monkey and fishy mission completed (not really)

Beginning from the Last Moment

beginning from the last moment

 

Donghae frown upon being woken up by the rustling of the tree's leaves outside the window. He has never been a heavy sleeper but it does not make sense why he can hear it when he clearly remember Hyukjae, his roommate and crush, closing the window before sleeping since the winter wind is too chilling to handle most of the time. Reluctantly getting out of bed, he rubs his eyes, glance at Hyukjae who is still sleeping peacefully in his bed beside Donghae's and head towards the window. He rubs his eyes once again when he sees a man sitting on the window's ledge and is about to shout for help when the man spoke.

 

"Shh... People are sleeping, you know? And so is your prince charming there." Amusement is evident on his face as the man points at something behind Donghae.

 

"Who are you? Are you going to steal from us? There's nothing to steal here!" Donghae frantically waved his arms, and then took a step back as a precaution.

 

"Whoa, relax. I'm here to pass you a message. Treasure your time with the person you love, because he might leave you soon." Donghae thought of laughing at the man's ridiculous warning although the seriousness in the man's tone told him otherwise.

 

"W-who are you?"

 

"I'm the awesome Youngjae, the magnificent, and I foretell the future. It is nice meeting you, goodbye Donghae!" In the next second, Donghae fell into darkness once again. What Youngjae has come to warn Donghae about is stupid and no one will ever believe, well, except for Lee Donghae.

 

-

 

It is the winter break already. The students can finally leave the University and return back home before the next semester start. Donghae is one of the few that decides to stay at the dorm. His mother and brother are overseas and returning home will mean that he will be lonely. He hates being alone. He obviously chooses to stay at the dorm with his roommate, also his crush, rather than going back home with no one to spend the break with. It is not as if he is eager to go home anyway. He has always wanted to be with Hyukjae for a longer time. It could have happened in the past if not for her mother’s continuous nagging about his son not loving her anymore and wants to spend time with his crush rather than his biological mother that have carried him in her womb for nine tiring months.

 

-

 

Donghae is kind by nature and way too gullible for his own good. He is someone that strong believes the existence of Santa Claus, fairy tales and many other mythical things. And hence, he too believes the dream he have had last night. He will not remember that weird encounter last night if not for the empty bed beside his. It is a dream, he tries to convince himself then realise that the guy called him Donghae. If it is not true, how does the guy know his name? At the thought of that, he starts having a panic attack.

 

“Hyukjae? Hyukjae!” He keeps calling as he run around the dorm, searching for him. He soon finds Hyukjae in the toilet with his hands on his zipper.

 

One, two, three…

 

Donghae's face is as red as a tomato after he understands what kind of situation he is in. Hyukjae on the other hand just stared at the guy who has budged into the toilet shouting his name when he was about to relief himself.

 

The door of the toilet is never locked since Donghae accidentally broke it once when he thought that it was broken because no matter how many times he tried turning the lock to the left (when he should have tried turning it to the right), it would not budge. He ended up pulling the whole lock out. They could not report to the lady in charge of the dorms as that would result them in paying for the broken toilet lock. It is not the first time Donghae decide to barge in anyway.

 

This, however, is their most embarrassing encounter in the toilet yet. After fully understanding the whole situation, Donghae bow profusely while muttering lots of ‘sorry’ before scurrying out of the toilet and close the door behind him. Once Hyukjae is out of view, he cups his beet red face and run to his bed, landing with a soft thud. How is he going to look at his Hyukkie now?

 

Fear creep into Donghae’s heart once again when he suddenly recall the warning. He gets out of bed again and sits outside the door, patiently waiting for his Hyukjae. He has decided that he will make sure that Hyukjae stay in his sight throughout the day. The embarrassing act is long forgotten by the fish brain as he continues to sit outside the toilet.

 

-

 

When Hyukjae is finally done washing up, he raises a brow when he sees Donghae seating outside the toilet. What now? “Donghae, what’s wrong with you today?” he asks and is attack into a tight hug by Donghae.

 

“You are not leaving my sight today, Hyukkie!” Donghae whine as he buries his head in Hyukjae’s neck, inhaling his scent.

 

Hyukjae know that Donghae has a crush on him, the whole campus do. It is too obvious since Donghae is always following Hyukjae around and often buy chocolates for Hyukjae on Valentines. He is about to reprimand Donghae when he notice the latter’s slightly teary eyes. Donghae is known for being a cry baby, but Hyukjae doesn’t know why he wants to cry now. Hyukjae decided that a whiny Donghae is easier to handle than a crying Donghae so he just leave Donghae be, not complaining that he is clinging on his arm too tightly like usual.

 

“Go wash up, Donghae.” Hyukjae instructs. Donghae wanted to whine again but he does not want to smell bad in front of Hyukjae. Running to the toilet, he quickly squeezes the toothpaste on his toothbrush, rinse his mouth and settle down on his bed to brush his teeth.

 

“Donghae, go back to the toilet and brush your teeth. You are going to dirty the bed like that.”Hyukjae try to drag Donghae back into the toilet when Donghae give Hyukjae his best puppy eyes, pleading Hyukjae to just let him stay and watch Hyukjae. Sighing in defeat, Hyukjae just let him be as he read his book and listen to his mp3 player. He had the mp3 player with him for years as it is a gift from his deceased grandmother.

 

Donghae grin widely while staring at Hyukjae’s back as he hurriedly brush his teeth. No one ever beat his stubbornness before.

 

-

 

“Donghae, let go!” Hyukjae hiss when Donghae continue to cling on to him for the rest of the day, and now, following him to the campus cafeteria for lunch. Donghae only hug Hyukjae’s arm tighter as he shake his head slowly. He’s determined to stick to Hyukjae from now on.

 

“Hyukkie, can we go to the movie later? Please…” Donghae plead when they finally finish buying their food (and Donghae purposely brought the same one as Hyukjae).

 

“No.” Hearing Hyukjae’s curt reply makes Donghae’s teary again. Noticing the sudden silence, Hyukjae look up from his food and see Donghae with his head down while furiously wiping his eyes.

 

“Fine, but only after I finish the literature essay first.” Hyukjae grunts as Donghae look at him with hopeful eyes which are still teary.

 

-

 

They end up going to the movie at around 5.30PM that evening and watch the only cartoon movie, Cloudy and the Chance with Meatballs 2. Hyukjae finds himself staring at Donghae the whole time since he is not interested in the movie at all. He takes note of how Donghae will squeal whenever the strawberry creature appears on the screen. He still wonders why Donghae is behaving is such a weird manner.

 

Hyukjae seldom return home even during the break as he will not be able to concentrate as well at home compared to in his dorm. Donghae manage to mess up Hyukjae’s original plan though–Hyukjae have actually planned to start his revision on Mathematics today.

 

-

 

“Hyukkie, the movie was amazing!” Donghae ramble as they walk out of the cinema and head for the nearest fast food restaurant for dinner.

 

Donghae keeps staring at Hyukjae’s back as he go and buy the food, afraid that he might disappear anytime now. When Hyukjae finally come back with the food in his hand, Donghae thank him happily and takes his food from Hyukjae. He has ordered an upsize meal and another happy meal since McDonalds is giving out figurines from the movie they have just watched.

 

Hyukjae look at Donghae gobble down his food before commenting, “Don’t eat so much, you'll get fat.” He regrets his action afterwards as Donghae eyes turn teary again. He wants to smack himself for saying that but he really does not understand the need for Donghae buying so much because as far as he knows, Donghae is a small eater.

 

“Seriously Donghae, what’s wrong with you today?” Hyukjae asks for the second time that day. Donghae choose to ignore his question for the second time of the day too. He simply shakes his head and has his head down. Donghae has finished his happy meal though he only ate a few fries from the upsized one. Hyukjae dare not make any comment anymore since Donghae already look like an emotional wreck.

 

-

 

“Hyukkie, can I sleep with you tonight?” Donghae asks timidly the moment Hyukjae completes his bath. Donghae is already mentally prepared for a rejection.

 

“Hmm…” Hyukjae agrees. He still doesn’t understand what’s wrong with Donghae and he made up his mind that he really hates a crying Donghae. It is for one night only, anyway.

 

Donghae smile is so wide that his cheeks are starting to hurt. They lay back facing each other, each at one end of the bed. Silence reigns all over the room until Donghae breaks it.

 

“Hyukkie, can I hug you?” Donghae request since this night seems colder than any other nights. Seeing the frown appearing on Hyukjae’s face when he turned to face him, Donghae gulps down the imaginary lump in his throat. He’s going to say no, Donghae thought to himself. “It’s okay if you don’t want, I won’t ask anymore.” Donghae quickly adds.

 

“Whatever.” Hearing that surprising one-word reply, Donghae immediately scoot closer to Hyukjae, gingerly wrapping his hands around Hyukjae’s waist while his head rest on Hyukjae’s chest.

 

Everything that has happened and is happening today feels so surreal to Donghae. He wonders if he could do this the next day too.

 

-

 

“See, I told you they are a perfect pair! When did I ever fail?” Youngjae boasted as he and the five other fairies gather around the magic well which shows the cuddling couple (ahem).

 

“Well, let’s see… You failed to form one hundred and fifty six couples this year and last year, was it one hundred and nine couple you failed to form?” Daehyun, one of the fairy, teases.

 

“Shut up! I was just one step closer to that. At least this new couple is the best you guys ever formed too!” Youngjae retorts as the other fairies chuckles.

 

“They are sure one cute couple. Of course, that is if they ever really become a couple. They are still dorm mates, you know?” the head fairy, Yong Guk, says.

 

“I’m sure they will become a successful couple. Want to bet?” Youngjae challenges and the fairies start putting their bet.

 

“Don’t be too confident though, Hyukjae just can’t bear a crying Donghae. I still can’t believe Donghae believed your ‘love will disappear’ warning. That’s the lamest method ever.” Zelo deadpans.

 

“Tsk, he did believe me. I’m sure monkey brain will fall for Fishy! Just wait and see. I will make you lose all your money. And I will name this mission ‘Monkey and Fishy’!” The other fairies burst out in a fit of laughter once more and continue spying on the potential ‘couple’ through the well hole.  

 


 

/collapses/ so lame, huhu T_T Thanks for the comments♥