The Choice

The LEE Family

He softly knocked on the door and when he heard his brother's permission to enter he silently walked inside the nursery. He looked at his hyung who was sitting on a rocking chair feeding one of his babies. He then took a chair and sat in front of his hyung. Jangwoo looked at him and seeing how troubled he is, checked the baby if she was sleeping and when Jangwoo saw that she was, he gently put her on her crib and tucked her in. Luckily the other baby was sleeping soundly on the other crib. He then went to the music player and played the babies lullaby (a.k.a. Hongki and Jonghyun's recorded songs.)

He then sat back on the rocking chair and looked at Jaejin who was sitting in front of him with his head resting on his arms. Jangwoo then pats his back and Jaejin sat up straight and looked at his hyung. Jangwoo waited for his brother to talk. He knew Jaejin's the smartest in the family and he also knows that when Jaejin's bothered, it is a big thing.

Jaejin then looked at his brother and tried to smile but sadly, a tear fell from his eye instead but he didn't bother to wipe it away. He then took a deep breath and began telling his brother his problem. Jangwoo listened attentively and silently with his brother's story. Soon Jaejin finished and Jangwoo sat back and gently rocked the chair.

"So hyung, what do you think?" Jaejin asked.

"Can I ask if you still have lingering feelings for Nicole?" Jangwoo asked back. Jaejin leaned back on his chair and looked around the room as if thinking. He then said,

"When I saw her the first time she came back, I was shocked and at the same time I was really happy. I really missed her. But then somehow when I remembered Suzy, there was a tinge of regret. I don't know why I felt that way but there was definitely A TINGE of regret. Then when Nicole called and invited me to see her I really wanted to go and see her. Suzy was right, I'm not stupid. I know she doesn't want me to meet with Nicole but since she gave me the right to decide, I decided on what I want and not with she wants. I know it's selfish and you know that I'm not a selfish person. But somehow, I know I'll regret it if I will turn down Nicole. I really want to meet with her badly.

"Honestly hyung, I chose to ignore IU's calls. I know why she's calling and I intentionally muted my phone so that I won't be disturbed. But of course I didn't expect the depth of the damage until I saw the number of missed calls and her texts. I thought I can just appease Suzy after the Nicole meeting but I was dead wrong. I was so wrong, but I don't want to lose her hyung. I do love Suzy."

Jangwoo then looked at his brother and leaned towards Jaejin, "You know you really didn't answer my question. I'll ask again. Do you still have feelings for Nicole?" Jangwoo insisted.

Jaejin then looked at his hyung's eyes and said, "I guess I do."

Jangwoo again leaned back on his chair and closed his eyes. He knew Jaejin's in deep trouble unless he comes to a conclusion himself. He then opened his eyes and said, "I think you should accept Suzy's gift and spend time with Nicole."

"I should do what hyung?" Jaejin asked confused.

"Spend time with Nicole and settle things with her. Suzy's right. You two have some unfinished business and unless you finish or push through it with Nicole, you have no right going back to her. I do admire that girl. She wants you to come to terms with your feelings with Nicole. She's willing to give you time alone with her so that you'll know if you still love Nicole or not. Take this gift and please do think of what you really want." Jangwoo advised.

"But hyung, if I do that, I might realize that I'm in love with Nicole and I don't want to lose Suzy." Jaejin blabbered.

"You're not making any sense boy. You're scared to know if you're still in love with Nicole because you don't want to lose Suzy? You were wrong earlier, YOU are one SELFISH person." Jangwoo emphasized.

"Hyung, I love Suzy and I don't want to lose her. But I too know that I still have feelings for Nicole. I thought I was over her but I was wrong. I was so happy earlier with her. Time flies with her. I enjoy her company. It was just like before. It's as if nothing happened and she didn't left." Jaejin tried to explain.

"All the more you need to spend time with Nicole. Don't waste Suzy's gift. She gave it to you because she wants to know where she really stands with you. Don't think of Jieun, I'll take care of her. Just spend time with Nicole and analyze yourself and know what you really want." And as soon as Jangwoo said this, one of the twins began to cry as if telling Jaejin that his conversation with her Appa is over. Jaejin then stood up and thanked his hyung who was then picking up his daughter.

 

The next day, Jaejin called Seohyun and the two met at the playground.

"So I was right. Nicole did tell you want she wants." Seohyun said as soon as Jaejin told her the happenings of the day before.

"You knew why she came back?" Jaejin asked.

"Yup. She even asked my help and Yoona's to get you back. I also heard that she even asked IU to help." Seohyun then smiled at him. "That's Nicole for you. She really does things beyond your expectations."

"What do you think I should do Joohyun?" Jaejin was really hoping that Seohyun can help him with that question.

"I think you should follow Jangwoo Oppa's suggestion." Seohyun answered.

Jaejin then looked at Seohyun accusingly. "Are you saying this because you're helping Nicole or because it's what you really think I should do?"

Seohyun smiled at her bestfriend and patted his hand. "I'm saying this because Oppa was right. You should really know what you feel. Though it's a short time but still it's time and Suzy was generous enough to give it to you. It's either you finish it with Nicole cleanly or get back with her and finish it with Suzy. Either way, you can't have both. You're bound to lose one."

 

As soon as Jaejin got home, he went straight to his room and pondered more on Seohyun and Jangwoo's suggestion. A little while later, he heard a knock on his door and IU peeked in. He then smiled at his sister and invited her to go in.

IU then sat in his bed and said, "I just had a talk with Suzy."

"She's reachable now? Her phone is on? I can call her?" Jaejin asked with much anticipation.

IU then looked at her brother and said, "I can always reach her anytime I want. You had that right before but not right now and I suggest you refrain from trying because you'll definitely fail. But let's not talk about that."

"Then what did she tell you? Can I know that information instead?" Jaejin hopefully asked.

"She told me not to hate you. She told me not to get angry if you ever decided to spend time with Nicole unnie. She said she understand Nicole unnie because you're such a special person." IU said with sarcasm. "She said she wants you to be happy and to be with the person you want to be. And lastly, I'm not supposed to tell you this but she told me that if ever you've decided to choose Nicole unnie, I should tell her ahead of time so that she can process her transfer. And if ever this happens, I can't promise you that I won't hate you. No pressure though oppa." With that IU stood up and without looking back, left Jaejin with his thoughts.

 

That evening, Jaejin knocked at Hongki's door. Fortunately Jonghyun was also there.

"Yo bro, I've heard that you're torn between two lovers lately. So who do you think you will choose?" Hongki asked directly.

Jonghyun then smiled at his twins comment. Leave it to Hongki to make the most tactless questions.

"Hyung, my gut tells me to choose Suzy but until I'm completely over Nicole, I don't think she'll have me back." Jaejin answered.

"I think you should follow hyung's advise then." Jonghyun blurted.

"How did you know about that?" Jaejin was surprised to know that Jonghyun knew about it.

"Let's just say that there were two pairs of twins who were listening to you last night?" Hongki answered instead.

"Both of you were eavesdropping on us last night?" Jaejin doesn't know if he should just whack some sense in his hyungs skulls. "I'm not surprised that Hongki hyung will do this but Jonghyun hyung? Really? You were there too? That is so beneath you hyung." Jaejin told Jonghyun.

"Yah what do you mean by that? Do you want to die? And for your information, it was Jonghyun's idea to eavesdrop not mine." Hongki madly stated.

"But why would you guys do that in the first place?" Jaejin asked.

"Because we're also concerned. Honestly, we like the Jaejin-with-a-girl effect on you. You're fun when you have a girl with you. After Nicole left, you were like an empty shell. You were so boring but when Suzy came, you became more fun again. Both girls have good effects on you, so whoever you choose, we will support you." Jonghyun told Jaejin.

 

Early the next day, Jaejin dialled Nicole number and an hour after that the two met in their Ice Cream Shop.

After a while of talking Nicole said, "So you mean Suzy left for Japan so you can spend more time with me? I really thought that she's a smart girl. I guess I was wrong."

Jaejin then looked at her dumbfounded. "What do you mean by that Nicole?"

"I mean she shouldn't have done that. I came here to get you back. If she was smart she should've prevented us from meeting each other. It's either she's stupid or she's underestimating me but either way I'm getting you back." Nicole declared confidently.

Jaejin just shook his head. He knows how Nicole can be so arrogant at times and it's one of the reasons why he liked her. But now hearing her saying things about Suzy makes him mad in some way but still he decided to go with the plan.

So for three days straight the two were inseparable. They went everywhere. Visited every tourist spot Seoul has to offer. Ate at every restaurant they want and went to amusement parks. Jaejin admits that he's having a good time but still something is lacking. He just can't pinpoint what it is.

As for Nicole, she knew she should grab this opportunity to make Jaejin fall in love with her again. If not as deep as before but even deeper where no one can come in between them ever again. She was at her best everyday. She became the most fun person in the world literally. But somehow at the end of the day she knew she still needs to do better for she can't have Jaejin all to herself even if they were alone.

He was there with her but not really there. From time to time he will check his phone. The sadness and disappointment will appear everytime he does that. Nicole even suggested to leave their phones on the third day and much to her delight he indulged her. But that was just a fleeting happiness for she was not really prepared for what had happened later that day.

 

They were having the time of their lives. They decided to go shopping that afternoon. She was even excited when she heard that her favorite group was promoting on that same mall that day. She convinced Jaejin to "peek" with the group and what surprised her was that Jaejin personally knew the group.

Blue Island was promoting their new album that day. As soon as Jungshin and Minhyuk saw him, he and Nicole were given staff ID's that almost made Nicole die out of happiness. Jaejin then saw Shinhye waiting for Wonbin and brought Nicole to join her.

"You're Nicole right?" Shinhye asked as soon as they sat beside her.

"Yes Shinhye unnie. I just came back two weeks ago. How are you? Are you related to one of these handsome men?" Nicole asked.

"As a matter of fact, the lead vocalist is my boyfriend. You didn't tell her that Jaejin?" Asked Shinhye.

"No I didn't. I didn't know she likes this group at all." Jaejin said.

"Why Lee Jaejin, are you jealous?" Nicole teased but Jaejin kept silent and was looking at one of the members of the group.

An hour later the program was finished and Nicole was introduced to the members of Blue Island.

"Nicole, meet my boyfriend Oh Wonbin, lead vocalist of Blue Island." Shinhye said. Nicole bowed and so does Wonbin. Wonbin then introduced his bandmates to Nicole whose smile was so wide a whole papaya can fit it.

Just then Nicole saw that Jaejin was going with Seunghyun the guitarist of the band. She stealthily went near the two and listened to their conversation.

"Hyung, is this the girl that made Suzy cry so hard that day?" Seunghyun asked Jaejin.

Jaejin was shocked with Seunghyun's question. "What do you mean? Were you there that day too?" He asked the younger man.

"Hyung, have you forgotten that we go to the same school? Your sister, Minhwan, Suzy and I are all part of the same club. I was there when she was crying. I hated myself that day. I should've tried harder to have her but I respected you. I thought you were a nice guy. But seeing you having the time of your life with another girl now and that this might cause the girl I like to cry, makes me want to beat the crap out of you. I'm telling you now, I will make her forget you." Seunghyun warned him. He then turned his back on him but Jaejin pulled him back and said, "Don't you lay your dirty hands on Suzy. She's still my girlfriend."

Just then the two boys heard a loud gasp. Both looked at the source and true enough Nicole heard everything. Jaejin then walked away from Seunghyun and pulled Nicole and dragged her. Tears began to flow from Nicole's eyes but she didn't even try to hide them. Soon they were on the rooftop of the building and finally Jaejin let go of her hand.

"Do you really love her that much Jaejin?" Nicole asked in between sobs. Jaejin was silent as a tomb so Nicole continued on. "Then what was this past three days to you?" Still Jaejin was not talking.

"For crying out loud Jaejin, talk to me." Nicole ordered. Jaejin then looked at her in the eye and said, "I'm sorry."

"No. Don't say you're sorry. I don't even want to hear that word from you right now." Nicole was in denial.

"Then what do you want me to tell you?" Jaejin asked. Nicole doesn't know what to say. She walked back and forth in front of Jaejin then finally she stopped and looked at him.

"This past three days were my most happiest day in a long time. I've loved every minute we spent together. I know you still feel something for me or else you won't enjoy the days as much as I did." Nicole said with much hope.

Jaejin then smiled at her and took her both of her hands and looked at them. "I did enjoy this past few days. I confess it's one of my best times. I realized how much I missed you." Nicole then smiled back at him. "But, I also realized that I was having so much time because you're still my most valued friend. I still love you Nicole but only as a friend. I am in love with Suzy now. I miss her so much. Everyday when we go out and have fun I realized that I miss her more that I would be happier if she was here." Nicole then released his hands.

"I'm sorry Nicole. I don't want to hurt you but now I can finally say that I'm over you. True, we might still be together if I was able to make us official before you left but it didn't happen and while you were gone I found another person to love. Right now, all I want to do is ride the next airplane to Japan and bring her back before that Seunghyun can do anything." Jaejin said sympathetically.

Tears from Nicole's eyes flow like rain. She tried to stop it but she can't she was in too much pain. She really loves Jaejin with all her heart but she's a smart girl and she knows when to stop. She then tried to give Jaejin a smile and said, "I'm sad to hear that you're over me. I know much of this is my fault. I left abruptly and I didn't even tried to communicate with you all these years. I was so busy proving to my parents that I'm a responsible person so they can allow me to live here that I forgot to do the most important thing and that is to clear my intentions with you.

"Suzy is such a lucky girl. I do hope that someday we could be friends. Stop making her cry now. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine… soon. Please go. I want to stay away from you right now." Nicole begged.

Jaejin then hugged her and she began to cry hard. "I'm really sorry." He said then he let her go. Just as he was leaving he dialled Seohyun's number and told her what happened and asked her to go to Nicole and comfort her. He then hailed a taxi and hurried home.

 

As soon as Jaejin reached their house, he ran towards IU's room and without knocking opened the door and was so surprised to see his sister and Minhwan making out. He was about to punch Minhwan but IU was faster than him and was able to shield her boyfriend from him. "What are you doing here oppa? Don't you know how to knock?" IU shouted at her brother.

"You… you… you…" Jaejin stuttered.

"Hyung, I'm sorry. You know what I feel for your sister. I really love her. You know that right. I will never disgrace her I promise." Minhwan kneeled and begged.

"Oh stop that Minhwan. Stand up. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm a big girl now and he's the one at fault. He shouldn't have entered without knocking." IU shot Jaejin an accusing look. "And why are you here oppa?" IU asked.

But Jaejin was still mad so instead of plain talking he was shouting, "Because I've ended everything with Nicole and I want to go to Japan right now and bring Suzy back!!!" He exclaimed.

IU then threw herself on her brother and hugged him and jumped up and down. Somehow this movement made Jaejin simmer down his anger and a smile began to form from his lips.

"What do you want me to do oppa? How can I help?" IU asked.

"For starters, you can tell me the address of where she's staying. You Minhwan on the other hand get us tickets for Japan." Jaejin ordered.

"Us hyung?" Minhwan was quite confused.

"Yes. Us. You, me and IU. I need both of your help to get her back. I give you my word that I will overlook what I saw earlier if I get her back." Jaejin said.

"I'm on it hyung." Minhwan eagerly said and sat himself in IU's chair and began booking flights for the three of them.

IU then asked him, "Are you really over unnie? Are you sure now?"

"Yes. I am 100% sure now. So let's get her back?" He asked his sister.

"Lets." IU agreed.

"But we need to bring some things and the twins." Jaejin then said.

 

Exactly after four hours…

Suzy woke up and saw her oppa sitting beside her bed.

"Hello oppa. Why are here? Is something wrong?" Suzy asked.

"Nothing's wrong now. Everything will be fine from now on." Her brother mysteriously said. "By the way Suzy, something came for you earlier. It's in the garden. It's quite big."

"What is it?" She asked.

"Just go there and see for yourself."

Suzy then hurriedly ran to their gardens and she was so shocked with what she see.

There in the middle of their garden sat Minhwan on his Cajun, IU with her guitar, Jonghyun with his guitar, Hongki and Jaejin with his bass and they began to play.

We don't say goodbye anymore

If you act strong, force yourself and endure it
Your heart will break.
If you want to cry, then it is ok to cry
Those tears will fade away in your sleep

It's already a good night, so good night
It is good night for today
All the he pain and loneliness
Everything is my fault
To touch you, to hold you, Only by doing that
I forgot about the days I thought I was happy

If I beg you and is not told what I want to hear
That will still not explain anything
After all, if I give up, I will surely someday end up blaming you
Ah, Why?

If you cannot live without being hurt
If you cannot live without hurting anyone
Nothing will go well

You won't be enough if you just dream
Just to love isn't like me
Isn't that so?
What should I do about this contradiction?

But for sure, yes for sure
If we pass by each other, if we meet, if we chase after each other
If I stop holding your hand
I cannot manage to think that it is over
I will still continue to look for a change in your heart

Stay with you
Stay forever

I will not let go of you again.

Stay

It's already good night, so good night
It is good night for today
You don't have to worry anymore
I will be by your side from now until forever
Like this I snuggled up against you and started to forget
In that warmth I close my eyes and go back to the days of the two of us

Suzy can't still believe what she's seeing. She just stood there shocked. As the song finished, IU, Minhwan and the twins walked away from Jaejin and Suzy and went inside Suzy's house. Jaejin just stared at her and she staring back. Soon Suzy found her voice.

"Why are you here oppa?"

"To bring you back."

"Should I go back?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because if you don't, I'd stay here with you and I don't Jieun will like that."

"What about Nicole?"

"It's over between us. I told her I love you Suzy and I just want her to be my friend."

"Is it really over oppa?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay. Let's go back."

"Wait!"

"What?"

"I love you Suzy."

"I love you too Oppa."
 

A/N: Two updates in a week... I've decided to finish this arc in the story because I'm planning to end this series soon. I have one last story to tell and that's Hongki's. I'm still formulating his storyline and I hope that I'd be able to give him a good one. Some might think that this is a bit rushed because it is but I don't want Suzy to wait longer. Jaejin knows what he feels and wants from the beginning, he was just making it clearer. Nicole special to him because she's not just someone he loved but they were best friends and this is the reason why he enjoys her company. By the way credits to okamikami @ happyislandsubs for the translations of FTISLAND''s STAY. I really love this song. One of my favorites. Unfortunately the video was deleted in youtube.

Please people leave some love... Comments please...