Chapter 1

Contract

Chapter 1

 

Two minutes. I have two, no scratch that, one minute and fifty-six seconds before the meeting starts. I walk briskly past rows of office desks with employees diligently typing away or talking importantly on the phone. They always do that when I walk by. One of them was so desperate, he grabbed a stapler instead of a receiver and pressed it to his ear.  I guess that’s what people do when the owner of the company walks by.

I reach the desk of my secretary. She sits up clutching a thick folder packed with documents and in her other hand she is holding out a cup of black coffee.

 “Good morning, Ms Kim. Everyone is in the boardroom. And the video call is already set up.”

I take the folder from her, ignoring the cup of coffee. I’ll have to get my caffeine fix later in the day when I have the time. If I ever get any free time which is terribly rare – not that I mind.

“Thank you, Janet. Can you move my meeting with Mr Yao to three this afternoon and chase up the financial report from last month.”

“Yes Ms Kim.”

I reach the doors of the boardroom. I take a quick glance at my reflection off the polished glass doors. My shoulder length blonde hair is neatly tied back and I’m wearing a black pencil skirt with a black blazer over a white blouse. I push open the doors. There is a brief pause as I enter the room. Conversations are halted and all eyes are on me as I take my place at the head of the table. In front of me there is a large screen filled with a view of another boardroom. There is a buzz of energy in the air. Sitting at the head of their table is a well kempt man in his late fifties - none other than the CEO of Hwang Industries himself.

I stand up from my seat and respectfully bow. “Good morning Mr Hwang, I am pleased to see you looking well.”

A smile breaks on the man’s face. “And a good morning to you Ms Kim. I am glad to you haven’t forgotten manners despite your success.”

I sit myself back down shaking my head gently. “I merely succeeded my father, Mr Hwang. Nothing to be glorified for I’m afraid.”

He heartily chuckled. “So modest as well! Yes, your family’s business was doing well throughout South Korea I admit, but I believe it was you who made your company internationally renowned.”

I smile. Small talk. I hate small talk. But business is all about the small talk. An outsider would be surprised to know that ninety per cent of all business interactions consist of small talk and kissing. Enquiring about the wife and kids, then about the mistresses and lovers. Any new boats purchased? However, I’ve been after Hwang Industries for a long time. They are our primary competitor in our manufacturing ventures. They have, on numerous occasion secured deals that our company has been equally vying for.

As luck would have it, Mr Hwang put his trust in the wrong man. One of the partners in their company embezzled millions of dollars and made several bad deals that left the company in debt. Of course Mr Hwang tried nobly to save their company, however the debt was too great. They need someone to bail them out. And they came to me. My plan now is to buy their company and dominate the market nationally and overseas.

Right. Back to the small talk.

“Well, I had to prove myself. I took over at a young age so it was understandable that people were apprehensive. But you, Mr Hwang, have no concerns about my abilities I hope?”

Everyone else in both boardrooms was silent. Like spectators in a tennis match. A few were silently taking notes.

“No. Definitely not, Ms Kim. I have done my background checks on you. I was pleased to have learnt about your work ethics, the respect you have towards your employees, and the fact that you do honest business. Very admirable, especially for a twenty-five year old.” His expression turned solemn. “If I have learnt anything recently, it is that age is no indicator of honour and reliability. I have learnt that the hard way Ms Kim, as you would already be aware of. So, we are now all here because I place a great deal of trust in you. This company that my grandfather started years ago is more than just a business. I am placing my friends, my family in your hands.”

I clasp my hands together. “It was very unfortunate, what happened to you Mr Hwang. You have the Kim family’s deepest sympathies. Yes, we are interested in purchasing your company.” I flip open the folder Janet gave me earlier. Immediately, folders in both boardrooms are opened hurriedly, pages turned swiftly. A gentle hum of murmuring began. Lawyers and executives confirming facts, checking over sentences.

On the screen, a man in a snazzy pin-striped suit sat forward and importantly cleared his throat. I’m assuming he is their corporate lawyer.  

“Both Hwang Industries and Kim Corporation have agreed on a price of one and a half billion USD.”

Our corporate lawyer also sits forward, eager to do his bit and not be undermined. Although all he does is uncap his pen and scribble something on his notepad. I lean a little forward to peek at what he’s written – the date, he has written down the date. Twice.  Aish.

To be honest all the major elements of the agreement have already been scrutinized by myself and our senior company lawyer, Mr Lim, who is sitting directly to my right, happily sipping his cup of coffee. His demeanour might fool someone who didn’t know him, but Mr Lim has worked for my family ever since I was a child. He has a very sharp mind and never misses a thing.

Snazzy pin-striped suit carries on. “Hwang Industries will become a subsidiary of Kim Corporation. Employees, except senior executives and board members, will retain their jobs and benefits. According to clause 15.3 of the agreement one board member will be transferred to Kim Corporation and –”

“Hold on.” Mr Lim places his cup of coffee down and scans through the documents. “Has this clause been newly added? It isn’t on our copy of the agreement.”

I straighten in my chair. I don’t like the sound of this. “Please, Mr Hwang. If you could kindly explain, what is the meaning of this?”

Everyone turns silent again. Mr Hwang removes his glasses and briefly massages the bridge of his nose. The look he has on his face is of utmost sincerity and it disquiets me slightly.

“Ms Kim, when my grandfather started the company, his every intention was to keep it in the family. Therefore, the company was founded with an iron-clad contract. A very unique one I may add. If Hwang Industries is not run by a member of the family, it states in the contract that the company be liquidated and ceases to exist.”

Mr Lim moves to interject but I signal for him to allow Mr Hwang to continue.

“This we find unacceptable. There are thousands of jobs, families who depend on us. I cannot fail them Ms Kim. I hope you understand that.”

“I understand and I respect that. However, if your company has been legally bound to be run by a member of your family there is nothing I can do.” I won’t lie. I am extremely angered by this. But I reign in my temper. This man is going through hard times.

“Actually Ms Kim, there is a way.” Mr Hwang pulls out a document and hands it to one of his employees. He whispers something and the young man hastily walks out of the room with the piece of paper. “I have just sent one of my workers to fax across a document to you. In the meantime, if you could hear what I have to say.”

This is not going the way I planned. The tension is palpable in both boardrooms. Someone nervously coughs. I wouldn’t be half surprised if a bag of popcorn appeared and was passed around.

Mr Lim retorted “We would need time to look over this new clause, Mr Hwang. Decisions will have to be postponed.”

“Unfortunately Mr Lim we can’t afford the time. Our company can’t hold out much longer. The decision will have to be made today.”

I can’t help but bristle at that statement. “I do not like my hand being forced Mr Hwang.”

“Of course not, Ms Kim. It will be entirely up to you which way the fate of our company goes.” Mr Hwang adds.

Their lawyer continues. “As Mr Hwang said there is a way. If Ms Kim Taeyeon was to marry Mr Hwang’s heir, then Hwang Industries can be successfully be bought over by Kim Corporation.”

Silence. I can hear someone’s stomach gurgling. Another nervous cough. There is a sudden rap on the glass door. A few people jump in their seats. It’s Janet grasping a sheet of paper in her hand, peering into the room. I nod for her to come in. She hands me the document which I place in front of me. Mr Lim looks at it with deep interest.

Their lawyer continues. “That would be the Marriage Agreement contract that you would sign if you choose to continue with purchasing Hwang Industries.”

“So you are asking me to marry your heir?” I say incredulously.

Mr Hwang looks right at me. “I am asking you to save jobs, save families, save their livelihood. You are a good person Kim Taeyeon, I trust you will make the right decision.”

“Who is your heir?” Mr Lim asks.

“My daughter, Stephanie Hwang.”