1

Maybe Someday Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

When she was younger, she and her dad would race to the water and wait for the waves to push them back to shore - or so she thought - with her feet buried under the sand, her head in the clouds.

Those days were long gone. And as she stood by the beach, the tips of her toes barely touching the water, she wished she was a kid again. The past month had been a trying one and she wasn't sure if she could carry on further. Her eyes burned and her chest tightened painfully at the reminder of how everything just came crashing down on her. Breathing was becoming an effort. And as a tear rolled down her cheek, her control shattered.

If only the breeze would lighten her burden... if only the waves would carry all her problems away...

The salty breeze whipped her hair, the ocean spray, a cold mist against her skin. It was comforting and she finally stepped into the water. But as soon as her foot touched the surface, the icy coldness shocked her and she immediately jumped back. Just then, a jet of water shot from below. It's icy claws tugged her foot so forcefully, she lost her balance. A scream tore from her lips as she struggled to get free from the vice grip on her ankle. She kicked and flailed but to no avail as it dragged her deeper into the ocean. It pulled her down relentlessly and she was helpless. Her vision swam and she couldn't distinguish the sky from the ocean. She wasn't a strong swimmer and her lungs burned from the lack of oxygen. This was how she'd die, she thought. And everything turned black.

Air rushed into her and she woke with a gasp, the water rising from her lungs. Vaguely, she could hear a voice, male. It soothed her and stripped away the fear she felt. But she was coughing out water to even understand what he was saying. She was lying on her side, while his hand her back. After she had calmed down and was able to breathe normally, she rolled towards her left and her tear-filled eyes lifted to the person who rescued her.

The lack of oxygen must have addled her brain for it was playing a cruel joke on her. The sun was beginning to set and shadows danced on his face - a familiar face that looked different at the same time. She squinted, in her effort to clear the haze, to stop herself from drowning in them, but the image of him gazing upon her like she was something so fragile and precious remained.

"You," she uttered, her voice hoarse against the relaxing sound of the waves lapping the shore. It was as if earlier was but a dream. Now could also be another dream. She pushed herself up - rather clumsily - when he pulled her to him. The sudden gesture made her dizzy... and confused. One arm wound around her shoulders, while his other hand her hair. She stilled at his tenderness and her protests died in . 

"I was so scared," he rasped, his breath hot against her ear. "I thought I lost you." There was a catch in his voice and slight tremors wracked his frame. "I can't lose you, I can't." The hand on her hair moved down and she found herself pressed closer to his body - warm and solid - and she felt more than heard the frantic beating of his heart. "This is all my fault. Forgive me. I won't-"

"Wh-what?" she spluttered as his apology knocked some sense back to her. What was she doing letting him hold her so intimately? She pushed against him but he only tightened his hold. 

"Please, understand-"

"-explain," she demanded but no matter how hard she pushed, he wouldn't budge. She shouldn't have been surprised with his apology. Nothing good ever happens to her when he is involved. 

"The only way they could get to me is you. They know they can't hurt me. But they found out. They hurt you, they kill me," he rambled and his words were foreign to her ears. "I won't let them. They won't touch you. I promise, I will protect you." 

The press of his lips against her temple rattled her. She pushed him again and this time, he relented. But he merely loosened his hold, so she could turn to face him but not move away from him. Her emotions were a mix of confusion and irritation. He saved her life, but if he was the reason she almost died, he would answer to her. "You're telling me..." she heaved, "that your enemies almost drowned me to get revenge on you?"

He nodded, his gaze apologetic.  

Shivers run up and her down her back at the confirmation. Fear for her life and her family clutched her heart. They'd kill her because of him. Him.

"But that doesn't make sense! Why would they- Why me?!" Panic rose in her voice and she struggled to get free from him. "You're wrong. What would your enemies gain by killing me? I-"

"-my life-"

"-I've got nothing to do-"

"-you're my life-"

"W-what?" she choked and she backed away from him but the arms around her waist didn't allow her to create more distance.

His gaze was set on hers, determined and unyielding, mesmerizing. It was as if he could see right through her thoughts and her very soul. Butterflies she never knew resided in her stomach fluttered their wings. She looked away to get rid of the emotions he stirred in her. It was unnerving. But he cupped the side of her face, tentatively, and gently turned her head to face him. She froze at the contact and her skin prickled at the touch of his hand. It was warm and trembling, like his eyes - eyes that were bright with unshed tears as they looked upon her with an emotion she could not name.

"You're my life. Mela en' coiamin," he declared and his vow echoed around them. "The other half of me. My-"

"-the bane of your existence." Her gaze turned hard and his hand that was on her cheek fell limp to his side. Pain flashed in his eyes - pain from her words that seem to have wound him. But she was not done. "You hate me-"

"-no, no-" His voice quivered as he shook his head in denial.

"-you made it very clear-"

"-please, listen-" He reached out for her but she leaned away.

Please log in to read the full chapter