Chapter 4

Contract

 

Welcome to Narita International Airport.

 

I walk out of the terminal pulling a small black luggage case. I’m not planning on staying for long in Japan anyway. Before I caught the flight, Janet informed Tiffany’s PA of the plans. Within thirty minutes of that happening, I received a text from Tiffany saying she’s sending a company car to pick me up from the airport.

That was sweet of her.

I search amongst the people holding signs for one with my name on. Hmmm…nothing so far. Perhaps they have the flight arrival time mistak-wait a minute. My eyes narrow. That can’t be right…

There is a man dressed in a chauffer’s uniform holding up a sign that reads ‘Mrs Hwang’.  I walk up to him incredulously. “Erm, excuse me?”

He turns and recognition lights his face. He gives me a smile and bows. “Ah konnichiwa, Mrs Hwang. Please allow me to carry your bag.” He relieves me of my luggage bag and I give him a polite smile.

“Why do you call me Mrs Hwang?” I ask as I quicken my pace to walk alongside him. “And how did you know I was the right person?”

The chauffer replies promptly, “All employees of Hwang Industries know about you Mrs Hwang. A person who reads the newspaper too will know who you are. It has been all over the news.” He pauses then resumes with an apologetic tone. “With regards to me calling you Mrs Hwang, Ms Hwang specifically requested I do so. She said the it would be funny to see your expression. Please forgive me if I have offended you.” He gives another bow.

“No you haven’t offended me.” I say quickly. “Please call me Ms Kim”

“Yes, Mrs Hwang” He nods. Ah jinjja…

Once I’m in the car, I text Tiffany. I’m headed to the office now.

My phone beeps. Hope your flight was ok. Looking forward to seeing you.

I type a reply. Yes, my flight was alright. I briskly add; Mrs Hwang??

Another beep. Sorry, I couldn’t resist! Just a little, tiny prank…

I can’t help but give a little smile. Aish.

 

There is a substantial crowd gathered around the entrance of the company building. Mostly excited reporters, and a couple of harried looking employees trying to keep the situation under some form of control. I put on a pair of sunglasses and slide out of the car. There is an eruption of questions and camera flashes.

“What are your plans with the acquisition of Hwang Industries?”

“Is there going to be any down-sizing?”

“Will jobs be affected?”

“What perfume will you buy Stephanie Hwang for Valentine’s day?” I believe that was from a tabloid reporter.

I ignore them until I reach the foot of the entrance. I turn around and give them a well-practiced smile.

“Konnichiwa, it is an honour to visit the Tokyo branch of Hwang Industries. I am looking forward to building a good relationship with everyone. Thank you.” I give a quick bow and swiftly enter the building amidst a fresh flare-up of questions.

In the lobby, is a reception committee consisting of four senior members of staff. They greet me enthusiastically and usher me towards the lift. I am informed that Tiffany is currently addressing the head of each department and I am to join her in the seminar room. 

All the way there they don’t stop chattering –especially this short, portly man called Mr Mitzuwa. It takes just a few seconds for me to tune out. I nod my head intermittently in hopes that they don’t catch on.

“The Hwang family have always treated their staff well.” One of them says.

“Yes, Ms Hwang especially.” Another one chimes in.

Mr Mitzuwa adds, “Remember when Mr Ishida’s eight year old boy was diagnosed with leukaemia? Doctors said there wasn’t anything more they could do when he wasn’t responding to treatment.”

“I remember! I remember. How could anyone forget? Ms Hwang paid for private treatment and care.”

My interest is peaked. “Did the boy survive?” I ask.

“No.” One of them replies, shaking her head sadly. “It was heart-breaking. But Mr Ishida never forgot the support Ms Hwang gave him and his family. In fact all the Hwang’s turned up to the funeral and paid their respects.”

“Wouldn’t the attainment of private treatment be classified as an out of work issue?” I probe further.

“I know!” Mr Mitzuwa beams. “Isn’t she wonderful?” I nod in agreement. 

I don’t think anyone in my family would even think about getting actively involved in ‘out of work’ matters. Sure we would gladly sign the cheque – but that’s it. There is usually a representative of the company available to attend funerals, weddings etc. Kim Corporation is so vast, it is not viable for me to attend every event in person. Yet, although Hwang Inductries has a fraction fewer employees, Tiffany clearly took the time out of her busy schedule for that man and his family.

I feel a sudden surge of…pride for her.

 

We exit the lift to the sixteenth floor. The committee lead me to a large open plan office area lined with cubicles. As we walk past, I clock in the curious stares and subtle nudges of the workers. Most of them look quite alarmed and twitchy when they see me.  I indicate for the committee to halt for a moment and I take a step forwards to address the room.

“Good afternoon.” I bow politely. “I am Ms Kim Taeyeon from Kim Corporation. I have heard many good things about your company. I look forward to us working together. Keep up the good work.” I finish with a smile.   

The majority of them return my smile, to my relief. But there a few who still look apprehensive. A man in his mid-forties approaches us.

He bows respectfully and says, “Good afternoon, Ms Kim. My name is Mr Ariwa. I work in operations management. It will be an honour to work with your company.”

Mr Ariwa gestures to another man who is sitting at a desk near us. “And this is Mr Nakada, the assistant manager.”

Mr Nakada looks at me impassively. He is slow to rise from his desk. I suddenly sense a tension in the atmosphere. Several of the workers halt what they are doing to gape openly. I meet his stare with a rictus smile on my face. I get the feeling that this Mr Nakada is less than pleased about the takeover. And guessing from the reaction of his fellow colleagues, he has been quite vocal about it. His problem is there’s nothing he can do except to deal with it – or quit. I wouldn’t be bothered either way.

As though he read my mind, he grudgingly bows and whips a curt, “Good afternoon.” before returning to his seat.

Just like that the tension eases. Everyone recommences what they were doing. They probably expected a showdown of some sorts – martial arts optional. Mr Ariwa gives me an apologetic look before getting back to work. Interesting, it looks like Mr Lim has a point. Their loyalties do not transfer with a signature.

Mr Mitzuwa coughs nervously and squeaks, “Let’s proceed shall we?”

 

We finally reach the seminar room. Mr Mitzuwa escorts me in via the back door. It is a moderate sized room with around forty people in the audience. Tiffany is at the very front giving her speech. There is a power point presentation projected on a large screen behind her. Everyone in the audience is engrossed in what she is saying. They don’t notice me quietly slip into one of the seats at the back.

I watch as Tiffany delivers her speech in flawless Japanese. She is poised and expertly runs through each slide. Members in the audience raise their hand from time to time and she answers their questions effortlessly. I take the chance to study her more closely. The first thing I see is her smile. She has a lovely smile that reaches her eyes. I shuffle slightly in my seat. My attention shifts to her outfit. She’s wearing a sleek black dress that falls short at her knees. It’s doing a damn good job at highlighting her figure. My gaze drops to her legs – they look toned and…did someone call my name? I look up and find myself meeting the eyes of one bemused Tiffany Hwang.

Everyone in the audience has turned back to look at me. It dawns on me that she must have introduced me to the room in preparation for my talk. Tiffany gives the faintest nod to beckon me over. I swiftly rise and make my way towards her. Heads swivel, faces turn following me as I head to the front. 

It is nothing I haven’t done before. My speech goes as planned and I meet all the heads of the departments. To round things off, Tiffany is accompanying me on a tour of the various departments.

We are currently alone in the lift making our way to the accounting department when she teases, “So, Ms Kim ‘Elevator eyes’ Taeyeon-nim…”

“What do you mean?” I feign ignorance. “I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that.” Truth be told, no one in the audience even realized I was staring at Tiffany, So, the fact that she caught me out startles me.

“It’s okay.” She says reassuringly. “It’s good for the Japanese businessmen to see your great lust towards your wife. Means healthy marriage and all.” She keeps a straight face but I can see her fight back laughter.

“I will keep that in mind. Thank you.” I say coolly.

The doors open and I exit the lift perhaps a tad bit quicker than I normally would have.

 

The head of the accounting department is waiting for us, and we meet and greet several people. I realize the feel of the room with Tiffany is much warmer compared to my earlier experience. They approach her without trepidation and offer her well wishes.  She gives them charming smiles which they can’t help but return. She is quite the people person. I smile slightly in awe. She is really something.

A gaggle of younger girls – interns, approach Tiffany shyly.  One of them appears absolutely star-struck and wheezes, “Ms Hwang can we take a picture with you and Ms Kim?” The girl glances quickly at me before adding, “It’s okay if you don’t want to.” She scuffs her toe on the floor whilst looking crestfallen at the very thought that we might refuse.

Tiffany gives a small laugh and smiles at the girls. Her eyes meet mine and I nod in affirmation.

“Of course it’s alright.” She links her arm with mine as the girls gather around us. There is a surge of excitement as not only the girls but everyone else in the office whips out their phone to take a picture.

I hear a few people exclaim “Kawaii kappuru!” and “Onai no kappuru!”. There is an eruption of phones clicking away. I notice the happy expressions on the employees’ faces. Once we’re done, the girls bow, thank us then rush to see how the pictures turned out.

 Almost immediately I hear a few delighted squeals break out in the room. People are looking and enthusiastically pointing at us. The majority actually start snapping pictures fervently again. I turn to Tiffany confused when I see – our arms aren’t only linked but our hands are clasped together. Each finger interlocked. When did this happen? We must have subconsciously held each other’s hand whilst the pictures were being taken.  

Tiffany and I smile self-consciously at each other and break apart. A light blush is evident on her cheeks. I think I heard a disappointed aaaaw somewhere. I scan the room again. Everyone is looking mighty pleased at what just took place. I guess we accomplished the “look like a happy couple” assignment. Mr Lim will be thrilled. I clear my throat.

“Well everyone, thank you so much for your hospitality. Keep up the good work!” Tiffany and I bow respectfully. A cacophony of conversation proliferates as soon as we leave the room.

For the next few hours, we visit other departments, speak to different members of staff. Mostly small talk. Fantastic. Interestingly, I spot quite a few employees trying to discreetly film us on their phones. We’ve also had more requests to have our picture taken. I’m starting to understand what celebrities feel like – and my patience is wearing thin.

Tiffany on the other hand, is amazing with people. She has commendable interpersonal skills. At this very moment, she is animatedly talking to an older man who works in human resources.

“…and my knees are much better, Ms Hwang! It was a miracle!”

“I’m very glad to hear the physiotherapy worked well for you Mr Sanso.”

He smiles adoringly at her and happily hobbles off.

“He still walks with a limp?” I whisper.

“He used to walk with two canes before. Severe arthritis.” She answers knowledgeably. How does she know all these little things about all these people?

“You are amazing.” The words spill from my lips before I can stop myself.

She gives me the biggest smile I’ve seen all day.

 

Finally, our schedule comes to an end. We bid the executives goodbye and get in the company car. We had to pass through the press again who went doubly wild seeing the two of us together.  I rest my head back on the pleather seat as Tiffany tells the driver to take us to the Grand Hyatt – one of Tokyo’s finest hotels. I hear the push of a button followed by what sounds like a screen rising. I realize she’s raised the screen between the driver and us.

“Taeyeon?”

“Hmm..?” That’s all I can muster for now. I feel drained.

“How did you think today went?”

“Fine. As planned.”

“What do you think about the company?” Do I detect a hint of nervousness in her voice?

I take a deep breath. “You and your family have done a good job. Everything I have seen so far has reassured me of that. Hwang Industries has a solid, well run foundation. If that whole mess with the embezzlement hadn’t happened – you would still have been our primary competitor.”

She remains quiet and I sneak a glance at her. Her gaze is fixed outside the window. Traffic whizzes by. Her expression is still.

“Tiffany, I have to ask, do you feel any bitterness towards –” I hesitate slightly. “-towards me or my company because of all this?”

She whips her head to face me, astonished. “No! Or course not. The only person I harbour any ill feelings towards is that creature who betrayed my father.” Her expression softens as her eyes meet mine. “You have helped my family’s company, our employees…at perhaps a greater expense than you bargained for.”

I raise my eyebrows in question.

“You are stuck with me.” She finished with a small apologetic smile.

“Trust me. There was no one vying for that spot. Plus, you’re not that repulsive to look at.” I tease.

A sudden laugh escapes her. “Oh yes, I remember – Ms Elevator Eyes! Shamelessly ogling her wife in front of all the department heads. ”

“I was merely appreciating your fashion sense.” I reply indignantly. “Anyway,” I quickly change the topic, “speaking of appreciation, I see you’ve got yourself quite a number of admirers there Ms Hwang.”

She looks puzzled.

I smugly continue. “All those employees – you must have a fan club or something.”

She bursts into laughter. “Oh that! I am friendly with everyone. So, tell me what would my fan club be called?”

I mimic serious, business-like consideration. “The Fanypacks.” I deadpan.

“Yaaah!” She lightly hits my arm. The laughter comes easy to the both of us. 

However, she stops abruptly as though a thought has suddenly hit her.

“Tae, I forgot to mention something. Mr Lim had sent me a text as you were flying to Tokyo. He said taking into consideration the fact that we will have the press following us everywhere, it's advised for you to move into my room at the Hyatt. He has already made the arrangements.”

“Did he clarify his reasons?” I swear there was a time when this man used to help me solve my problems, not create new ones.

“Well. He said you getting a separate room altogether is out of the question because it will send the wrong message.”

“What about a suite with two rooms or twin beds?” I offer. Both of us had previously agreed to build up our relationship and get to know each other before…progressing. We are being careful about this – Mr Lim what in the world are you trying to pull?

Tiffany shakes her head. “No. I already asked him that. Again he went on about the importance of PR and good image promotion.”

I sigh. “What has to be done, has to be done I guess.” It will only be for one night anyway. Tiffany and I are returning to South Korea tomorrow evening. Our wedding reception at the Ritz Carlton is in two weeks.

The car pulls up to the arresting view of the Grand Hyatt - a magnificent twenty-one storey high rise building. The anticipation I could possibly feel is severely attenuated by the presence of a large hoard of paparazzi interspersed with the press.

I feel a headache coming on. This is going to be a long day.