Another Step

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 2, 2014. A series of text messages.

Shin Hye: Oppa, I woke up today with the worst headache. I hope you slept better than I did. :( Good morning!

Min Ho: Are you kidding? I had to take two cold showers last night. I didn’t sleep a wink. Thought about you a lot. Kkk. If you have a headache, you should rest. Don’t make me worry about you. :(

Shin Hye: As soon as this meeting is over, I will. Don’t worry. :)

Shin Hye: Wait. Cold shower? Why?

Min Ho: It’s a guy thing. Just forget I said anything.

Shin Hye: That was awkward. I just asked Joon oppa why guys take cold showers… =/

Min Ho: …

Shin Hye: Does it work on women, too?

Min Ho: I’m not sure. ….why? Heol. You’re being naughty. *wink*

Shin Hye: I was only asking. -_-

Min Ho: Because you’re curious or because you needed a cold shower, too? Kkkkkkk

Shin Hye: >_<

Shin Hye: No schedule today?

Min Ho: Just meetings. I probably won’t be able to contact you in a few hours. Don’t be paranoid this time. I just have to make money for our future.

Shin Hye: Don’t work too hard!

Min Ho: You, too. <3

After three hours…

Min Ho: I hope you’re resting now.

Shin Hye: Not yet. Still stuck at the agency. Our meeting got pushed to this afternoon. Headache is gone though. Still feeling a little under the weather.

Shin Hye: I wish you were here. :(

Min Ho: Do you want me to come? I can bring you coffee.

Shin Hye: Huhu. I wish you could. :(

Min Ho: I just might!

Shin Hye: And get caught by our president? That’s a good idea.

Min Ho: Alright, I’m coming.

Shin Hye: Andwe!

Min Ho: Just kidding. Still stuck in a meeting, too. I’m learning about martial arts from a guy, but it’s making me sleepy. He keeps talking about the same things over and over.

Shin Hye: You’re in a meeting?! Stop texting me right now. I won’t reply anymore.

Min Ho: Texting you is the only thing keeping me awake.

Min Ho: Ya! Don’t stop texting.

Min Ho: If you don’t reply I’m really going to walk out of this meeting and go to your agency!

Min Ho: Are you texting another man?!

Min Ho: Shin Hye-ah… :(

Shin Hye: You have to make money for our future, remember? Now pay attention. :)

Min Ho: So you’re spending your future with me? NO TAKE BACKS.

Shin Hye: I'm really not gonna reply anymore.

Min Ho: Arasso. I’ll call you later. :(

 

When the meeting was over, Min Ho could barely keep his eyes open. He wanted to take a nap so he told his manager he was going home. While driving, he passed by the coffee shop where Shin Hye bought coffee for the two of them the night they finally got together. He pondered and weighed the pros and cons of what he was tempted to do.

He turned the corner and parked in front of the shop. This is crazy. With his cap and sunglasses on, he stepped out of his car and walked hurriedly inside. Thankfully, no one noticed him, except for the cashier. Her face lit up as soon as she saw him, but he smiled at her and put his index finger in front of his mouth. She looked around and nodded, understanding that he didn’t want to be seen. He ordered coffee right away and went back inside. Putting the cups in the passenger seat, he dialled Shin Hye’s number.

‘Yobuseyo?’ Her sweet voice woke him up.

‘Are you still at the agency?’ He asked.

‘Yeah. The meeting is in an hour,’ she replied. ‘I’m just waiting with Joon oppa. Is your meeting over?’

‘Not yet, we just took a break,’ he lied. He was thinking of a way to ask her where her agency’s address was without being too obvious. ‘I never knew where your agency was. Ours is in Shinsadong. It’s rather small. Do you have a big building?’

‘Anya, it’s just one floor. In Cheongdamdong,’ she replied.

‘Ahh. Anyway, I gotta go. I think I’m needed now. I’ll just text you later.’

‘Arasso, oppa. Bye!’

As soon as Shin Hye hung up, Min Ho searched for SALT entertainment’s Cheongdamndong address on his phone. After a few minutes of driving, Min Ho arrived in front of the building. When he pulled over, he was faced with another problem. How do I give this to her? He cursed himself for being reckless again. This was by far the riskiest thing he’s done that he considered just leaving. But since he was already there, it was worth a shot. He dialled again.

‘Oppa? I thought you were in a meeting,’ Shin Hye asked curiously when she picked up.

‘Uhm. Don’t get mad,'

‘Eh? Why would I get mad?’

‘I did something stupid,’ he replied. When Shin Hye didn’t answer right away, he continued. ‘I’m outside.’

‘Outside of what?’ She asked.

‘Outside of your building.’

‘MEO?’ He can feel Shin Hye panicking even over the phone. She whispered nervously. ‘Oppa, what were you thinking?’

‘I just wanted to give you coffee. And…see you for a bit.’ he said.

‘Are you in your car?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Alright, I’m coming out,’ she told him before hanging up.

After a short while, Min Ho saw Shin Hye exit the building and walk as fast as she can to the car. When she opened the door, she lifted the coffee cups from the passenger seat and sat down. ‘Oppa, drive to the next block. Palli!’

Min Ho did as he was told and drove a considerable distance from her agency. When he stopped the car, he turned to Shin Hye who narrowed her eyes at him. He broke into an apologetic smile, while Shin Hye hit his arm.

‘Ya! You’re not Cha Eun Sang anymore!’ He rubbed the area she hit.

‘You’re not Kim Tan either! Why are you acting like a teenager? You know this is dangerous, oppa,’ she told him, as she looked around.

‘I miss you. I keep missing you. I can't control that, you know,’ he said, pouting. ‘I just wanted to bring you coffee because you said you wanted me to,’ he continued.

Shin Hye sighed. ‘I miss you, too. But this is risky.’

‘I promise I’ll be more careful next time.’

‘Anyway, thanks for the coffee, oppa.’ she said, smiling. ‘How come you bought three?’

‘It’s for you, for me, and your manager.’

Shin Hye tilted her head. ‘That’s sweet, but he’s going to wonder who it came from.’

‘Then tell him it’s from me.’

Shin Hye laughed. ‘I’ll tell him it’s from Geun Suk oppa.’

‘AISH!’

'I’ll just tell him a friend bought it.’

Min Ho scratched his head and looked pensive. ‘I’ve been thinking about it… and I think we should date openly,’ he said carefully.

‘EH?’ Shin Hye’s eyes widened. ‘What are you talking about?’

‘I mean, let's be open to the people close to us,’ he clarified. ‘I don’t think we can keep sneaking out like this. And besides, I don’t like lying. Do you?’ He asked.

Shin Hye looked into his eyes and shook her head. ‘I hate lying.’

‘So…let’s come clean. And didn’t we agree we will tell our managers as soon as the holidays are over?’

Shin Hye nodded her head before shooting him a shocked look. ‘Wait. You mean now? Are we telling my manager about us now?'

Min Ho shook his head. 'Anya, not now. We'll tell them as soon as we’re done telling the people who matter most.’

 

 

Shin Hye pulled over and breathed. Everything will be fine. She looked at her watch and saw that it was still early. She had 2 hours to calm herself down before dinner.

As soon as she strode into their family’s restaurant, she saw her Mother by the cashier’s. Her face lit up when she saw her.

‘Oh, sweetheart! I thought you were busy; what are you doing here?’ Her Mother asked as she walked to her.

‘Omma,’ Shin Hye gave her a hug and smiled. ‘I came to visit. Where’s appa?’

‘Oh, he’s in the back. We have new waiters so he’s just giving them a briefing,’ she gazed at Shin Hye’s face and traced a lock of her hair behind her ears. ‘You look dolled up, did you come from a schedule?’

‘No, I just… uh, omma, did anybody reserve the private room tonight?’

‘Tonight? I don’t think so. Why? Are more of your friends coming over for dinner? The other night, you were with Heechul and that other idol, weren’t you? What was it? Mblaq? Exo? Anya, it was… Inf… what was it? There are so many idol groups nowadays…’

‘Infinite, omma. Infinite,’ she cut her off. ‘And no—I mean yes, someone’s coming,’ she stuttered. ‘Keunde omma… can you and appa join us for dinner?’

Her Mom studied her face and she knew that her Mom knew something was up. ‘Why? Are they important guests?’

She bit her lip. ‘Sort of.’

‘Okay, I’ll tell your appa. Who is coming? Do I need to get dressed up? I can’t be looking shabby in front of important guests,’ her Mom looked at her clothes and fixed her hair.

‘No need, omma. You look great,’ she replied.

‘Arasso. You sit tight, I have some stuff to do in the kitchen,’ her Mother smiled at her before walking away.

She took out her phone as soon as her Mother was out of sight. It’s been two days since they decided to tell the people closest to them about their relationship. They only have a few days left before they get really busy with their schedules, and it was perfect that they were able to squeeze this night in. She sent Min Ho a message.

Shin Hye: Oppa, I’m here. What time are you coming?

Min Ho: I’ll be there in an hour and thirty minutes. How’s the atmosphere?

Shin Hye: Omma is in a good mood. I don’t know about appa though. I haven’t seen him yet. I’ll update you as soon as I know.

Min Ho: Arasso. Ottoke? I’m so nervous! =/

Shin Hye: Me, too.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter