Chapter 21

My Gangster

Chapter 21

 

I sat next to Se Hun at our dining table after dinner was perfectly set. My parents both sat across from us; my mom in front of me and my father in front of Se Hun. It was the most awkward atmosphere I've ever been in. I now had to find a way to explain to my parents who Se Hun was to me, whether they ask when he was around or not. What was I supposed to say? Sure, this guy has saved me a few times, but why was he here right now at a time like this without warning me? And he even lied to my parents that I invited him over. Stupid gangster kid. He was going to get it after we eat.

"So, honey, how long have you and Se Hun been dating?" My father asked breaking the silence between the four of us. Great. This had to be the first question. Why couldn't he ask me if we were dating? Why did he have to assume that we were? 

"Appa, we're not dating." I said as I put a piece of kimchi into my mouth, savoring the taste to avoid any further talk. I looked over at Se Hun, who was eating his bowl quietly. "We're just friends."

"What? Are you sure you two aren't dating?" My father raised his eyebrow at me. "I know you haven't had a boyfriend yet, but it doesn't mean I won't accept the first person you like."

I'm almost choked on my kimchi when he said that. What... Why was my father speaking like I've never liked anyone and that I had to get his approval? Okay. So he was right about not having a boyfriend, but still... Someone. Stop my father from speaking. Please.

"Appa, Se Hun and I aren't in that kind of relationship." I shook my head at my dad. "He's just a friend that I've met at school."

"Se Hun, do you like our Soo Jin?" My mother looked past me and towards Se Hun, who was now staring at my mother. "It's okay if you do. I know how my daughter can be a little stubborn when it comes to people who like her."

"Umma!" I glared at her, but she ignored me.

Did my mother have to say it like that? Was I that mean to people who liked me? I was serious. I didn't want to give people hope when they told me that they liked me. 

"Actually, Soo Jin and I aren't in that kind of relationship." Se Hun waved his hand in front of him. "She's just someone I like to hang around."

"But you have no feelings for my daughter?" My father raised his eyebrow at Se Hun.

"I've only known your daughter for a couple of months now." Se Hun said looking over at me. He smiled at me, making my heart flip. God, what the hell was this stupid gangster kid doing to me? "I can't confirm my feelings right away."

Can't confirm his feelings right away? What was this guy even thinking? I looked over at him, but he was still staring at my parents with gleeful eyes. I wonder what he was thinking while he was saying these things. I wish I could read minds. Ugh. Forget it. Too much to handle anyways. I stuffed a spoonful of rice into my mouth and started to chew on it drastically. I don't know why, but it made me feel better since this whole atmosphere around me was giving me all kinds of different mixed emotions that I couldn't stand.

"I'm glad you're thinking about your emotions before taking any actions." My father pressed his lips together into a smile. "Please, take care of our Soo Jin well, even if she can be a pain in the sometimes." I kind of just died of embarrassment. Kill me. Now. "And Ahn Soo Jin, you should treat Se Hun well; he's been taking good care of you."

"Neh..." I nodded my head and bit my lips from making myself speak anymore. I knew that if I had said anything more, they would have said something about my response so that's the only reason why I answered them that way. I didn't need to explain myself again if I were to say that I wouldn't treat him well. My parents always bickered over the littlest things. Ugh.

"Se Hun," My mother handed a few pieces of meat into Se Hun's bowl. "Here, you should eat some more. You don't look like you eat much."

"Thank you." Se Hu nodded his head with a smile.

"What do your parents do for a living?" My father asked wiping his mouth with a napkin. "I'd love to meet them."

There was silence between all of us. I looked over at Se Hun and saw that he was kind of frozen; his hand midway to his food. I already knew the answer to my father's question. Sometimes, I wish I had the guts to ask Se Hun questions like these. I barely knew the guy and we've been encountering each other for at least two months now. I knew nothing about his parents, who aren't in this world anymore, nor how he actually really lived. Maybe he wasn't a stupid gangster all of the time.

"I... I don't have any parents." Se Hun said suddenly. "They passed away when I was five years old..."

"Oh no, Se Hun, I'm so sorry I asked." My father shook his head and heaved a sigh. "How rude of me..."

"No..." Se Hun looked up and smiled at my father. "It's okay. You shouldn't be sorry; it's not like you knew."

My heart kind of hurt seeing Se Hun pretend that he was okay when my father asked the question and then even pretending that he was okay again when he said it was okay when really, it wasn't. I don't know why, but I grabbed Se Hun's hand from under the table and squeezed it lightly, reassuring that even if it wasn't going to be okay. To my surprise, Se Hun actually held onto my hand and squeezed back, letting me know how I was making him feel. He really did have no one. His grandpa was his last family member and he passed away.

"I don't know if it's rude of me to ask, but where are you staying? Do you have any relatives?" My mother asked, making the atmosphere even more awkward and sad. I wish I could stuff rice down so she would stop talking.

"My recent relative just passed away a few weeks ago." God, my heart was squeezing. I could see that Se Hun was hurt talking about these things. "I live by myself in a house I invested in."

"Oh? You have enough money to live on your own? Do you work?" My father asked curiously.

"My mother and father had money saved over and my grandfather also helped me out when possible." Se Hun replied.

"Woah, seems like you're living so well even without a guardian." My mother smiled. "If you ever need anything, come over here and we'll give you food and a shelter; we wouldn't want you to feel alone."

"Thank you." Se Hun bowed his head.

"Umma, Appa, I think you two are done eating now, right?" I stood up and grabbed Se Hun's hand and pulled him up to his feet. "Since we have a guest here, why don't the two of you clean up?"

"Rascal." My father laughed at me. "Go give our guest a show around the house."

I know my father said to show him around the house but instead, I pulled Se Hun up to my room and closed the door behind my back, locking the door. Se Hun and I were still holding hands. I didn't even realize that until I was about to walk over to my bed. I let go, apologizing, and then leaned against my desk next to my bed.

"God, I'm so sorry about my parents." I said as I awkwardly pulled a hair behind my ear. "I didn't think they'd be so embarrassing."

"Your parents are nice." He said looking around my room.

"I'm sorry they did that to you." I ran a hand through my hair and let out a heavy sigh. "I'll apologize on behalf of them."

"Don't, you idiot." Se Hun laughed. "It wasn't their fault that they didn't know."

I only stared at him. He was laughing. About what? I don't know. This kid really was weird.

"But it seems like you knew that I didn't have parents..." He looked over at me, his eyes staring right into mine.

"I guess I kind of figured..." I bit my lip. "Not that I was judging you... I just... The way you were living..."

"So you were judging." He scoffed. "Idiot."

"Well, I didn't mean it in that way." I rolled my eyes.

"Then what?" Se Hun raised his eyebrow at me. "Were you stalking me? Or were you doing a background check on me?"

"Yah!" I glared at him. "You're the one who stalks me!"

Se Hun scoffed and laughed.

"Why... Why are you even here?" I finally asked the question that I've been wanting to ask since I got home.

He pursed his lips and smiled at me. "Why? You don't want me to be here?"

"No, it's not like that..." I looked down at my feet.

I could hear Se Hun walking towards me. I lifted up my head to see where he was, only to see that he was standing right in front me, our faces less than a foot apart. I bit my lip, not knowing what to do and stared at him. He was staring at me and we stood there for a few minutes before I finally looked away. My heart was beating out of my chest and I'm sure this silence was quiet enough to hear it.

"What are you doing?" I asked awkwardly.

Se Hun lifted his hand up and touched my forehead. "Are you feeling better?"

"Wh-what?" I could feel my face burning.

"Idiot." Se Hun finally dropped his hand to the side of his body and now he was smiling at me. 

"Yah." I pushed him away from me.

"I should get going. It's getting late." He looked at the time on my drawer. "Thanks Soo Jin..."

"For what?" I asked as I saw him head towards my door. I followed after him.

"For... For this." He made his way down the stairs and headed towards the kitchen. "Thank you guys for the dinner and the warm welcoming. I'll definitely come back and join you guys again."

"But you only just got here." My father frowned. "Why don't you stay a littler longer?"

"Thank you, but I have to get home and study." Se Hun smiled at my father.

"Please join us again, Se Hun." My mother said wiping her hands on a towel. "Dinner was great with you."

"Next time, we can grill out when it's nicer out." My father winked. "I want a son; maybe I should adopt you."

"No." I said quickly.

"Why not?" My father asked laughing. "Don't you want a brother?"

"No." I said again, not giving it a thought.

"I should get going. Thank you again." Se Hun bowed and headed towards the door.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay any longer?" I asked holding onto the opened door.

"Good night, Ahn Soo Jin." Se Hun let out a small laugh and walked off.

I watched as he disappeared into the dark. I was kind of sad that he had left. I don't know why, but I was. I guess maybe I kind of wanted him to stay a little longer. I shook my head. Why would I be thinking about these things at a time like this? Did I like him? No. No way. That wasn't even possible. I ran up to my room and decided to call Jung Ah.

"What? He had dinner with you and your parents?" Jung Ah squeaked a little too loud.

"Mmm... It was... Odd." I said not knowing how to describe dinner.

"Do your parents like him?" She asked.

"Well, what do you consider it when my father is debating whether to adopt him?" I said rolling my eyes.

"What'd you say to that?" She was laughing.

"No, of course! Why would I want him as a brother?" I sighed. "That's... Weird."

"That's because you like him, stupid." Jung Ah was probably glaring at me through the phone.

"Who said I liked him?" I raised my eyebrow. "We've never done anything close enough for me to like him."

"But he likes you." She retorted. "The guy's kissed you twice; he has to like you."

"So what if he kissed me." I said.

Actually, kisses meant a lot to me since my first kiss was taken from Se Hun and he had kissed me again, making me confused. It was really bothering now that I was thinking about it.

"He was your first kiss; most first kisses make people fall in love." She hissed. "You like him, but you just won't admit it."

"Please, Jung Ah." I wish she was here with me so I could punch her.

"I guess this bet going on will go well." She said, as if she was so confident. "Se Hun has to be falling for you. If not, why would he save you from all those guys and kiss you and even show up to your house without an explanation? The guy probably wanted to see you, but he was too afraid to admit it. Gosh. You two are stupid."

"Shut up." I ran a hand through my hair, frustrated. "There's nothing between us."

"Whatever you say!" She hung up on me.

I scoffed as I took my phone away from my ear. Goodness. How was I really feeling? Did I actually like Se Hun, but was I just denying it because I was afraid? But why would I be afraid? Damn it. Stupid gangster kid giving me these stupid confusing feelings.

 

 


 
**A/N: I'm so happy! I gained over subscribers within a day! Eeek! Thank you guys for being interested. It really motivates me to write more and faster so you all can read :) Ugh. Now I have to go and study for my exam for tomorrow. I hope everyone has a wonderful day! To make it even better, go listen to SM the Ballad's new releases! They're soothing <3 Our Chenchen sings so well :DD His voice is so relaxing. Okay. I'm done yapping. Anyways, I've started a new story so go and read it too and subscribe or anything! It's called Goodbye Autumn. It features Chenchen <3 But note that I won't be posting until I'm done with this story though, but please still support and read :D. Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah!