Red and Rain

Blast (HIATUS)

    Nee(hey), Nana,

        Do you remember the day we first met? Remember how it was pouring rain that day? At that time, I may not had actually noticed that I had fallen for you, the one who was like the rain that day; quiet, gentle, and sad. I'm not sure if the red scarf was the thing that made me fall for you, or the red notebook. I don't exactly remember.

*********

      I've always hated the rain. It brings back memories I would rather keep buried deep. However, it's not only that. Whenever it rains I feel really out of it and my hair stands up. Rainy days were never lucky days for me. Maybe it's because it rained continuosly for a whole week after my parents died...? But I guess I should probably start liking them from now on, huh? Since it was raining when I met you......  -Nana

*********

     "Here" The chestnut hair-colored boy extended out his arm, offering his umbrella to the surprised red-head.   

      Ren felt really bad seeing Nana standing outside all alone, completely soaked with no umbrella or hood on her jacket. The scene was just depressing. What made the sight even more gloomy was her eyes. The same eyes that had bewitched Ren when he first caught a glimpse of them because they were so bright and radiant, were now dull and somber. He was confused as to why she was so sorrowful but figured it was just because she was drenched from head to toe. He was sure she was just miserable being in that state so he wanted to be helpful by lending her his umbrella.

      Ren wasn't exactly wrong...or right. Nana was depressed, not at the fact that the pouring rain was drenching her, but at the fact that it was pouring rain. Rainy days weren't her days. It had once rained continuosly through one of her most difficult periods in her life. The most sorrowful one too. As a result, she ended up despising the drops of water that fell from the sky.

     Nana was in deep thought about that stage of her life, her eyes fogging up with the solemn memories, when Ren snapped her out of it and offered her his umbrella.

      Nana ultimately shook her head at his offer, seeing what type of plight Ren was in. His face was pale, his cheeks a bit rosy, and he would shiver uncontrollably from time to time. Taking away his umbrella would only make his state worse. Besides, he was only doing this as an act, right? ( Keep reading to understand this view of Nana's on Rens actions)

   Ren didn't want to take 'No' for an answer though. For some strange reason, he didn't want Nana to frown like that; it didn't suit her. He wanted to make her smile, a real smile. He kept pursuing. "No, it's okay. You need it more than me." Ren smiled and gestured the umbrella towards her again.

   Nana refused for a second time and Ren sighed, dejected. He pulled back and observed Nana as she looked away from him. Goosebumps were rising on her exposed skin (being in a school uniform and having to wear a skirt didn't help at all) and her breath was visible in the cold air. Why is she so stubborn? She looks freezing! With no choice left, Ren impatiently took Nana's hand and encircled her fingers around the umbrellas' handle.

   Nana whipped her head towards him and watched as he gently forced the umbrella into her grasp. She didn't stop nor promote him. She didn't know how to react to his sudden action so she simply stared the umbrella softly placed into her hand. This abrupt and caring action made her so confused and she frowned.

  Does she think I'm weird? Maybe she doesn't like me? I wish she would stop looking at the umbrella like that... Ren was a little disappointed at the long-face Nana had plastered on her face. It looked like she was troubled by taking his umbrella. Ren turned away, let down. It looks like he failed at making her smile. Ren wasn't just depressed at the fact that she wasn't smiling or thanking him, but at the fact that her face made it look like she wasn't interested in becoming acquainted with him. The thing is, he wanted to become acquainted with her. He'd hoped to talk to her a little more since very few words were exchanged at their first meeting (all from Nana). She's probably not interested. Ren shuddered from the cold air and his soaked clothes. He wished that he'd brought a warmer jacket, or at least a scarf. I hate living in Kyoto. I want to live somewhere warmer, like Tokyo! He thought as more fits of shaking enveloped his body.

     Nana stared at Ren out of the corner of her eye. She wondered why this stranger was being so friendly to her, especially after she 'tackled' him earlier that day. Maybe she even injured him. Nana frowned ,even more than she already was, and looked away, feeling bad about the way she was treating him when he was being so kind to her.

    Nana automatically assumed that Ren was only acting nice just so he could get close to her and recieve the benefits from being friends with a member of the Lee family. Even if she was overreacting, she couldn't help it. Most people she knew outside of her family always treated her like this. Her so-called 'friends' from her old school treated her like this. They acted all nice and sweet in the beginning , but Nana eventually found out their true intentions. After Nana's parents died and she tuned out, they stopped talking to her just because she was gloomy all the time and never bothered to invite them to her house anymore. They only liked Nana because they got to hang out at her enormous mansion, be fed five-star cuisine's, and recieve expensive gifts on holidays and birthdays. But, since they couldn't get any of that luxury anymore, they cut off all ties with Nana.

     This hurt Nana's pride. As a result, she started hating her last name. What good was it if it just rewarded her with fake relationships and artificial words of affection? Nana lowered her head melancholically. Is that why he's being so nice to me? She sighed. Guess she got her hopes up for nothing.

     As Nana was in deep thought, Ren suddenly sneezed which made her snap out of her daze and turn to him, hoping her hunch about that sneeze was wrong. To her horror, it was right. She assumed that Ren was catching a cold because the umbrella was only convering her and he was standing in the open getting drenched, just like she was a few minutes ago. Ren's even rosier cheeks and nose couldn't deny her guess.

      Even if it's all an act, I can't let him get sick. Nana took Ren's hand and gently tried to force the umbrella back into his grip. But Ren had twisted his head towards her the moment he felt the skin contact and pulled his hand away from her grasp. Nana looked up at him questionly, and slightly irritated.

      He simply smiled at her, which made her even more confused. Why is he being so nice to me?

      "Didn't I tell you you need it more than me?" He asked, not expecting an answer given the way Nana was acting towards him.

       Getting mad at his stubborness, Nana finally spoke to him." But you'll get sick! It doesn't matter if I need it more, it's your umbrella! You don't need to worry about me...." Nana thought for a split second that Ren could actually be doing this out of pure sympathy, but she quickly shook the thought out of her head. The kids in her class didn't seem to like her, why should he be any different? Besides, she lost her trust for people after she was betrayed by people. "Besides...you don't even know me."

        Ren was surprised at her outburst, but also happy that she finally spoke to him. Step 1 completed. Step 2 was to get her to smile. "Actually , I do kind of know you. Your'e Lee, Nana, the new girl that sits behind me in class.....and the girl that attacked me during recess." He grinned.

       Nana glared at him but softened when she realized he was just teazing. Is he actually trying to be nice to me?

      Ren chuckled at her stare. "I'm just kidding!" He glanced at the umbrella in her hand. "You know what, I'll take the umbrella. We can share it." Without waiting for a response, Ren took the umbrella and gently pulled Nana on her arm closer to him so that they could both fit under it.

    Nana softened at Ren's cordial actions. She wasn't sure if he was doing it because he was caring or because of her background but, either way, she would pretend it was the first one. She wanted to believe it was the first one.

     "So....." Ren broke the silence, determined to get Nana to smile." Do you know me?"

     Nana looked at him. "You're Kurosaki, Ren." She stared at him. He really is cute.

      "Why are you staring at me?" Ren asked. "Thinking I was some easy prey for you to take down?" He said, referring to their collision earlier.

      Instead of recieving a glare from the girl, he heard her unexpectedly laugh. It caught him off gaurd due to its sweet and innocent sound. He thought it was cute. He knew she was warming up to him.

      Nana was also surprised to hear herself laugh. She hadn't let her walls down enough to laugh ever since the tragedy. It felt good to be in those kind of high-spirits again.

       "I'm sorry for crashing into you." Nana apologized after her fit of giggling stopped, feeling really guilty.

        Ren felt really bad now. When she crashed into him and apologized, he didn't say anything, probably making her feel even more sorry than she already was. He was too mesmorized by her beauty. But, hey, you would be too if you saw her. "It's okay! What were you doing in that old building anyway?"

        Nana was embarrassed now." I-I.. was..l-lost."

         "I see..." Ren suddenly had an idea. "But you know that that building is over 100 years old and is haunted by an Nopperabou ghost (creature with no face. Urban legend in Japan)?" This was a rumor among campus  that spread around the time the school stopped using that classroom building due to the old plumbing. Kids thought it was haunted because of the weird noises the old pipes were making and rumors swept from student to student. It was also part of the reason kids stopped hanging around there. Maybe Nana would believe it.

      Nana turned pale and stuttered, "R-Really?" She was greeted by an outbrust of laughter. She immediately glowered at Ren, knowing she had been tricked.

      Ren was finsihed cracking up when he caught Nana scowling at him. "Okay, Okay, I'm sorry! I could show you around school tomorrow so that you won't get lost again......and end up in the hands of an onryo(vengeful ghost) or an Hone-onna(skeleton woman)."

      Nana snorted. " A Hone-onna only attacks men." She said playfully.

     Ren thought for a minute, glad she was joining in on his jokes. "How about a Kuchisake-onna?"( Slit-mouthed woman. These ghosts scare the crap out of me. Just wanted to you let you know.)

     Nana blanched, earning another round of laughter from Ren. She's so gullible! He thought.

      He is so stupid. Nana thought but joined in on his laughter. But he's really nice.

   They continued chatting and shooting playful remarks at each other. Ren was just about to recommend judo to Nana because she would probably win every match and could protect herself from all the demons she was so gullible to believe that haunted the school, when two bright lights caught their attention. They turned their heads in the direction of the lights to see a black mini-van pulling up to the curb in front of them.

       "I have to go now..." Nana said, a little disappointment laden in her voice. What she didn't know was that the boy standing next to her felt the same way.  "Bye Kurosaki."

      Ren didn't want her to go for some reason and tried to come up with anything to say. " Kurosaki-kun."( Kun, is a honorific used for addressing male friends. It is also used for teachers to call their students.)

     "What?"Nana looked at him questionly.

     "Call me Kurosaki-kun." What am I saying? Ren thought. Of course she won't call you that!

     But much to his surprise, Nana smiled and nodded. "Okay....Kurosaki-kun. You can call me Nana-chan." ( Chan, is a honorific used for addressing younger children, close friends, babies, etc. Generally expresses that the speaker finds a person endearing or cute.)

    Ren nodded as a smile spread across his face. "Okay, bye, Nana-chan." He waved at her.

    Nana waved back and turned away. She put a hand over her head to block the rain while walking towards Joon's car when she felt something pull her back. She turned to meet eyes with Ren who was holding out the umbrella towards her.

   "Wh-."

   "Take it."

   Nana blinked at him. This again? She thought. She felt like they were going in circles. However, this time she definitely wouldn't accept it. "But-"

   "Please just take it." Ren interrupted. "You should keep it incase it rains tomorrow too. I don't want you to get sick." He said, smiling sweetly at her.

   Nana was so moved by his words, that didn't sound artificial at all, and took the umbrella from him. (So much for not accepting it...) She didn't move though. She didn't want to leave him in the rain she despised so much. If he got sick she would feel really awful. Nana looked up at the grey clouds and sighed. It looked like a bad storm was coming and who knows when he would get picked up. What to do, what to do...? She asked herself. He's too stubborn to take the umbrella back...

   She widened her eyes when she suddenly remembered something. She quickly used her free hand to her shoulder bag and dug through the contents. I can't believe I forgot about it! I could have used it... Nana mentally facepalmed herself and continued to search through her bag, pushing through books and binders until her hand brushed up against a cotton-like cloth. Aha! She peered inside her bag and saw what she had been looking for. She pulled out the long, wine red, knitted scarf from her bag and glanced at Ren who was looking back at her curiously.

     Once Nana finished pulling the scarf out, she looked back into her bag to make sure she still had everything in there, especially her special notebook. Everything else was in their rightful place but her special notebook. Did I leave it at home? Nana thought. She searched frantically through her bag and after awhile, just shook off the thought, hoping her assumption was right.

     She turned towards Ren and threw her free arm over his head, encircling the satin scarf around his neck. Ren looked at her with bemused eyes as she had trouble tying the ends of the cloth with only one hand. He blushed at the close contact.

     Nana finished tying the scarf and fixed it to make sure it was covering all exposed skin on Ren's neck. She looked up at him who still looked a little confounded by her actions. She chuckled a bit. "It'll keep your neck warm. Don't try to give it back to me because I won't take it. I don't want you getting sick because of me." Ren's blush spread at her affectionate words.

      " Think of it was a thank you for the umbrella and an apology for the tackling." Nana smiled at him.

      That was a real smile! Ren thought, but before he could respond Nana backed away from him. "Bye, Kurosaki-kun. Mata ash(i)ta!" (see you tomorrow!) She turned around and sprinted to Joons' car.

       Ren was left looking like an idiot, grinning from ear to ear as Nana got into the car and drove away. She's really cute and nice. Very different from what kids are saying about her in class. He thought as he pulled the cloth over his frozen nose in attempt to defrost it. He handled it gently, as if it were a small hamster. The scarf felt precious to him for some reason. It was like she was giving him her friendship instead of just some piece of cloth. He liked it.

      Ren the scarf affectionately. It was the softest thing he had ever felt before.

      He couldn't wait to see Nana again.

  **********

      "How was school today?" Manager Joon greeted Nana as she stepped inside the car and they pulled away from the school.

      "Okay." Nana answered as she buckled her seatbelt and looked back at her newly made friend standing under the tree through the rearview mirror. Actually, it was a pretty good day. She thought fondly.

      "I'm sorry for being late." Manager Joon broke off Nana's thoughts. " I got called into an unprecedented meeting and I couldn't afford to postpone it, for reasons I'm sure you're aware of."

      " It's okay." Nana replied. She was very familiar with the reasons Joon was talking about, having been raised in a family that revolved around corporations. She knew things about enterprises, megacorporations, business firms, and multinational companies that most kids, let alone adults, knew about. She felt that was what differentiated her from most kids.

     "Who was that boy you were talking to?" More importantly, putting a scarf around... "Was he a boyfriend of yours?"

    Nana gaped at him for his insinuation and immediately shook her head.

    "If he was then I wouldn't be too surprised. You're probably the prettiest and smartest girl there. I bet he has a crush on you." Joon let his parental bias take over. " But I would kill the boy if he ever asked you out in the future.." Joon mumbled that last part, but loud enough for Nana to hear.

     " If he's not a boyfriend then...." Joon thought for a moment. "..... A secret admirer?"

      Nana shook her head.

     " Stalker in the locker?"

     Nana shook her head profusely, chuckling at his words,making Joon surprised to hear her laugh. She's laughing? He thought incredulously.

      " He's just a friend." Nana simply stated. She was very unsure about Ren at first but he seemed very sweet and genuine, so she would take her chances. She wanted someone whom she could confide in and joke around with and be herself with. Not her mature, CEO daughter self, but herself. Even if in this relationship all credits would go to her last name, she would act as if everything were normal. Even if it was her own dream, she would pretend it was reality.
      "Oh, that's good. About classes..." Joon broke her train of thought. " Are you thinking of taking a performing arts class? Say... paino.. or singing?"

      Nana turned away and sighed deeply. "No. I don't want to."

      Manager Joon sighed. Nana's been acting like this ever since her parents died. More precisely, ever since the incident at the funeral home. ( chapter 3 ) Nana had stopped singing and playing paino ever since the tragedy. He knew that Nana isolating herself from her music was due to the hole her parents' death had left. The hole was far too huge and was not something you could fill so easily. And the betrayal of her dads' family and her 'friends' from school probably also impacted her a lot.

     Since those betrayals, Nana had a propensity for loneliness. She skipped a whole school year because she didn't want to be around people and worked to keep her mind off of music. It was heartbreaking for Joon to see her hurting so badly. Therefore, he wanted to get her back into music. It was apart of her life. A BIG part. Even if it took him years, he wanted her to play music again. He would wait forever until the day Nana would sing again.

     ************* Hellllaaaa loonnngggg, I know. But, what's there to complain about?

         Next day. Kansyu Elementary; Recess

       Baka! Baka! Baka! How could you lose it?! Nana thought as she got down on her knees and looked under the desks in her class, searching for any signs of the color red. I can't lose it! Nana was going hysterical as she searched every nook and cranny of Kansyu Elementarys' campus.

       The notebook that she found was missing from her backpack and assumed that she just forgot at home, was nowhere to be found at her house; and trust me when I say she looked everywhere at her house. The maids are still putting all the furniture back in their original places. Nana came to school off-kilter and couldn't focus at all during class.

       Where is it?! Nana was nearly in tears as she looked around outside of the back of the gym in front of the soccer field.  She coudln't lose it. It was the only thing linking her to her past; the past that she so wanted to forget. It was the only thing linking her to the music world; the world which she so wanted to get away from.

       Nana wiped a tear that had fallen from her eyes and tried hard not to let anymore fall. It wasn't the time or place to cry. She'll cry when she finds the notebook.

      "Hey! Why are you crying, freak-eyes?" A nasty voice called out behind her. Nana blanched and slowly turned around to see 4 kids, that looked a little older than her, walking her way. "You miss your mommy?" The boy in front sneered, causing the kids behind him to cackle maliciously. He grinned slyly. "Wait, you don't have a mommy, do you?"

       Nana flinched from his harsh words. She slowly stood up. "W-What do you want?" She asked cautiously.

       They slowly advanced towards her causing Nana to back up and trip backwards over a soccer ball on the ground.

       "We want you out of our school." A girl hissed as she crouched down beside Nana and slapped her across the face. Hard.

*******

       "Who knows the answer to this problem?" Teacher Morimoto asked her students. She scanned the classroom and her eyes landed on a boy staring out the window, clearly not paying attention. "How about you, Ren-kun?"

        Ren tore his gaze away from the window upon hearing his name. "Huh?"

       Teacher Morimoto sighed as some students snickered, making Ren turn red. Just as she was about to lecture this student for not paying attention in class, the bell for lunch rang. She sighed once again. "Have a good lunch everyone." Some students grabbed thier belongings and filed out of the room while others stayed behind to eat their lunch inside the classroom. ( Yeah, kids in Japan can do that. Even high schoolers. I'm so jellyyyyyyy. They get to sit in the air-conditioned rooms and eat while I stand outside and turn into bacon. My school is an outdoor school.)

        Saved by the bell. Ren thought as he grabbed his bag and was about to get up when a hand on his desk stopped him.

        "What's wrong with you?" Ren looked up to see his close friend, Jintan staring at him.

        " Nothing's wrong." Ren answered noncholantly.

        "Yeah there is. You weren't paying attention to Sensei when she called on you, and being the nerd you are, you would've answered her like that." Jintan snapped his fingers.

         "It's nothing, I'm just tired. Now move, I gotta go somewhere." Ren stood up and slid around Jintan.

         "Where? Aren't you going to eat lunch with me?" Jintan asked curiously.

         "If I tell you, will you stop bothering me?"

          "Yes."

         Ren sat back down as Jintan sat next to him, eager to hear Ren's 'secrets'. as he thought of them.

         Ren took a deep breath. "You know Lee, Nana, right?" Jintan nodded. " Well, we became good friends yesterday and I wanted her to eat with us today and then I could show her around the school, but I don't know where she is." Ren explained the rest of how he got to know Nana and how he felt something was wrong with her absence.

        Jintan bobbed his head up and down as he took in the information. "Now that you mention it, I haven't seen her since first period. I didn't see her during recess either."

        "Yeah, exactly. I'm gonna go look for her."

        "Okay." Jintan nodded. "I'm sure she's fine. Maybe she just likes to skip classes." He joked, remembering how she skipped first period the day before. "I can help you find her. You look on the east side of campus and I look on the west side."

        Ren nodded, standing up. "Okay, let's go." As soon as the two boys exited the classroom they went their separate ways.

 ********

         No such thing as ghosts! No such thing as ghosts! No such thing as ghosts! Nana chanted in her head as she, once again, ran down the hallway of the old classroom building. She managed to get away from the kids but not without a few bruises on her face and some rips on her uniform.

        Nana opened a door to her left and went inside. No such thing as ghosts, no such thing as ghosts! She kept reciting in her mind. Curse that boy, Ren, for telling her about ghosts and demons. She looked around the room. It looked like a music room. There was a tarp covering what looked like a piano underneath it sitting in one corner. In the other corner, there were cases for instruments like a guitar or saxophone.

        Nana felt calm for some reason, despite the painful throbbing in her left cheek and head where the upper-classmen hit her. This was the world she used to live in; the one where she belonged to. Seems like music can still make her feel peaceful. She sat down next to the covered piano and buried her head in her arms, trying to erase the insults from the bullies from her memory. Their words were cruel, cruel indeed.

  *************

       "Nana-chan!" The door to the old music room slid open and slammed against the frame, startling Nana, and scaring the hell out of some spiders.

       Nana jolted her head up to see Ren gaping at her with a distressed look as he stood out of breath at the doorway. "Kurosaki-kun..."

       Ren exhaled deeply. He was very relieved to see her alright; he thought something had happened to her. He wasn't entirely wrong. When he caught sight of the bruises on Nana's cheek and forehead and her ripped up uniform, his heart pinched for some reason. He immediately rushed to her side and examined her face."Are you okay?What happened?"

       Nana nodded and was about to reveal the whole story when a voice from one of the bullies echoed inside her head.

      No one even likes you. The only reason why people are being nice to you is because of your money and status. The voice hissed.

     Nana looked at Ren and swatted away his hand that was examining her bruised cheek. Stop pitying me! "Nothing. I just tripped and fell while playing soccer." Nana said in a monotone voice with a vacant expression.

     Ren was confused at her cold actions but imagined her cheek hurt when he touched it. Yet what he couldn't understand was her explanation of the cause of her bruises. Soccer? The fields are too wet to play soccer. And how could tripping do that much damage? Ren looked at Nana who was averting his gaze. She's lying. "Nana-chan, what really happened?"

     Nana looked at Ren blankly. More vile voices filled her head.

     You used your money to get this special treatment, didn't you? I pity you.

     Why did you come here? Was it because you weren't popular at your old school so you came to a 'commoner' school to get all the attention?

    Nana clenched her fists tightly. You're wrong! You're all wrong!

    Ren looked at her curiously. She looked really distraught for some reason. " Nana-chan, are you okay?"

   " Are you being nice to me just because I'm the daughter of CEO Lee?" Nana blurted coldly. She didn't mean to be so straightforward but it was killing her and she just had to ask.

    "W-What?" Ren tried to make sense of her frank words. "No. Why would you think that?"

     Nana swallowed the tears that were about to spill out of her eyes. This was how much her past had affected her. She sighed and broke it down for Ren. "Everyone I know always wants something in return for their fake kindness, and when they don't get it, they abandon me." Nana stared down at her cut-up hands solemnly.

     Ren felt like his heart broke into pieces. That's how she felt this whole time? "Nana-chan." He called softly, reaching out to wipe a tear that had descended from her eyes. She slowly peeked up at him.

    He smiled at her. "Do you know why I talked to you yesterday, even after you bruised my back."

     Nana shook her head , wide-eyed. I bruised his back?!

    He chuckled at her expression. " It was because of your eyes." Nana tilted her head in confusion.

     "Your eyes are really different from what you usually see in Japan; and that's good. My mom once told me that the eyes are the windows to the soul. So if your eyes are such a unique and special color, then your soul and personality must be the same,right? That's what I believed and that's why I wanted to become friends with you. I don't care about your family background. I like you because of your sweet personality not because of your labels."

     Nana felt tears stinging her ears. The sincere words that came from Ren's mouth went straight to her core. She's never known such words that could strike so deeply into her heart. Ren didn't like her for her money and status. He had no ulterior motive to their friendship.

      She was at a loss for words."Kurosaki-kun." Nana cried out loud, making Ren baffled.

    "W-Why are you crying?! Did I say something wrong?! What do I do?" Ren was going berserk as he tried to calm Nana down, who was bawling her eyes out. He felt helpless seeing her like that. He suddenly remembered something his mother used to do in order to soothe him when he was crying. He stretched out his arm and patted Nana's hair softly.

     Nana finally calmed down after a few minutes and stared at Ren as he patted her head affectionately, her cheeks turning a hint of red.

    "Are you okay now?" Ren asked, retreating his hand. Nana nodded.

    "Can you tell me what happened then?"

    Nana hesitated for a bit. However, she suddenly remebered his non-artificial words of affection and caved in. She sniffed and told him about how she was looking for something important behind the gym when a few upper-classmen surrounded her and gave her the bruises covering her now.

    Ren saw red for a moment but quickly calmed himself down. Now is not the time to get angry. He inspected Nana's face. "You sure you're okay?"

    " I'm fine" Nana wiped some blood dripping from her nose.

    Ren softened at her state and helped her wipe some blood while sitting down next to her, leaning his back against the wall. "Why were you over there? The back of the gym is where the fifth-graders hang out. What were you looking for that was so special anyway?"

     Nana turned away, a little ashamed at her actions. She made Ren worry about her. It was only fair that she justify her carless actions.

      Nana told him how she was looking for a red music book that belonged to her mother. She ended up telling him everything after that. About how she sang and played piano, but stopped after her parents died. About how she kept that music book because it was her only link to the music world. She vented it all.

    Ren was in shock."W-Wow."Wait, didn't I find a red book yesterday?

     "Yeah...." Nana sighed.

     "Nana-chan, I think I have your music book. I found it yesterday after we crashed into each other and brought it home. I could give it to you tomorrow."

      Nana smiled sheeply. "Thanks..... you didn't open it did you?" Ren shook his head. Nana sighed in relief." I don't want anyone looking at it." Nana took a second to figure out how to explain her feelings." I want it to be only mine....even if I won't sing or play piano again...."

    Ren was in deep thought now. Her story was similar to his, that it was almost unbelievable. " Nana-chan..."

    "Hm?"

    "Please don't get mad at me for saying this but.... I don't think you should give up music." Ren stated bluntly.

    Nana shook her head. " I don't think you understand how I feel...." She said calmy.

    Ren exhaled. "Actually, I kind of do." Nana looked at him in confusion.

    Guess I should tell her. Ren thought. "When I was 4, my mom died from chemo and my dad commited suicide when I was 6. He taught me how to play the guitar around the time my mom died to cheer me up but after awhile, he stopped caring..... about anything. I didn't though. I loved to get away from the rest of the world and get lost in my music. But...." Ren's eyes went hard and his body stiffened. Nana put a hand on his and he nodded at her before continuing.

    "But, when I came back home from a guitar recital at school, I found him lying on the bathroom floor. He killed himself by an overdose. After that I stopped playing guitar because I thought it was my fault until my grandparents were able to convince me it wasn't and got me to start playing again." Ren looked up at Nana." I don't want you to give up on something you love." He talked so prudently for a kid his age.

     Nana was overwhelmed with emotions now. Ren's story hit her hard. It was then that she realized how much she missed singing and risking running out of breath. She missed playing piano and stretching her fingers impossibly wide to reach all the keys. Even if music reminded her of her mother and brought pain to her heart, she couldn't seclude music from her life in the end.

     As Nana was debating with herself, Ren watched her carefully. She's like the rain. He thought. Quiet, gentle, and sad. I want to clear that storm, with the only way I know how. Ren looked around and his eyes spotted a guitar case. He stood up and strode over to the guitar case, picked it up and set it on the floor in front of Nana.

     She watched closely in bewilderment as Ren clicked the latches of the case open and pulled out an old, scratched up guitar. He closed the guitar case and set it aside, adjusting his legs to sit criss-cross in front of Nana.

     He beamed at her. "If I play, will you sing?"

     Nana unknowingly nodded her head. She was too mesmorized by him tuning the guitar professionaly.

     Ren formed the shape of G chord in his left hand and started strumming. A soft and slow melody flowed from his fingertips. He looked up at Nana as if expecting something. She looked back at him curiously before realizing she needed to sing.

     She cleared and started humming an incoherent melody that went along with the steady playing of Rens' guitar.

    He widened his eyes in disbelief at her angelic voice. For some strange reason, he believed for a second that this was how it was supposed to be; his guitar playing and her voice, together. Maybe the rain is lifting now.

   After awhile, Ren abruptly stopped, remembering that Jintan was still probably looking for Nana. Nana looked up at him curiously as he stood up and set the guitar back in its case before closing it. He held out his hand to Nana who was still sitting on the floor.

     "Huh?" Nana was confused. She wanted to keep singing ,honestly.

     "Let's take you to the nurse to get you cleaned up and then we could go eat lunch together. Afterwards, we could go take a tour of the campus,okay? Don't worry, I'll take Jintan for an extra bodyguard." Ren beamed down at her.

      "Okay..... can you teach me how to play guitar one day?" Ren was shocked for moment but then smiled brightly. "Sure."

     Nana smiled back at him and took his hand.

 

     In that moment for some reason... I felt like crying. I don't know how to explain why but...... The unexpected warmth of Rens' hand being held out to me....touched my heart deeply. 

    Nee, Ren,

      Do you remember the first time we met? I believe it was fated for us to become good friends; like we were bound together by a red thread. I figured that it's part of our destinies......

(In Japanese/chinese custom, those fated to be together are bound by a red thread)

******

OMG!!! Such a long freaking chapter!!!!! Well, now you know why I took so long to update! I've also been busy because of school... -.- Next chapter will most likely come at the end of this month, MOST LIKELY. Please remeber to upvote and subscribe!