3: lunacy

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

three: lunacy[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2][It was the kind of night where anything could happen.]

[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Juyeon couldn't sleep.

After tossing and turning for more than fifteen minutes, she gave up and opened her eyes. Her roommates, a shy giggly girl called Miyoung and an athletic girl called Danjung, were sound asleep. Her other roommate, Chana, was gone, probably sneaking into her boyfriend's room in the South Wing. Juyeon rolled her eyes but couldn't bring herself to care.

It was probably her fault she wasn't very close to the other girls, but she was too busy with her strict schedule to go to their dorm parties or stay up sharing stories. In a way, Juyeon's own actions made her rather lonely. She knew that, but she didn't want to change.

Juyeon checked the clock and groaned out loud, then quickly stopped to see if she accidentally woke up the other girls. Danjung rolled over in her sleep and Miyoung mumbled something before falling silent.

It was eleven fifty-eight. Juyeon was missing out on much-needed sleep! The brain needed this moment to sort through and remember everything she'd studied the day before.

Upset once more, Juyeon glared at the red electronic digits on the clock, as if willing them to lull her back asleep. It was no good. She was wide awake now. Strange; sleep usually came very easily for her.

Eleven fifty-nine.

Maybe she should get a drink of water. Dehydration was probably wiring her brain wrong. But the dorm's shared water dispenser was broken, and Juyeon didn't feel too keen to leave in her pyjamas and drink from the school's water fountains, even if the dorms were connected to the school.

Twelve.

Juyeon stared at the digits and narrowed her eyes. She could have been mistaken, but she swore that, for a moment there, the red numbers had flickered. There it went again! It shivered and blinked at her, like it was trying to send a message.

"What in the …?" Juyeon whispered, staring with widening eyes at the numbers. First the 1 and 2 flashed, answered by the rapid stuttering of the double 0. Then the numbers went haywire, moving backwards in time so fast Juyeon couldn't keep up with each individual minute.

Suddenly, it was over. The clock was back at twelve a.m., and Juyeon sat there stunned.

The clock went crazy, Juyeon thought dizzily. It's electronic, it easily messes up, but why do I feel so uneasy?

Indeed, Juyeon was feeling very heavy and stupid. The air was suddenly stuffy and made her feel like falling into a deep sleep. This was what she wanted, wasn't it? To go back to sleep?

"But something's not right," Juyeon whispered, feeling like maybe speaking aloud would wake her up, rubbing her eyes blearily. "Something doesn't feel right at all."

Maybe it was the moon. The moonlight shone through the crack in-between the closed curtains, just barely missing Juyeon's bed and hitting the door. Juyeon read about it somewhere ― the moon could make people crazy. That was where the word 'lunacy' came from.

Juyeon fought the overwhelming sleepiness and, with a great effort, left the bed and stood up. Immediately, Juyeon felt a sudden wave of dizziness wash over her, to the point she felt nausea.

Juyeon staggered to the curtains and, meaning to close them, stumbled and opened them even wider. The moonlight hit her and, suddenly, the nausea stopped. So did the sleepiness.

The moon wasn't making her sleepy and stupid. It was the absence of it.

Juyeon frowned as she looked out her window, which opened up to a view of the area outside the school on the second floor. This could all just be a coincidence, a weird reaction by her body for overworking herself.

But it didn't seem like a coincidence. None of this did. Juyeon could feel it in her gut, and since her gut instincts were almost always correct, it didn't make sense for it to fail her now.

Someone or something didn't want her awake. And someone or something wanted every student's dorm window curtains to be clo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter