The Problem with Sleep

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho tossed and his bed. He should be sleeping – he was due early on set the next day, their last filming for the drama. But there were so many things running through his mind that despite his exhaustion, he really couldn’t drift off to sleep. He sat up, and reached for the lamp on his bedside table and turned it on. He looked at his phone and saw that it was already 2 A.M. and he only had three hours left to sleep. He sighed and got up from his bed.

He headed to the kitchen for some water but as soon as he saw his refrigerator, his stomach grumbled. He opened it and found that he had nothing edible left inside. Most of the food had gotten spoiled from being kept for too long. He opened the cabinet where he keeps his packs of instant ramen but found out that there were none left. He silently cursed his manager who probably ate half of his stash.

Min Ho thought about making a quick run to the convenience store nearby, but realized that it might be too freezing at that hour. Eventually, he gave up on eating anything and proceeded to lie on the couch.

Suddenly, he remembered something that was given to him that afternoon. He cussed at himself for forgetting about it. The whole day’s schedule was so hectic he easily forgets most things that happen. He got up quickly and dialled his manager’s number. After a few rings, he picked up.

‘Ya, ima! It’s 2 A.M! What’s wrong? Did you get in trouble? You’re not at a police station, are you?’

‘Hyung, where did you put the food that Shin Hye gave me earlier?’

‘Food? Ah, the side dishes? They’re in a brown bag. I placed it with the other bags near the shoe rack. Ya, I told you about it when we got home. Were you not listen--‘

‘Gumawo, hyung.’ Min Ho cut off the call and walked to the shoe rack by the door. He spotted the brown bag, grabbed it, and walked to the kitchen again. One by one, he laid out the plastic containers on the table. He smiled, remembering how Shin Hye had given it to him.

 

Min Ho was about to change out of his tux when Shin Hye knocked on the door of the dressing room. She was still wearing the lace dress from the ‘future’ shoot. Min Ho still couldn’t get over how beautiful she looked. He then remembered the sweet kiss they just shot. When he realized it was probably going to be the last kiss they’ll ever share, his heart suddenly felt heavy. But he still smiled when she walked into the room.

‘Oppa… uh... sorry to bother you. I, uh, I came to give you something,’ she stammered.

Min Ho noticed that she was hiding a bag behind her back. ‘Oh no, are you giving me a goodbye present so soon? I’m not ready for this,’ he shook his head as he motioned to the bag.

‘Anya, anya! It’s not that. It’s actually… it’s not from me,’ she replied, smiling awkwardly. ‘It’s…from my Mom.’

Min Ho’s eyes widened. From her Mom? Out of the blue, he felt burdened, even without knowing what it was. He looked at Shin Hye’s expression and thought she seemed equally as burdened.

‘I tried to tell her that she didn’t have to, but she really insisted. My Mom can be very persuasive, and well, she’ll kill me if I don’t give this to you. She felt bad about the article that came out about, uhm, my Dad not liking our, uh… skinship in the drama,’ she bit her lip as she struggled for more words. ‘She really, really likes Kim Tan. I think she’s more in love with him than Eun Sang is,’ she chuckled. ‘So, don’t feel burdened at all, she really just wanted to make you these.’

She stretched out her hand to give him the bag.

Min Ho didn’t know what to say. ‘Oh? Wow. Uh, she didn’t have to, seriously,’ he said as he opened the bag. ‘What is this?’

‘Those are side dishes that she prepared herself. There’s kimchi and soft tofu with soy chili sauce and lots of other stuff. She told me to tell you that she thinks you’re getting skinnier and you should eat more. Sorry, she can also be a bit tactless. Don’t shoot the messenger?’ She raised her hands in surrender.

‘Wow. Just… wow. I don’t know what to say. I mean, thank you, Shin Hye. Thank your Mom for me. Wow,’ he couldn’t stop looking at the bag. He was really touched by the gift and suddenly remembered his own Mom who he hasn’t seen in a while. He looked at Shin Hye and she was smiling widely. His heart lurched at the sight of her looking so pleased.

‘I’ll tell her. She really loves you,’ she replied. ‘And sorry that my Dad doesn’t love you as much.’

Min Ho laughed. ‘If Eun Sang was my daughter, I wouldn’t love Kim Tan either,’ he snapped back. ‘But seriously, thank you. This means a lot, really. I wish I could thank her in person.’

‘Eh? Uh… anya, you might regret it. She’ll probably just gush all over you like a fan girl. I think she likes you more than she likes me. It’s very embarrassing,’ she laughed.

‘No, I’d love to meet her.’ He thought about what he was saying and for a moment tried to forget his pact to himself. The drama was almost over, which means soon enough, he will have to deal with the one issue that has been brewing the entire production. Thinking about how great a girl Shin Hye is, he suddenly felt a real desire to meet her Mom.

‘Chincha? Oh, uh… I’ll tell her, oppa. She’ll probably ask me to set a date fast,’ s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter