Chapter 10

Will You?

She turned her body almost involuntarily and by doing that, her eyes finally met YiJeong’s. He was standing so near that his scent was lingering around her nose.

            “Have you eaten?” his eyes moved from hers towards the empty large-sized ceramic plate she was holding.

            “No” she replied, almost stuttering.

            “Let’s go.” Without any explanation, he helped her put the plate aside and pulled her by the hand, away from the crowd, ignoring the fact that WooBin was calling for them from his table. GaEul on the other hand immediately felt blood rushing to her cheeks as he pulled her by the hand towards a white Land Rover that was parked near his chalet.

            “Where are we going?” GaEul asked when he was opening the car’s door for her.

            “To eat” YiJeong answered simply before he shut the door.

            The rest of the journey was not accompanied by any conversation as YiJeong was busy smiling to himself and GaEul was too perplexed to say anything. She was wondering if men of the upper class really love to drag their women around like this.

            “Here” YiJeong’s announcement woke GaEul from her thoughts. She looked around her perimeter and involuntarily gaped at the view before her eyes. A pair of gold colored giant gate opened up to allow YiJeong’s car to enter an area that holds a classic, white mansion which reminded GaEul to the old British era. She was quite surprised at how such mansion could exist here in Langkawi and she couldn’t stop adoring the mansion’s beauty.

YiJeong opened the car’s door and offered his hand to her before he led her to the mansion’s tall main door. GaEul watched the door being pulled from inside while she was walking hand in hand with her boyfriend.

            “I want you to meet someone” YiJeong whispered to her while they were still pacing forward. He smiled excitedly as he had planned the meeting for quite a while but it didn’t happen for various reasons, and his palms were actually cold from the excitement. He watched the door being pulled from inside while he was walking hand in hand with his girlfriend and smiled when the figure of a very familiar woman appeared from behind the large door.

            “Eun Jae teacher.” GaEul uttered as she recognized the slim woman in blue dress standing before her. Sorrow clouds suddenly hovered over her when YiJeong greeted the pottery teacher with a hug that looked warmer than her usual morning coffee. As much as she doesn’t want to believe her eyes, she has to acknowledge the scene as a non-dream, a reality that was happening right before her eyes.

            “Hi GaEul !” EunJae greeted cheerily before she pulled GaEul into a hug. GaEul did not respond as she was busy trying to fathom the situation but she managed to flash what looked like the fakest smile she ever radiated when EunJae released her from the hug.

            What am I doing here? GaEul asked herself. The situation got her very confused and taken aback. For what reason on earth that YiJeong wanted her to meet his first love? Someone that he was emotionally attached to? Someone that had affected him so greatly?

            “Have a seat” EunJae invited as they reached the dining hall of the antique mansion. The hall was English themed with the typical white color palette and flowery details and if it wasn’t for the capricious scenario that is happening, GaEul would have spent few minutes on adoring the cute interior design of the hall.

Taking up a seat next to YiJeong, GaEul scanned the area and got her eyes fixed at the back silhouette of EunJae who was busy preparing the table, the sun sneaked in through the tall window, shining on her, making the elegant lady literally glow. To GaEul surprise, she couldn’t take her eyes off EunJae and her heart sank once again when her brain recalled the moment when YiJeong wailed on the rooftop.

 It was the only time GaEul saw the mighty SoYiJeong’s tears and she remembered how badly affected he was upon knowing that he missed EunJae’s confession of love. The sudden rush of memories unknowingly sent GaEul to a state of unwanted sadness and she tried to shake it off by letting her sight roam around the room, trying to focus her thought on the decors. Her sight moved from the ceiling to the kitchen cabinet filled with glass container with labels on them and back to the high ceiling before she decided to steal a glance at her boyfriend.

Her decision lashed back at her when her eyes met YiJeong’s who was grinning from ear to ear. Surprised, her eyes went round while she froze on her position. YiJeong on the other hand placed his elbow on the table and leaned the side of his face on his palm before he went on smiling again. Realizing how shocked she looked when she caught him staring, YiJeong mouthed a ‘what are you doing?’ sentence to get an explanation on her extremely cute behavior.

GaEul answered the question with a slight shaking of her head before she turned to look forward. Her cheeks felt warm again, and she didn’t want to embarrass herself further by letting him see her clown-resembling cheeks. Her prayer seemed to be granted right away when a deep voice echoed across the room, causing heads to turn.

GaEul’s jaw nearly dropped at the sight of the person standing few feet before her, a suave man sporting a casual grey polo shirt, his face adorned with a sweet smile. So Il Hyun! GaEul mentally shrieked. She had only been listening stories about IlHyun from WooBin and seeing him live on act seemed not really believable. He looked quite different from the picture she saw in YiJeong’s studio in which he was slightly chubbier and absolutely taller in person.

           “Ms Ga Eul?” IlHyun confidently asked, his right hand reaching out for a handshake. “Super glad to finally meet you” he said cheerily when GaEul accepted the handshake. “She’s very cute. I approve.” IlHyun nudged his little brother before he walked pass him and stopped right next to GaEul. “YiJeong is very lucky” he said, pretending to whisper to GaEul’s ear but his voice was slightly raised.

GaEul immediately blushed at the flattering words. Her mood changed so drastically from this end to the other that she even wondered if it could endanger her health. Smiling, her eyes followed the former WooSung heir who was walking towards EunJae. She then watched him kissed her cheek before he took the ceramic plates that EunJae was holding. “My turn” he winked and proceed to set the table. “Sorry guys, we should have done it before you guys arrived” He put on an adorable sorry face while placing cutleries into a wooden container on the table.

           “That’s fine hyung. I know you guys have something better to do in the morning. I’m the one who actually should be sorry for coming this early.” YiJeong smiled slyly before he casually reached for the toast bread that was placed in front of him. His comment nearly caused EunJae to choke on her coffee while GaEul was still in an analyzing mode.

She took a glance at YiJeong to make sure that he was not badly affected by his brother’s affectionate behavior towards EunJae and the results were either he didn’t care or he was just super good at acting. She continued to watch her boyfriend munching on the garlic toast before IlHyun’s voice startled her.

           “Oh, yeah. I think I have not introduced myself yet.” IlHyun sat on the chair next to EunJae. “I’m So Il Hyun, YiJeong’s big bro” He smiled. “Very, very, very nice to meet you” He added, his eyes radiated the inquisitiveness within him. No matter from what angle he tried to look, Chu Ga Eul, the petite girl sitting across him did not match any of the criteria YiJeong had for his girl. For as long as he remembered, the girls that his younger brother dated had always looked sharp, elegant, and most of them, foreign.

But Chu Ga Eul, this girl was different, very different. Without the look of a goddess, body of a model, and persona of a diplomat, the girl still managed to make YiJeong talk about her all night. Actually, it was the very first time YiJeong talked to him about his girlfriend and he was so excited about introducing the girl to him that it made IlHyun wonder if YiJeong is dating a Miss Universe.

However, meeting Chu Ga Eul in person confirmed him otherwise. There was nothing genetically superior about her and that made IlHyun extra curious about his brother’s sudden change of taste. “Want some more syrup?” he asked GaEul who was struggling with her knife while still keeping his eyes on her. Watching GaEul eating her pancakes, her cheeks blushed and her soft-looking hair falls effortlessly pass her shoulder reminded him of someone from the past, someone dear to him.

           Cha Eun Jae, the high school student.

IlHyun’s mind suddenly travelled back to the old times. Before the elegant lady that she was now, EunJae was the typical clumsy goody two shoes who wore thick glasses and pink braces. He had known EunJae almost all his life but he didn’t remember even a moment of not being in love with her. Sure, being a young boy he didn’t know how to express his unfathomable feeling.

Pulling her hair, stealing her lunch boxes, making fun of her braces; those are the things he did to get her attention. In response to his mischievousness, she had never got mad or did she even bother about his existence. The only thing that the daughter or the Cha family cared about was her exam marks and herself.

But the vexatious days eventually came to an end when his grandfather brought home one of the new museum director during 4th grade, who brought along his daughter who apparently was his lifetime crush, Cha Eun Jae. He learned that she was actually one year younger, but happened to be so clever that she has been placed in his class upon transferring from her old school in Ansan. He remembered stealing glances at her while they were on a class picnic and she looked innocently pretty eating homemade sandwich from her lunchbox.

           “When are you guys gonna make some little creatures?” YiJeong’s blatant question woke IlHyun up from his almost-day-dream.

           “What nonsense are you talking about? It hasn’t been long since we got married”

           “Without me. You guys got married without me. That still hurt, you know” YiJeong pretended a doleful face before making a very childish looking frown.

           “Married?” GaEul blurted, unknowingly.

           “Yeah.” YiJeong simply responded before turning his head towards his big brother again. I thought I’m your one and only brother” YiJeong pouted for few good seconds.

