Chapter Five

The Rogue Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nothing changed after that meeting.  I still didn't see Hyerin too often, and everyone’s opinion of her remained the same.  But my opinion of her changed drastically, and it doesn't really matter to me if everyone else thinks differently.  If she isn't making a big deal out of her new villain label, then it isn't my business to interfere.

But...is it wrong that I want to continue her work?  Carry on from where she left off? Clearly, bullying can have long term effects on someone’s emotional state.  We’ve always been told that it’s our responsibility as bystanders to help victims and lend a helping hand, but does helping a victim justify violence?

A week after our meeting, my morals were put to the test.

“MinJi, how could you!”

I shut my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to unclench my fists.  HwaYeon didn't seem to have learned her lesson from Hyerin. She continued to bully other students into doing her work.  Today’s situation is a repeat of what happened to get Hyerin in trouble. This time, her victim is Park MinJi, the girl Kris had to take on a date as punishment.

“I failed my assignment because you didn't do it right!” she wails.

MinJi looks around at all the faces watching them.  “Um...okay?”

HwaYeon’s teary act suddenly contorts into a furious one.  She throws the assignment graded in red ink at the girl. “Redo it.  And you better do it right this time.”

MinJi stares at the paper before returning her gaze.  I watch her bite her lip. “...No,” she answers quietly, after a moment of hesitation.

HwaYeon raises her eyebrows and places her hands on her hips.  “Come again?”

MinJi flinches for a moment before gathering her wits again.  “No,” she repeats, more sure of herself. “I won't do it.”

HwaYeon’s face looks like someone had just smacked her - no pun intended - mouth hanging open.  “Who do you think you are? You can't say no to me!”

MinJi furrows her brows.  “Why not? You don't own me, and you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself.”

HwaYeon grabs the girl by her shirt collar and pulls her up out of her seat.  “You listen to me, nerd,” she grits out. “I don't care if you think one stupid date with Kris Wu gives you a little power, you're still a nobody compared to me.  So you do what I say.”

“Who says she has to?”

I didn't even realize that I spoke until the entire cafeteria turns their shocked faces to me.  Well, I've already dug myself this far down, might as well go all the way.  I rise up from my seat with confidence and glare at HwaYeon.  “You don't own her, she's not your slave who needs to do everything you say,” I speak firmly, keeping calm like Hyerin.  “She has her own free will and the ability to make her own decisions. What's to stop her from reporting you to the Dean for disciplinary actions against academic integrity?  You have no power over her.”

HwaYeon shoots me her most furious glare.  “Why you-”

“Yeah MinJi, stand up to her!” someone yells from the other side of the room.

“Don't let her push you around!” another girl screams.

“She just can't admit that she's not smart enough to do her own work!” Sehun joins in from next to me.

“Yeah, stupid !”

“Bossy ing !”

“Cake face!”

Soon, everyone joins in, shouting insults at HwaYeon and words of encouragement to MinJi.  I feel my heart swell as I watch the student body unite for MinJi’s sake. People were standing up to the bully and supporting the victim because I started to.  I led the charge.

HwaYeon and her group try to fight the insults, but the overpowering screams drown out their retorts.  Eventually, HwaYeon gives up and storms out of the room in a huff. The entire room cheers, patting MinJi on the back and giving me high fives.  I feel my chest lighten. Was this how Hyerin felt whenever she helped someone? This overwhelming sense of fulfillment and p

Please log in to read the full chapter