Chapter 10

Contract

 

“You need sleep.”

You need to be monitored for another twenty-four hours.”

“I won’t be monitored if you’re sleeping anyway.”

My tone is cool but final. I lean back against the seat of the car. Tiffany is calmly sitting next to me. I have finally been discharged. However, the doctors mentioned that I needed to be watched for another day for any signs of serious head injury. Since it’s deemed not safe for me to go to her apartment – due to its senior inhabitant, Tiffany wants to follow me to mine. But I will not allow her to spend another sleepless night on my behalf.

“The scan of my head was normal,” I reason.

“The doctor said there was a chance a bleed could still develop.”

My driver is perceptively waiting outside the car, trying his best not to look like he’s eavesdropping.  There is another car parked ahead of mine with Michelle and Jason in it. Tiffany is meant to join them back to her apartment.  

I sigh and rub my face.

“Okay. You win.” She relents. “But on one condition. Mr Lim makes sure you reach your apartment safely.”

I nod my head. “Done.”

“In person.”

“What? There’s no need – ” I begin to counter.

Tiffany fixes me with an uncompromising gaze.

“Fine. He can come.”

She flashes me a bright smile which I find myself returning. She moves to leave the car, but her hand hovers above the handle of the door.  

She turns to face me and plants a soft, sweet kiss on my lips.

Oh…

“Call me when you reach.” She says when she pulls away.

When the driver sees Tiffany leaving, he gets in. A chuckle reaches my ears. He gives me a toothy, sympathetic grin.

“Wives. I’ve got one of those at home too. It’s easier just to say yes.” He confides.

 

 

I’ve determined that being knocked unconscious is a much better option than to be in this car.

Right now.

With Mr Lim.

“You haven’t answered my question, Taeyeon.”

“Oh you asked me a question?” I ask innocently. “I didn’t hear it. Must be side-effects of the concussion.” I go back to typing an email on my phone.

Mr Lim stays quiet for a while. I can almost hear his thoughts churning.

“Something must have happened then.” He concludes.

I sigh. “And how did you come up with that?”

“From what Stephanie told me, the two of you were obviously in the same room last night. And going by the way you’re reacting, some progression was achieved?”

“We were drunk.”

“I gathered that. All the more reason for something to occur.”

“Why do you even need to know this?” I ask, annoyed.

“I need to know that the two of you are working. That the contract will hold.” He replies in a matter of fact tone.

I pause. “We kissed.”

Mr Lim lets out a cheer and does a little fist pump. I do not believe this man.

“And?” He prods.

“We kissed a little and…you know…what usually happens…happened.”

His eyes grow round and shiny. I can tell he’s completely beside himself with joy. “Really?”

“It ended with a bang.” I glare at him. “Literally.”

Mr Lim deflates with disappointment but then picks himself up a little. “I guess kissing is still a progression at least.”

We sit in silence for a few minutes.

“You know back there with Maggie and the whole…,” He gestures towards his mouth and makes a gagging noise.

“Yes?” I don’t exactly want to be reminded of that…ever.

“The Kim Taeyeon I knew would have gotten her evicted from the hospital for doing that.” The same curious expression appears once again on his face.

“She’s fam –  I mean Tiffany’s family.” I hastily amend.

“Maybe you do have a soul after all.” Mr Lim says with a smile. His eyes temporarily glaze over as a thought enters his mind.

“Or maybe you should get hit on the head more often.”

 

 

When I reach my apartment, I give Tiffany a call as promised. Her phone rings a few times before I hear a sleepy hello. Damn. I hope I didn’t wake her.

“Fany-ah, did I wake you?” I ask.

“No.”

“Liar.”

“Okay…yes. But I was waiting for your call anyway.” I hear her stifle a yawn.

“I’ve called. Now go back to sleep. I will speak to you later?”

“Okay.” I can tell she’s smiling. “By the way, I like the new nickname you have given me.”

“Hmm...I have a better one though.” I can’t resist. I thought I could but I truly can’t.

“Really?” She sounds curious and excited.

“I think perhaps I should start calling you…” I stop for a few seconds to add effect.

Her breathing stills in suspense as I whisper into the phone, Miyoungie.”

“Yaaaaah!”