GaEul confusedly blinked as the brothers laughed at each other’s antics. Her brain experienced indigestion at the moment, so many to digest with almost no help from any digestive enzyme. Twenty minutes ago EunJae was YiJeong’s long lost first love, suddenly she’s Il Hyun’s wife, and now they even talked about kids. Things are going way too fast for her to catch up. But of course, GaEul’s attention was still on YiJeong, and he seemed absolutely fine that EunJae is now his brother’s wife.

            No, actually he looked happy. His smile looked very authentic.

However, she occasionally had random heartache that she herself could not fathom the cause. Maybe it was because she saw how he had a very hard time dealing with his feeling towards EunJae, and maybe it was because she saw how much of his tears were spilled because of her. But GaEul kept convincing her little heart to calm down, throw away the unnecessary thoughts out of her mind, and enjoy the warmth of the family moment.

The moment was one of those very little times where YiJeong’s laughs were warm and unfiltered. The way he looks at his big brother was totally different from how he glared at his father, as she could remember. He was grinning throughout the breakfast session and the fact alone blew some peace into GaEul’s mind.

**********************

           “When did they get married?” GaEul started to question as soon as they both slide into the car.

           “Last year” YiJeong replied nonchalantly before he paused and slowly turned his head towards her, his expression changed. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you” he felt guilty all over again for keeping himself disconnected while in Sweden.

           “That’s fine. I understand” GaEul dismissed his thought because she had a bigger thought swirling in her mind. “Are you okay?” she blazingly asked.

           “Me? What do you mean?” YiJeong reacted, confused and clueless of her question.

           “Eun Jae married your brother, are you going to be okay?” she asked again, her voice filled with concern. Her feelings were in flux as it went back and forth from jealousy to pure concern about his fragile heart. She kept her stare fixed on him while waiting for his reply in order to analyze his expression but she fell to a state of confusion when YiJeong suddenly burst into laughter.

           “Chu Ga Eul. You are very cute” YiJeong stated, bringing more confusion to GaEul’s mind. He smiled before he continued, “Why should I not be okay? When I have you?”

GaEul’s eyes grew rounder as she listened to his words one by one.

           “Chu Ga Eul, you are now the owner of my heart, and surprisingly I don’t even have space for another woman in my mind right now. It’s filled with the thought of you, only you.”

GaEul’s heart were going to explode as she tried to fathom his honey dipped words. She knew he was this great at talking but she somehow could not bring herself to debunk his statements because they were filling his heart with lots of cotton candy and unicorns. Instead, she froze and ran out of words to say.

           “Okay, maybe I still have space for Jeon Ji Hyun, and oh, Emma Watson.” He added as he realized that his girlfriend was turning crimson red. His hand moved to touch her rosy cheek and caressed it softly. “I love you”

It took GaEul a good few seconds to realize YiJeong’s confession of love. Wait, what? Did he just? GaEul’s cheeks gradually turned warm if not boiling as the effect of her heart beating so fast. “Pardon?” she asked just to make sure that she was not hallucinating.

           “I love you, Chu Ga Eul, I love you” YiJeong might be an expert at love but he has never felt this feeling before, even towards EunJae. She was never his type but his heart went crazy at her every action. He wanted to protect her every single second, it was an unfathomable feeling, so good sometimes it hurts.

The car felt so silent that GaEul swears she could hear her heart beat out loud. Her eyes were still fixed on his while she felt like the world was hers. He watched his face moved closer before stopping few inches before her own. “May I?” GaEul fleetingly heard he asked and she let out a small nod before she cringed for his awesomely great manner had impressed her. She slowly closed her eyes as soon as she felt his lips touching hers, her sensory nerves felt literally activated as his lips moved softly while she froze, unable to move a muscle.

Despite her immobility, his lips molded to her so easily. He held her face gently in his hands, feeling the heat from her cheeks pulsed against his palms. GaEul’s eyes fluttered when she felt his tongue brushed against her lower lips before he tugged it into his mouth and the kiss grew deeper and felt like it went on forever.

********************

           “Chu Ga Eul ! Where did you disappeared to?” JanDi who was holding a twisted potato asked as soon as she saw GaEul walking hand in hand with YiJeong out of the cable car. Apparently the F4 had promised to meet at the Sky Bridge after they finished with their private activities.

           “Breakfast” GaEul cheerily answered as she felt YiJeong released her hand to give her a moment with her best friend. She watched fleetingly as he moved his way to the F4 who were busy talking about whatever topic they were on about.

           “What kind of breakfast took so long?” JanDi asked in suspicion.

           “I’ll tell you later” GaEul replied with a grin on her face. Her heart was filled with blooming flowers and she ought to share the historical stories to her best friend.