. Because I don’t know how long I can keep my heart from breaking,” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath, watching the couple as they lovingly looked into each other’s eyes, silently hoping that his prayer would be heard by whichever god was responsible for heartbreaks.

 

 

 

To be continued…..

 

 

 

………………………………..

 

Noona’s Notes:

Did you wait long for this? Sorry I got stuck writing that new krisoo I’m working on (which I posted a description already although it’s not even halfway done) and it took most of my time. Well, aside from writing the update for TP of course.

Anyway, tell me what you think of this chapter. Is Kyungsoo too much of a masochist to agree being Kris’ date to the ball? Do you want them to break off their engagement asap or do you want more fiancé moments for them? Tell me. I have so many ideas for this story I don’t know what to follow.

Comment and upvote please. It would really mean a lot. Thank you!

Cheerios! sunskyivee