21: extracurricular activities part one

The Problem Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

twenty-one: extracurricular activities part one

[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

["Those stupid boys wanted to show a normal like you their most treasured possession."] [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

"Welcome to Extracurricular Activities!"

Juyeon buried her face into her hands and wondered how Baekhyun managed to drag her here.

Everyone in the ring cheered and clapped loudly, hooting with joy. Music heavy with bass and cymbals pounded somewhere in the crowd, and quite a few were pumping their fists to the beat. It was like they were at a concert rather than a fighting ring.

"So, how does it feel in the thick of things?" Kai yelled over the cheers, grinning his usual insufferably charming grin as he clapped along with the others. A wild gleam, hungry for a good show, shone in his eyes.

"Feels terrifying," Juyeon grumbled at him. "At least I'm not hiding in mud like last time."

Kai laughed.

 

~*~

Juyeon had stayed in the library later than normal, studying for an upcoming Mathematics test and celebrating with the librarian her official status as librarian's assistant. The librarian assured her it wouldn't take up much of her time since nobody came anyway, and would put in a good word for her with Donovan about that recommendation letter. Juyeon was delighted. Being surrounded by books and getting credit for it? Her idea of a perfect world.

The hallways were dark and spooky by the time she was running back to her room, her feet the only source of noise nearby. It was a little creepy, but the windows were just clean enough to let in the moonlight, and it calmed her thoughts and kept her from overthinking every sound she heard in the distance. To Juyeon's surprise, however, Baekhyun was waiting for her in front of the girls' dorms entrance when she returned at about nine.

"What are you doing?" Juyeon asked once she realized it was him. In a better mood than usual, she decided to a bit. Friends teased each other, right? "Waiting for a girl?"

"Yeah, you," Baekhyun countered back with a smile, not even a hint of embarrassment or shyness on his face.

For a split second, Juyeon got carried away and wondered if he was confessing his undying love to her. Then she immediately decided that was the stupidest thing she's ever thought. It was ridiculous and kind of terrifying. "Why?"

"You've been spending so much time in Narnia―"

"The library."

"Same thing. Anyway, you've been spending so much time there and I've gotten bored. We hardly ever see each other anymore!"

Juyeon couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at him. "Baekhyun, you sit right next to me in class. And you drag me to Pain's lessons of physical torture every single day. Trust me, we see enough of each other. More than I would like."

"Don't be mean. School doesn't count. And besides, you're always going off with the Idiot Duo and D.O."

True; Juyeon preferred being around D.O than anyone else, simply because he didn't talk as much. He also was the smartest of the group and they occasionally did homework together, or went through notes. The Idiot Duo, on the other hand, dragged her around the wing for stupid reasons like hunting for the legendary lake monster or trying to catch rabbits in the forest.

"That's not my fault!"

Baekhyun jutted out his lower lip and began pouting. "I want us to grow closer as friends!"

The image of pouting Baekhyun was almost too cute to ignore, but Juyeon resisted with all the impressive fortitude any girl as stubborn as her was born with. "Baekhyun, you don't even know what friendship is."

"Yes, I do."

"No, you really don't. Friendship isn't about hanging out with someone because they're interesting and then dumping them when they stop being interesting. It's about liking a person for who they are and being loyal to them. And trusting them. And not using freaky mind powers to hurt them or let them get killed."

Baekhyun just stared at her cluelessly. "But why would I want to be friends with people that aren't interesting?"

Juyeon threw her hands up in the air. "Forget it, I give up. It's not like I'm the world's expert on friendships, anyway. What do you want?"

"I thought you'd never ask! I want to bring you along to Extracurricular Activities tonight!" Baekhyun beamed, all sunshine and rainbows, like it was a wonderful idea. Juyeon begged to differ. Her hands immediately twitched up to pull and smooth her braids, in a subconsciously nervous gesture.

"Uhh, Baekhyun? The last time I went to Extracurriculars, it wasn't a very good time for me."

Baekhyun shrugged it off. "But this time you're invited, so it'll be different. You can sit in the stands―"

"You mean the logs."

"And cheer on our class―"

"As they fight to the death."

"And we'll show you the power of Class 44!"

"I really don't think―"

"Then it's settled!" Baekhyun patted Juyeon on the back. "Make sure you're down here at eleven thirty when I pick you up. If not, I'll assume you're asleep and make Kai get you."

Before Juyeon could say another word, Baekhyun was walking away, humming to himself. Juyeon almost tried to say something after him, but she realized the futility of it, just gave up, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter