Chapter Two: Camera Obscura

Just Like This

At the Studio

"How is she doing?" Jessica inquired. She didn't need to look to know that Victoria was now standing alongside her. 

She wasn't going to lie, Jessica was just slightly nervous for Taeyeon. Not because she was skeptical towards Taeyeon's skills or that she deemed her unfit for the job. However, her new clothing line did mean a lot to her, so it was imperative that everything was going swimmingly. She wanted nothing short of the best. That was the way Jessica Jung was, despite the apathetic front that she usually put up. 

Meanwhile, Victoria flashed a crooked smile, eliciting more curiosity from her boss. Victoria saw the way Taeyeon froze in her place after meeting Tiffany Hwang. The thought of the two making eye contact and interacting for the next three hours did nothing but amuse the assistant. 

"What? Did something happen with Taeyeon?" Jessica raised her eyebrows. 

"No! Nothing, unnie. In fact, I think Taeyeon-unnie will do an exemplary job." Victoria asserted. 

"What makes you say that?" Jessica responded with yet another question. 

"I just know. Despite being called on short notice, she seems to be handling the situation professionally," Victoria replied. She opened her plan book and quickly skimmed through it. "And, you should be delighted to know that we're exactly on schedule!" Victoria raised her fist in a celebratory manner. She even went to give Jessica a zealous high five, and to her surprise, Jessica high fived her back. 

"That's awesome, Vic. I have faith in that little dork." Jessica smiled. She looked at her assistant once more, who was still half-smiling. "What about Tiff?" 

"Oh, Tiffany? She seems to be doing a good job. Perhaps too good of a job," Victoria giggled. "I have a good feeling about those two." 

"Yes, they're both good at what they do, they'll work well together."

"That's not what I meant, unnie." Victoria grinned cheekily. Jessica rolled her eyes. "Wanna bet?" 

Jessica, betting on your friends's love lives is wrong. 

Jessica shrugged. "Yeah, why not." 

They don't have to know, hehe. 

~~~~~~~~~

Click, click. Flash. Repeat. 

To say that Taeyeon had been keeping her cool would be more or less accurate. She may have stuttered and pressed the wrong button once or twice, but that was it. However, to say that Taeyeon had easily been maintaining her aloof facade was just plainly a lie. Staying unfazed was harder than actually taking the pictures. 

See, this is why Taeyeon chose landscape photography as her hobby.

Sunsets didn't have intense, sultry eyes that wordlessly beckoned the camera she was manning. Fields of flowers didn't have curvaceous figures that she constantly had to capture in this photo shoot. Harmless squirrels and parks didn't have such full, enticing lips. Tranquil ponds couldn't accelerate her heartbeat like this freaking Tiffany Hwang could. She inwardly cursed herself for perhaps the hundredth time since the start of the photo shoot. 

Now, Taeyeon was starting to believe that Tiffany enjoyed making her squirm behind the camera, and frankly, she decided to have none of it. 

No, Jessica's depending on you to do a good job. Do not get distracted. Do not disappoint Jessica. 

Show Tiffany who's boss. Show this overconfident, seductive Tiffany that you know what you're doing.

Get her number. Wait, what? Taeyeon, no! 

"You all right, miss photographer?" Tiffany tilted her head, smirking with hints of smugness. Her eyes were curious. It brought Taeyeon brought back to reality.

From the start, there was something about this shorter, enigmatic and callous-looking woman that intrigued Tiffany, something exclusive to only her and no other photographer she's experienced. Tiffany couldn't quite put her finger on it, and she didn't even know whether or not she liked or disliked her yet. Hell, she didn't even know her name. She made a mental note to find out both things. 

She seemed to be preoccupying herself by staying too focused, but on what? It was cute, for one. Too bad she didn't look interested in her. Yet. 

She wanted to crack her, even just a little bit. 

"I am fine." No, you're so fine. Taeyeon looked into the viewfinder and snapped another shot after the makeup team adjusted a few minor nuances. They also fixed her tousled chestnut hair. While waiting, she took a moment to breathe. She would rather not hear her name being said by Tiffany. Soon, the team stepped aside, Taeyeon's cue to continue taking shots. 

"Tell me something, do you find me attractive?" Tiffany outrightly questioned, before subtly biting her lower lip. Her tone sounded as though she already knew the answer. Taeyeon froze for a moment, the gears in her head turning faster and faster. 

I know what she's trying to do. She's smug, pompous. I don't like smug.

What's the big deal about her, anyway? I mean, besides her flattering behind. 

Taeyeon, I swear to God!

Out of nowhere, Taeyeon abruptly took her eye off of the viewfinder and straightened up. Suddenly, she walked from behind the camera to the front of the backdrop, where Tiffany was standing. Her steps were deliberate, her eyes were determined.

This surprised Tiffany, for it was the first thing Taeyeon initiated between the two of them. All she had done for the past hour was avoid eye contact and give instructions to Tiffany. This time, she was looking straight at her, only a few inches separating their faces. Tiffany held her breath, as if she was expecting to be kissed. Strangely enough, she wouldn't have minded. 

Don't be ridiculous, Tiffany. 

Taeyeon was, indeed, attractive to Tiffany. It was almost as though she should have been the one in front of the camera lens instead of behind. She wondered if people told her that. 

"Tilt your head to the right just a bit for me. Look less austere, and a little more dazed." Taeyeon curtly said, her lips forming a straight line. Taeyeon gently adjusted Tiffany's position with her hand, and brushed away a few stray strands of hair away from her face.

Tiffany gulped, unsure if the pumping in her chest was the electronic dance music in the background or her actual heartbeat. Perhaps it was both. She definitely wasn't as good as appearing unaffected as Taeyeon was, and oh, Taeyeon noticed. Now, it was Taeyeon's turn to smirk. She resumed her position behind the camera and snapped the shot. 

"Perfect." 

Two can play at this game, Tiffany Hwang. I won't be played with that easily. 

One hour down, two to go. 

~~~~~~

"That's a wrap! Thank you everyone! You all worked hard!" Jessica announced at the center of the studio, and sonorous cheers promptly filled the room. 

Everything went according to plan, everything was successful. Everything that Jessica had put her efforts in for the past year had finally paid off. She gleamed with pride. 

"Yah! And don't you dare forget to come to the launch party next week! You better all come!" Victoria followed up, and the cheers seemed to have doubled in terms of boisterousness. Jessica laughed, hugging Victoria. 

Meanwhile, after heaving the biggest sigh of relief, Taeyeon smiled brightly. She vigorously bowed to everyone she saw, thanking them, and looking comical in the process. She believed she did a good job. 

And most of all, she wouldn't have to see Tiffany for while.  

Damn her and her perfect eyes. 

She packed up her camera and put on her blazer after taking the memory card out. Suddenly, she found herself encased in a bone-crushing hug. 

"Kim Taeyeon! You. Are. The. Best!" Jessica exclaimed into Taeyeon's hair. Taeyeon laughed, but if she didn't stop Jessica, she would have turned purple. 

"Yah, I can't breathe!" Taeyeon laughed, hugging Jessica back. Soon, they released each other. 

"Seriously, Taeyeon-ah. Thank you," Jessica reiterated. They noticed the studio getting emptier and emptier. 

"It's no problem, but don't forget that you owe me a huge solid for this!" Taeyeon smirked. "Oh, and before I forget, here's the memory card. Give it to the guy who was supposed to come here," Taeyeon handed her the memory card. 

"All right. Oh, and come to the party, will you?" Jessica requested. 

"You know those are not my thing. Besides, I'm not a real fashion photographer, remember?" Taeyeon reasoned, although there was a little voice at the back of her head telling her that it might not be a bad idea. 

"Oh, shut up. As if studying biology and physics all alone in your apartment is any better!" Jessica punched Taeyeon's shoulder whimsically. "And this photo shoot couldn't have happened without you. Besides, my friend Tiffany will be there," Jessica smiled slyly. Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

All the more reason not to go. 

But you know you want to. 

No, I do not. Be quiet,Taeyeon. 

Ah, screw it. 

"I'll think about it," Taeyeon finally said. Jessica squealed in response. 

"So, you're going? Thank you, Taengoo~" Sica pinched her counterpart's cheek, much to Taeyeon's chagrin. "Hey, I have to go, I still have to take care of some things before I leave. Take it easy, shorty." Jessica grinned, ruffling Taeyeon's hair before walking away with Victoria. 

Taeyeon sighed, putting her glasses back on and shouldering her camera bag. 

She was about to take a step when she heard a voice. A familiar, husky voice. 

Are you seriously kidding me right now?

"You never answered my question, Kim Taeyeon," Tiffany said, smiling. Taeyeon turned around, and felt her breath get hitched in all over again. Her smile was different than the arrogant ones she saw through the lens. This one was genuine, her eyes were perfect crescents. 

"I-I didn't feel obligated to answer your question. And how'd you know my name?" Taeyeon evaded her question once again, keeping her expression as guarded as it previously was. 

"Heard Jessie say it just a few seconds ago. It's a nice name, it fits you," Tiffany said, getting in closer proximity to Taeyeon.

"Thank you." Taeyeon replied curtly. She instinctively stepped back when Tiffany neared. Their little contact a few hours ago was more than enough for Taeyeon.  

"Did I offend you?" Tiffany asked. There it was again, the lilt in her voice that Taeyeon couldn't read. 

"No. Now, if you'll excuse me, Tiffany," Taeyeon dismissed. She didn't want to be rude, but if she didn't leave Tiffany's presence soon, she would implode. 

"Of course, I won't keep you any longer, miss photographer." Tiffany said. Without another word, Taeyeon turned around and walked at a gradually faster pace to the closest door.

She couldn't handle Tiffany anymore. She couldn't handle the mental debates ensuing within her head. She wanted to dislike her, no, she did dislike her! Taeyeon disliked the way she was playing with her, her smugness... but another part of Taeyeon highly enjoyed it. This wasn't what she signed up for. 

"Taeyeon, you're going the wrong way," 

Tiffany giggled, before following her manager's lead out of the building. 

I will make you like me, Taeyeon. 

~~~~~~~~~

A Few Hours Later

After the longest day, Tiffany was finally in the comfort of her own bed. However, no matter how tired and vertiginous she was feeling, she couldn't bring herself to close her eyes. Not yet.

As much as she didn't want to admit it, Tiffany was unable to keep the little photographer off of her mind. 

Sure, she was sort of stand-offish at first, but she was passionate. She was interesting, unpredictable. She remembered the way Taeyeon looked at her and shivered. 

She mulled an idea over and over in her head before deciding to finally go through with it. 

She picked up her phone on her nightstand and typed away. 

Jessie, tell me about that Kim Taeyeon.

She pressed send. 


A/N: Were you expecting an update? Tada! Here is the update! I couldn't keep you all waiting for too long. I apologize for the crappy update, I wrote it at 2 am ><

But, I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone! My gosh, I wasn't expecting such an influx in subscribers. I don't know why you guys are liking this messy story, but you've been giving it a lot of love and I am so grateful! Thank you! :D

What'd y'all think?

-Sare