Because You're Always Worth It.

We'll Make It Work.

The sights were absolutely breath taking to say the least. The day after Christmas, after two grueling days of dinners with Chanyeol’s family, Baekhyun’s family, and then with the ten idiots they call their friends, they flew all the way to New York. Ditching the crowded streets, they opted to just watch from their hotel balcony. It was more intimate and private that way.

“Have you thought of your New Year resolutions?” Chanyeol says as he wraps is arms tighter around his little husband, nuzzling his nose against him.

Baekhyun does nothing but hums in response before taking another swig of his tea, lemon tea, as he looks at all the pretty lights and the happy people. “Just a bit.”

Looking back at this year there’s no denying that this year was quite a rollercoaster for the both of them. They’ve fought through moving to a new home, about forty five minutes from the close-knit neighborhood they and all their friends have grown up in, due to Chanyeol’s job promotion.

The last box Baekhyun was holding was set down with a bang as he rubs his sore arms and stretched. As much as he loved the new loft the company had paid for as well as the nice open big city, but a large part of him missed everyone back home.

He sits on the floor and looks around. Maybe this’ll be great, huh? A fresh start, a chance to make change in his lifestyle, meet new people and make new friends.

“Home sweet home, huh Baek?”He spots his husband, Chanyeol, come in with three more boxes, his dress shirt sleeves rolled up, sweat falling from his forehead. Baek must admit, seeing him like this was pretty attractive.

“Yeah. Home sweet home.” And seeing said tall husband smile the smile that always, without fail, knocked him out as he wiped the sweat away with the back of his hand. That smile was enough to give him the motivation to make this work.

And Baekhyun believed it; they’ll make it work.

And for a while, it did. Baekhyun started teaching a local school, and every evening he’d come home, he’d get started on the dinner they were going to eat together when Chanyeol got home. And if he had some free time, he’d help Baekhyun grade some test papers before they got ready for bed.

But slowly, the hours Chanyeol put in for work grew larger and the hours they were able spend together got shorter. Baekhyun got it, he had big people, people higher up on the corporate ladder, to impress. And he tried to be understanding, but with every night he had to spend alone as Chanyeol decided to spend another night in the office, started to take a toll.

Chanyeol came home at three in the morning this time. Throwing his tie on the floor and changing into his sleeping clothes, choosing to skip the shower altogether, he climbed into bed.

“Yeolie?” A mumble was heard from the other side of the bed.

“Yeah, babe.”

Baekhyun turned over to look at his husband, and even in the dark, he could tell how tired Chanyeol was. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, babe. Let’s just get some rest.” And that’s all he heard from his giant as he turned over and tried to fall asleep, backs facing each other.

It got to the point where even when they were both home, it felt cold and empty. Baekhyun grading his mountain of papers on the kitchen table and Chanyeol working from his computer on the living room coffee table.

It had been the fourth night in a row that Chanyeol came home late. Baekhyun had given up trying to stay up and wait for him because the lack of sleep was starting to affect his work. He wakes up at 6:30 am everyday not knowing whether or not he might find his Chanyeol next to him, but if he does, he gives him a kiss and wishing him a good day, careful not to wake him up as he walks to the bathroom.

But sometimes Chanyeol does in fact wake up, and he has to try not to listen to his small husband’s cries on the other side of the door.

It got Baekhyun wondering if Chanyeol still loved him. Anniversaries were always a special day for them, a time where they always put everything aside just for a night. They’d had already spent so many anniversaries together; six while they were dating and three more as a married couple, so they never made it big or fancy anymore. It was just enough to have take out and watch a movie together.

But that year, the only one, Chanyeol vowed later on, it was as if their anniversary didn’t exist.

Baekhyun had shot awake again and turned to see Chanyeol sleeping soundly. He had eaten dinner alone, watched the movie he had planned for them to watch together by himself, the small cake he had bought left forgotten in the fridge.

He hurried to wipe away the tears that were starting to fall from his face as he got up, ready to start another day of teaching. Leaning over to kiss his husband in the cheek.

“..H-happy Anniversary Chanyeol..”

Chanyeol tried to ignore the guilt pounding in his chest.

They had to hit rock bottom before things could get better. At the time, Baekhyun didn’t know how far they were away from that, but a week after their forgotten anniversary, they found out.

Chanyeol had managed to leave earlier than usual from work that day. He didn’t expect to see suitcases packed when he got home.

“B-baek?”

And as if on cue, Baekhyun steps out of their “shared” bedroom with a bag full of clothes.

“Baekhyun, whats going on?” Chanyeol asks, scared, tentatively walking towards him.

“I…I can’t do this anymore, Chanyeol. What’s the use of being together here if I’m just going to be lonely all the time? Let’s just end it.” Tears that Baekhyun told himself would not come out were falling from his eyes.

And Chanyeol ran to him. “Don’t do this. We can make this work! Things can change!”

“How, Yeol? I got to bed almost every night alone and miserable. And even when I do see you in the morning, it doesn’t make me less lonely! Do you even love me anymore?”

“I do! I do, Baek, I love you.” Chanyeol places both his hands on Baekhyun’s cheeks, pulling him close, and kisses him; a kiss so deep with emotion and feeling, and he hoped that his kiss could show Baekhyun more than words ever could. “Don’t leave me Baek. Give me another chance, we can make this work. So stay with me Baek, don’t leave me.” The words leaving his mouth came out as hushed whispers, desperate, worried.

Baekhyun looked up at him, eyes searching for any sign of deception. But all he saw was deep brown eyes, filled with the love he’d be missing for so long along with a small glint of hope. That small glint that gave Baekhyun that push to try one more time. For them.

“We can make this work?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yes babe,” Chanyeol replies as he pulls him in for another kiss. “We can make this work. I love you Baekhyun.” His thumbs wiping away the tears that had fallen from his husband’s face.

Three words. The words that Baekhyun had been dying to hear for months. Three words that was just enough to make Baekhyun believe it again. Believe in them again.

“I love you too, Chanyeol.”

It was definitely a hard year. But the new year would give them the opportunity to start over again, make things better; fix the cracks and mend the pieces, Baekhyun thought.

His thoughts were interrupted as Chanyeol turned him around and press their foreheads together. “I know what mine are.”

“Hm?”

“I will love you more, better. I know it won’t be easy with my work schedule, but I’ll try to make any time I can to be with you. And on the days we can’t be together, I’ll try to make sure you don’t go to bed feeling alone, even if it has to be through the phone. I don’t want you ever doubting my love for you again. And you want to know why? Because we’re going to make this work. Because you’re always worth it. Because you’re everything to me, ok?”

And Baekhyun speechless, could do nothing but nod; his cheeks slowly turning pink.

“Good.”

Their attention shifted briefly towards the loud cheering from the streets before turning back to each other.

Foreheads pressed together, Baekhyun whispered, “Five….four…three…two…”

“One.” Chanyeol finishes before giving Baekhyun a deep kiss. “Happy New Year, Baek.”

“Happy New Year, Yeol.”

 

 

 

Authors Note: I hope you guys enjoyed and that you have a lovely and prosperous New Years and a better 2014. Because let's just admit it, 2013 was absolutely crazy and messed up. So. Have a good 2014 guys!