Meeting The Family

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye took a deep breath as she studied the exterior of Min Ho’s home. She waited as he unloaded some things from his car, and tried to calm herself down. Her mind was racing, almost as fast as her heart. She hadn’t been this nervous since she first debuted. As a matter of fact, it was a different kind of fear. It crossed her mind that she wouldn’t mind gaining 10,000 anti-fans in exchange for the approval of three people. She bit her lip, telling herself to get rid of useless thoughts. You can do this. You can do this.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, and she looked up to see Min Ho smiling down at her. His gaze was encouraging – but she’d be lying if she says everything was okay now . She was a nervous wreck. Images from last night’s dinner filled her mind; she didn’t realize how terrifying meeting a boyfriend’s family actually was. She suddenly empathized with what Min Ho had to go through.

‘Were you this scared last night?’ She asked him, unable to move from her spot.

Min Ho pursed his lips. ‘Well… I don’t exactly know how you feel right now but last night, my hands were sweating even in the freezing weather and the scene of your Father driving me out of your  family’s restaurant kept playing in my mind as I drove,’ he told her.

Shin Hye crinkled her nose. ‘I think it’s pretty much the same for me.’

He put the bags down and turned to face her, putting both his hands on her waist. ‘Trust me. They are going to love you,’ he said warmly. Shin Hye smiled, but she still felt very uneasy. He her arms and took her hands into his. ‘What got me through last night was knowing you were by my side. I knew that no matter what happened, I wasn’t alone. It’s the same with me. When you’re having a tough time in there, just look at me. I’m not going anywhere.’

‘Ahem.’

They both turned to the side and saw Il Woo walking toward them . Min Ho grimaced. ‘We haven’t even gone in yet but I already know it was a mistake bringing you.’

‘It’s not my fault you’re blocking the pathway,’ Il Woo shrugged. ‘Ya, you two are into each other too much, you didn’t even notice me arrive.’ He shook his head and headed to the door. ‘Aren’t you guys coming in?’

Min Ho looked at Shin Hye and she nodded. They walked to the door, Min Ho still holding her hand.

Il Woo rang the doorbell. Shin Hye breathed in.

After a few seconds, Min Ho’s sister opened the door with a huge smile. Shin Hye opened slightly before bowing. When she looked up, his sister’s smile was gone and she was looking straight at her with a puzzled expression.

‘Noona!’ Il Woo gave her a hug, blocking her view of her. Shin Hye took this chance to exhale, suddenly aware that she was actually holding her breath.

Min Ho’s sister pushed Il Woo aside and looked at Shin Hye again. After a while, she shifted her gaze to Min Ho. Shin Hye looked up in time to see him give her a knowing smile. When Shin Hye looked back at his sister, she had her hand covering .

It’s over. She hates me.

And then his sister put her hand down and broke into a smile, that slowly turned into a grin.

‘No way,’ she said. ‘Daebak.’ Her gaze alternated from Min Ho to Shin Hye several times.

‘That’s what I said, Noona,’ Il Woo interjected.

‘Aren’t you going to let us in? It’s kind of cold out here,’ Min Ho told her.

‘Oh! Sorry,’ his sister said, as if snapping out of a trance. She stepped away from the entrance. ‘Come in, come in.’

Shin Hye noticed that she hasn’t taken her eyes off her. She couldn’t see herself but she knew that she was blushing. As soon as his sister closed the door, Shin Hye turned to her.

‘Annyeonghaseyo. Park Shin Hye imnida,’ she bowed again and smiled.

‘Annyeonghaseyo. Lee Jun Kyung imnida. I’m Min Ho’s noona,’ she smiled back. ‘I didn’t know he was going to bring you, Park Shin Hye-ssi. I’m a fan,’ she stretched out her hand.

Shin Hye took it right away and smiled shyly. ‘Ah, kamsamhamnida.’

‘Oh my God, you sly man!’ She hit Min Ho’s arm. Shin Hye’s eyes widened, taken by surprise. ‘Why didn’t you tell me?’

‘He didn’t tell me either. I just found out this morning,’ Il Woo cut in.

Jun Kyung ignored him and looked at Min Ho expectantly.

