(2/4) The dinner

Wrong Present

“I’M REALLY DOOMED, YOU FREAKING ! THIS IS ALMOST 8 AND I’M STILL STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS TRAFFIC!”

 

To say that Baekhyun had made the taxi driver annoyed at her was an understatement. The old man perhaps loathed her as she kept cursing at her best friend through her mobile. The innocent Byun Baekhyun could turn into a sassy in no time if someone was brave enough to test her patience. Even her best friend was not the exception. “This was Mr. Park who asked me for a dinner, you ! I’m gonna rip your—argh! I’m hanging up!” If it wasn’t for the old driver who kept sending dirty glare at her, Luhan would be dead. Throwing her phone inside the bag, Baekhyun folded her arms in her chest as she kept looking outside the window, looking out for the restaurant they were meeting in.

 

The dashboard clock told her it was almost five minutes past 8 and that certain restaurant was nowhere to be found. Baekhyun stopped the taxi and handed the bills to the old driver before jumping out from the backseat. The girl had to search for the restaurant by foot for about ten minutes before she rushed towards the front door, breath raging. She told the waiter that she had an appointment with Mr. Park then she was guided to one of the luxurious private rooms the restaurant had. Baekhyun gulped as she saw her boss’ furrowed brows, making her stop and hesitate to walk and sit closer to her boss. Mr. Park told the waiter to let Baekhyun sit by herself and in no time it was only her and this man who looked like a serial killer. A handsome one, Baekhyun thought again before she was startled by his booming voice.

 

“Sit down,” he demanded.

 

Even if Baekhyun wasn’t used to being asked to do something, she still followed the command. Pouting her lips unconsciously, she stepped closer before taking a seat right across her boss, not even sparing a glance toat him. Baekhyun stayed silent for a brief minute until the man cleared his throat and handed her the menu. “Ready to order?” Baekhyun was taken aback by the contrary of Mr. Park’s tone from a while ago. She raised her head a little only to bring it down again when their eyes locked accidentally. The blush had already crept up her cheeks and Baekhyun had the urge to run away and punch Luhan in the face. Okay, that wasn’t even feminine at all.

 

Mr. Park seemed like he was enjoying the view when he made no comment on Baekhyun’s blushing face. Instead, he found it adorable that he wanted to kiss his employee until she was left breathless. The man hurriedly shook his head, trying to erase that dirty thought from his head. Baekhyun didn’t have to know that Chanyeol had been waiting for this moment since the first time he saw the girl in their office.

 

Without waiting for the girl to decide what she liked, Chanyeol ordered them the best dishes this restaurant had. Their food finally came after fifteen minutes, together with the wine that Chanyeol asked for earlier. Baekhyun, who was still clueless about Chanyeol’s intention when he asked for dinner, finally gained her courage to feed her curiousity.

 

“Uhm, Mr. Park, May I ask you something?” Baekhyun met her boss’ stern gaze again and she almost got weak in the knee. “What exactly does this dinner mean?”

 

The man was quiet for a second before slicing the steak in front of him. “Just a friendly dinner.” He replied with a smug smile plastered on his face, making Baekhyun slightly frowned at his response. Friendly, he said? Well, if that’s it then, she sighed before swallowing her food.

 

Their ‘friendly dinner’ had turned into a frequent schedule for nearly two weeks straight. Even in her day-off, Mr. Park still took her out for different reasons (he still insisted that it wasn’t a date or something, though). Her hidden affair with the Department Chief had become the hottest issue that everyone liked to talk about during lunch break. It wasn’t that Baekhyun got annoyed with the issue; hell, she didn’t even give a damn about it. It was something about the mysterious plan inside Mr. Park’s head that she found irritating.

 

“I think he’s using me for a particular reason. He keeps asking me to have dinner with him since—,” Baekhyun stopped talking when she saw Luhan raise an eyebrow at her. “What’s with that expression?” The red-haired girl pushed Luhan’s face a bit forcefully until the latter whined in protest at her.

 

“You know he was using you yet you still agree to go out with him,” Luhan snorted loudly, “You really like him this much, huh?” Luhan tried to hold her laugh as she saw Baekhyun’s blushing. “That’s pretty obvious.”

 

“I’m not—I don’t like him.” Baekhyun pouted, shifting her legs from the arm chair. “I will never, ever like him.”

 

“Sounds convincing, though,” Luhan gave Baekhyun a smirk.

 

“I’m serious, Lu. You’re wrong if you said that he’s my type.” Baekhyun tried her best to lessen her blush, fiddling with the hem of her tank top as she continued. “I just agreed to dine with him because of my job.”

 

Baekhyun’s answer made both of the girls fall in silence for a while. Luhan tried to study Baekhyun’s face as if she was still hiding something important from her best friend, but the latter barely said anything. Instead of pushing her to spill more about her nights with Mr. Park, Luhan only patted the red-haired in a comforting manner. “If you’re bothered with something, you can always talk to me. I’m all ears.”

 

The latter gave her a reassuring smile before hugging her best friend tightly. “Thank you, Lu. You are the best.” Luhan knew Baekhyun wasn’t as tough as she looked like.

 

The next morning after having a girl talk with Luhan, Baekhyun was a bit surprised to find a stuffed puppy neatly seated on her desk. It was Valentine’s Day so she wasn’t surprised to find her desk full of boxes of chocolate and roses. But why was there a puppy stuffed toy, too? Baekhyun felt a bit sorry for the owner of that lame present—yeah, who was in their right mind to give stuffed toy as their present to Baekhyun who was, by all means, not a fan of something childish? She took the stuffed toy and threw it right onto the bin without much care.

 

Upon hearing a noisy sound from Baekhyun’s cubicle, Luhan took a peek at Baekhyun only to see her sorting out her pile of presents. As usual, she would take the expensive ones and throw away the priceless ones. Luhan glanced at the litter basket full of unacceptable gifts for Baekhyun’s liking. “What’s that? Oh, is that a stuffed puppy that you threw away, Byun?” Luhan’s voice was a bit louder so everyone started to mutter about Baekhyun’s habit of throwing away lame gifts. That was an old gossip to everyone in their department—even in another department—except for Mr. Park.

 

What they didn’t know was a certain Mr. Park had overheard the rumor about Baekhyun’s picky behavioras he sauntered to his office. Later, he promised to himself he would teach Byun Baekhyun some lessons about manner.


P.S : I'm sorry :c This story hasn't been beta-ed yet, so please bear with this okay? I promise I'll edit this later when it's beta-ed. XOXO.

P.S.S : Beta-ed yay!