Somewhere Far (final)

Somewhere Far

word count: 2000

Provinces are usually somewhere far away from the city. These two, Kyuhyun and Sooyoung were childhood friends of the same province in Cheonan. But then, Sooyoung had to move. The two ended up distant from each other, not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally as well. They meet again only when the two made it as superstars in SM entertainment, and because of their hectic schedules, they still don't talk much.

2030

"Here you go, kid."

The salesman hands the latest game to the young boy whose smile grew bigger as he holds the parchment with his small hands. The man laughs and watches the boy leave the store as he remembers himself back then. He used to love video games just like that little kid (who is a regular by the way). He then stacks up all the video games and eyes an old pack of ones labelled "Star Craft".

The bell from the entrance door rang, and two female customers in their 30's come in. The two were tattling about the latest models of cars and beauty products and also what to buy for their kids during Christmas, when they see the game store owner.

"O-oh? Isn't that Cho Kyuhyun of Super Juni-or?" Kyuhyun grins at them and waves.

"Annyeonghaseyo! Do you want to buy a video game for your kid?" He grins widely at the two.

The two ladies laugh and giggle (as if they were teenagers again) and rush to the counter.

"It's been years now! The only news we had about you was 10 years ago! They said that you skipped going to the army!" Kyuhyun nods at the remark.

"Yes, I have." He chuckles. "I came all the way here after we disbanded and made a game store."

The fans laughed as they remembered how much he loved games especially Star Craft. "Do you miss them?"

And Kyuhyun nods. Of course he does.

Soon it was closing time, and Kyuhyun heads out after closing the lights. He brushes his hands through his messy brown hair and smiles as he locked the game store. It's been years that he has been handling this small store in Cheonan, and he loves how peaceful and how great he was doing like this.

He misses the rest of bandmates of course, but he couldn't be anymore happier with how he is living. He found himself, he didn't know that he was lost but he was glad he found himself.

He was 42 years old and until now, he doesn't have a girlfriend. At least, not yet. He was still waiting for someone. A certain someone.

***

"Hi noona, I'm home!"

He greets his sister who was at the phone chatting with a friend as they babble about the latest gossip. Kyuhyun wonders why she had to visit him now of all times, instead of just spending her holidays with her family. It was sad for him because he wanted to spend Christmas time alone this year. And with his sister in the house, it's going to be noisy and awkward. He didn't want it that way; he wanted it quiet and awkward peaceful.

The Cho residence wasn't so small but it wasn't so big either. Kyuhyun smiles to himself as he imagines little him walking around the living room and to his headquarters. He chuckles to himself as he goes into his room. It was a mess, but he didn't care whatsoever. He sits himself on the bed before opening the TV and flipping through some channels.

The shows recently were different and futuristic. They had ones with more electronics and hardwares being featured. There were some variety shows still. but they weren't as good as the old ones. KPOP was still as popular as before, not as popular when Super Junior was around but EXO and other groups of different entertainments was keeping the KPOP's popularity up the charts, so it was all good.

When Kyuhyun flipped the next channel, he was in for a delightful surprise. The next was a news channel and on screen was none other than the girls of SNSD. All 9 of them were still there. They look quite old, around 40's, but they were still there. The camera focuses on Sooyoung and Kyuhyun could only sigh as he clasps his hands together and watch the girl he has loved ever since he had said hello.

"Alright, so you girls I mean sunbaes will be having a long vacation am I right?" The newscaster-Park Jimin from BTS- asked as he waved the microphone animatedly towards the girls with a cheeky grin across his face.

"YES!" They shout happily and a smile formed on Kyuhyun's lips. He missed her and he wanted to see her.

"Kyuhyun! There's someone on the line!" His sister shouts and he hurries to the phone; it could be one of his hyungs! Or it could be her.

***

"Hello, hyung?" Kyuhyun asked through the phone.

"A-annyeong! No I'm not your hyung."

Kyuhyun's grin got bigger when he realizes who he was actually talking to.

"Sooyoung-ah!! I missed you, how has it been?" He asked through the phone excitedly. In the corner of his eye, his sister was grinning and secretly teasing him in her mind, but who the heck cares?

"I'm all good Kyuhyun-oppa! I'm already on my long holiday break before our last comeback." Kyuhyun gulped at what she said.

"Oh, I hope it will be a good last comeback!" He says awkwardly but cheerfully. "Where will you spend your holidays?"

"I'm going to Cheonan to see my grandparents. Then I'm going back to Gyeonggi-do to see my parents. And then finally, I'm going back to Seoul to see the rest of our family." Kyuhyun nods to himself. "Are you going to the reunion?"

Of course Kyuhyun was going. He wasn't going to miss seeing his SM family for the world!

"Of course I'm going Soo-ah." Kyuhyun says.

Sooyoung could hear him smile on the line and she smiles as well.

"I'm going to Cheonan first, I'll text you when I'm at home."

"Alright. See you." Kyuhyun greets and closes the phone.

His sister was seated on the sofa watching him with a smile. "Ohhh little Sooyoung was on the phone?" She teased and Kyuhyun groaned. Sooyoung and him were actually neighbors when they were younger and the best of friends as well. How time goes fast.

***

Good morning.

Kyuhyun texts Sooyoung as soon as he wakes up. He sighs as he types away and presses the send button. Sooyoung hasn't texted him yet if she has gone for Cheonan like she said she will, and Kyuhyun could only wait. A few minutes passed and she hasn't replied so Kyuhyun got up from his bed and rushes to the kitchen.

His sister wasn't there yet to prepare breakfast, so it's up to him to do so. Kyuhyun wasn't the type who can cook. Usually Ryeowook does the cooking so he doesn't bother doing such hectic work. When he was forced to so though, he gets ramen and just mixes everything together.

He prepares two bowls on the dinner table and pours in the final mix into the bowls. Kyuhyun peeks through the hallways, but his sister hasn't gone out yet or opened the lights. He sighs, sits down and eats pleasantly. He ate slowly in fact, because the day could be as fast like yesterday and Kyuhyun did not want that. He wanted things to be slow, because that way, he could be happy slowly and satisfyingly. 

Breakfast was done, so Kyuhyun goes out to greet the chilly morning and the bright morning sun. It was Christmas indeed as the snow was starting fall even if the sky was bright and shimmering. Kyuhyun looks out at the house next to his household. He smiles to himself when he remembers something from so many years ago. Years ago, that house was used to be owned by the Choi's. He smiled at the little Sooyoung waving to him when they were little and he too waved back at her as a sign of respect.

He had no idea that he would fall in love with her.

But he did.

Soon after, they have become the best of friends. They would play at the playground in Cheonan together and they would study together. Kyuhyun's feelings were growing and growing towards his best friend, but he couldn't seem to tell her and admit it. When Sooyoung becomes closer to other guys, Kyuhyun gets jealous until finally he becomes distant towards Sooyoung. Suddenly he stops talking to the girl, and suddenly ignores her. Sooyoung did not understand but she didn't bother the boy.

Days passed and Kyuhyun wasn't sure if he should start talking to her or not.

A knock on the door changed his mind.

It was Sooyoung and she had something important to say.

"Kyuhyun oppa, I have to leave Cheonan." Kyuhyun watched with wide eyes. He was shocked. "We're going to Gyeonggi-do. I just want to tell you that. Bye oppa."

And she leaves,just like that.

Kyuhyun wanted to grab her hand and tell her not to let go. But there was something inside of him that says it wasn't the right time. And so, all he did was watch her leave. He nodded as he close the door.

"I hope we see each other again Sooyoung-ah. Annyeong."

That was their first goodbye.

***

Hi, Kyuhyun-oppa. I just came from Cheoan.

Kyuhyun reads the text with a frown. He's been waiting for her to come out, and she says that she has already left? He pouts and texts back with a pusheen before going back to his house from the doorstep. He heads to his room again and opens the TV and smiles to what he sees.

It was a documentary of the icons who auditioned for SM entertainment. He smiled to himself when he remembers the old days. He joined a contest and eventually was taken in by SM. He remembers seeing Sooyoung in the building as well. When he saw her, he felt like the happiest teenager in the world. He dared not show it, but he was happy. It was the first he's seen her in a very long time, who wouldn't be happy?

But even if they were in the same building, they don't talk to each other much because of the trainings and busy schedules.

Kyuhyun had the sudden urge to go to Seoul. He missed the city, and since it has been about 10 years he visited the place, he might as well go. He packed some holiday attires and leaves the house without saying good bye to his sister who was busy cooking herself food. She didn't want to eat the ramen Kyuhyun has made.

When Kyuhyun reached Seoul, the first place he went to was the city's cafe. The main reason for that was because he and Sooyoung used to come here. It was their first reunion after a long time, and as Kyuhyun remembers, what they talked about wasn't how one has been. No, they talked about SM, they talked about Soo Man and they talked about business. They didn't talk as friends during that time and Kyuhyun hoped that Sooyoung wouldn't talk to him like that.

"Oh! Kyuhyun-oppa?"

Kyuhyun turns around and his grin was the widest ever.

"Sooyoung!!" And they hug.

The two talk for awhile in the cafe, this time it wasn't about business. It wasn't related anything to SM, not at all. And Kyuhyun for the first time, was happy and beyond relieved.

"Kyuhyun-oppa." Sooyoung started as he looked directly into Kyuhyun's eyes. "I've missed you. I-i mean it's been awhile we actually talked." Kyuhyun nodded. Yes it has.

"Want to go to Cheonan, Sooyoung-ah?" Kyuhyun asked expectantly, and Sooyoung smiled and nodded.

"Sure."

 

The two went to the playground were they first played. It was awesome! The two occupied the swings. It was quite small because they were quite big, but it didn't matter since they just wanted to have fun. "I missed this." Kyuhyun muttered as he swung himself to the full power!! And fell on his .

"Yah!! Are you okay?" Sooyoung rushed to Kyuhyun but couldn't help it and burst into laughter.

"I'm fine!" Kyuhyun laughed as well.

When the two were trainees of SM entertainment, the two met at the very same playground in Cheonan just to talk about their lives. They had no idea that they will be seeing each other, but they were glad they have talked after a long time, disregarding their busy training schedules.

Kyuhyun looked back at the swing again. When they talked about their trainee lives, he wanted to tell her he loved her. But he couldn't.

"Sooyoung.." Kyuhyun started as the 40 year old woman pulled him up.

"What is it?"

"I remembered I wanted to tell you something here when we last came to this playground."

"Oh really? What was that?" Sooyoung asked.

"I wanted to tell you I loved you."

 

Sooyoung laughed.

"It's good that you didn't. That was a little far off."

Kyuhyun's heart broke a little but he was strong enough to withstand that small comment.

"No it's not." Sooyoung scoffed.

"I don't believe that you have feelings for me Kyuhyun-ah." Kyuhyun sighed.

"Maybe I shouldn't have gone here. I should just go back to the game store instead."

Sooyoung laughed. "That's cute. You're still the evil gamer everyone loves." There was this hint in her voice that Kyuhyun didn't understand. It sounded bitter like coffee bitter.

"Yeah. Everybody... Except you." He looked up to see Sooyoung looking at him exasperatedly, but she does not say anything yet. Only when her phone rings did she decide to say something.

"Oh. Sorry oppa! But I have to go! I haven't visited Gyeonggi-do, I just went straight to Seoul." Sooyoung hurried to leave but Kyuhyun didn't want to let her go so easily. So she grabbed her hand and waited for her to turn with the cutest angriest face ever.

"Why not? Why can't you love me the same way I do to you?" Kyuhyun says calmly with a smile playing on his lips. He was not the kind of guy who gets heartbroken and emotional after being rejected. He was just not going to give up. "And you even went to Seoul first when you said you'll go to Gyeonggi-do. That just means you were hoping to see me right?"

Sooyoung tries to pry away Kyuhyun's hands but Kyuhyun just chuckled and held her hand tighter.

And then he pulls her closer and closer, and closer and closer... Until finally, he kisses her on the lips and grins at his success. Sooyoung couldn't do the same thing because she was beyond surprised. Her cheeks were reddening and heating up with what Kyuhyun did. And Kyuhyun, being the evil maknae everyone knew, turned to leave.

"Wait!" Sooyoung shouted and grabbed Kyuhyun's hand.

Kyuhyun chuckled and tried to pry away her hands, but she didn't let go. He laughed and puller her closer and closer again and pecks a kiss on her forehead. And Sooyoung smiles.

"When we were kids.. When you were about to leave. I should have grabbed your hand and never let go. Because that's what love is right?" Sooyoung chuckles. "It's easy! I'm not a master of games now! I could be a master of lo--" Sooyoung kicks him. "Awooo!!" Sooyoung laughs. "Naega saranghaeyo~~" Kyuhyun sings.

"That's not even your song Kyuhyun!"

Provinces are usually somewhere far away from the city. These two, Kyuhyun and Sooyoung were childhood friends of the same province in Cheonan. But then, Sooyoung had to move. The two ended up distant from each other, not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally as well. They meet again only when the two made it as superstars in SM entertainment, and because of their hectic schedules, they still don't talk much.

But now, after all those years. They finally got to talk.

Kyuhyun finally admitted how much he loved her.

And although Sooyoung couldn't quite show that she felt the same, she did.

 

The End.