escape

Mortal Guardian

Hyunseung grabbed lock of chunji’s arm, looking straight into the angel’s glistening eyes. With his strength he pulled the younger down to a chair, sitting him silently as he went and locked the door. Hyuna in the other hand slid closer to chunji, heels on his lap as she restrained his retaliation.

 

 

“stay. Don’t do this okay, he’s fine chanhee.”

 “And im pretty darn sure he wouldn’t be if you go out pursuing him with this temper”

 

 

Relaxing his jaw, slowly chanhee’s brooding eyes calmed by hyungseung’s persuasion. The demon was right, but it didn’t mean that it was okay to sit still while chanhyun was not yet home.

 

“fine! But if he’s not home by midnight, im out of this bloody chair”

 

 

 

 

“ah… I wasn’t expecting that one. Thanks..”

The hot tea made their heart at ease, sipping it slowly changjo’s face was slowly getting brighter as the sun set lower, knowing that changhyun was securely beside him. Ricky giggled at his friend’s answer, knowing that there was finally no one to stop him from feeling happy.

 

For once, the scent of the sea, the bone chilling breeze and the warm quiet boy beside him made the air light enough for him to breathe and smile. For that moment ricky was alive.

 

“thank you… jonghyun…. For taking me here”

“hmmm well how nice, you’re finally thanking me….”

“your kidnapper”

 

 

Changjo grinned at him, eyes lit up like the stars as they watched the sky slowly blackens. Hints of lights in the sky were slowly alighting too, making them feel like it was a magic show, how breathtaking this heavy world is sometimes.

 

 

“are you hungry?”

“come on, there’s something even better than this. Come”

 

 

Changjo stood up and started to sprint, running into a thick forest. Usually these types of places made ricky’s mind scream with anxieties but somehow knowing that changjo was the one beside him, he didn’t mind the dark, dangerous woods anymore.

 

 

Passing through the dense vegetation, something caught ricky’s curious eyes. Something was shining faintly behind these large trees. It made him froze, the sight was enchantingly delightful.

 

 

Changjo grabbed his hands and pulled him slowly out of the forest, revealing the sparkly funfair. Filled with flickering lights and laughter, it was a place he had never been before.

 

 

“its.. a funfair..”

“yup! Here, take this and this and these. Okay which one should we ride first”

 

 

Changjo handed ricky so many things at the same moment, the smaller boy could barely hold on to his hot dog and drinks. A handful of coupons were already inside his pocket as in his left hand was soft fluffy cotton candy and a small disposable camera hung on his neck.

 

Laughing, the black haired boy took out his smartphone and snapped a few shots as ricky grunted, running from the lense. But in amongst all those flat faced picture, one came out with this gentle, heartfelt smile.

 

 

“ferriswheel!”

 

 

Changhyun whined the sixtieth time, grabbing changjo’s sleeve freezing himself to stop the larger boy from dragging him inside a ghost house. Annoyed, the blue eyed boy turned around and slightly glared at ricky when suddenly his lips transformed into this pout and his warm hand was suddenly wrapped around changhyun’s finger.

 

 

“last one.. please?”

 

He realized how childish they had been, fighting over rides and eating sweets, so like the mature boy he is ricky simply locked arms with the taller lad and pulled him inside. But before they could enter the eerie trail, jonghyun had place changhyun behind him. Signaling the boy to stay close and hang on to him when it gets too frightening.

But changjo was clueless, the monsters inside were just child play to what ricky have seen.

 

 

“what what what !! GET LOST YOU FREAKS!”

“AISHH THIS STUPID DUMMY”

“bet you scared me huh, NUH UH!! YOU ARE LAAAAAMEE~~~”

 

 

At first changhyun planed on acting surprised but seeing how focus the other lad was with scolding the ghost, he just sat back and enjoyed the humorous view. One by one, monsters were chewed out from his temper as changjo kept threatening them with insults.

 

 

“are you alright?”

“ugh that was a scary one huh”

“hahaha, nope. Not scary at all, how can I be scared if you practically scolded away all of the monsters for me”

 

 

Ricky chuckled as he tossed changjo’s smartphone into the lad’s hands. Pictures of him in wrath, face to face with warewolves and vampires it was amazing how he had looked even more vicious than they were.

 

 

“finally…”

A gust of steam went out as changhyun exhaled, the air was no longer cold instead it was warm. Rather welcoming actually of his presence as he stared silent at the big rotating wheels.

 

 

 

“first time seeing it?”

“no, I’ve seen it before. I solved a jigsaw puzzle once and this wheel…”

“looked exactly like it….. “

 

 

Inviting. He had always wanted to know how flying felt like, how his two angels once felt. This Ferris wheel was too damn far from what they had experienced but at least it was off the ground, at least it was escaping the gravity. When ricky was finally inside, his motions stopped as his face turned to sky. Absorbing that moment where he was finally free, even when it was temporary.

 

 

“hey… i know this is personal but… who is he?”

“who, chunji? He told you didn’t he… he’s my guardian..”

“I see… I thought he was like your brother. Where’s… your parents changhyun-ah”

“died”

“how bout you? Who was that weird y woman who tore you shirt off”

erghmm, her? She’s …. My..gra….auntie. yeah, like this long relative autie”

 

 

Still looking outside ricky snickered listening to jonghyun’s stutters. He knew that it wasn’t true but it was fine, because that wasn’t something he needed to know. Just like how there were things changjo could never find out too, this distance was a distance safe from chunji’s harm.

And he’d keep it that way.

 

 

“lets… stop talking now jonghyun.”