open book

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Korea National university of Arts
Seokgwan-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul
Friday 23rd October
12:12PM

By the time lunch had arrived Sunyoung did not hear another peep from the new guy. It was unusual the way this new student had wandered into the dance studio, how students followed him around like he was a celebrity.
He certainly looked it, the charms, the style from what Sunyoung saw he was the ideal type for any girl, boyfriend material.

‘Focus Sunny, you just broke up with L.Joe.’

The soft trickle sound of water that dripped from the tap was bothersome, washing her face to freshen up her oval features Sunny inhaled deeply staring at her reflection in the mirror of the girls toilets, such a sullen expression that covered her visage. Plucking out the bobby pins and scrunchie from her chocolate-brown locks, they cascaded down her shoulders, flicking at the ends. Ruffling out her curls she inhaled again flashing herself a fake smile before making an exit.

Grabbing her lunch from the school’s cafeteria she heads to her usual eating location where her group of friends are already eating. A small pond and tiny fountain located near the rear side of the music building and dance hall outside. A little cobble stone pathway under a mini gazebo, the playing field in full view from the lunch bench Sunyoung was now walking towards.

“Sunny, come here!”

Sunyoung smiles brightly seeing her small group of close friends Krystal, Lisa, Jennie and Rose happily munching on their food. Her best friend Krystal patting an empty spot beside her as she waved the dancer over. Gentle water sounds from the fountain filled her ears as she skips closer to her friends, mix sounds of quiet chatter amongst the four girls.

“Have you seen him?!”

“Who?” Sunny questions a frown on her face sliding beside Krystal on the bench.

“The new student, Lee Taemin?”

Jennie squeals loudly, the squeal she usually kept for those thrilling moments. Sunyoung places her brown paper lunch bag on the lunch table almost tempted to run the opposite direction when she hears they’re talking about the new student. Sunny rolls her eyes, her friends were always thirsty for new students, new boys to get their sticky fingers on and now their wish had come true.

“I had a brief encounter with him this morning.”

Sunyoung hums pulling out her blueberries and eating one not really in the mood for anything more from her lunch. Rose scrunches up her nose flicking a piece of salad in her bowl with her fork suddenly reaching over the table to steal a piece of candy from the top of Lisa’s pre-Halloween cupcake.

“What happened?” Sunny hums watching her friends lean in prompting her to scoot further away from them.

“Eh, he just happened to pass by the dance studio, nothing big. He was dragged away by one of the choreography teachers.” Sunny in her lower lip trying to avoid any more unwanted attention on the subject.

“He’s cute.” They all nod in unison continuing to eat their lunch in silence.

Sunyoung sighed softly watching her friends chat amongst themselves, she wasn’t avoiding the conversation it was just her mind drifting to the beautiful boy from this morning. The alluring glistening in his eyes, his devilish smirk and his tousled black locks that made Sunyoung’s heartbeat rapidly. He truly was a sight to behold, any girl would be lucky to be by his side, to even know him.

Surely, he would be known now as Mr. Popular.

Sunyoung was never clever when it came to the opposite , of course she had an easy time befriending guys, but when it came down to the romantic aspect of any relationships she had with a male it always crashed and burn, a perfect example would be her recent break up with L.Joe, the jock at Seoul National University majoring in sports.

Envious of her friends who could easily flirt and date guys, a trait Sunyoung failed to possess. The only male she could talk to whole-heartly was Minho. The only male figure she could be herself around without embarrassing herself, and of course there was Jonghyun, Krystal’s boyfriend.

“Hello? Sunny?” Krystal elbowed the dancer in the rib gently.

“Huh?”

“I said what happened last night with you and L.Joe’s date? I heard from Jonghyun it ended badly.”

The table fell silent as all eyes were on the ballet dancer, suddenly her palms felt sweaty as she tried to come up with a viable excuse to make the situation look less bad.

“Oh, I rather not talk about it. We broke up if that’s the scoop you wanted for your social media blogs or whatever…”

Sunny lowered her head feeling betrayed by her ex-boyfriend who had taken advantage of her for this long. Jennie snickered which resulted in an elbow to her rib from Lisa. “Shut up!”

Reaching for her water bottle unscrewed the lid before taking a small sip.

“Hey! Watch out!!”

Before anyone could react to the sudden shouting coming from across the field everything turned into a blur. Jennie and Lisa screamed dramatically ducking their heads, Krystal and Rose hugged themselves, seeing the soccer ball fly over their heads before landing in the pond behind them with a tiny splash.

Sunny turned her head to the direction of the voice, her hands turning even more sweaty.
It was him, Taemin who’s gaze was on her— heavy and warm, inviting but concerned. Sunyoung whimpers her bottle slipping from her grasp waiting for the back splash.
But before it could hit the floor, she sees a hand, Taemin had caught it and returned it back to her. Sunyoung felt a lump form in avoiding looking at him but simply stares at the water bottle in silence.

“Hey, watch where you kick that thing— oh!” Jennie scrambled to fix her error, straightening herself until she saw the culprit.
Her face softened.

“You good?”

A soothing voice of velvet questioned as he straightened his posture having  returned the water bottle back to Sunyoung. Sunny wondered how he had moved so fast he actually blurred but ignored the fact she might have been the only one who noticed.

“Yes.” The four girls replied in unison excitement laced in their voices. Sunny stared down at her sweaty palms rubbing her thumb along the curves of her hands slowly lifting her head to look at him. He was staring at her.

“Cool…” he replied.

Sunyoung blinked, the voice that came out of Taemin was not the voice that had called a warning out to them, she could see from the corner of her eye Jennie slide closer to Taemin. Jennie and Sunyoung had always been the one to fight over boys, who liked the same guy and Sunyoung knew L.Joe had cheated on her more than once with Jennie but she chose to forget about it because they were friends.
And right now, Sunyoung could see the predator lurking inside Jennie, yearning for Taemin. To be the one who called herself his girlfriend.

Taemin’s faced turned pale like it had previously when she first saw him.

Why was it every time he gazed at her, he looked like he had just seen a ghost, yet the paleness of his skin could indicate him being a ghost himself.

“My name is Jennie!” The girl shrieked, trying to distract the newbie away from Sunyoung. Taemin teared his hues away gazing towards Jennie and bowed his head. Golden oculars gliding up and down the brunette-haired girl’s body. “Taemin…”

“We know! You just started.”

Taemin nodded his eyes fixated on Sunyoung again. “I’m Lisa. Opposite me and Jennie is Krystal, Rose and then Sunny.” The blonde introduced Taemin to the other girls including Sunyoung herself.

Tense. Sunyoung was so tense, knowing the new student was only a few inches away from her made her nervous. Their little intimate encounter still had her flushed. It was like Taemin would be staring at her because he was interested in her but, of course not.
Simply the thought of his existence was enough to make her stiff. ‘Do it Sunny. Do it, take a quick glance in front of you. Look at him.’ Sunyoung elevated her head, catching a quick glimpse of the beautiful boy standing in front of her.

She was not disappointed by what she saw; the new student, holding a fragile, old book tightly within his palm— tilting her slightly to read the title name ‘Wuthering Heights’. His rugged, holed white t-shirt underlining his soft abs underneath, a grey and white plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows,  his murky green bomber jacket slung over his shoulder due to the warm weather, faint veins that embossed out his arms were extremely attractive to her.

“You like to read?” Sunny suddenly blurred out.

Taemin arched a brow letting his eyes fall to the book within his palm, he nodded.

“Wuthering Heights, it’s my favourite.”

Sunny chewed down on her lower lip as her hues worked up to the newbie’s focused facial expression; a cute scowl as he opened his book to the page he had stopped on, quickly reading through the passage in his book before bookmarking the next page. “Same…” He murmured.

Walking round the lunch table he picks the ball out the water to return it back to the original owners ignoring the eyes on him.
“Tell Henry to watch where he kicks that blasted ball.” Jennie scoffs fixing her make-up whilst looking at her reflection in the small compact mirror.

“Sorry about her, it was nice meeting you, Taemin.” Krystal apologise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter