A Toast Between Men

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few minutes into the dinner and nobody has spoken a word. They glanced at each other from time to time and offered smiles as they chewed, but not anyone dared start a conversation. Min Ho felt a sense of responsibility to make the dinner interesting, seeing as how he was the one who invited Geun Suk. If it had just been him and Shin Hye, they’d have covered so many topics by now.

He wondered why Shin Hye, the common thread between the two and therefore was the person in the best position to lead the dinner conversation, hasn’t said anything. Min Ho suspected she was probably too hesitant to start talking, scared that if she talked to Geun Suk, she could exclude him. On the other hand, if she talked to him, their apparent affection with each other might show, and Geun Suk will either feel left out, or will start asking the awkward questions about their relationship.

Obviously, Geun Suk couldn’t just lead the conversation, being the guest (and well, third wheel). Except Min Ho would have wanted it that way, because now, the burden falls on him to start talking. About what?

‘How’s the food?’ Min Ho turned to Shin Hye. He immediately realized how pathetic that question sounded.

Shin Hye looked at him; it was evident that she was suppressing an amused smile. Yes, I know. It’s lame, but it’s better than awkward silence.

‘It’s good,’ she replied, still half full. Ugh she’s so cute, Min Ho thought. Already, he was regretting having Geun Suk there. If he wasn’t, then he’d have already…

‘What restaurant did you order from?’ Geun Suk asked, breaking his thought.

‘Huh? Ahh,’ Min Ho paused. ‘Uhm, it’s a Chinese restaurant near my pad. I usually order from there when I’m home,’ Min Ho replied. This conversation is still lame.

Geun Suk simply nodded and continued eating. Min Ho locked eyes with Shin Hye.

Min Ho: Why aren’t you talking?

Shin Hye: You invited him, you talk!

Min Ho sighed and racked his brain for something. Anything.

‘Oh, congratulations on your drama, by the way,’ Min Ho told Geun Suk.

Geun Suk stopped eating and looked at him blankly. Then it dawned on Min Ho how that was such a stupid thing to say – especially from him. He forgot… Heirs steamrolled Pretty Man in the ratings. Min Ho panicked and thought of something to remedy his earlier comment. ‘It’s… it’s going to be an international hit, for sure. I mean it’s you,’ he chuckled, a hint of desperation in his voice. Geun Suk still didn’t reply, his expression darkening by the second. ‘You know, ratings aren’t everything,’ he added. Oh my God, why would you say that? What the hell is wrong with you, Lee Min Ho? He frantically looked at Shin Hye for support. She just bit her lip, trying not to laugh.

Geun Suk put down his chopsticks and picked up his napkin. After dabbing it on his lips a few times, he turned to Min Ho with a serious expression. ‘I think I better get going. Thanks for dinner.’

Min Ho opened his mouth to protest, but he didn’t know what to say. Ani, why is he being so sensitive? ‘I’m sorry, Geun Suk-ssi. I, uh…’ he stuttered.

Just then, Geun Suk stifled a laugh before grinning wide. Shin Hye started giggling softly, and soon, Geun Suk was laughing, too. ‘Mianhe,’ he said. ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry, Min Ho. I just… it was funny, your expression just now,’ Geun Suk told him between laughs.

Min Ho didn’t know whether to be relieved or annoyed. He realized it was still his mistake, and anybody could have taken his statements badly. He smiled instead, too embarrassed to laugh with them. Well, at least the atmosphere is better now, he thought.

‘Oppa, gwaenchana? Mian,’ Shin Hye touched Min Ho’s arm lightly. ‘He likes doing that. It’s not funny at all,’ she comforted him. She turned to Geun Suk. ‘Oppa, hajima!’

‘Why did you laugh then?’ Min Ho asked brusquely, pretending to be hurt.

She smiled. ‘Because even if Geun Suk oppa didn’t do that, what you said was still kind of mean,’ she replied.

Min Ho turned to Geun Suk with an apologetic smile. ‘Sorry.’

‘Anya, anya, it’s okay,’ Geun Suk replied, still giggling. ‘No harm done. I was just unlucky my drama had to face yours.’

‘But I meant it when I said it’s going to be an international hit,’ Min Ho clarified. ‘It’s already big in other countries.’

‘Well…’ Geun Suk started to say, ‘it’s not as big as Heirs but it’s doing okay,’ he continued. ‘I think I have to be the one congratulating you on your drama. It was really good.’

Min Ho smiled awkwardly. ‘Thanks,’ he replied. ‘It was the whole production, really. Shin Hye was really great,’ Min Ho looked at her and gave her an adoring smile.

Shin Hye cleared , ‘anya…’ she waved her hand, blushing slightly. Min Ho felt Shin Hye kick his leg gently under the table.

‘Shin Hye is always great,’ Geun Suk replied matter-of-factly.

That statement made Min Ho turn to look at him. He noticed Geun Suk was also giving her a doting look. Okay, I don’t like that face.

‘Sooooo,’ Min Ho said a little too piercingly, ‘what’s next for you?’ He was smiling, but his eyes were definitely sharp.

‘I have a few CFs and photoshoots lined up,’ Geun Suk replied. ‘No drama or film yet though. Still resting. Will probably have a few fanmeetings. You’re shooting a film soon, right?’

‘Yeah. Shin Hye is, too.’ Yes, that’s right. I can speak for her because she’s my girlfriend.

Geun Suk nodded. ‘Great. Good luck to both of you in your films and uhh... in everything else,’ he told them, the last part, a bit hastily.

Min Ho glanced at Shin Hye, who also looked at him at the same time. They both caught the implied meaning of Geun Suk’s words.

‘Thanks,’ Min Ho responded. ‘We appreciate it.’ He knew it was weird to speak for Shin Hye because she and Geun Suk were supposed to be close friends. But he wanted to show him that he was proud of what he and Shin Hye were.

Geun Suk only smirked and held his beer can up. Min Ho took his and clinked it with Geun Suk’s.

A toast between men.

 

‘I’m ready,’ Min Ho said, his eyes steely.

‘Are you sure?’ Geun Suk asked. But to Min Ho, it sounded like a challenge.

‘Just give it to me.’ He wasn’t going to chicken out of this one.

‘Okay, but you might regret it.’

He was taunting him. I’ll show you. ‘I don’t care.’

Shin Hye sighed and shook her head. ‘Can you two stop?’

They ignored her. Geun Suk finally gave Min Ho the glass. As he received it, he studied the light golden color of the liquid. It seemed harmless enough. He gave one last look at an entertained Geun Suk whose hand was now under his chin, fingers drumming his own cheek. Now he’s just being arrogant.

Min Ho took a deep breath and lifted the glass to his mouth. The stench of the alcohol was too strong, he instinctively stopped breathing through the nose. His expression must have changed because Geun Suk’s smile widened slightly. He mentally kicked himself for hesitating for even a second and drank the alcohol confidently. At first it was fine, but after a while, he felt his throat burning. He tried to control his expression and parted his lips wider. He had every intention of finishing the glass even if he had to pour it into his mouth forcibly. He couldn’t quite describe the taste – all he knew was that it was disgusting. After what seemed like forever, he drank the last drop and loudly set the glass on the table.

Geun Suk clapped wildly. ‘YA… LEE MIN HO BOSHTA!’ He cheered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter