–part one

Girlfriend and Boyfriend

Hyemi accidentally clicked on an advertisement on her computer. “Stupid mouse.” She blamed.

Who will you marry in the future?

The advertisement had said it could read into her future for free. On one hand she hesitated to believe in the ad, thinking it was just another scam and give her computer a virus. On the other hand, she was curious about what her future holds.

“To look or not to look. That is the question.”

She was just about to fill out the registration form until she got a message from her best friend. She read, “Open up the door, I’m outside.”

She scratched her head in confusion. Outside? Why would he be–

Hyemi left her laptop on her pillow and scrambled off the bed. She ran down the stairs in haze. Opening up the front door to her house, she found her best friend standing outside.

Her best friend didn’t wait another minute and strode right past her. Quickly noticing how freezing cold it was near the foyer, she closed the door and followed her best friend.

“What are you doing here so early in the morning, Mr. Kim?”

They were standing in the kitchen with her Mr. Kim walking about, doing his own thing. Hearing no response from him, she sighed and continued to watch his frantic movements. The disheveled bed-like hair, the unintentional off-shoulder shirt showing his bare shoulders (she admits he looks decently hot), the constant mumblings that made him look super cute.

He was going through the cupboards in her kitchen. “Where’s my favourite cup?!” Cupboard after cupboard, Hyemi chuckled and went to get it for him.

Placing the cup with the infinite sign in black brush , along with his name Kim Myungsoo, written on top of it, he smiled in delight. “Thanks, hehe.”

She chuckled at his fascination of the cup. Up until now, he treasured something that she had made for him several years ago when she took this super fun arts and crafts class. It wasn’t something super special but he became frantic over it from time to time, especially when he thinks she threw it out.

“I don’t know why you keep it at my place. It’s yours. It should be in your cupboard, not mine.”

Myungsoo filled his favourite cup with orange juice before paying his full attention on her. “I like it here more than there. Besides, I come over almost every day. Of course it’s only righteous to keep it here.”

Hyemi was left speechless. She sighed, then walked out of the kitchen to her living room.

Myungsoo followed her footsteps, trailing with his cup in hand. “Where’s your parents?” He asked.

“Out on a date.”

Hyemi was an only child. She loved her parents and her parents loved her, but when they had free time on their hand they preferred to go on dates. Just the two of them. They reasoned that Hyemi was old enough to have a boyfriend, and that they won’t be mad at her if she had one. They even encouraged her to date, just so that they wouldn’t feel bad leaving her behind.

“Again? Didn’t they go on a date a couple of days ago when I visited?” Hyemi nodded.

“I can’t blame them. They’re still on their honeymoon stage. Even with me  born, they’re so … romantic.” Hyemi shuddered, not being able to come up with a better reason. “They keep telling me to find a boyfriend just so I wouldn’t be so alone.”

“Then why don’t you find one?”

Hyemi sighed. “It’s not that I don’t want to date or find a boyfriend. It’s just … nobody really likes me except you and my parents. But obviously, you don’t like me that way. We’ve been best friends ever since we were kids.”

“Come on Hyemi. Stop being delusional. Do you know how popular you are at school? Almost all the guys are chasing after you. Whoever your boyfriend is will have tough competition.”

She stared at her best friend with one brow raised. “Are you sure about that? Are you included in almost all the guys?” She chuckled seeing Myungsoo fidgeting with his hand on his cup. “Here, come sit down with me. Let’s watch a movie together.”

It was these moments when Myungsoo and Hyemi felt like they weren’t alone, both being the only child in the family. Having movie dates together, especially when her parents were out, made them feel like there was something more to their relationship. The only problem with them is that they’re in denial.

Myungsoo was responsible for picking out the movie from her movie shelf. Hyemi was in charge of making the food. When everything was set, they chose their respective seats on the couch.

He sat on one end of the couch. She sat on the other end. There was a metre distance between the two. And it has always been this way at the beginning of the movie.

The movie he chose was just the right movie.

“Another horror movie!? What’s wrong with you, Kim Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo smirked, patting himself on the shoulder. He chose the perfect movie for them to watch. Watching Hyemi throw a mini tantrum was priceless for him.

“If you’re scared, you can always hide behind me. Or you know…you could even snuggle with me.”

He said it so nonchalantly that Hyemi clucked her tongue, “You wish.”

During the movie, Hyemi cowered behind her cushion every now and then. She was scared of the dolls in the movie; simultaneously she was engrossed in the film. What will happen to the family? The doll was full of blood and it could walk on its own. Its eyes were bloodshot, wide as saucers. She hated the appearance of the doll but couldn’t resist watching it.

“OH MY GOD, MYUNGIE!” Hyemi screeched, digging her nails into her cushion.

The doll had marched to the sleeping newborn and sliced it with its fingernails. They were as sharp as razors.

Myungsoo scooted closer to her and she snuggled her face into the crook of his neck. “I hate you for choosing this movie!”

He chuckled at her reaction. On one hand he liked their position as he could feel her against him. On the other hand, he wanted to focus on the movie because it was just so interesting he couldn’t bear to miss a single part.

Hyemi peeked at the large TV screen from time to time only to look away when it got to the scary parts. By now, she had clutched tightly onto the black V-neck shirt Myungsoo wore. She had to find a way to distract herself.

“Myungie.” She called the first time, but he didn’t respond to her.

She called his name a second time and got little reaction from him.

The third time she had called his name, he turned to face her.

Hyemi looked up from her best friend’s shoulder as he looked down at her. He sighed, “What’s wrong?”

“I hate you.” She glared at him.

“Love you too, Mi.”

 


YAY, first chapter's up. Tell me what you think! :)