Chapter 1

BriTeas

Briteas

 


/Briteas/ is a word that you will not find in any dictionary and if you Google it, the search engine will probably suggest a few words thinking you forgot how to spell British. In short it’s a pun, you dolt!

So much for the introduction that has nothing to do at all with the story. (Author laughing) This is a crazy story and even Tom, our hero (?), thinks so.


 

Foreigner, that’s what he was in the strange place. He was taller than everyone else was, at least he's not paler, but it’s so easy to spot him. His ginger curls that his baseball cap couldn’t contain didn’t help at all in disguising him as the unruly strands mockingly tried to escape their cell.

 

Tom only wished no one would recognize him as he toured the unfamiliar, yet interesting, place.

 

Armed with maps, Korean phrase book and a guidebook, he ended up in Hongdae in one piece. Though he did get many stares from strangers, some kids touched him as if he was a display and one cried, his English doing nothing to help, but at least not a soul had been running and screaming his name.

 

He was supposedly out of there already but it was just fake news his handler spread. Tom Hiddleston flew out of the country first thing in the morning, off to another strange land to promote his new movie. That’s just some ruse so he can roam around freely.

 

Two days! He was mentally crying already. Two days to explore and have adventures at a place where people barely speak English. He chuckled despite himself. For two days, he’s just an ordinary man who looked like Loki, not that people had noticed it yet.

 

Getting tired from walking around, buying street food here and there by pointing and nodding and grunting (he really felt strange but what can he do? The phrase book was actually useless). It truly felt like an expedition, so his inner cultured persona quieted down for excitement. He surveyed his surroundings looking for a place to rest, and have tea if possible. He finally spotted a café with people going in and out holding cups with a picture of tealeaves. Tom knew those are tealeaves, he’s sure of it, but iced tea?

 

The British in him mourned at the desecration of his beloved tea, but still, he needs to try the drink before he lets his judgment fall. He went inside the establishment and was hit by the strong aroma of coffee that made him flinch. Coffee and tea? He almost said bloody hell aloud. It’s not unheard of but this is the first time he’s daring this.

 

He casually walked to the counter and stared at the menu written in Korean with a groan. He looked around the counter to see if there’s something, a picture or a sample he can point at. There was nothing. Oh dear…

 

“Sir, may I take your order?”

 

“I don’t understand Korean… but I want a cuppa tea, if you have it warm…” but he needs to try the thing! He needs to be brave and for two days, he’s going to experience being Korean, “or an iced one will do. Give me your best shot, I think?” the girl only stared at him open and her brows raised. This was ridiculous and he looks like a fool blubbering his badly pronounced Korean that didn't made sense to the local.

 

“Tea?” he tried again making drinking-from-a-cup gestures but the girl only has enough English to say some greetings that isn’t a bit helpful. A man stepped in front of him and spoke to the crew and he almost scoffed, how rude… but then he thought he’s probably holding the line too long. He was about to go when a strong, calloused hand gripped his wrist. Tom fought the urge to yelp and wondered if he should start screaming since English isn’t really useful to him now.

 

“Sir? I’m off my way, your hand… please?” he said hoping the stranger will let go of him. He wasn’t freed and he used the time to study the man instead of yelling like a lunatic. Broad shoulders, bronze skin. He was shorter than him, barely reaching Tom's chin. He has prominent jaws, sculptured nose and if not for the small eyes, he would not look Korean to Tom. His hair was cut short with long fringes in front, meticulously styled and gods, those arms could rival Hemsworth’s. Tom swallowed and panic started to sink in.

 

“You said you wanted tea right? Just wait for a second.” The man spoke and it’s in English! Tom almost jumped in joy. His gaze landed at the hand trapping him feeling unafraid now but still curious. When the muscular man finally let him go he wasn’t exactly relieved, which was bad since the touch almost felt comfortable when it shouldn't. It seemed being alone made him strange in the head.

 

Tom found himself in the company of a man with good English, his accent sounding wrong in an inappropriate way – it was almost... hot. He was given a cup of bubbletea that the man described as tea with iced coffee and milk plus some gelatinous balls.

 

“I’m Kim Jong kook by the way.”

 

“Kim John Cook? I’m Thomas.” He immediately stood up and offered his hands while the other guy looked up at him still seated. He felt odd and sat but the man only chuckled. “My first name is Jong kook.” Tom tried to pronounce it but it only resulted to more chuckles. He realized he must have sounded awful.

 

The British guy's face clearly showed his distress fascinating Jong kook. He studied the man who was really handsome though a bit out of place with him craddling the plastic cup as if he's drinking from a cup and he gives off this aura that was very likeable, very un-Loki-like, not that Loki is bad news but Tom was just... different. “Okay Mr. Thomas, call me Kim if that’s easier for you… but there’s thousands of us here with that surname…” he got a blank look from the foreigner, “ah, it doesn’t matter anyway but may I ask something?” Tom nodded enjoying the tea to mask his embarrassment. It wasn’t bad tasting but it would have been better if it were a bit sweeter.

 

“Are you Loki?” Tom almost choked on his drink and nodded nervously. “Oh, I knew it… I am a fan of Avengers.”

 

“Thank you, and yeah I’m Tom Hiddleston.”

 

“Thomas, it’s a nice name… Thomas William Hiddleston.” Now that’s really strange, the Englishman thought. His name had never sounded better from the lips of another man.

 

“Why did you help me out back there Kim?”

 

“I’m friends with the owner and when I saw you I knew right away you’re Loki. You're my favorite next to Iron man,” Tom frowned. He didn’t want to be Loki today. And he thinks Jong kook misinterpreted this which was cute. "Err, I really like you Loki, I mean... well you..."

 

“I thought you said my name was nice? So why mention Loki here?” the Korean blushed making the British grin. He cannot even begin to understand his reaction to Kim, but it's very pleasant. The strange place didn't even feel so unfamiliar anymore.

 

“Yes it is nice… Thomas.” The shorter man leaned on the table and smiled. Tom didn’t want to be rude but he hadn’t been around much Asian people to know better and Jong kook is starting to fascinate him a lot in unusual ways and maybe, even had him interested.

 

 Jesus Tom!

 

But then again, that smile and those eyes that disappear into lines that reminds him of rainbows. He’s poetic but not towards men, especially strangers. However, he’s in a foreign soil where people barely speak his language. He was all alone and this fellow is a friend and just everything is new and special and extra beautiful so maybe he’s just seeing things oddly because of the psychological impact or, or – and now he’s ranting inside his own head trying to reason out his unacceptable behavior. It’s the foreign thing right? Right?

 

“I said… hey Thomas?” Jong kook coughed a little and waved a hand in front of his companion. “Thomas, I said if you’re interested to tour around? The country is much more nicer than the city.”

 

“Oh… oh yes sure. That would be lovely.” The man beamed at him and Tom swallowed. Asians are too beautiful… oh god what the bloody hell’s happening to me? Oh dear…

 

----------

 

Tom was fascinated, curious interested, awed, overwhelmed… he could list all the good adjectives from the dictionary and it will still pale from what he’s feeling right at that moment. “Gods, just… this is too lovely, just wow. Oh wonderful, it’s a wonderful thing… just amazing! Hands down, I swear!”

 

Jong kook grinned at him holding out his hand to pull him up. He accepted the help, amazed at how strong and graceful the shorter man is. This is giving him serious Sherlock and John vibes. Benedict, his good pal, will surely if the prat knew.

 

“Korea’s amazing… this is so beautiful Kim.”

 

“I know… you’re describing it beautifully too,” that faint sound of nostalgia caught him off guard and he frowned. It almost sounded sad to Tom. “Kim, you sound as if... I’m not sure but are you okay mate?”

 

“Nothing. I’m not really so free to enjoy this.”

 

“Your work prevents you?”

 

“Yeah sort of.” He sighs and they walked further to get a better view of the small traditional village, the falls and the hundred years old trees coming into view. “You know, one day maybe I’ll visit London and get away from all this for a while. I am a fan of Harry Potter, must be nice to visit,” Being a real gentleman, Tom was quick to extend an invitation to Jong kook. He wouldn’t normally do this with people he just met, but he was comfortable, even intrigued, with the Korean. “I’m not really always home, but one day I’ll invite you. It will be nice but I have to say sorry now for some inconveniences.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Paparazzi.”

 

“I know it well.”

 

Now that was too meaningful.

 

“Let’s go Thomas. It gets dangerous here when it gets dark.”

 

 

That day Tom let himself be Thomas with Kim Jong kook. They had dinner together in the small village. He got to watch his food cooked in a kiln and they even let him sample spices and seasonings straight from earthen jars in the backyard.

 

Kim taught him do drink makgeoli inside those little huts in the streets of Seoul after the little sightseeing in the country. The man confessed to not being fond of alcohol but he said Thomas was an exception, so they got drunk so badly until everything is spinning. They roamed the streets until this big man picked them up.

 

Kim called the guy his baby sitter and Tom didn’t really care since the baby sitter brought them to a warm room and deposited them in a warm bed. He was too tired to think of anything except the warmth and the clean sheets beckoning him to sleep. He didn’t even care even if he’s spending the night in a bed with another man even if it's oddly natural. He snuggled closer to the warm body beside him.

 

“Thor! Asian Thor you are, but not… oh but this biceps, that Thor in you.”

 

“Yep, I am Thomas… I was Thor in Running man. I even watched you dance to crayon pop.”

 

“It was silly fun.”

 

“Hilarious, that you are.”

 

“You silly drunk, you weren’t Thor. Another guy did Thor and we danced crayon pop, jumpee, jumpee, we did.”

 

“I am Thomas, I am.”

 

“Oh you prat, shut yo’ trap and sleep.”

 

“Yes, yep Thomas… sleep.”

 

And that they did.

 

Tom woke up. His heavy feeling like it’s being split into halves. It was warm and he was tempted to close his eyes again, when he realized it was not blankets that were keeping him warm. It was another man.

 

Oh dear heavens…

 

Jong kook has his arms around him and the Jin guy was outside the room. Tom could hear him speaking to someone in an annoyed tone and he wondered if he just slept with someone else’s boy friend.

 

He almost fell off the bed. It was unbelievable but they were drunk and it’s not like Robert didn’t have his moments that gets stranger when he drinks too much, which was like everytime Tom is down there and Liam and Chris was also touchy at times… but why is it different with this man?

 

Tom decided to leave the place. He scanned the room and saw a pad of paper and a pencil… god, it felt like he had just had a one night stand and why is he leaving like a guilty sinner? He should stay and wait and say his gratitude --

 

-- Instead he wrote… and left the note on the empty spot in the bed. He went out and smiled sheepishly at the Jin guy who didn’t really try to stop him from leaving. “I’m going… sorry about the troubles… and thanks, and Kim… I’m sorry --” the guy didn’t give him any indication that he understood what he’s saying. With a bow, Tom left.

 

Tom found his way to the hotel room he was staying at after calling the concierge to fetch him. He decided to fly out that very day and leave even if he still has time left to stay.

 

----------

 

“Luke… what’s that?” he asked his buddy-slash-handler.

 

“Asian show? This was pretty big in the continent and the staff back in Korea won't stop talking about it.”

 

“And since when had you been interested on those things?”

 

“Saw a clip on YouTube, Asian Avengers… look at them," Tom got his faced almost smashed with the tablet, a clip playing in it, "quite cute actually, and hilarious. The black Mong is pretty hot and Jesus, the Hulk gimmick was so funny. I swear you need to see the whole episode. Thor was, well he’s pretty useless there with the power he’s given but that’s what it makes it funny and the…”

 

Luke continued to rant about the show but Tom’s gaze was on the guy playing Thor. It was Kim! The sadness in his voice when they were on top of the mountain, the frantic guy in the apartment, the meticulously styled hair… him saying he’s Thor. Tom suddenly regretted leaving with just a note.

 

----------

 

“Hello? Who’s this? If you’re some sasaeng –”

 

“Can you please speak English Asian Thor?” there was a laugh of disbelief (and was that joy?) on the other line that made Tom happy. “Hey there, mate? Are you in there?” Jong kook cursed aloud, dropping ddeokbokki on his pants. In his excitement to tell off Thomas for leaving him like that. “Hey there Thor, I think you’re cursing me though I don’t have any idea what you’re saying?”

 

“T-Thomas?” Jong kook croaked. “You… what… how,” there was a bit of silence as they listened to each other breathe and tried to contain themselves.

 

“Kim, I can well afford the telephone bill but really, if we continue like this I think I might chicken out and—”

 

“Don’t you dare drop the call you bastard! You owe me an invitation, remember?”

 

“Ah yeah, and some tea, proper tea in fine china if you want. And yes… that’s why. London is a nice place but I’d rather take you to some distant country like you did with me. So… when are you free from your Running Man and Escape Crisis?”

 

Jong kook grinned feeling his annoyance simmer down. He ignored the stain in his pants and laughed.

 

“I deduce that I am forgiven, right Kim?”

 

“You did your homework Thomas and yes, I’ll see you there...”

 

“I’ll send you the invitations and tickets… just tell me when…”

 

“No need, Thomas. If you can afford telephone bills – we’re approaching an hour’s rate already – I can also afford tickets and I don’t think it’s wise to refund them now.” Tom must have let out an unmanly yes and what that made Jong kook chuckle but he didn’t care. He smiled so hard that his jaw felt like it’s falling apart but what does that matter even if he's due to the show in an hour?

 

“See you tomorrow Thomas… good luck on the theater, I heard it’s a good show,”

 

How? – oh…

 

“Was it Luke? It’s he right? Right?” how the handler got Jong kook’s number he didn’t know, he didn’t even care if Luke had a hand in this. He was just excited. Did he like Kim? Maybe, or he just needed this to be sure… it doesn’t really matter even if they’re being too fast. They just don’t have the liberty to slow down with the world and the oceans in between them. “It’s him right?”

 

“See you tomorrow Thomas. Ask him if you're curious.”

 

The line went dead and Tom knew he’d have to punch himself out cold to be able to sleep or maybe drug himself tonight. Then he groaned… he didn’t know Jong kook’s flight! Oh but there’s Luke and he needs to restock his flat, make sure the guest room is clean… and his room, wait his room?

 

 Oh god!

 


*Screams* oh gosh!!!! This is so wrong on many levels but aaaaah! They’re too cute… I can totally imagine Thomas having tea with Jong kook in the country. The British in Tom teaching the Korean guy how to savor the tea while watching the scenery then Jong kook in turn teaches the Englishman to eat rice and kimchi (oh dear I’m crazy). I don't know how I started to ship this crack pair but I can't help it. And thank you Cel for indulging my crazies...