‘I couldn’t,’ he replied, raking his hand through his hair. ‘But I’m telling you now…?’ He chuckled.

Jun Kyung clasped her hands together, ‘Omo, I don’t know what to say. This… this is unexpected. But it’s so sweet!’ She looked at Shin Hye. ‘I’m really glad you could come.’

Relief washed over Shin Hye as she bowed again. ‘Thank you for having me,’ she replied softly.

‘I guess I’m going to be invisible the whole day,’ Il Woo spoke again.

‘I told you you shouldn’t have come,’ Min Ho told him teasingly.

‘Mianhe, Il Woo-yah,’ Min Ho’s sister wrapped her arm around his. ‘I know you’re a top star too, but I’m used to you being here all the time that the shock factor is gone,’ she laughed before turning to look at Shin Hye. ‘Shin Hye-ssi on the other hand, well… I’m quite star struck right now. I knew you were pretty but gosh, you’re so much prettier in person,’ she told her warmly.

Shin Hye put a lock of her hair behind her ear. ‘Thank you. Please speak comfortably,’ she replied timidly.

‘Should I?’ His sister beamed. ‘In that case, Shin Hye-ah, call me Jun Kyung eonnie. Anyway, I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of each other now,’ she winked at Min Ho.

Shin Hye nodded her head and smiled. That was a close one. The meeting with Min Ho’s sister was pleasant enough, and Shin Hye became a bit more at ease.

‘Oh my God, you better tell Omma,’ Jun Kyung turned to Min Ho. ‘She’s going to…’ she stopped midsentence and glanced at Shin Hye before talking to Min Ho again. ‘I mean, Omma is in the kitchen. I think Appa is in the dining room. You should greet them,’ she finished. ‘Il Woo-yah, kaja!’ She took Il Woo’s arm and pulled him away, suspecting the two probably needed to talk.

Shin Hye let out another loud sigh and looked up at Min Ho. ‘Your noona is really nice. And very pretty,’ she smiled.

‘I told you everything was going to be fine,’ Min Ho her hand. ‘Come on, it’s time to meet my parents.’

Shin Hye prepared herself and followed Min Ho to the kitchen area. She held on tightly to his hand, afraid that if she let go, all the courage she was able to muster would spill out.

She saw a woman by the stove, her back facing them. They stopped walking by the table and Min Ho cleared his throat loudly. ‘Omma, I’m here.’

His Mother turned around and as soon as she saw them, she wasn't able to speak - her expression, confusing. She just walked toward them, surprise registered on her face. She dropped her gaze to their clasped hands and put a hand on her chest.

Shin Hye panicked so she bowed respectfully. ‘Annyeonghaseyo,’ her voice was weak. When she stood up straight, she saw his Mother’s eyes steadily focused on her. She didn’t know what more to say so she looked at Min Ho anxiously. He looked down at Shin Hye and gave her a compassionate smile before turning to his Mother again.

‘Omma, I want you to meet someone. You already know who she is, but I guess you don’t know how important she is to me yet. This is my girlfriend, Shin Hye.’

Shin Hye’s eyes fluttered and looked back at his Mother again. This time, she had both her hands on her chest, still silent. Shin Hye tried to read the situation, but she couldn’t. She had absolutely no idea what was happening.

Suddenly, Min Ho’s mother took a step forward, and without taking her eyes off her, she smiled slowly. Shin Hye’s heart was beating so fast. HIs Mother reached out for Shin Hye’s other hand and took it into hers.

‘Welcome to our home, Shin Hye-yah,’ she said tenderly. She looked at Min Ho and smiled at him, too.

Shin Hye bit her lip and gave a shy smile.  ‘Thank you for having me,’ she bowed again.

‘Omo, you’re so beautiful,’ his Mother told her as she caressed her hand.

Shin Hye tried to stop the tears that she knew were about to fall. Don’t cry. Don’t cry. ‘Thank you so much,’ her voice was still unsteady.

Min Ho let go of her hand gave his Mother a back hug as he faced Shin Hye. ‘This is my beautiful omma,’ he told her. He gave her a kiss on the cheek. ‘Omma, gumawo.’

She slapped his han

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter