slipping by his fingers

Mortal Guardian

Changjo sighed at the same old page of manhwa, he was reading. It seemed as if it was stuck on one page ever since his eyes were laid on Changhyun, who was silently staring into the black skies.

 

The way the breeze was teasing the latter’s fluffy hair and how Changhyun’s lips scrunched at the disturbance made the latter smile. Innocence, purity and beauty were vividly pictured in front of his two eyes and that made his heart race, strangely in a peaceful way.

 

First love was something he believed light and cute, but these feelings he had for the red headed latter was too deep, too distinct and rather heavy. It was as if he was content just by the sight of Changhyun, because he knew that somehow the boy was staring into could effortlessly disappear and he wouldn’t be able to cope.

How could he when everything made perfect sense, only when Changhyun was by his side. He was comfortable in his own skin, no pressure, no such anxieties.

 

“Ricky-ya… can you come here?” the tall latter called Changhyun gently, placing the comic aside and opening his wide arms. His eyes sparkling with delights as he watched Changhyun walking closer and his lips carved a blissful smile. Replying it with a warm gaze, the latter sat on top of Changjo’s lap, resting his head on the latter’s chest. Admiring how fast the black haired boy’s heart was beating and how loud it was near his ears.

“hmm… are you nervous Jonghyun-ah?” Changhyun teased the latter as he trailed his fingers all over the boy’s neck, savoring how smooth it was against his own skin. “No… maybe… but it’s okay. I like this…” grabbing Changhyun’s small, cute hands, Changjo brought it to his lips and lightly pecked on them.

 

 

Smiling, Changhyun’s cheeks effortlessly turned light pink as he squeezed his free hands behind the tall boy’s stern back, hugging Changjo tight and breathing in the light scent of the boy.

“I’ll never let you go, understand? Yoo Changhyun, you... your fate, it’s me.”

“I know… I’m glad. I love you, you big, stubborn bear”

 

 

Both of them forgot, how beautiful the black skies was but when they were with each other it seemed like the dark night gleamed beautifully and time was the least of their concerns. The air became so light; they were floating and each touch and breathe never felt so easy.

Love made them invincible, immortal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Changjo smiled wide the moment he opened the door, quietly dropping the groceries down to the floor as he watches Changhyun scrambling over his clothes, trying to find one that could fit the latter’s petite figure. Days passed, hours flew by and they never left the basement as they abandoned everything back home and brought only themselves and their love.

 

“How’s the shirt hunt going” the latter chuckled as he places the bread inside the fridge, eyes still looking over to Changhyun. “It’s not funny” the cute boy sulked as he deliberately slammed the drawer. “You can just… not wear anything ya’know” Changjo leered devilishly as he walked away from the countertop.

“”

Laughing the tall latter sat mindlessly on the couch as he the aged television and pumped the volume. “Well since we’re both boys… lets be natural”

 

“yeah right… I need to go home Jonghyun. I need my clothes”

 

“And we’ve been skipping too many classes, plus! That 400 miscalls, are you really going to ignore your family like that?!” the latter yammered for a good half an hour on how irresponsible Changjo had been towards his family and how he should treat things better.

 

 

Changjo sighed deep, as he finally spoke up.

 

 

“I can’t bring you back home and I can’t go back too. It’s risky and considering that we planned on running away, shouldn’t you stop caring about school? Do you realize what we’re doing right now, Yoo Changhyun?”

 

The shorter paused, eyes frozen as he tried hard to make sense of what Changjo had said.

“run away…”

 

 

“Didn’t you agree on this? Or is it that you have no idea what we’re doing right now… Ricky.”

“I can send you home… I can. Do you want to go home, Changhyun?”

The floor was frozen and the air was suddenly suffocating his lungs, as Changjo waited for an answer. He knew that the plan was short lived, reality was creeping closer and time was slipping by his fingers. Running away was harder than what he thought.

 

“Let’s go home…”

 

The thorny lumps inside his chest exploded as the boy grunted painfully, he wanted to cry. Changjo’s red fist was trembling as he faked a subtle grin and held his breath, anymore of the poisonous atmosphere and he could really just go mad.

“okay”

 

 

“Send me home and help me pack my stuff. I need a lot of things if we want to live here and considering that you could survive with just a two year old kimchee in your rusty fridge, I need to bank out some money too.”

Brightly, Changhyun smiled as he walked closer to the latter, grabbing Changjo’s hand, nice and tight. The shorter looked up to Changjo’s grumpy face and giggled as he moved closer and pecked the latter sweetly. “I did agree to this, dummy”

“Let’s run-away, Jongie”

 

 

Flustered, the buff latter pulled Changhyun into a neck lock as he roughly drilled the boy’s skull with his fist and screamed, “DAMNIT YOO CHANG”

“STOP, ARK… ARGHH YAH YOU IDIOT!! YOU’RE HURTING MY HEAD, YOU . STOOOOOOOPP”

Every setbacks and obstacles were behind them as they laughed the night away, ignorantly disregarded. But the dangers were growing stronger and everything could crumble by a single mistake. They knew that, still, it was far from their thoughts. All that made sense was how they were together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Aren’t you gonna search for Ricky? It’s been two straight weeks since he came home”

Hyunseung glared at the emotionless angel. Chunji never seemed so calm and that made the demon’s guts uneasy. Hyuna was already on search frenzy as she tried her best to track the missing child down. She loved him enough to call him, her own.

 

 

“He’s with that half-blood, he’ll be alright” Chunji mumbled as he spreads the maps on the ruby lined table, scanning each one with his sharp, analytic eyes.

 

“You used to go rampage whenever Ricky’s late for his curfew, but what type of is this?! Aren’t you worried, what if that kid never return?!!” Chunji looked too uninterested and such behavior was quickly climbing into the demon’s nerves. The red eyed slammed the glass table as he made himself clear, that he was not pleased. At all.

“I have things more important than that child right now. Byunghun… I need to focus on Ljoe alright. Hyuna is already searching for him right? So be it, I need you Hyunseung.”

“Help me find this witch”

 

 

“FINE! She’s here!” screaming the demon banged on a map as it scorched black and traces of flame were staining the ancient paper. Satisfied, Chunji smirked as he lifts up the paper and looked carefully at the burn spot. “Brilliant”

 

“He’s back…” the air was burning hot and Hyunseung’s eyes turned so red it was deep and bloody. Chunji’s behavior reminded him of way back when Ljoe first got hurt. The angel was fanatical.

“We’ll meet her tonight, and you’re going with me. Understand?”

 

“Don’t boss me around if you want my help, Lee. Bear in mind, I’m no better than any other demons.”

 

Chunji’s silent snicker somehow made it to the demon’s keen ears and as Hyunseung snarled louder. The entire time all he could see was the possibilities he’d have if he found her. Nothing was on his mind except the resurrection of his lover.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wow, Yoo Chang… that is some dough you got” the tall latter bit his lips as he tried hard not to gawk at the amount of money displayed on the ATM. Smirking, Changhyun simply took out his cash and stuffed it mindlessly in his wallet.

 

 

“This, brother, is the result of six continuous part time jobs.”

“So I got myself a sugar daddy huh… nice”

 

 

The shorter squints his eyes as he punched Changjo right in the guts, making the latter squelched in pain. Growling, he then bit his lips and tried to pull the shorter back, but interestingly, his long limbs couldn’t reach Changhyun.

Changhyun wide, naughty grin made Changjo scoffed in flusters as he held out his hand and darkening his gaze into a threatening scowl.

 

 

“Wow for a midget, you’re pretty strong”

“And for a bloody bear, you’re pretty weak”

 

He meant the words as a joke, but sadly it came out sharper than what he hoped, making him choke on mere air and slowly his gaze turned rather apologetic. Changjo saw right through those dark almond colored eyes as he helped himself up and smiled, gently.

 

 

“It’s okay; I’m not that dumb ya’know. I know it’s a joke”

“Yeah… Jonghyun”

“Um”

“You’re the bravest, strongest person I’ve ever met so… I’m glad that you’re.. this warm.”

“Thank you”