-08

Take My Breath Away

Chapter Eight
"Trust me, it's not just going to be you and me."

 

4th of March 2014

 

 

"Why are you so happy?" Lay asked Kai who was literally grinning through out the whole day - it was freaking him out so much, that he had to ask. Kai's lips formed a small 'o' before turning over to look at Lay who was sitting on his left in the hall, "What?"

Lay smirked at Kai's oblviousness, "Did you get laid?"

With the wiggling of Lay's eyebrows, Kai shoved him aside playfully, "Dude! What the hell?"

Lay laughed a little, fixing his shirt before the two of them calmed down from the small laughter as well as trying to keep low from the lecturer who was talking away in the front. "Then hand out some answers - what's up?"

Kai shrugged as if he was so innocent, when in his mind, there was something going on in there. Something that only he wishes to keep for himself and at this moment, Lay was being very observant as he could to gain any information. "Nothing. What makes you think there's something?"

A glare was received from Lay to Kai but that only made Kai grin even wider at the boring look that soon developed that he got from Lay. "I just have really good news, alright?" Kai gave up, sighing a little at the end and Lay took that the wrong way as he straightened his posture on his seat, shifting closer towards Kai. Lay's hand enclosed around Kai's arm to tug him over, "Is there a girl that I should be meeting?"

Kai couldn't help but let out a soft laugh, shoving Lay away with a huge grin, "No!" He half-whispered, half-shouted to his friend who could only glare at Kai slightly, not letting go of this matter so easily. "Kai, I swear to God, if you banged a girl and you got her pregnant-"

"Dude! I didn't hook up with some girl!"

"Then what is it?!"

"I-!"

"Mr. Kim and Mr. Zhang!" A sharp voice shot through their ears, making them freeze in their seats as well as gaining a number of people to look over their shoulders just to look at the two boys at the end of the hall with the teacher sending a cold glare in their way. Of course, the two of them gave a meek nod, a small word of apology before sinking back into their seat with their lips sealed. Kai, however, managed to catch a glimpse of a pair of eyes that were locked onto his just before she looked away from him. He smiled a little, focusing on the back of her head where he muttered softly, "Caught you staring."

"Who?" Lay whispered, leaning closer towards Kai to see who he was referring to but that only made Kai roll his eyes at his friend, "No one."

Lay scoffed, moving back to his seat as he grabbed Kai's attention when Kai was following his friend's movement. Lay gave Kai a small shaking of his head as he muttered softly, "I'll figure it out anyway."

"Good luck with that." Kai breathed out briefly, shifting on his seat where he sat properly to look forward to focus on the lesson. Lay groaned and gave in quick, "Just tell me, damn it!"

"Shh," Kai placed a finger on his lips, only to use that exact same finger to point to the front, "The lesson is going on."

"Yeah," Lay snorted, "It was going on thirty minutes ago, ."

"Says the himself."

"You're a ."

"I have one anyway."

 


 

"Alright, what's really going on?" Lay was rather confused, unsure of why Kai was walking towards her locker that was down by the hall. Lay felt that if he and Kai were to come any closer, she could burn them down to pieces. "Kai, if we piss her off-"

"I don't care." Kai snapped, gripping onto Lay's arm, "We're just following orders."

Lay hesitated, "W-We can back out...!"

"We're not going to." Kai deadpanned, leaving Lay to sigh, "We're so getting our asses kicked."

Before she could put her books back into the locker, a hand shot up to slam it, earning a few stares from people walking down the hall. She closed her eyes irritably, a huge sigh evident to his ears and that brought a smirk to his lips when her eyes opened tiredly to glare at him. Well, she tried to - but she's been glaring too much at him that he got immune to it. Plus, she got sick of glaring at him that she decided to just stick to staring at him blankly - it took lesser effort too.

"What?" Her voice was soft, but there was no denying that the two of them couldn't tell what she was feeling.

It's better that way. Or at least, on this day.

"You're coming with us. Mr. Kang wants to talk." Kai spoke up, letting go of his friend's arm who was now gaping at both Kai and Hee Young.

"W-Wait, what?" Lay's eyes popped open, gulping nervously as he didn't know what was going on. Instead of responding properly, she tried to open her locker door but Kai's hand remained firm on the metal door, making it almost impossible for her to open it. "Didn't you hear me? He wants to talk to you now." He emphasized on the word 'now' and added in a snarl to sound serious but all she did was yank her locker door open with force, making his hand move aside just so she could shove her books in before slamming it even louder than he did before, making a few people flinch at the agressiveness she possessed - but it was just a show. There was no way she would want to appear as weak compared to Kai. "Tell him I'll see him when I see him."

When she her heels, Kai shook his head and he shoved his bag into his friend's hands, "Don't say I didn't warn you, then."

"Kai wait - holy ." Lay cursed softly when Kai abruptly lunged forward, harshly spinning Hee Young around and before she could say or do anything, the people around her were already gasping at the fast move Kai pulled on her. "Surprised?" Kai's voice was filled with amusement, using this opportunity to snatch her bag away where he tossed it over his shoulder only to let Lay hastily lean forward to catch the bag in his hands. When he caught Hee Young's bag, he let out a relieved sigh and a groan, "Give me a heads up, damn it!"

Kai laughed, a response to his friend but her eyes followed the movements of her bag before her looked back at Kai to sneer at him, "You sure are good in putting on a show."

"Just wait, it's about to get better."

Her eyebrows furrowed, lips pressed into a thin line before she muttered, "What?"

He raised two of his eyebrows for a second, effectively luring her away just so he could advance forward to bend down where he gripped onto her legs to yank her over his shoulder. She knew if she shouted, he would try to be deaf. If she tried to make any offensive comments, he'd bite back his tongue. If she were to hit him as many times as she like until bruises would form, he would easily try to absorb all of that without a complaint. So she just allowed him to have his way - she wasn't stupid to act like some psychopathic drama queen in the first place; it was a total no-no.

She had completely forgot how Kai could turn her life upside down.

"You are so ed when I'm off your shoulder." She grumbled darkly into his ears but he could only smirk, "We'll see about that." He looked over his shoulder and he managed to mute all the small chatters that were invading his personal space. As for her, she had already made everyone's voice excluding Kai's to be heard in her mind; it took her years of practice just to do this. Lay stood there with his lips parted, still not back into reality until Kai waved a hand at Lay as if he was a lost puppy, "Come along, now."

 


 

"Can I get off your shoulder now?" Hee Young groaned, lightly using her leg to kick his lower back. Kai could only snicker, putting her down in front of Mr. Kang who had his eyes wide open as he was stretching on the floor in the quiet dance practice room. "Sup, Mr. K!" Lay greeted, a huge smile on his face as he put down the bags he was carrying. Mr. Kang smiled, nodding at Lay's greeting, "Hey, Lay. What brings you here-?"

Mr. Kang's sentence was interrupted by clearing, effectively bringing his attention back to the girl who blew her fringe away from her hair along with the rolling of her eyes as she looked down on her dance teacher. "What's so important that you had to see me now?"

Mr. Kang furrowed his eyebrows, "I never said that I had to see you now."

When Kai met with Hee Young's death glare and Mr. Kang's questioning look, he meekly smiled, "Well you said you wanted to see her."

"I never said it was urgent." Mr. Kang clarified, causing Kai to lightly push Hee Young on her back, "Whatever it is - she's here now!"

"Prick." Hee Young cursed lowly, shaking her head at him before she crouched down, "What the hell did you call me?" Kai snapped, crouching down beside her as his eyes were fixed on hers. Laughing at the little show, Lay decided to just leave, silently taking his bag before he closed the door behind him as he left. When Mr. Kang could see that only the three of them were in this room, he felt like everything was back to normal. As if the final pieces of his puzzle he's been trying to solve was finally perfect. All he needed to do was just train the both of them to be partners.

Hee Young decided to sit on the floor, mirroring Mr. Kang who was sitting opposite her and Kai followed along - making the three of them sit in a triangle facing each other. "So, Kai, are you ready to know what your first dance piece is with Hee Young?"

Kai smirked, eyeing Hee Young deviously, "Definitely."

"And you, Hee Young?" Mr. Kang laughed, looking over at Hee Young who was awfully quiet. Kai frowned, using his arm to nudge her, "Stupid, he's talking to you."

She was startled for a moment, a sign she was deep in her thoughts as she blinked up to Kai and Mr. Kang staring at her attentively. "Y-Yeah sure, whatever..." She mumbled softly, standing up where she used a thumb to point over her shoulder, "I have to go now - just tell me when's the first class and I'll be here."

When she messily made her way towards her bag, Kai immediately went after her, harshly gripping onto her hand that tried to open the door, "Hey! We're partners now and you can't just walk out on a discussion whenever you'd like!"

"I'm not walking out on it - I'm just not ready for it." She defended herself, attempting to pry her hand away but he held onto it tighter.

"If dancing isn't important to you in the first place - why take the ing key?"

Her breath hitched for the third time he was allowed to hear, his eyes fixed on her as he could feel that she wasn't struggling anymore to make him release his grip on her. She swallowed hard, her voice growing soft, "It's important to me."

Kai's heart skipped a beat, unusual to the way she was speaking to him right now. How could she be so fragile in a split second? "It's so important that I failed to prioritize which is more important and which is not. Because of dancing, I-" Her eyes looked up to meet with his as they locked eye contact for a brief moment. Kai's lips parted, not because he had anything to say. Because he was shocked by the amount of sadness that were glazed over her usually fiery eyes. She bit back her tongue, unable to speak and when Mr. Kang had ordered Kai to let her go, she had once again left the room without a word.

Kai's eyes were on the door that had just closed, his mind occupied on what she could've said but all of it was put to a halt when Mr. Kang called his name. He looked over his shoulder, looking at his teacher motioning him towards his teacher and he followed diligently, carefully taking small steps towards his teacher who made him sit down on the floor. "She's fragile, Kai."

Kai frowned, "Fragile? Her? You have got to be kidding me."

Mr. Kang smiled, "I'm not, actually. She's not your average girl."

Kai sneered, getting down on the floor to sit opposite Mr. Kang, "I think I got that in my mind already."

Kai waited for a minute or two, waiting for Mr. Kang to say something but there was nothing. He pressed his lips uncertainly - did I say the wrong thing? He thought with a quiet sigh. He swore that his heart leaped when Mr. Kang broke the deadly silence, "What do you think about her, then, Kai?" Mr. Kang's voice was soft as his head lifted up where he had caught a glimpse of Kai holding his breath. Kai exhaled calmly, looking around the room but he soon stopped when he answered, "Well, she's..."

Kai found himself not being able to continue his words, he found himself getting stuck.

This is the first time this happened in ages.

He his lips nervously, furrowing his eyebrows just a little as he took in a deep breath, hoping he could exhale out an answer but no. There was no answer coming up to his mind. Sure he would immediately say 'cocky', 'cold' and all the usual words he could find but whenever he's with Mr. Kang, he finds himself being honest.

And honestly, he doesn't even know what he really thought about her.

"I... I don't know." 

Mr. Kang managed to smile, scooting closer where he gave Kai a pat on the shoulder. "Maybe it's time you found out more about your partner." Kai's head lifted up, an eyebrow cocked up as if his look meant, 'are you serious?'. Mr. Kang could only laugh, patting his shoulder again before he got up to sigh down on Kai, "She's not as bad as she seems. Just try. She's after all, your partner."

 

My partner... huh?

 


 

"Hello, hello!" A guy chimed by her locker but her look remained blank as she stared at the paper she had down on her hand. Minseok pursued his lips, tiptoeing over her shoulder to catch a glimpse of what was written on the paper. His eyes widened with shock and his voice was louder than usual, his mind having two words: 'No way!'

"You're going back to dancing?!"

Hee Young hissed sharply, looking over her shoulder where she gave Minseok a half glare. Minseok swallowed hard and noticed that there were people staring at him that he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, his voice trembling, "Y-You know, for the dance talent show that maybe you might never join but we'll see this year...?"

Everyone went back to their business, just mentally making a statement that Minseok was talking crap.

Hee Young slammed her locker and her heels, rolling her eyes at Minseok while she was at it. He slapped a hand over his mouth, trailling behind her quietly as she made her way towards the principle's office. The second she stood in front of the large, brown doors, Minseok's hand gripped onto her arm quickly, tugging her to the side with worried eyes, "H-Hee Young... What are you going to do in there?"

She sighed, tugging her arm off from his grip as well as using her free hand to rake it through her slightly brown locks, "In order to join back dancing officially, I need the approval from the principle."

Minseok gulped - this wasn't a good sign. "C-Can't you just ask him when you get back-?"

"I never went back home ever since she started dating him, Minseok." Hee Young cut him off just like that, making him feel guilty for ever needing to bring that up. "S-Sorry..." He mumbled apologetically, but she only shrugged it off. "It's alright. All I need is his signature, and I'm out of there."

Minseok frowned, "What if-?"

"He disagrees?" She scoffed, "Even if he will, I'll just forge his signature."

Minseok gasped, "That'll get you expelled!"

"And that'll be my ticket out of here."

The boy shook his head and sighed, "Noona isn't going to like this..."

"She doesn't have to like everything I do. I'm going to go in there now. So stay here and wait for me."

Minseok didn't like this one bit and he tried to stop her but the moment her eyes gave him a stern look, he gave up and stepped to the side where he nodded and stayed put. Things weren't going to end well and she knew that.

 


 

"Hey, want to catch some movie this Friday? There's this really good movie that just released. Me and the guys thought it would be a good time to catch up." Luhan, supposingly Kai and Lay's close friend had suggested, tagging behind them as they walked down the halls. Lay gave a grin, "I'm down with that."

They looked at Kai who was rather interested in something else, and they smirked when they noticed his eyes were on a girl.

"What do you think, Kai?" Lay nudged Kai by his arm with a loopsided grin. Luhan caught on quick, "Yeah, Kai. What do you think?"

"Yeah, sounds great but I've got to go..." Kai's voice trailled off, his voice uninterested as he paced off towards where she had turned, down the hall where he followed. Luhan gave Lay a nudge, "How about we make this more than just a guy's night out? I haven't seen that look in his eyes for a long time."

Lay smirked, "I'm also down with that."

 


 

"So finally, you've decided to come see me." The principal smiled (well, he tried) as he leaned back against his seat. Hee Young tried to fake a smile, but she ended up just giving him a blank look, taking a step closer to slide the paper on his table. "I need your signature as an approval."

He was rather surprised, eyes widening as he caught a glimpse of what that letter was about.

And need he say, he saw this coming.

"Dancing... I see."

Hee Young clicked her tongue - she knew he was provoking her in any way he could and she didn't blame him for that. 

Because she could play that game too.

"And I see that your wedding is coming up soon - is anyone going?"

His eyes darkened, leaning forward where he gave her a small glare, "Kwan Hee Young, you do not talk to your-"

"Father?" Hee Young finished his sentence, a smug grin on her face as she did so. "The last time I checked, I lost my father when I was fifteen."

The older man on the chair sighed, getting up where he shook his head, "H-Hee Young, I didn't mean-"

"What?" She scoffed in disbelief, eyes boring into his soul as she stared at him. "Didn't mean what?"

The man lifted up the paper and kept silent, eyes flickering down where he had a small idea. It may not be such a good idea, but at least it's a start. Even if it may not make things alright, he could try.

"If I sign this, you have to attend the spring dinner this Saturday. Your mother wants you there more than anything."

Hee Young sneered, "Not a chance."

The man lifted up the paper higher, fingers inching to rip it apart, "Then forget about thi-"

"I don't even have a date to go with!" She raised her voice, fist banging on the table. He blinked at her with a small smile, at least she was progressing to saying more to him than just the regular cold words she'd greet him with. "I'm sure you could go with that friend of yours. Min-"

"He has a life of his own in the weekends." She gritted through her teeth, making the man shake his head again as he opened his eyes tiredly to look at her. She wasn't lying - Minseok usually would go back to visit his parents during the weekends and just because she doesn't have the will to do so on her own 'family', doesn't mean she can just take someone else's chance to. However, he didn't care, "Find a date and you can go with-"

His voice was cut off the moment two knocks came from the door. With another sigh, he spoke up, "Come in."

With the creaking of the door, Hee Young groaned inwardly, head falling back when Kai stepped into the room with a small smirk. "I wouldn't want to intrude but-"

"Then get out." Hee Young deadpanned, giving him a glare but he shrugged it off, "I wouldn't mind being her date, sir."

Oh, great. Hee Young could swear that if there was a knife somewhere in this room, she'd stab herself.

Kai was still receiving a glare from Hee Young but this was just too amusing for the principal to care. "What's with the sudden interest, Kai?"

The younger boy smiled, "She's my dance partner - so I'll take up responsibility for her to join."

She scoffed loudly. Kai? Responsible? This is just getting too twisted.

"Forget it. I'll ask Minseok to-" Her voice trailled off when the principal sat back down, fishing out a pen where he had put down his signature along with words of approval before he slid it across the table for Hee Young to grab. Hee Young stared at the paper, Minseok's head peeking from the door and Kai's lips forming a smirk. He politely took the card from the principle of where the venue would be along with a few details like the dressing code and such but he was too immersed into Hee Young's stare that she gave to the principal.

"These are all you need to know about the spring dinner. I hope you have a gre-" His voice was once again cut off the moment there was a loud bang from the door. Hee Young had left, well, stormed out of the office without even taking the approval paper she came in with in the first place. The principal shrugged it off as if it was nothing, "-great time this Saturday. See you there."

Kai was left in a daze, his eyes on the card but his eyes trailled off to the approval paper.

What the ? She didn't even take it?

"You might want to give that to her. She wouldn't possibly come back here just to take it." The principal's voice contained a bit bitterness but it was none of Kai's business. With a small 'yes, sir', he had reached over for the paper, bowed a little out of courtesy before he walked out of the office. He was greeted with Minseok's half smile that was obviously pulled on. "So, I'm assuming you have a lot of questions?" Minseok asked and Kai could only nod.

Minseok nodded his head with a clicking of his tongue, "I thought so."

Minseok was the first one to walk away from the dorm with Kai still standing there as if he was imitating a statue. Minseok stopped, looking over his shoulder where he gave Kai a grin, "Aren't you coming along?"

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, "Where to?"

"Where else do you think?" Minseok pointed ahead of him, "We're going to get some lunch."

Kai had an eyebrow up, "What?"

"Trust me," Minseok smiled, giving Kai an assuring nod, "It's not just going to be you and me."