5: let's play a game

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

five: let's play a game[/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]

["Keeping you alive is a bit harder, see? That's what makes it more fun!"] [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

Juyeon surprised even herself with how fast she acted.

Before the boy had even finished his sentence, Juyeon had anticipated what would happen and dove out of the reeds and made a break for it.

"After her!" someone yelled. There was a flurry of movement and Juyeon saw the students―no, the monsters―rush at her.

" ," Juyeon breathed, toes digging into the earth as she ran back to Sunset's entrance. She didn't even know why she was bothering. She literally just saw these freaks perform superhuman acts. Even still, she felt like she could be safe if she just ran back to the safety of her room.

The earth suddenly began to break down beneath her. Quicksand?

"Shiiiiit," Juyeon muttered, scrambling out and into safety. Someone suddenly appeared right beside her with inhuman speed.

"Get over here," he growled, and reached for her. Juyeon ducked and kept running, but the student could move at a speed that was practically a blur. Juyeon felt his hand close around her hair, and she sobbed in fear and pushed at him to no avail.

"Now, calm down or I'll break your―UGH!" Someone collided directly with him and he was knocked away. "What the hell? I had her!" He yelled.

"Sorry!" another called. "But I want no chores for a month. I'll be the one handing the normal in!"

"You ing idiot!" There were sounds of fighting behind her, but Juyeon was already stumbling away, breathing heavily from the exertion. She kept herself healthy and athletic (it helped increase brain power), but she was no track and field star. The running and panic was taking a toll on her.

The students were using their mutant powers to get closer to her, but their greed for the prize got in the way, and they were basically fighting each other instead of running after Juyeon. For a heart-breakingly wonderful moment, Juyeon thought she could make it.

Then she remembered one of these s could teleport.

Just as she was about to reach the Sunset doors, a cloud of swirling black smoke exploded in front of her, and she ran smack into someone's chest.

Immediately, long fingers tightened around Juyeon's wrists. She looked up to see the teleporter Kai grinning down at her. From up close, he really was ridiculously handsome, with slightly dark, almost tanned skin and fluffy hair and a smile that flashed pearly white teeth like a movie star. But it wasn't a very nice smile. It was a predatory smile.

"Whoa, there, sweetheart," he chuckled. "Where are you running off to?"

Juyeon expected him to snap her back to that shorter boy, like the rules said. Instead, he was content to simply stand there leering at her like a dangerous animal. It was almost like he was waiting for her to react in fright.

Despite her heart pounding double time, Juyeon refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing her scream or cry. Her lips pressed into a thin line as she struggled to free herself.

"Aw, come on, darling," Kai whined. "You're taking all the fun out of this. Can't you give me a little scream of terror? I am the big bad wolf that's going to eat you up."

Juyeon responded with a well-aimed kick to his nether regions. Kai let go of one of her wrists to block the foot, and instantly Juyeon grabbed a fistful of that soft, fluffy hair (it was actually very soft) and pulled as hard as she could.

"Wha―? Ow, stop that!"

"Let … me … GO!!!" Juyeon shrieked at the top of her lungs, right into Kai's ear. He flinched and seemed temporarily stunned as Juyeon shakily hissed, "H-how's that for a scream, you ?"

She pulled free and began to run, but was caught easily by Kai again. This time, a scowl was forming on his face. "Don't think you can be funny to me, darling."

He grabbed for ―and suddenly there was a strong gale like a miniature hurricane, and Juyeon was in the air. A surprised, breathy scream caught in as Kai's baffled face became smaller and smaller.

Juyeon soared up into the night sky until she made contact with something. She desperately grasped at it for safety, until she realized who it was.

Familiar cold eyes stared back at her, uninterested, and his blond-brown hair was wildly messy from the gusts of wind. In the darkness of the night sky, it seemed more brown than yellow.

"You sure like causing trouble, don't you?" He muttered as Juyeon gaped at him.

Frantically, she tried to push him away, but he grabbed her by the back of her neck. "I should just drop you," he said in a mild tone. "Maybe when your brain is all over the dirt you'll stop being a nuisance."

Juyeon shivered, and felt like a bucket of ice cold water w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter