Third Wheel

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho and Shin Hye were sitting inside his parked car by her family’s restaurant. They were still smiling widely, thinking about how the night had gone. Thankfully, Shin Hye’s Father stopped giving him alcohol after the second glass. They had to deal with so many questions from her Mother though, including what they liked about each other, how they got together, what they did last Christmas. She gushed story after story, and almost cried again when Shin Hye told her about the bracelet in the bag. Her Father just sat there, trying not to wince at the cheesiness, and subduing her Mother when she got too emotional.

When Min Ho finally said goodbye, her parents told him to come over to their house on a night when he wasn’t busy. He blushed and promised that as soon as he’s free, he’ll let Shin Hye know.

Inside the car, Shin Hye turned to Min Ho. ‘Thank you, oppa.’

He looked at her and took her hand. ‘For what? I’m the one who should thank you for trusting me enough to let me meet your parents,’ he said warmly. He hadn’t expected her parents’ reaction. He had hoped for it, but he didn’t anticipate it would be so positive.

‘Thank you for saying all those wonderful things,’ she replied, biting her lip. ‘No one has said those about me before.’

He let go of her hand, and turned his body to face her. He lifted his hand and gently touched her cheek with his palm. ‘I want you to know I meant every word.’

‘I still feel like this is a dream sometimes,’ she replied softly. ‘Makes me scared of waking up.’

He put his other hand on her other cheek and placed his face close to hers. ‘This is real. Don’t even think for a second that none of this is true,’ he kissed her forehead before looking at her again. ‘I’m not going anywhere.’

She smiled as he let go, Min Ho sighing happily. ‘Two down, two more to go,’ he said as he put his hands on the steering wheel. ‘When is your photo shoot again?’

Shin Hye looked at him curiously. ‘For Singles Magazine? On Monday. Why?’

‘So you’re free tomorrow?’ He asked.

Shin Hye nodded her head.

‘Whenever my sister and I are free on Sundays, we usually have lunch at our parents’ house. Sometimes, friends come along,’ he told her casually. He saw Shin Hye shift nervously in her seat. He smirked. ‘I’d love for you to meet my family.’

Shin Hye’s mouth opened slightly, bit her lower lip, then smiled awkwardly. ‘I’m nervous.’

Min Ho chuckled. ‘Don’t be. They’re going to love you. So will you come?’

Shin Hye nodded her head. ‘Of course.’ She was smiling widely for a while, until her expression suddenly changed. Min Ho saw her look of worry as she opened the car door.

He held her arm back. ‘Wait. Where are you going?’

‘Me? Back to the restaurant,’ she said hurriedly.

‘Why? I thought we were going to drive around?’

Shin Hye shook her head. ‘That was before you sprung the family lunch on me. I have to get my Mom’s recipe for her chocolate brownies now.’

‘Eh?’

‘I can’t go to your parents’ house empty-handed, can I? And since I can’t go to China on short notice, I will have to just show them my cooking skills.’

Min Ho laughed. ‘How do I know you’re really the one who baked the brownies and not your Mom?’

She scowled. ‘Fine. I’ll bring the ingredients to your place tomorrow morning and bake it there. That way, I can show you, too. Do you have an oven?’

Min Ho’s eyes brightened at the thought of Shin Hye visiting and cooking at his place. ‘My kitchen has everything.’

‘Alright, I’ll see you then. Text me your address. I’ll be careful,’ she gave him a kiss on the cheek before going out hastily.

Min Ho watched her walk back to the restaurant, feeling pleased and excited. He smiled heartily before driving off.

 

When Shin Hye arrived in Min Ho’s building, she quickly made her way up to his place. She was wearing a cap, dark shades and a thick scarf – it was hard to see her face. She also wore an oversized coat that covered most of her clothes. She looked around before ringing the doorbell. Min Ho opened the door, wearing a casual tee and jogging pants, looking like he just came out of the shower. Shin Hye smiled shyly.

‘Good morning,’ she said.

Min Ho grinned and took the plastic bags she brought from her hand. ‘Good morning. Come in.’

She stepped inside and looked around. There were several photos of himself on the walls. There wasn't much stuff, but the place was neat and cozy, something you wouldn’t expect from a bachelor. He had a huge black couch in front of a big flat screen and Shin Hye could picture him spending most of his time there, lounging around, reading his scripts.

