-01

Take My Breath Away

Chapter One
"You know, The Kai?!"

9th of December 2013


 

Kai, you’re late again.

Mr. Kang, the well known dance teacher of the university spoke up but Kai simply waved a hand as he entered  the dance room lifelessly. “Yeah, it just surprises you, doesn’t it?”

Everyone let out a soft sigh just listening to Kai's tone to the teacher he used to look up to. Now all Kai does is come late for classes or sometimes, he even skips it - giving the excuse 'I don't see why I can't'. Just when will Kai let his old self come back to his body? What happened to the passionate dancer who would be the first one to be so energetic when it comes to dancing?

Mr. Kang sighed in expectance, pointing at the space on the floor where Kai would usually sit beside his friends. “Just take your seat.”

Kai smirked and sat down on the floor before the lesson begun. No one knows when, how or why Kai became like this but they would sure kill to know. The top dancer of the university just decides to stop dancing but still attends this dance class because it was chosen in his package as he made it a permanent class - saying he would never replace this class but look at him now. It looks like he couldn't even be bothered to attend it anymore. He only has a year and a half before his years in university ends.

Wouldn’t all his talent and hard work for the past two years go to a waste? Yes.

Did that bother him? Unfortunately, no.

 



 

“C’mon Kai, dance with me. This year I want to join the Annual Dance Competition and actually kick . Last year I didn't join because you somehow miraculously chose 'not to dance'.” Lay, Kai’s close friend and supposingly his dance partner nudged him by his arm. “Go dance with someone else.” Kai said blankly, uninterested with his friend’s request - hands shoved into his pockets as he clenched onto the material of his jeans. “Dude, you’re my dance partner every single assignment we have. Because of you, I have to dance with Soon Hae. This is a living hell with her and my girlfriend agrees to want to strangle Soon Hae at certain times. Now you won’t join the competition with me?”

“Yeah.”

“That means you’ll join with me?” Hope was filled in Lay's voice.

“No.”

His hope disappeared instantly as Lay mumbled softly, “Some friend you are.” Kai simply grinned as he shrugged his shoulders. “I’m not the only dancer in the school.”

"Screw off." Lay grumbled, making Kai chuckle as the two boys walked down the halls, making girls squeal along the way but it didn't bring any effect to them, really. Lay, afterall, already has a girlfriend and Kai was simply uninterested with all the girls in the school. Some girls either want him for his looks, for the amount of popularity he has or because he’s good in bed… or so everyone thinks so. Of course, he has his experiences but he wasn’t exactly the type to go around sleeping with girls even though everyone thinks so.

But yet, he was somehow labelled as a 'playboy'. The irony behind the truth.

“Watch where you’re going.” A girl spoke up when Kai accidentally brushed his arm against hers, causing him to halt his tracks when she snapped at him. Did she just...? Kai scoffed and turned around to look at the girl dressed in a pair of jeans, black tank top with brown locks covering her shoulders from the back.

“Excuse me?” Kai raised his voice but there was no reply.

“Hey, I’m talking to you!” Kai shouted with a hand pointing at her but she simply ignored him, rushing off to her next class and he let his hand fall to his side with an irritated huff. “Who the hell?” Kai cursed and Lay smirked. He somehow loved it whenever Kai was like this, it amuses the heck out of him because it was rare to see Kai getting worked up over nothing. In this case, this was considered to be nothing but yet he was going to blow up about it.

That was very unlikely of Kai.

“That’s Hee Young.” Kai scoffed and shoved his hands into his pocket. “Hee what?

“Hee Young." Lay chuckled. "Kwan Hee Young.

“And is she important?” Kai asked monotonously as Lay smiled a little. “She’s somewhat a nobody.” Kai furrowed his eyebrows before he used his elbow to hit Lay’s arm, signaling him to go on. “People say she’s one of the most gorgeous girls in the university but… she doesn’t like everyone here. Not even you - based on how she just snapped at you like that."

Kai hissed softly as he threatened to smack Lay in the face but Lay grinned.

"No sweat, Kai. She doesn't like everyone here anyway - except that guy she hangs around with... uh... Minseok, I think."

“Kwan Hee Young…” Kai muttered her name softly before he narrowed his eyes at the figure that walked away from him that was long gone. 

How come I’ve never seen her before?



 


“She’s usually in the libraries or in the study rooms. You should check there. Do you like her already?”

Those words from Lay rang at the back of his head and he decided to find the girl who got stuck in his mind the whole day. He wanted to smack Lay for jumping to conclusions but, it doesn’t really matter. He’s positive he’s never seen her before in this university, maybe a glance or two but he has never actually seen her directly from head to toe. This urge and amount of curiosity in him was enough for Kai to hunt her down before he went back to his dorm. At least just a quick glance of how she looked like just to see if she is someone he knew before because her name sounds oddly familiar.

Although he doubts he knows her - no one he knows would talk to him like that.

Especially if it's a girl.

He entered the library silently and the girls in there squealed as well as squirming in their seats but he placed a finger on his lips, silencing them completely as well as sweeping them off their seats like a hurricane. He shook his head when he immediately labeled each and every girl before him as unimportant to him. He walked down the rows and he picked up the pace each time a girl squealed. He stopped and paused when he walked by one specific row of books but it was silent.

Furrowing his eyebrows, he took a few steps back to see that a girl was leaning against the bookshelf on the ground with a book in her hands, uninterested the fact that he was there. Is that her? He narrowed his eyes at her as he turned to walk towards her silently. She simply pulled her knees up so he could walk by, thinking he was just another passer-by but she was wrong when he stopped just as he reached beside her. Still ignoring his existence, he waved a hand a little but she didn’t even look up to him.

She was just reading for her upcoming exams as she majored in photography. She was learning in deeper about all the types of angles in taking a nice photo that she couldn’t care about anyone around her. It was always like this whenever she’s studying. He doubt it would be her considering her clothes were different but he just wanted to try his luck.

Whenever Kai wants something, he won’t stop at anything until he gets it. And in this case, it’s finding out who is this Hee Young person. Somewhat a girl who appears to be ‘no one’ to the whole university.

“Are you Kwan Hee Young?” Her eyes widened a little but he didn’t catch that, considering Kai couldn’t even see her eyes.

“Who wants to know?” She changed the pitch of her voice a little, making it more hoarse than it was supposed to be and he sighed. Well, are you her?”

She shook her head and Kai shook his. It wasn’t exactly urgent to find this Hee Young girl but somehow, at first glance she seems different. And by different, he means that she's not an obsessive lunatic like half the girls in this university.

“Do you know who she is?” Another shake of the head but this time she took the initiative to ask, “Why do you want to know?”

Kai was going to answer as his lips parted but he scoffed instead. “If you don’t know who she is, I don’t think I need to tell you why I want to see her. Mind your own business, yeah? Thanks.” From there he turned around and walked out of the library since that row was the last row of bookshelves in the library. She simply smirked and sighed as she closed her book with the same theory she and her sister agreed to.

“Boys will be boys.” She mumbled and she stood up from the ground.

“Hee Young!” A guy called out from her right and she didn’t turn around, she waited for him to do it. That was exactly what he did when his hands landed on her shoulders. He smiled at her and ruffled her hair. “I knew you were in here!” He chimed but she placed a hand over his mouth. “You’re going to kill us for being too loud in the library. I swear, if I get to detention again because of you, you're going to answer to my sister.”

He grinned but pushed her hand away from his mouth to speak as he held onto her hand. “I heard Kai was looking for you.” She remained emotionless and pulled her hand away from his - cocking an eyebrow. “You know, the Kai?”

Yeah, the KaiKim Jongin. She thought irksomely. “Yeah, so I’ve heard.”

“Well?" Minseok tilted his head in expectation but she smirked amusingly. "Well what?"

"Did you meet him? What did he say? Does he want to pair up with you for a dan-?!" She slapped a hand over his mouth and scanned around the area to make sure no one was looking or even paid attention to them considering it was slightly impossible based on how loud Minseok was. I have really got to train him to shut up sometimes... She thought with a grumble as she pulled her hand away from his mouth with a glare.

"You need to keep your fanboy feels away from me, Minseok. I get he's your role model - which I don't see why but he's not mine and he'll never be. You know that no one is supposed to know and for two years, I've been doing a good job keeping a low profile but thanks to him being an to bump into me today, I have a feeling he's not going to sit around quietly so if you're going to rat out on me, I say you better don't at all."

Minseok blinked at her in guilt and meekly placed a hand over his mouth with a silent apology in his mind. He didn't even know if he should speak at the moment. Her eyes shut momentarily with a soft sigh as she raked her fingers through her hair before she took a step back from the latter. "S-Sorry, I was jus-" Her voice was cut off when Minseok trapped her in his embrace quietly, sincerely showing her that he didn't mean to rat out on her at all - now she felt guilty.

She knew that Minseok couldn't control his mouth sometimes but he was trying to, considering he was her best friend. Minseok knows her inside out and all of her deepest secrets that only himself and her sister knows and to almost blurt it out like that with a loud voice, he knew she had every right to lose it like this because she only needs to carry on with university for a year an a half and she won't see any of these people ever again - well, hopefully. "M-Minseok, we're in public. Get-"

"I'm sorry." His voice entered her mind and the last thing she wants is for him to cry or even get all emotional. She get that she's not good with sugar coating her words but she was already used with just speaking her mind - especially when she's with Minseok. Inhaling deeply, she managed to mumble softly, "Pay for dinner tonight, and we'll call it quits."

"Deal!"

 


 


"He nearly what?!" The oldest one by the table exclaimed loudly when Minseok frowned, "I didn't mean to..."

Hee Min put her bowl down to point the chopsticks at Minseok's face, "If the whole university finds out, it's not going to be easy, Minseok!" The boy groaned and rubbed his face with his hands before he lifted his chin to pout at her, "Noona, I'm sorry! But Hee Young forgave me." Hee Min raised an eyebrow, turning her head to her sister for confirmation. Hee Young simply gave a nod, "He's paying for dinner."

"Ah..." Hee Min let out softly as she turned to look at Minseok with a small smile, "As long as she's alright with it then..."

"Noona, first one to eat five riceballs-" His voice trailed off when Hee Young put her hoodie on, lightly kicking Minseok's leg underneath the table. "Ouch! What was tha-?!" He cut himself off when Hee Min simply cupped his chin and directed it to where Hee Young was referring to. MInseok swallowed and sighed softly when Lay and Kai came to the same restaurant they came for dinner.

I knew we should've ate at a different restaurant.

"Way to choose a great restaurant." Hee Young grumbled softly, causing Minseok to pout. "I didn't know they eat here!"

Hee Young rolled her eyes irritatedly, "Let's just finish eating and leave. The sooner the better."

 


 

"It's packed, Lay. Why here?" Kai asked as he looked around in the restaurant when clearly there was no empty tables available. "The food here is good, trust me."

Kai rolled his eyes. "There are no vacant tables, Lay."

"Maybe we could share tables?" Lay suggested and Kai glared at the latter. "Just because you're taken, doesn't mean those girls we share table with won't try their luck. What more with me? I won't get out alive."

Lay snickered and let his laughter died down when he spotted a friend, "Come. We have a table."


 


 

"Maybe they won't even notice us." Hee Min tried to lighten up the mood when clearly, Hee Young was already in a bad one.

"Yeah, may-" Minseok's voice trailed off when two boys appeared by their table.

"Hey Minseok! Xiumin, my man! Could we share tables? I'm really sorry to be a bother but we haven't eaten yet."

Minseok clenched his eyes shut and Hee Min literally slapped her own forehead.

"Damn it." Minseok muttered softly but he smiled awkwardly at both Lay and Kai, "S-Sure, take a seat." Minseok offered quietly as Lay and Kai bowed politely, taking the remaining seats by their table. Kai taking the one beside Hee Young, while Lay took the one beside Minseok. "You come here often? Thanks by the way, you're a real life saver." Lay asked Minseok with a smile and Minseok rubbed the back of his neck weirdly, "Y-Yeah, I do. Mostly with them."

Minseok had officially killed himself just by saying that. Hee Min kicked Minseok's leg underneath the table when clearly, he shouldn't even mention them at all but he just did.

Not being able to stand it any longer or risk the chances of Kai talking to her, Hee Young stood up and slammed her chopsticks on the table as she tugged onto her hoodie. Without saying a word as she ignored the stares from the people by her table as she her heels to walk back to her dorm - since their dorm was nearby the restaurant. Her sudden outburst caused Kai and Lay to both jerk up in their seats as they glanced at one another unsurely.

"A-Are you sure it's alright we sit here?" Kai asked next, causing Minseok to shake his head but then he quickly nodded.

"Y-Yeah, I have to go now. Help yourselves with the food here!" Minseok stood up and messily pulled out his wallet to pass it to Hee Min who held onto his wallet with two hands. "N-Noona! Here! Pay the meal when they're done!" With that, Minseok hurriedly kicked his chair back as he ran off to chase after the girl who had just stormed her way out of the restaurant.

Hee Min was left with the two university boys who stared at her blankly. She smiled awkwardly and meekly said, "E-Eat. Order more if you need to."

She looked away with her head hanging low.

Minseok, you've really done it this time...