Chapter Nine

The Rogue Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

The turnout after LuHan’s big reveal was better than we expected; almost forty students showed up to the meeting the first day, and more slowly trickled in after that.  In the week that followed, the student council arranged an entire team of hall monitors and assigned everyone to specific periods. Jongdae made laminated badges for the students to distinguish themselves from the rest.  We look like a rag-tag, incohesive team of misfits, but I’d say we’ve done an amazing job for an unofficial school disciplinary squad.

Our plan is to get the team somewhat established before presenting it to the Dean and the rest of the school board.  If they approve the idea and let us run it, out next step would be to target Kris and HwaYeon to take them down slowly, resorting to silent protest if need be.  If the board rejects us, we’ll still run as an undercover system and protest anyway.

“Good news, I think we’re ready to bring it up to the school board,” Jongdae announces confidently.

The room of student council members and hall monitors applaud and cheer in response.

The president’s face softens into a pleasant smile.  “For the last few weeks, you’ve all worked diligently to uphold the order in our school, and I couldn’t be prouder.  I know you’ve all sacrificed a lot of time and effort to be here, but our work is not finished yet. As you know, there are students who think they are above the disciplinary code because of their status or-” he grits his teeth, “-Their parents’ status in relation to the school.  If we are rejected because they feel threatened by our presence, then we will protest and fight for our right to a safe environment. And maybe,” he glances at me as he says this, “We might be able to right the wrongs that have happened because of them.”

My heart skips at the implication.  Hyerin’s expulsion will be reconsidered if we do this right.

The door slams open.  “President Sir! There’s an incident outside room 311!”

At once, the entire team of monitors rushes out the door, student council members on their heels.  I follow everyone to the scene, the sounds of yelling getting closer as we round hallway corners. Our crowd reaches a big corridor to find a tall figure on top of someone, straddling them as the monster throws punches at the pinned student.  Other students restrict onlookers from interfering with the mess.

“Stop what you’re doing right now!” Jongdae announces firmly as approaches.  Members of the student council and disciplinary team try to haul the taller student off the helpless one.

Kris Wu looks more like a crazed animal than a student when he’s pulled off.  He’s panting as angry blood rushes through him, his eyes dark as coal and his mouth twists into a scowl.  I don’t even want to see the state of the sorry person who was the target of his rage.

The groan that emits from said student makes me freeze.  Oh no.  I scramble to the injured person, kneeling down beside him.  “Minseok, are you okay?”

He can only cough in response.  His face is completely swollen, his lips are cracked and bleeding, and his eyes are bruised shut.  He looks worse than death.

Fury courses through my veins as I stand to face his tormentor.  I have a mind to actually punch him this time, my fist twitching as it clenches at my side.  I’m about to stalk over there and sock him in his face like he did to Minseok.

Jongdae comes up behind me and grips my arm calmly.  “This is no time for that.” He faces the basketball captain.  “Kris Wu, you’ve performed a violent act that will not go unpunished.  What do you have to say for yourself?”

The blond has the nerve to smirk, not bothering to fight against the group of students retraining him.  “What’re gonna do about it, huh? You think sending me to the Dean will do anything? What makes you think he’ll even punish me?”

“You shouldn’t worry about that.”  The president motions to the students holding onto him.  “Take him over, I will be there shortly. And one of you please get the school nurse immediately.”

The monster cackles as he’s being dragged away, the sound making my blood boil.  “See you on the flip side, president!”

As soon as he turns the corner, LuHan growls, “I just wanna punch his teeth in!”

“There’s no time for that,” Jongdae reminds him, pushing his glasses up his nose.  “This is our chance to get what we want and finally set him straight. We need to figure out how we’re going to persuade the Dean to drop the hammer.  We need proof of what happened.”

“President,” a feeble voice speaks from the crowd.  MinJi’s trembling figure steps out from the crowd. “I-I caught the whole thing.”  She holds out her phone to us.

Jongdae takes it from her and plays the video.

Kris is stalking down the hallway towards Minseok, who’s cowering at the sight of the giant thundering towards him.  “This is all your fault, Minseok!  None of this would’ve happened if you’d kept your mouth shut and not squealed to that like a snitch!”  The tall student grabs Minseok by his shirt collar and throws the first punch.  Minseok crumples to the floor and Kris shoves him onto the floor in the middle of the hallway before climbing on top of him despite protests from the smaller boy.  “Look at the mess you’ve made!”  He punches Minseok again.

I push the phone away from me.  “I can’t watch anymore.”

“Well, we have our proof, don’t we?” LuHan pipes up.  “But what if the Dean still doesn’t agree to do anything?”

“The nurse also needs to testify about how badly Minseok was wounded,” Jongdae explains.  “He looks terribly injured, he may need to go to the hospital. But he may still sweep it under the rug.”

“Well then,” I take a breath, “I guess we’ll have to follow in Hyerin’s footsteps then.”  When the three of them stare at me quizzically, I smirk, “We’ll have to do what she does best.”

 

“Sir, Kris Wu was seen beating Kim Minseok in the middle of the hallway during lunchtime by a number of students.”  Jongdae stands pin straight in front of the Dean’s desk, a true messenger reporting to his master. He doesn’t waver under the critical eye of the Dean.  “According to school disciplinary code, he should be suspended for a number of days depending on the severity of his violence, but seeing that this is not the first time he has done this, I believe he should be given a much stronger punishment.”

Dean Hwang is a stout, middle-aged man, always dressed in his ivory suit and red tie.  His skinny eyes peer at Jongdae from behind his small, round glasses. “I see. Where is Minseok right now?”

“He’s currently in the nurse’s room, sir.  The injuries he sustained rendered him unconscious.  He may need further medical attention judging from the amount of bruising and blood.”

Kris snorts from his chair next to Jongdae.  He’s really loving this entire ordeal. We’ll show him just how funny this situation can get.

The Dean leans forward in his chair, knitting his fingers together on the table.  “Do we know what the entire situation was?”

I raise my eyebrows.  Did he just-  “Sir, is that necessary to even ask?”

The man’s cool gaze locks on me.  “Well, Mr. Wu could have just been defending himself, or he could have been provoked.”

Is he serious?  “Sir, Kris Wu attacked Minseok unprovoked, for no rhyme or reason, our disciplinary team-”

“Disciplinary team?” he repeats, turning to Jongdae for an explanation.

Jongdae remains as calm as ever.  “For the past few weeks, the student council took the liberty to assemble a small team of hall monitors who will patrol the halls and act as people who other students can report any incidents that are against school policy.  We wanted to test it out for a few weeks before we brought an official proposal to you for approval.”

Dean Hwang narrows his eyes at the president.  “I didn’t authorize any such committee, Jongdae.  What made you think it would be okay for you to orchestrate such a thing secretively?”

Jongdae’s head bows slightly at the man’s harsh words.  “Sir, we did this for the students’ best interest. All I want is a safe environment for my classmates.”

“It’s an absolute waste of time!” he snaps.

I refuse to let him bring down Jongdae and everything he’s worked for.  “It’s a good thing we made this team, sir, or else this incident would have gone unreported and Minseok would have been even more injured.  Witnesses say Kris attacked him unprovoked, there’s no argument over what happened.  All we want is fair punishment of Kris’ actions, unlike before when he got off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.”

Dean Hwang straightens his tie and sits back in his chair.  “He doesn’t deserve such harsh punishment,” he insists simply.

My temper is wearing thin now and Kris sitting silentl

Please log in to read the full chapter