‘Shin Hye,’ Min Ho called her from the kitchen. She removed her cap, coat, and sunglasses and walked towards where his voice was coming from. She entered a tidy kitchen where Min Ho was currently looking through the drawers. He was right, the place had everything, but it almost looked untouched.

‘What are you looking for?’ She asked, putting her bag on the counter.

‘Everything you need,’ he replied without looking at her. One by one, he put out all the tools he knew were needed for baking. Shin Hye observed him and felt a sense of pride. This is my man, she told herself, beaming. When everything was done, he looked at the table, seemingly delighted, before meeting her gaze.

It took a while for Shin Hye to speak. ‘Did you eat breakfast already?’

Min Ho puckered his lips and shook his head. Shin Hye chuckled and opened one of the plastic bags on the counter. ‘I thought so. I would have wanted to cook you breakfast here but I might not have enough time,’ she said as she took out the food containers. ‘So I just bought breakfast on the way here. I hope you don’t mind—‘

She didn’t notice Min Ho walk up to her back so she was surprised when she felt him wrap his arms around her waist. He leaned his chin on her shoulder and nuzzled her hair before kissing her neck. Shin Hye winced and giggled. ‘Stop,’ she said playfully, putting her hands on his arms.

‘You have no idea how happy I am right now,’ he whispered softly before he let go and helped her take out the containers.

Shin Hye scrunched her nose and smiled delightfully. She always felt tingly whenever Min Ho does these little gestures. ‘Let’s eat first before I start baking. What time do we leave for your parents’ house?’

He opened one of the containers and put a strawberry in his mouth. ‘We can leave at eleven.’

Shin Hye looked at the clock and nodded. She had plenty of time. They sat down and ate, still talking about the events from last night.

‘How come you told me your Father was going to be difficult?’ Min Ho asked her, picking off a slice of mango from her plate.

Shin Hye tilted her head and thought about it. ‘I don’t know, it just seemed like he would be against it. I guess he’s been brainwashed by my Mom all these years about my need to have a boyfriend,’ she chuckled. ‘Anyway, he told me last night that he liked you. And that you were even more handsome in person.’

‘Chincha?’ Min Ho’s expression perked up. ‘He’s probably imagining how beautiful his grandchildren are going to be,’ he teased.

‘Ya!’ Shin Hye playfully made a stabbing motion with her fork. ‘Keunde… what are your parents like, oppa?’ She asked timidly.

Min Ho put down his fork and leaned his chin on his clasped hands. ‘My Mother is very sweet, but she’s a little shy. My Father is definitely more of the talker between the two of them. They’re both very private people and down-to-earth. Oh, and my Mother thinks you’re beautiful,’ he smiled at her.

She took a deep breath. ‘I hope they like me,’ she looked down and bit her lip.

‘They will,’ he assured her. ‘Don’t you like hold the record for most mothers who love you?’

Shin Hye smiled tentatively. ‘I don’t know about that, but I've been told that I have a huge ahjumma fan base,’ she replied. ‘And yeah, I guess I heard that some of my male friends’ mothers like me and want me to be their daughter-in-law,’ she continued, giving Min Ho a sideway glance.

‘Aish.’ Min Ho scowled and crossed his arms. ‘I feel like making you write a list again… of all the mothers who think that.’

She laughed. ‘No more lists! Besides, I only want to please one Mother anyway,’ she winked at him.

When Shin Hye was done eating, she stood up and looked at the bowls and the equipment on the table. She also started unpacking the ingredients. Min Ho cleared the breakfast containers and watched her work. She frowned when she realized something was missing.

‘Oppa, do you have aluminum containers? Like, uhh, an aluminum tray?’

‘I don’t think so,’ he replied. ‘Why? Do you need that?’

Shin Hye pouted and nodded her head. ‘I should have bought some last night.’ She put her palm on her forehead. ‘Ugh. I’m so forgetful.’

Min Ho stood up straight. ‘I can buy those,’ he told her. ‘As long as I know what it looks like.’

Shin Hye looked at him, concerned. ‘Are you sure? I mean I know you can buy them, it’s just… it’s a hassle and well, shopping isn’t really

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter