4: the stadium by the lake

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

four: the stadium by the lake[/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]

[Then things started to get weird.] [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

Juyeon lightly trailed after the boys, keeping only close enough to hear their voices. They seemed so normal, yet … she knew it. She KNEW that one boy had heard her heartbeat. Somehow he did, and if it wasn't for that other boy distracting him, she didn't know what would have happened to her.

As Juyeon followed the boys, she wondered how they planned to leave. Were they going to break the door down? And why were they running about in West Wing?

Juyeon stopped and peeked around the corner, where, sure enough, the two boys were standing in front of Sunset's main exit. The lights down that hallway were on, although feeble and flickering like a horror movie cliche. In the dim light, Juyeon saw the two boys. They were both tall and lean, but one of them sported very muscular arms through a black wifebeater shirt while the other wore a sweatshirt and track pants. One boy had fluffy, soft-looking dark hair, while the other boy had short, spiky black hair. Both were handsome. Both had that pin―even the boy wearing the wifebeater had it pinned to the shirt.

"I'll see you on the other side," said the boy wearing the wifebeater. With a sly grin, he snapped his fingers and disappeared in a cloud of black smoky tendrils, instantly reappearing on the other side of the doors in the same black cloud.

Juyeon's jaw dropped. He teleported! That wasn't even possible! She felt her legs shake and quickly turned away from the corner and slid to the ground.

"Show off," the other boy, who must have been Chanyeol, muttered. She heard a strange sound―the kind of sound you hear in a flickering fire―and a weird, high keening noise.

The black-haired boy called Chanyeol laughed, and Juyeon heard the unmistakeable sound of a heavy metal door opening.

"Took you long enough," the teleporter called.

"Shut up, you. Come on, we'll be late!"

The voices once more faded away, and Juyeon peeked around the corner once more. A tiny squeak escaped .

The entire handle on the door had melted away.

Juyeon walked over and stared at the twisted blob of metal, which was still smoking. She lightly pushed the door open and met no resistance. Somehow, that Chanyeol kid had melted the lock on the door to nothing.

The grass was slightly wet from dew, and Juyeon grimaced as she tread through it on bare feet. There was a light breeze that made her shiver. She should have brought a sweater or something.

Juyeon followed the slight trail made by the boys; or rather, one trail. She figured that teleporter had simply snapped his way to their destination.

As she lightly jogged after them (she figured the rustling trees hid her sound well), tripping over mud clumps and small rocks and her own feet, she realized they were making their way to the South Wing, where the lake was.

She followed after them as they reached the outskirts of the forest, a thick tangle of conifers and deciduous trees. Whether they were forbidden or not, nobody wanted to go near that forest. There was something so ominous about it. Maybe that was another weird science to keep them away. Or maybe it was just creepy. That was probably it.

There was a large clearing in-between the lake and the forest, and Juyeon noticed that several logs (probably from fallen trees, judging by the green moss completely covering them like a carpet), were dragged in a rough circle, and strange, glowing orbs of bright white light floated high above the crowd and lit up the clearing like a stadium.

Sitting on the logs were people she's never seen before.

Now, Juyeon was just making a guess here, since she was too far away to tell. But she bet her last history assignment mark that they all wore the weird animal pins.

The two boys made their way to the clearing,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter